Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Way to go!

3 posters

Go down

Way to go! Empty Way to go!

Post by Guest Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:37 pm

Coming out as LGBT is rarely easy, which makes Jacob Rudolph's story
all the more impressive. When the high school student in Parsippany,
N.J., came out, he did so in front of the entire school. His classmates
responded with a standing ovation.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/high-school-senior-comes-gay-while-accepting-award-230305217.html

I love his guts and I love the reaction of the high school students. The country seems to be headed in the right direction.

Back to top Go down

Way to go! Empty Re: Way to go!

Post by Maria S Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:12 pm

Kinnera,

I have mixed feelings about this..since he is a high school senior, I assume he is 16-18 years old.

While he has every right to do with what he wants to do..why talk about one's personal matter- sexual orientation in an academic event/commencement?

*As we all know..sexuality- orientation, for many people is still complex-complicated. My own view is from 12-18 a young person is still undergoing enormous personal development (physical, psychological, sexual etc)..trying to mature and figure out who they are in so many aspects..imo again..most are true (*for lack of a perfect term)heterosexuals, some are true homosexuals, and some are true bisexuals.

*While I am sensitive-understand this young man's needs for public validation, do wonder about what kind of message this sends to other children..who are at this school, and now on line reading this..if they are not sure about their sexual orientation/confused..are they supposed to declare themselves as homosexuals publicly..with all the standing ovation- what does this have to do with academic accomplishments? Why the glorification of sexual orientation?

What if children (maturation is different as individuals), want to declare themselves as homo/heterosexual in middle school - 8th grade graduation (age 13-15).

Just wonder and have mixed feelings about this.

Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:07 pm

Maria, the kid is a high school senior and might as well be 18 yrs old (he can't be as young as 16). He probably is gay-gay, pretty sure that he is one.

I don't see anything wrong with him coming out at the high school assembly. The context seemed relevant. He got awarded for his acting skills and while receiving it, he said that he's been acting everyday of his life as something who he's not and just declared who he really is. It's not like he forced himself on to the stage, grabbed the microphone and announced that he is gay.

Rudolph notes that while he's acted in several plays over
his academic tenure, he's been acting every day as something he's not: a
straight person.
"Most of you see me every day, you see me acting the part
of straight Jacob," says Rudolph, as the crowd quiets. "When I am, in
fact, an LGBT teen."

As commented in your post above, I don't think he did it for validation. He just wanted to say who he is and relieve a burden upon himself. There's tremendous pressure on boys that age (even girls), especially white and black kids, to have a girl friend and he seems to be tired of acting as someone who he is not. Coming out must've set him free.

Why should anyone feel so sensitive to someone's sexual orientation that they get upset abt the kid talking abt it at the school assembly? btw, no one is asking middle school students to declare their sexual orientation. They can wait until they are older to get a clarity abt who they really are. The kid who declared is not in middle school. He is a senior in High school who is ready to go to college in a few months.

The standing ovation of the high schoolers is not about the glorification of his sexual orientation. It is to show their appreciation for his guts to reveal his truth in front of so many ppl and their wholehearted acceptance of whoever he is.

Back to top Go down

Post by nevada Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:25 pm

Why don't straight people "come out"? Wouldn't it be cool if school kids come out and say who they have the hots for as well?

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:27 pm

nevada wrote:Why don't straight people "come out"? Wouldn't it be cool if school kids come out and say who they have the hots for as well?

don't they do that all the time..on school corridors, on social networking, at proms, at homecomings, etc?

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:30 pm

Kinnera,

You call it "wholehearted acceptance", I call it "validation."

I still think it is glorification by the media (which loves public talk-confessions-admissions, esp. if it's about sex)..and think it sends mixed messages.

You are certainly entitled to your perceptions/views.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:31 pm

Maria S wrote:

You are certainly entitled to your perceptions/views.

So do you.

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:36 pm

I applaud his courage, and I am happy at the way the other kids reacted. The times, they are definitely changing. Hopefully, the time will come when, like straight people, gay people don't need to give a public speech regarding their sexual orientation.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum