Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rashmun will like this

5 posters

Go down

Rashmun will like this Empty Rashmun will like this

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:32 pm

Diabetes is more prevalent in urban areas of TN than in UP! Obviously, knowing Hindi helps in controlling diabetes!

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/South-India-worst-hit-by-diabetes/articleshow/18175487.cms

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Rashmun will like this Empty Re: Rashmun will like this

Post by Guest Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:46 pm

this is from the "slums" of chennai. Maybe all bhaiya log?

"It is a false belief that only those eating burgers and pizzas can get obese and develop diabetes. High consumption of [color:a4db=#0000FF !important]fried items such as kachori, samosa and gulab jamun can also led to the onset of diabetes,"

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:23 pm

It's the rice and all the rice based items that probably cause this. Tamilians shld eat more rotis.
It's a lil low in B'lore prolly coz they eat more jowar rotis (jonna rotte).

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:31 pm

kinnera wrote:It's the rice and all the rice based items that probably cause this. Tamilians shld eat more rotis.

that was also my impression.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:34 pm

Rashmun wrote:
kinnera wrote:It's the rice and all the rice based items that probably cause this. Tamilians shld eat more rotis.

Ya. Apart from learning Hindi, Tamilians should now start to learn to eat rotis.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:40 pm

kinnera wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

Ya. Apart from learning Hindi, Tamilians should now start to learn to eat rotis.

Tamil can have rice for lunch, but they should have rotis or chapatis or phulkas for dinner. Having rice for both lunch and also for dinner is causing the problem in my opinion.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:50 pm

Rashmun wrote:
kinnera wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

Tamil can have rice for lunch, but they should have rotis or chapatis or phulkas for dinner. Having rice for both lunch and also for dinner is causing the problem in my opinion.

...and breakfast (idlis, dosa, idiappam, aapam, etc are all rice items)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:17 pm

kinnera wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
kinnera wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

Does a vegetarian telugu not have rice items for breakfast, lunch, and dinner?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:28 pm

Rashmun wrote:
kinnera wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
kinnera wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

depends on the region. telangana and rayalaseema ppl eat more of chappatis and puris than andhras. rayaseema ones are also used to jowar rotis, bajra rotis, ragi rice, ragi malt/ganji and all

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:25 am

Kinnera: "depends on the region. telangana and rayalaseema ppl eat more of
chappatis and puris than andhras. rayaseema ones are also used to jowar
rotis, bajra rotis, ragi rice, ragi malt/ganji and all".

In coastal AP also we have regions where they eat jowar, ragi, etc. "Metta chEla mOtuvAAllu rAAllu koodaa jeerninchukuntAAru" - antaaru paddy area fellows!

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:34 am

Rashmun wrote:

From now on will you please be specific Telengan, Andhran or Rayalaseeman. I suggest that you get 2 friends from each region to learn everything about the various people of these areas.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:19 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

From now on will you please be specific Telengan, Andhran or Rayalaseeman. I suggest that you get 2 friends from each region to learn everything about the various people of these areas.

that is one way of looking at it but notice that the first language of the people of all regions is telugu (only excepting hyderabad where the first language could be hyderabadi).

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:20 am

Rashmun wrote:
Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

that is one way of looking at it but notice that the first language of the people of all regions is telugu (only excepting hyderabad where the first language could be hyderabadi).

On another note, Uppili, do you prefer having rice for breakfast, lunch, and dinner?

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:12 am

Vidya Bagchi wrote:this is from the "slums" of chennai. Maybe all bhaiya log?

"It is a false belief that only those eating burgers and pizzas can get obese and develop diabetes. High consumption of [color:accc=#0000FF !important]fried items such as kachori, samosa and gulab jamun can also led to the onset of diabetes,"

You guys are missing the whole point. Data given in this article proves that slum dwellers in the South, especially in Chennai, are leading luxurious life compared their counterparts in the North (particularly, UPites & Delhites).

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:22 am

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:Kinnera: "depends on the region. telangana and rayalaseema ppl eat more of
chappatis and puris than andhras. rayaseema ones are also used to jowar
rotis, bajra rotis, ragi rice, ragi malt/ganji and all".

In coastal AP also we have regions where they eat jowar, ragi, etc. "Metta chEla mOtuvAAllu rAAllu koodaa jeerninchukuntAAru" - antaaru paddy area fellows!

Adi nijam. Andhra vaaranta sukumaarulu kaadu Seema vaallu Smile. My mom says that when she was little, rice (vari annam) was a luxury and cooked only on special occasions. On other days it was jonna annam (jowar rice), ragi mudda (annam), korra annam (i don't think ppl of other regions even know what korralu are Smile ). As for rotis, it was mostly jonna rottelu and sadda rottelu (bajra rotis). But the thing is, they are all so healthy and full of nutrients.

Even to make dosas, they used to use jowar instead of rice.

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:35 am

kinnera wrote:

Adi nijam. Andhra vaaranta sukumaarulu kaadu Seema vaallu Smile. My mom says that when she was little, rice (vari annam) was a luxury and cooked only on special occasions. On other days it was jonna annam (jowar rice), ragi annam, korra annam (i don't think ppl of other regions even know what korralu are Smile ). But the thing is, they are all so healthy and full of nutrients.

Overindulging on rice is comparatively recent phenomenon (last 50 years or so), prior to that, normal diet included a lot of other grains even for the folks lived in Krishna Delta region.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:40 am

confuzzled dude wrote:
kinnera wrote:

Adi nijam. Andhra vaaranta sukumaarulu kaadu Seema vaallu Smile. My mom says that when she was little, rice (vari annam) was a luxury and cooked only on special occasions. On other days it was jonna annam (jowar rice), ragi annam, korra annam (i don't think ppl of other regions even know what korralu are Smile ). But the thing is, they are all so healthy and full of nutrients.

Overindulging on rice is comparatively recent phenomenon (last 50 years or so), prior to that, normal diet included a lot of other grains even for the folks lived in Krishna Delta region.

umm..

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:47 am

kinnera wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
kinnera wrote:

umm..

improvements in irrigation, high-yield per acre etc.,

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:03 am

confuzzled dude wrote:
kinnera wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
kinnera wrote:

umm..

improvements in irrigation, high-yield per acre etc.,

Ya, same with Seema ppl. The canals have improved their agriculture to a large extent, instead of they being solely dependent on rains. Previously, half their life was spent on desperately waiting for rains. Even now, whenever mom calls my uncles and cousins in the villages, one of her first questions is, 'vaanalu padinaya?' (has it rained?). She has seen a lot of karuvu kaatakaku (famines) in her life. Anyway, with the better irrigation system, the life styles and eating habits of the Seema ppl have changed too. More rice now in their diet than what it used to be.

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:48 am

Some Sreenatha's chaaTu poems making the same points:

This poem talks about his heavy losses in Boddupalli due to Krishna river flooding, cicadas eating whatever crop is left of sesame and moong dal, and his helplessness to pay the tax of Rs. 700.

కృష్ణ వేణమ్మ గొని పోయె నింత ఫలము
బిల బిలాక్షులు దినిపోయె దిలలు పెసలు
బొడ్డు పల్లెను గొడ్డేరి మోస పోతి
నెట్లు చెల్లింతు సుంకంబు లేడు నూర్లు ?

How people in Palnad (Guntur Dt) do all their cooking with jowar.

జొన్నకలి, జొన్నయంబలి
జొన్నన్నము, జొన్నపిసరు, జొన్నలెతప్పన్
సన్నన్నము సున్న సుమ్మీ
పన్నుగ పలనాటి సీమ ప్రజలందరికిన్

You should show your hardiness hy eating just one handful of jowar rice with spinach.

ఫుల్లసరోజనేత్ర అల పూతనచన్నుల చేదుద్రావి నా
డల్ల దవాగ్ని మ్రింగితినటంచును నిక్కెదవేమొ తింత్రిణీ
పల్లవయుక్తమై యుడుకు బచ్చలిశాకము జొన్నకూటితో
మెల్లగ నొక్కముద్ద దిగమ్రింగుము నీపస కానడయ్యెడిన్

In Palnad, even Manmatha (the price of gods with goddess Lakshmi for a mother, jas to eat jowar)

రసికుడు పోవడు పలనా
డెసగంగా రంభయైన నేకులె వడకున్
వసుధేశుడైన దున్నును
కుసుమాస్త్రుండైన జొన్నకూడే కుడుచున్

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:05 pm

indophile wrote:Some Sreenatha's chaaTu poems making the same points:

This poem talks about his heavy losses in Boddupalli due to Krishna river flooding, cicadas eating whatever crop is left of sesame and moong dal, and his helplessness to pay the tax of Rs. 700.

Ade mari, ati vrusti anaa vrusti. akkada delta region vaallaki ati vrusti toh baadhalu, ikkada arid region Seema vaallaki anaa vrusti toh baadhalu. Sigh!

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:31 pm

indophile wrote:

జొన్నకలి, జొన్నయంబలి
సన్నన్నము సున్న సుమ్మీ

Nice, thanks for posting these. I used to think this one was about Rayalaseema because my high school Telugu teacher said so. But now I know better.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:11 pm

panini press wrote:
indophile wrote:

జొన్నకలి, జొన్నయంబలి
సన్నన్నము సున్న సుమ్మీ

Nice, thanks for posting these. I used to think this one was about Rayalaseema because my high school Telugu teacher said so. But now I know better.

Sannannamu means rice!

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:45 pm

panini press wrote:
indophile wrote:

జొన్నకలి, జొన్నయంబలి
సన్నన్నము సున్న సుమ్మీ

Charu, your telugu teacher seems to be right. In the last two lines, he says, sannannamu sunna summi, pannuga (?) palanaati Seema prajalandarikin.

He is saying that except for all jowar and jowar products, rice (vari annamu) is nil for Seema people. That is my understanding of the verses.

As Confuzzled dude said, Sannannamu is rice.

(Seema ppl use the word, 'sanna' for small or chinna. Sanna Pillodu=chinna pillavaadu. sannannamu=rice which is small/fine)

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:00 pm

kinnera wrote:
panini press wrote:
indophile wrote:

జొన్నకలి, జొన్నయంబలి
సన్నన్నము సున్న సుమ్మీ

Charu, your telugu teacher seems to be right. In the last two lines, he says, sannannamu sunna summi, pannuga (?) palanaati Seema prajalandarikin.

He is saying that except for all jowar and jowar products, rice (vari annamu) is nil for Seema people. That is my understanding of the verses.

(Seema ppl use the word, 'sanna' for small or chinna. Sanna Pillodu=chinna pillavaadu. sannannamu=rice which is small/fine)
I get all that, but the poet is talking about palanATi sIma. That's Guntur district, Krishna river valley. My teacher used to say "rAyalasIma" instead of "palanATi sIma". "Seema" just means land or field, right? Rayalaseema is called that because of the Vijayanagara rAyalu. Konaseema is the Godavari delta, etc.

I guess before the rivers were tamed with big projects, even coastal Andhra was like Rayalaseema in terms of crops and what people could eat on a regular basis.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:03 pm

panini press wrote:
kinnera wrote:
panini press wrote:
indophile wrote:

జొన్నకలి, జొన్నయంబలి
సన్నన్నము సున్న సుమ్మీ

I get all that, but the poet is talking about palanATi sIma. That's Guntur district, Krishna river valley. My teacher used to say "rAyalasIma" instead of "palanATi sIma". "Seema" just means land or field, right? Rayalaseema is called that because of the Vijayanagara rAyalu. Konaseema is the Godavari delta, etc.

I guess before the rivers were tamed with big projects, even coastal Andhra was like Rayalaseema in terms of crops and what people could eat on a regular basis.

Hmmm...I guess you are right.

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:11 pm

kinnera wrote:
panini press wrote:
indophile wrote:

జొన్నకలి, జొన్నయంబలి
సన్నన్నము సున్న సుమ్మీ

Palnaadu is not in Rayalaseema. It is in Guntur district (Macherla area)!

In Guntur dist., the coastal belt (where I come from) is fertile (maagaani polaalu) and the interior (Sattenapalli, Chilakaluripeta, Vinukonda and Palnadu are mostly known for metta chElu - although Nagarjuna Sagar changed their fortunes for the better). Palnadu is famous for hardy people (Nalagaamudu, Brahmayya Naidu- from Srinadhudi "Palnaati Veera Charitra"). When I was a kid, we used to sing padyaalu from Palnaati Yuddham with PRIDE.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:03 am

Some of my ancestors are originally from Palanadu. They migrated away during some karuvu kaalam. One of them used to say it is short for Pallava nadu.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:41 am

Pallava nadu - Yes!

Most of the kings in Guntur area were vassals of other larger kingdoms in the South. Palnadu and Velnadu are the two main ones. Velnadu's area changed and at one time it went all the way up to Godavari. The main capital of Velnadu used to be Chandolu (close to my village) although they had capitals in Chebrolu, Pithapuram, etc., et different times. Velanaati brahmins are from this region.

During Palnati Yuddham, these small kindgoms participated in the war one one side or the other (like in Mahabharata). It, apparently, was a very bloody war in which several famous warriors from all these kingdoms perished.

Incidentally, Brahmayya Naidu was ahead of his times - he did not believe in the caste system.

Macherla and Karamchedu (of Palnadu) still are known to be ridden with fractions that settle scores in the most bloody ways.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down