Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The North Face: Northern states pulling away as growth stutters in 'arrogant' SI

4 posters

Go down

The North Face: Northern states pulling away as growth stutters in 'arrogant' SI Empty The North Face: Northern states pulling away as growth stutters in 'arrogant' SI

Post by Guest Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:28 am

http://www.outlookindia.com/article.aspx?280709

This is in response to the recent claim on this forum that SI might be better off breaking away from NI since the growth rate in SI is significantly higher.

Back to top Go down

The North Face: Northern states pulling away as growth stutters in 'arrogant' SI Empty Re: The North Face: Northern states pulling away as growth stutters in 'arrogant' SI

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:03 am

You are the one who is rubbing the SIs on this board on the wrong side with your posts on Hindi, Dakhin and Andhra Pradesh, etc. I won't blame you alone. This has been the attitude of NIs since independence. If you can't see the heavy handedness and false superiority complex, that doesn't mean you or this NI Sharma fellow should shift the blame to the SIs. If there are sentiments among the SIs (like KV, for example) against such NI behavior, and if you dismiss them in an insensitive way, it is not their fault. It is this behavior that actually fosters the friction between the two regions. It is time that the NIs mended their ways. I also suggest that the nations needs a joint capital - Delhi and a South Indian city.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

The North Face: Northern states pulling away as growth stutters in 'arrogant' SI Empty Re: The North Face: Northern states pulling away as growth stutters in 'arrogant' SI

Post by Guest Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:09 am

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:You are the one who is rubbing the SIs on this board on the wrong side with your posts on Hindi, Dakhin and Andhra Pradesh, etc. I won't blame you alone. This has been the attitude of NIs since independence. If you can't see the heavy handedness and false superiority complex, that doesn't mean you or this NI Sharma fellow should shift the blame to the SIs. If there are sentiments among the SIs (like KV, for example) against such NI behavior, and if you dismiss them in an insensitive way, it is not their fault. It is this behavior that actually fosters the friction between the two regions. It is time that the NIs mended their ways. I also suggest that the nations needs a joint capital - Delhi and a South Indian city.

There is no harm in having tough discussions. The writer of the article argues that NI has a lot to offer to SI and I agree.

The nation does not need a joint capital since that will give rise to all kinds of problems.

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:18 am

"There is no harm in having tough discussions. The writer of the article argues that NI has a lot to offer to SI and I agree."

Then, face the same toughness from others on this board.

"The nation does not need a joint capital since that will give rise to all kinds of problems."

This is typical NI attitude. What problems? Problems for bhaiyyas because they have to go to SI to approach the govt.? Why should a SI woman go to Delhi to get justice and in the process get raped?

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:24 am

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:"There is no harm in having tough discussions. The writer of the article argues that NI has a lot to offer to SI and I agree."

Then, face the same toughness from others on this board.

"The nation does not need a joint capital since that will give rise to all kinds of problems."

This is typical NI attitude. What problems? Problems for bhaiyyas because they have to go to SI to approach the govt.? Why should a SI woman go to Delhi to get justice and in the process get raped?

The vast majority of cases do not make it beyond the state high court level. With respect to the problems in having dual capitals it will take me some time to explain my position properly, I can't do it right now.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:29 am

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:You are the one who is rubbing the SIs on this board on the wrong side with your posts on Hindi, Dakhin and Andhra Pradesh, etc. I won't blame you alone. This has been the attitude of NIs since independence. If you can't see the heavy handedness and false superiority complex, that doesn't mean you or this NI Sharma fellow should shift the blame to the SIs. If there are sentiments among the SIs (like KV, for example) against such NI behavior, and if you dismiss them in an insensitive way, it is not their fault. It is this behavior that actually fosters the friction between the two regions. It is time that the NIs mended their ways. I also suggest that the nations needs a joint capital - Delhi and a South Indian city.

With respect to Hindi in AP and TN I gave the views of a few telugus and Tamils like Justices Sathasivam and Malimath, former AP CM YSR, Former AP MP and scholar Yarlagadda Lashmi Prasad and also speeches of current AP CM Kiran Reddy in Hyderabadi which served to show that Hyderabadi is actually Hindi (with minor differences).

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:30 am

Dutch is actually German (with minor differences).
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:39 am

Hellsangel wrote:Dutch is actually German (with minor differences).

The YouTube videos of AP CM Kiran Reddy which i had given earlier shows him giving speeches in Hyderabad in a language which is in fact hindi. What he is saying will be easily understood by anyone in the Hindi heartland.

You are welcome to give youtube videos of people speaking in Dutch and German to prove what you are saying.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:20 pm

Here you go:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_language

Dutch is closely related to German and English[n 5] and is said to be between them.[n 6] Apart from not having undergone the High German consonant shift, Dutch—like English—has mostly abandoned the grammatical case system, is relatively unaffected by the Germanic umlaut, and has levelled much of its morphology.[n 7] Dutch historically has three grammatical genders,[3] but this distinction has far fewer grammatical consequences than in German.[n 8] Dutch shares with German the use of subject–verb–object word order in main clauses and subject–object–verb in subordinate clauses.[n 9] Dutch vocabulary is mostly Germanic and contains the same Germanic core as German and English, while incorporating more Romance loans than German and fewer than English.[n 10]
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:28 pm

Hellsangel wrote:Here you go:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_language

Dutch is closely related to German and English[n 5] and is said to be between them.[n 6] Apart from not having undergone the High German consonant shift, Dutch—like English—has mostly abandoned the grammatical case system, is relatively unaffected by the Germanic umlaut, and has levelled much of its morphology.[n 7] Dutch historically has three grammatical genders,[3] but this distinction has far fewer grammatical consequences than in German.[n 8] Dutch shares with German the use of subject–verb–object word order in main clauses and subject–object–verb in subordinate clauses.[n 9] Dutch vocabulary is mostly Germanic and contains the same Germanic core as German and English, while incorporating more Romance loans than German and fewer than English.[n 10]

Not enough. I gave youtube videos of AP CM Kiran Reddy giving speeches in Hyderabad in Hyderabadi which anyone can see is actually Hindi. You should also give youtube videos to prove your point.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:28 pm

Rashmun wrote:

Not enough. I gave youtube videos of AP CM Kiran Reddy giving speeches in Hyderabad in Hyderabadi which anyone can see is actually Hindi. You should also give youtube videos to prove your point.

I see.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:30 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

I see.

You can't just shoot your mouth off without some evidence to back up your claim.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:32 pm

Rashmun wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

I see.

You can't just shoot your mouth off without some evidence to back up your claim.

Evidence like how TBT = b_A?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:33 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

I see.

That is an altogether different matter.

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:40 pm

Rashmun wrote:http://www.outlookindia.com/article.aspx?280709

This is in response to the recent claim on this forum that SI might be better off breaking away from NI since the growth rate in SI is significantly higher.

The biggest fallacy in this article is the comparison of just growth rate and not the absolute GDP in growth. If Bihar had a very low economic base to begin with, a higher than South Indian average growth doesn't necessarily prove that its economy is better than the South. Its like saying that a student whose marks went up from 40 to 60 out of 100 at a 50% growth is a better performer than a student whose marks went up from 80 to 85 out of 100 at a 6% growth.

I need to review the economic statistics by state to further comment on this subject.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:11 pm

goodcitizn wrote:
Rashmun wrote:http://www.outlookindia.com/article.aspx?280709

The biggest fallacy in this article is the comparison of just growth rate and not the absolute GDP in growth. If Bihar had a very low economic base to begin with, a higher than South Indian average growth doesn't necessarily prove that its economy is better than the South. Its like saying that a student whose marks went up from 40 to 60 out of 100 at a 50% growth is a better performer than a student whose marks went up from 80 to 85 out of 100 at a 6% growth.

I need to review the economic statistics by state to further comment on this subject.

Yeah! Nitish Kumar claims that Bihar is bursting with growth, while barking that the state should be classifed as a basket case (to get central funds)! Basketball

If the GDP of Haiti grows from $10 to $50, for NI Sharma and Rashmun, Haiti has become the most developed country and the US should bow down to it!

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:42 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

I see.

Have you passed on the handle to TBT now? We had pretty conclusive proof that it was you. I believe you were "caught" red-handed, no less.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:45 pm

panini press wrote:
Have you passed on the handle to TBT now? We had pretty conclusive proof that it was you. I believe you were "caught" red-handed, no less.

What can I say! People share handles on SUCH. Dangerous habit I know! Especially when the handles are not sterilized.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:49 pm

From the article:

Between 2007 and 2010, the average economic growth rate of the southern states decelerated from 7 per cent to 6.5 per cent, while that of the northern states accelerated from 4.5 per cent to 6.8 per cent.

As it turns out, the "deceleration" in the south is a minor change, while the north as essentially -- at last -- joined the growth story. Starting where it does, the north needs to grow much faster than the south for prolonged periods in order to just catch up with the south in terms of income. Also from the article: The North Face: Northern states pulling away as growth stutters in 'arrogant' SI Page_18_20120507

In this picture, look at the gap in per-capita income between Karnataka and AP on the one hand, and Bihar and UP on the other. The gap was present, but small, in 1990 (Bihar and UP had ~80% of the per-capita GDP of AP). Now, the southern states have more than twice the per-capita incomes of the northern states. Given that the population is growing faster in Bihar and UP, those states need a higher GDP growth rate just to keep up with the south on per-capita GDP.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:32 pm

Most of the younger generation in India, especially urban India, are people who are educated and well travelled. Jobs require them to settle and travel to various locations across the country. The amount of immigration within some states is so large that you would wonder whether they are native to that region in the first place. A point in case is Bangalore. The number of native Bangaloreans in Bangalore is negligible; it is filled with people from various cities across India. So if you take the growth of Bangalore, who would, you attribute it to? Would you attribute it to the natives of Bangalore or to the immigrants from other states that have engulfed Bangalore? Attributing growth rates to cities does not necessarily implicate that it is because of the native people of that region. It is an attribution to the merger of Indians in that city, so the debate about who is superior is irrelevant in some cases.

http://www.dnaindia.com/blogs/post_north-south-debate-do-we-need-it_1682241

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:44 pm

Rashmun wrote:Most of the younger generation in India, especially urban India, are people who are educated and well travelled. Jobs require them to settle and travel to various locations across the country. The amount of immigration within some states is so large that you would wonder whether they are native to that region in the first place. A point in case is Bangalore. The number of native Bangaloreans in Bangalore is negligible; it is filled with people from various cities across India. So if you take the growth of Bangalore, who would, you attribute it to? Would you attribute it to the natives of Bangalore or to the immigrants from other states that have engulfed Bangalore? Attributing growth rates to cities does not necessarily implicate that it is because of the native people of that region. It is an attribution to the merger of Indians in that city, so the debate about who is superior is irrelevant in some cases.

Rashmun, you conveniently left out the following paragraph where he does address the economic prosperity of the state (not just a city) countering his own argument. His blog is talking about states helping each other to attain unity within India.

The counter argument is that such phenomenon is only in cities. So be it, does it justify one stating one region is superior to the other? Shouldn’t the idea be more inclusive, i.e learning from other states to improving a specific state? Shouldn’t it be embracing diversity?

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:48 pm

MUMBAI: Southern India -- especially, Kerala, Karnataka and Tamil Nadu -- is greying much faster than the rest of the country. Uttar Pradesh, on the other hand, is projected to remain the youngest state for three decades, starting from 2011, and will be followed by Maharashtra, Bihar and West Bengal, says a study by the International Institute of Population Sciences.

http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2010-03-03/india/28123228_1_fertility-rate-poor-states-northern-states

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:49 pm

goodcitizn wrote:
Rashmun wrote:Most of the younger generation in India, especially urban India, are people who are educated and well travelled. Jobs require them to settle and travel to various locations across the country. The amount of immigration within some states is so large that you would wonder whether they are native to that region in the first place. A point in case is Bangalore. The number of native Bangaloreans in Bangalore is negligible; it is filled with people from various cities across India. So if you take the growth of Bangalore, who would, you attribute it to? Would you attribute it to the natives of Bangalore or to the immigrants from other states that have engulfed Bangalore? Attributing growth rates to cities does not necessarily implicate that it is because of the native people of that region. It is an attribution to the merger of Indians in that city, so the debate about who is superior is irrelevant in some cases.

Rashmun, you conveniently left out the following paragraph where he does address the economic prosperity of the state (not just a city) countering his own argument. His blog is talking about states helping each other to attain unity within India.

The counter argument is that such phenomenon is only in cities. So be it, does it justify one stating one region is superior to the other? Shouldn’t the idea be more inclusive, i.e learning from other states to improving a specific state? Shouldn’t it be embracing diversity?

That is one way of looking at it. I simply wanted to show that NI brings something to the table.

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:51 pm

Rashmun wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:

That is one way of looking at it. I simply wanted to show that NI bring something to the table.

Sure, NI does bring something to the table. But that is far from what one infers from the title of your post.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:52 pm

Here is that useful chart from the article again. I already highlighted the lower-half of the chart on per-capita GDP. Now let us look at the upper half, comparison of GDP numbers.The North Face: Northern states pulling away as growth stutters in 'arrogant' SI Page_18_20120507

In 1990-'91, the GDP numbers for AP, Karnataka and Bihar were withn 10-20% of each other. UP had a higher GDP than the other three, ~30% more than AP. By 2009-'10, Bihar's GDP is less than half that of AP. AP has closed the gap with UP in total GDP terms, just shy of it by ~10% now compared to ~30% two decades ago. Now, remember that UP has ~200 million people while AP has ~85 million; yet AP's GDP is within ~10% of UP's GDP.

No matter which side of the picture you pay attention to, this just reinforces the dangerous "falling behind" of the north while the south and west grow.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:56 pm

panini press wrote:Here is that useful chart from the article again. I already highlighted the lower-half of the chart on per-capita GDP. Now let us look at the upper half, comparison of GDP numbers.The North Face: Northern states pulling away as growth stutters in 'arrogant' SI Page_18_20120507

In 1990-'91, the GDP numbers for AP, Karnataka and Bihar were withn 10-20% of each other. UP had a higher GDP than the other three, ~30% more than AP. By 2009-'10, Bihar's GDP is less than half that of AP. AP has closed the gap with UP in total GDP terms, just shy of it by ~10% now compared to ~30% two decades ago. Now, remember that UP has ~200 million people while AP has ~85 million; yet AP's GDP is within ~10% of UP's GDP.

No matter which side of the picture you pay attention to, this just reinforces the dangerous "falling behind" of the north while the south and west grow.

Thanks for the charts, Car. Brilliant. That is why I had used the example of a student's score earlier in making the same point.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:57 pm

panini press wrote:Here is that useful chart from the article again. I already highlighted the lower-half of the chart on per-capita GDP. Now let us look at the upper half, comparison of GDP numbers.The North Face: Northern states pulling away as growth stutters in 'arrogant' SI Page_18_20120507

With respect to GDP, consider the fact that UP and Bihar were both bifurcated into two states in November 2000. This is to be kept in mind when studying the GDP figures for 1990-1991 versus 2009-2010.

Let us see what happens to the GDP of AP after it is bifurcated or trifurcated as the case may be.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down