Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Weekend movie-Grahanam

2 posters

Go down

Weekend movie-Grahanam Empty Weekend movie-Grahanam

Post by Guest Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:09 pm

Grahanam...a wonderful movie! Has subtitles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grahanam

Grahanam (Telugu: గ్రహణం; English Translation: The Eclipse) is a 2004 Telugu film directed by Indraganti Mohan Krishna. The film is based on the Novel and Story written by Gudipati Venkatachalam. The film won critical acclaim upon release and bagged National Film Award, for the Best First Film of a Director.
Awards

• Indraganti Mohan Krishna won the Indira Gandhi Award for Best First Film of a Director - 2005
  • Indraganti Mohan Krishna won the Nandi Award for Best First Film of a Director - 2005
  • Indraganti Mohan Krishna won the Gollapudi Srinivas Award Award - 2005

Back to top Go down

Weekend movie-Grahanam Empty Re: Weekend movie-Grahanam

Post by Guest Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:16 pm

Story from idlebrain

Saradamba (Jayalalitha) is a beautiful wife of a landlord Narayana Swamy (Tanikella Bharani) in a village. She is a kind woman who is well known for her charitable work. Kanakayya (Tallavajjula Mehaneesh) is a bright student from a poor family and he gets a free lunch (vaaraalabbai) at Saradamba's house. Saradamba is very fond of Kanakayya.

One fine day, Kanakayya falls ill. The medicine offered by the regular doctor is of no use. Parents of Kanakayya call in Kalimata's devotee and medicine practitioner Gopayya (Tallavajjula Sundaram) from neighboring village for an advice. After the check-up, Gopayya declares that Kanakayya is suffering from Doshagunam. According to him, Doshagunam is caused when a boy has sexual intercourse with a middle-aged woman. Gopayya advices Kanakayya's parents that the only panacea for Doshagunam is a concoction prepared with the blood extracted from the thigh of woman who had sex with Kanakayya. That night Kanakayya utters the name of Saradamba repeatedly in the sleep and it turns the needle of suspicion towards Saradamba.

Did Saradamba seduce Kanakayya? Would she give blood for Kanakayya's medicine? Is Doshagunam really a scientifically proven ailment or a myth? To know the answers, you must watch this film on the big screen.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:35 pm

...It throws up a moral dilemma. Kanakkaya would rather die than live through the. Post traumatic disorder resulting from sex with Jayalalita. Yet, the viewer wants him to live and live well to make up for the torture he has been through.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Obnoxious Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:06 am

I just loved this film! If this film was flawless, it would have been on my all time top films list. The film & characters were very well written. No film I've seen such authentic portrayal brahmin culture including the hypocrisies. What blew me away was the cultural subtleties. Contrasting of very similar yet different Vaidiki & niyogi cultures. I seriously think he should get into writing, considering his keen perception of people. He also comes from family of writers. He is grandson of a great writer Indraganti Hanumacchastry and son of Srikanta Sarma and Janaki baala.

Obnoxious

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down