Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

To the American citizens here

5 posters

Go down

To the American citizens here Empty To the American citizens here

Post by sambarvada Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:43 pm

===> When you want to stay in a hotel in India, do you give any Indian address when you register? What do you say if they ask you whether you are a citizen of India? Do you produce your American passport?

sambarvada

Back to top Go down

To the American citizens here Empty Re: To the American citizens here

Post by Hellsangel Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:10 pm

Take a hike, Sar Bhoj Paparajan.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:31 pm

sambarvada wrote:===> When you want to stay in a hotel in India, do you give any Indian address when you register? What do you say if they ask you whether you are a citizen of India? Do you produce your American passport?

It's better to be up front and tell them you are an American citizen, and they will ask for your passport. They do it for all non-Indian citizens. Something to do with security. If you say you are Indian when they specifically ask about citizenship, and if they find out you are not, that would turn into a field day for them, police, and assorted bureaucrats, all at your expense (you may not even be able to catch your previously scheduled flight home).

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:43 pm

sambarvada wrote:===> When you want to stay in a hotel in India, do you give any Indian address when you register? What do you say if they ask you whether you are a citizen of India? Do you produce your American passport?

Don't know. Never faced this problem. Only twice in all these years and trips I was recognized as a phoren-based Desi - despite my Saamiyaar dress. I usually go in White veshti, a market cloth bag, and an Umbrella - literally like Appusaamy Thatha. I only talk in tamil and claim to be a high school teacher, and get away easily every time. In fact, a couple of times, when I HAD to say that I was settled in US, I had to produce my drivers license to convince them.

So... my real problem is being thought of as a Hispanic in the South.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:56 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:Don't know. Never faced this problem. Only twice in all these years and trips I was recognized as a phoren-based Desi - despite my Saamiyaar dress. I usually go in White veshti, a market cloth bag, and an Umbrella - literally like Appusaamy Thatha. I only talk in tamil and claim to be a high school teacher, and get away easily every time. In fact, a couple of times, when I HAD to say that I was settled in US, I had to produce my drivers license to convince them.

So... my real problem is being thought of as a Hispanic in the South.

Saar...you know where to stay in evvwwery city - I know that for a fact after you suggested staying in Basavanagudi(?) area when in Blore...

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:04 pm

Richard Hed wrote:

Saar...you know where to stay in evvwwery city - I know that for a fact after you suggested staying in Basavanagudi(?) area when in Blore...

That wont be problem during my next trip. As I cant rely on my relatives anymore, I have bought a nice foldable "mat" (folds to a 1 ft by 2" tube), and an air pillow. With a thin bed sheet, I am ready to sleep anywhere like a true Saamiyaar. One of my favorite place is a bench in small railway stations. With nice breeze, and people showing up 24/7 and snack stalls nearby, I know why there are some who simply live in railways stations.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:19 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
Richard Hed wrote:

That wont be problem during my next trip. As I cant rely on my relatives anymore, I have bought a nice foldable "mat" (folds to a 1 ft by 2" tube), and an air pillow. With a thin bed sheet, I am ready to sleep anywhere like a true Saamiyaar. One of my favorite place is a bench in small railway stations. With nice breeze, and people showing up 24/7 and snack stalls nearby, I know why there are some who simply live in railways stations.

so cute naa? this perfectly showcases what a simble common man you are even with all your achievements in life. this sort of humility is not commonly seen among great people of india, which is what sets you apart.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down