Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2]

+29
doofus_maximus
FluteHolder
Maria S
chameli
Jeremiah Mburuburu
garam_kuta
Nila
pravalika nanda
Miss.Blah
artood2
Mosquito
ashaNirasha
soul.peaceful
truthbetold
pravalika
Propagandhi711
indophile
Kris
MaxEntropy_Man
tapori
harharmahadev
Merlot Daruwala
Impedimenta
FreeStyle
Another Brick
.|Sublime|.
Hellsangel
Rekz
charvaka
33 posters

Page 2 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 20  Next

Go down

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 2 Empty Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2]

Post by Guest Thu May 12, 2011 12:51 pm

I had tofu chilli garlic noodles, Orange chicken w/ lots of veggies, and vegan couscous that looked like sabudana.

Back to top Go down

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 2 Empty Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2]

Post by indophile Thu May 12, 2011 1:01 pm

http://www.subwayfreshbuzz.com/menu/freshfit_choices/orchard_chicken_salad/

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Thu May 12, 2011 1:03 pm

My lunch today was:

Prawns kalimiri (with curry leaves and mustard tadka)
Pomfret filet
Clams sukka with neer dosa
Mutton karavali with neer dosa
Orange kulfi
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 12, 2011 1:04 pm

Merlot Daruwala wrote:My lunch today was:

Pomfret filet
Orange kulfi

Evil or Very Mad

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Thu May 12, 2011 1:13 pm

Merlot Daruwala wrote:My lunch today was:

Pomfret filet
Orange kulfi
How do you work that off?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Thu May 12, 2011 1:17 pm

Got good genes. Plus I eat small portions and I exercise ewwerry day.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 12, 2011 8:27 pm

I tried the Khaman(khaman is not dhokla) recipe from "showmethecurry" site that Max had posted some time back.

http://showmethecurry.com/appetizers/khaman.html

I skipped the coconut, the mountain of green chillies and sugar from the garnish at the end.

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 2 Khaman13

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Thu May 12, 2011 8:59 pm

blabberwock wrote:I tried the Khaman(khaman is not dhokla) recipe from "showmethecurry" site that Max had posted some time back.

http://showmethecurry.com/appetizers/khaman.html

I skipped the coconut, the mountain of green chillies and sugar from the garnish at the end.

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 2 Khaman13

omg, this looks soooo delicious. i could it eat it off the screen. how did it turn out? you can also invite some of us here. just saying.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 12, 2011 9:08 pm

Impedimenta wrote:
omg, this looks soooo delicious. i could it eat it off the screen. how did it turn out? you can also invite some of us here. just saying.

Surprisingly, it turned out quite good. You are always invited.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 14, 2011 4:43 am

that khaman looks like pro. quality. maybe you should contact haldirams (they outsource production of such stuff to housewives).

lunch was mutton curry and rice (kids' request -- summer holidays have begun). mutton curry was made with everest masala. everest is the best (better than freshly ground spices) for mutton curry. it imparts a slightly sweet flavour to the curry and that's great.

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 2 Imag0014

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 14, 2011 6:40 am

btw, congrats blabberwock on your first pic. in this forum (a pic. shot by you). Very Happy as my father used to say, better be late than never.

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Thu May 19, 2011 6:05 am

Lunch started with kebab platter (tangdi, reshmi, hariyali, mutton seekh and mutton boti) and mutton rara with one tandoori roti. Would have loved to wash this down with beer (lawnmower variety wonly) but limited myself to a fresh lime soda.

Fighting my food coma now with some kaapi.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 19, 2011 6:32 am

had a lamb stew (stewed with ladyfingers), chicken and rice and baklava from an "Eastern Mediterranean" restaurant called souk here. i forget the names of the dishes. disappointing.

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Thu May 19, 2011 6:36 am

There's Souk at the Taj here too, which I've been meaning to try out. But you say disappointing, eh?
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 19, 2011 6:47 am

you might like it. there wasn't any cello kebab platter. the chicken and rice had big chunks of chicken (tasted a bit like a risotto with a rich tomato flavour -- i savoured only the rice; the big chunks of chicken were a turn off). the stew was good. the sheek kebab had a kakori consistency but there was the overpowering flavour of a spice or something that i could not identify. i did not like it. i don't know what they had used. since we had ordered out, i didn't get to talk to the chef or the waitstaff. we also tried the prawn starter. on the whole, i didn't taste anything that we can't prepare better.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 19, 2011 7:16 am

yikes! chelo kebab not cello kebab. also, by "we" i mean "indian cuisine."

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 22, 2011 2:50 am

Made some wraps - stuffed them with grilled red/yellow peppers and onions, baby spinach, basil along with some Crème fraiche spiked with chillli flakes and cheese - grilled halloumi in some, feta cheese in some.

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 2 Wrap10

I plan to bake a chocolate cake - will publish the results later (I must remember to click a photo as well)

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun May 22, 2011 4:00 am

Looks delicious. I had mexican last night, washed down with sangria. Ate the leftovers for lunch.. Tasted better last night:)

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:45 am

sorshe elish (hilsa fish marinated in a mustard seeds paste) cooked in a slightly nontraditional way, viz. with onions and a watery curry.

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 2 Imag0110

p.s. this was cooked upon my older's request. he wants to eat it eweRRyday. but elish is rs 1000 a kilo. or, rs 1,500 for a 1.5 kilo fish that yields 8/9 pieces like above (or one meal for a family of 4).

Back to top Go down

Post by Rekz Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:37 am

yummilicious...im hungry now
Rekz
Rekz

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:15 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:sorshe elish (hilsa fish marinated in a mustard seeds paste) cooked in a slightly nontraditional way, viz. with onions and a watery curry.

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 2 Imag0110

p.s. this was cooked upon my older's request. he wants to eat it eweRRyday. but elish is rs 1000 a kilo. or, rs 1,500 for a 1.5 kilo fish that yields 8/9 pieces like above (or one meal for a family of 4).
Nice... that looks almost like a macher jhol preparation with the hilsa. We don't even get fresh hilsa here, so we end up buying frozen hilsa that was caught in Bangladesh last year.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:27 pm

charvaka wrote:Nice... that looks almost like a macher jhol preparation with the hilsa.

yes. in fact, my cook went all kalia on us and cooked the remaining hilsa with tomatoes and onions for dinner. though i am not having it, my son made me taste the curry. it was delicious! you know, my younger doesn't like this fish. my wife does. and i do. but what my younger likes (and it's what he had for lunch & dinner) is: rice + oil the the fish was fried in + salt.

We don't even get fresh hilsa here, so we end up buying frozen hilsa that was caught in Bangladesh last year.

wow. one year old (dead) hilsa sounds like an outlandish idea -- though i'm sure it wouldn't taste any different.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:17 am

lunch today was aludum with pooris (luchis for the family, puris for me Sad ) and cholar dal (split chana dal cooked with panch phoron).

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 2 Imag0111

a closeup of the aludum

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 2 Imag0112

actually there's a small anecdote behind this lunch. i posted the following message to our e-group of school batch mates. i am reproducing it.

i wrote:sanjay,

who is the author?

this pome made me deeply
nostalgic for the alu puris we used to have in the school canteen
sitting in our favourite windowsill in the assembly hall. after that pang of
nostalgia today, i became severely depressed. around noon my
wife enquired what plagued me? turning to her, i said: alu puri. she saw
the forlorn look on my face and asked if i could recreate the sight and
smell of it. we both got to work and by lunch i had the yegsact same
alu puri before me. i devoured it and felt at peace with the world.

so guys, don't feel depressed. it's time to hit the kitchen! here's the simple recipe:

1) get small potatoes from the market (not the super small ones -- see attached image);
2) peel and half boil the potatoes;
3) in a pan add oil, panch phoron (ajwain, mustard seeds,
methi, jeera, saunf), add green chillis and saute till the panch phoron
splutters. add potatoes. add hing, haldi (turmeric) little bit gol mirch
(black pepper), little bit garam masala and saute till you get the
colour in the attached image.

your dish is ready. it is best eaten with STALE luchis. guys, if the taste and smell of this dish does not transport you back to 1980, darga road,
shoot me!

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:37 pm

HK wrote:luchis for the family, puris for me
What is the diphaarence between the two? Are luchis made with maida and puris with whole wheat flour?
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:21 pm

exactly!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:23 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote: cholar dal (split chana dal cooked with panch phoron).

mishtake. did a phone-a-wife. jeera (cumin) and garam masala is used for this dal NOT panch phoron.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:19 pm

[quote="Huzefa Kapasi"]lunch today was aludum with pooris (luchis for the family, puris for me Sad ) and cholar dal (split chana dal cooked with panch phoron).

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 2 Imag0111

a closeup of the aludum

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 2 Imag0112

>>>>> Nice...

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:19 pm

HK,

I don't like potatoes or puris.

Regardless, the food looks delicious.

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:42 pm

We are making idlis for dinner. Kind of incongruous as dinner, and more so with the Tequila with orangeade I am having (and the Frangelicos she is), but still idli with sambar and coconut chutney it is tonight. I logged on to resolve a question regarding the process for steaming idlis. Let's see how it all turns out. (Yeah, it is our first time with idlis.)
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:24 am

blabberwock wrote:HK,

I don't like potatoes or puris.

yea, i remember you mentioning that once (wrt to dosas). frankly, even i don't like potatoes or puris. potatoes i like only in some dishes like the one above (and of that size) and in mashed potatoes. but tell me, i'm curious, how do you eat idlis? i've surmised you don't like to eat them with sambar or podi or coconut chutney. then? with ghee? or idli with idli? idli is quite bland. you don't find it bland?

Charvaka wrote:Let's see how it all turns out. (Yeah, it is our first time with idlis.)

:thumbs up:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:53 pm

plant to have this/link made next week. will post.

this is what it should look like (strained of the gravy):

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 2 Golda10

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:54 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Charvaka wrote:Let's see how it all turns out. (Yeah, it is our first time with idlis.)
:thumbs up:
Happy to report that the idlis turned out nice and fluffy. We are going to make more idlis before the end of the second quarter.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:57 pm

charvaka wrote:Happy to report that the idlis turned out nice and fluffy. We are going to make more idlis before the end of the second quarter.

i hope U2 make more idlis this fiscal. and i hope U post some pics to prove that U are not bullshitting. (tequila much maybe.)

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:00 pm

Idlis have already been consumated. Next time I shall take pictures -- although the wife might find that very odd indeed.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:28 pm

i also plan on having this/link made next week or shortly thereafter. will post savoury pics.

Last edited by Huzefa Kapasi on Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:29 pm

charvaka wrote:Idlis have already been consumated. Next time I shall take pictures -- although the wife might find that very odd indeed.

chillu idlis?

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:31 pm

sanna idlis. Razz button idlis? Shocked

Last edited by Huzefa Kapasi on Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:31 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:i also plan on having this/link made next week or shortly thereafter. will post savoury pics.

HK, you appear to quite a gourmand. do you like non indian food at all? not that godawful thai food but others, like chinese, v/n, korean etc? is there a good place in desh that makes authentic asian food without drenching the shit in desified spices?

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:37 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:sanna idlis. Razz button idlis? Shocked

we have what's called a chillu gaare (vada) with that donut like hole in the middle. I was enquiring if he had consumated with such a idli.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:51 pm

Propagandhi711" wrote:HK, you appear to quite a gourmand. do you like non indian food at all? not that godawful thai food but others, like chinese, v/n, korean etc? is there a good place in desh that makes authentic asian food without drenching the shit in desified spices?

i like non-indian food but it is restricted to american (and thus borrowed european) cuisine, forced on me during my college years. i will wander to the closest 5 star to taste steak with worcestershire sauce every fortnight. but i don't like south asian food and not even chinese (though i've experimented far enough). at the end of the day, i'm most happy with indian food (and brahmin indian food to be precise like toop-metkut-bhaat -- not that such food is necessarily always healthy). i'm also not a hardcore non vegetarian so that influences my tastes a bit. that said, i like koren food best. their beef soup is great as is their bulgogi. i hate japanese food (too french).

you can call me a gourmand -- i don't mind -- but you should know that i bullshit a lot. interestingly, the more i bullshit, the more i learn.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:52 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:

we have what's called a chillu gaare (vada) with that donut like hole in the middle. I was enquiring if he had consumated with such a idli.

wow. i was not familiar with this variety.

edit. consumated with this idli? LOL.

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:55 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:

Today I have decided to speak like a certain northindianized gentleman who is a distant relation of my wife's. Hence I am trying hard to come up with words like igneous and consumated. Hope that halps.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:57 pm

@props:

there are a lot of places in metros that serve you honest to goodness SEA food. you have to hunt. the best place to enquire about them is is in the SEA restaurants of ITC (marriot). become friendly with a waitstaff, engage and tip him (in advance) and pry info.

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:14 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Propagandhi711" wrote:HK, you appear to quite a gourmand. do you like non indian food at all? not that godawful thai food but others, like chinese, v/n, korean etc? is there a good place in desh that makes authentic asian food without drenching the shit in desified spices?

i like non-indian food but it is restricted to american (and thus borrowed european) cuisine, forced on me during my college years. i will wander to the closest 5 star to taste steak with worcestershire sauce every fortnight. but i don't like south asian food and not even chinese (though i've experimented far enough). at the end of the day, i'm most happy with indian food (and brahmin indian food to be precise like toop-metkut-bhaat -- not that such food is necessarily always healthy). i'm also not a hardcore non vegetarian so that influences my tastes a bit. that said, i like koren food best. their beef soup is great as is their bulgogi. i hate japanese food (too french).

you can call me a gourmand -- i don't mind -- but you should know that i bullshit a lot. interestingly, the more i bullshit, the more i learn.

ahh...me myself am a fan of spanish food...the italian and french food is nice but...put it this way: italian and french food are like pretty girls. they're sophisticated, stylish and pretty but spanish food from spain is like a decent looking girl that enjoys sex a lot...the first is what you want to be seen with and married to, but the latter is what you want once the lights are turned off. I used to be a big fan of chicken and beef but pork is where it's at. now I almost exclusively eat pork, duck & seafood when eating out. and nobody makes duck like the chinese. and all asian cultures make amazing pork dishes.

how can you not like japanese food? I was in japan two weeks ago - if sushi werent so expensive, I'd eat it every day.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:15 pm

charvaka wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:

Today I have decided to speak like a certain northindianized gentleman who is a distant relation of my wife's. Hence I am trying hard to come up with words like igneous and consumated. Hope that halps.

you were just getting jiggy with words then..not the idli. good deal

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:20 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:their beef soup is great as is their bulgogi. i hate japanese food
Korean food is great. Among the cuisines of eastern Asia, I like Korean and Malay food the most. I don't like Japanese, but can do Chinese and Thai from time to time.

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:the more i bullshit, the more i learn.
Hahaha. Sounds like something a seasoned consultant once told me.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:20 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:how can you not like japanese food? I was in japan two weeks ago - if sushi werent so expensive, I'd eat it every day.

lol.

i like and don't like pork. i love bacon, ham, salami and sausages. but i can't enjoy a pork vindaloo (the fat). but pork is the most refined taste, i know, 'cos my older who has my mom's sense of taste loves pork.

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:22 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

ahh...me myself am a fan of spanish food...the italian and french food is nice but...put it this way: italian and french food are like pretty girls. they're sophisticated, stylish and pretty but spanish food from spain is like a decent looking girl that enjoys sex a lot...the first is what you want to be seen with and married to, but the latter is what you want once the lights are turned off. I used to be a big fan of chicken and beef but pork is where it's at. now I almost exclusively eat pork, duck & seafood when eating out. and nobody makes duck like the chinese. and all asian cultures make amazing pork dishes.

how can you not like japanese food? I was in japan two weeks ago - if sushi werent so expensive, I'd eat it every day.

speaking of spanish and seafood, they make this dish called octopodi - I dont think it's popular but I've had it six or seven times in this homestyle spanish holeinthewall...it's raw and fresh octopus sliced thin and marinated in lots of lime juice, some chopped onions and herbs. you need the freshest octopus for the right texture and strong lime juice. when made right, it's heavenly. also those people know what to do with sardines.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:24 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:how can you not like japanese food? I was in japan two weeks ago - if sushi werent so expensive, I'd eat it every day.

lol.

i like and don't like pork. i love bacon, ham, salami and sausages. but i can't enjoy a pork vindaloo (the fat). but pork is the most refined taste, i know, 'cos my older who has my mom's sense of taste loves pork.

I dont care for the muscle part of pork a whole lot..the flavor is right under the skin for those sonsabitches. cant eat pork made desi style - the meat is too soft for my taste. for indian meat dishes, I prefer goat and chicken. they go well with our cooking.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:35 pm

yes. pork is best cooked continental style. the only way we know how to cook it is by dunking it in garam masala. with meat, as a thumb rule, i feel we should avoid or use minimum spices to avoid killig the intrinsic flavour of the meat. this method is ok for chicken and fish or even mutton but beyond that the method overwhelms the meat. we do have a spice overkill problem here. i am not familiar with the north eatern styles of cookng pork btw.

also, my older loves sushi and sashami. he is ready to die for it eweRRyday.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 20  Next