Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2]

+29
doofus_maximus
FluteHolder
Maria S
chameli
Jeremiah Mburuburu
garam_kuta
Nila
pravalika nanda
Miss.Blah
artood2
Mosquito
ashaNirasha
soul.peaceful
truthbetold
pravalika
Propagandhi711
indophile
Kris
MaxEntropy_Man
tapori
harharmahadev
Merlot Daruwala
Impedimenta
FreeStyle
Another Brick
.|Sublime|.
Hellsangel
Rekz
charvaka
33 posters

Page 3 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 20  Next

Go down

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 3 Empty Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2]

Post by Merlot Daruwala Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:56 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:yes. pork is best cooked continental style.

I think the Chinese know how to cook pork best. They can make something utterly delicious out of every part of that animal. Chinese-style roast pig is the ultimate delicacy.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 3 Empty Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2]

Post by Kris Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:06 pm

Last night - PF Changs.. Spicy chicken, mongolian beef (loved it), lamb ( not much of a lamb fan, went along with wife's order), singapore street noodles, cheesecake for dessert, long island ice tea

Off to dad's day lunch now..

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:08 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:yes. pork is best cooked continental style. the only way we know how to cook it is by dunking it in garam masala. with meat, as a thumb rule, i feel we should avoid or use minimum spices to avoid killig the intrinsic flavour of the meat. this method is ok for chicken and fish or even mutton but beyond that the method overwhelms the meat. we do have a spice overkill problem here. i am not familiar with the north eatern styles of cookng pork btw.

also, my older loves sushi and sashami. he is ready to die for it eweRRyday.

when I eat indian, specifically andhra style chicken/goat curry, the taste of the meat is almost an after thought. I just looovee the gravy with hot rice followed by a spicy pepper rasam. triggers memories of sitting crosslegged under those huge rosewood beams in my grandparents' house eating spicy curry made out of chicken that was freshly slaughtered, defeathered and skin burnt over open fire and then cooked in fiery spices. and that rice! not the overly polished white shit but honest to goodness rice that came for their own fields. sweating in the summer heat but enjoying every heavenly morsel and feeling all drowsy under those old fashioned ceiling fans.....you dont get that anymore

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:18 pm

[quote="Kris"]Last night - PF Changs.. Spicy chicken, mongolian beef (loved it)[quote]

Oh man. I was planning Thai tonight but that mention of mongolian beef is now making me think Chinese. Choices..choices...
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:24 pm

I gotta admit.. this Mongolian beef was a surprise to me, despite the characteristic twice-born penchant for beef . My son even kept reaching over and taking the beef. It almost came down to a fight a la kashmir proportions.
Looks like it may be italianesque american for lunch (no, not olive garden) shortly. The family has good taste, heck, who wouldn't when its dad's $, as Propa says ?

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:00 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:yes. pork is best cooked continental style. the only way we know how to cook it is by dunking it in garam masala. with meat, as a thumb rule, i feel we should avoid or use minimum spices to avoid killig the intrinsic flavour of the meat. this method is ok for chicken and fish or even mutton but beyond that the method overwhelms the meat. we do have a spice overkill problem here. i am not familiar with the north eatern styles of cookng pork btw.

also, my older loves sushi and sashami. he is ready to die for it eweRRyday.

when I eat indian, specifically andhra style chicken/goat curry, the taste of the meat is almost an after thought. I just looovee the gravy with hot rice followed by a spicy pepper rasam. triggers memories of sitting crosslegged under those huge rosewood beams in my grandparents' house eating spicy curry made out of chicken that was freshly slaughtered, defeathered and skin burnt over open fire and then cooked in fiery spices. and that rice! not the overly polished white shit but honest to goodness rice that came for their own fields. sweating in the summer heat but enjoying every heavenly morsel and feeling all drowsy under those old fashioned ceiling fans.....you dont get that anymore

** hello propaneni baava, elagunnaru ee roju? what, sunday ani vyasayam holiday theesukunnava?

pravalika

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:25 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
blabberwock wrote:HK,

I don't like potatoes or puris.

but tell me, i'm curious, how do you eat idlis? i've surmised you don't like to eat them with sambar or podi or coconut chutney. then? with ghee? or idli with idli? idli is quite bland. you don't find it bland?

I do like idlis with chutney or podi but not so much with sambar. I am not a big fan of sambar unless it is one of those perfectly made arachuvitta (freshly ground spices) sambars.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:44 pm

Me too. Not much of an idli person, but when I do eat it, it has to be with coconut chutney and only that. Higher priority for plain dosa (do like this with chutney *and* sambar). That's it-- have upma-phobia. Must have had a bad batch as a kid which I can't remember.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:37 am

pravalika wrote:** hello propaneni baava, elagunnaru ee roju? what, sunday ani vyasayam holiday theesukunnava?
Welcome to the new CH. Without that comment, I might have wondered out loud if it was an impostor. But with this comment, we know it's you.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:39 am

blabberwock wrote:I am not a big fan of sambar unless it is one of those perfectly made arachuvitta (freshly ground spices) sambars.
We made sambar yesterday with freshly ground spices (no instant sambar mix) -- turned out very nice. My wife has this thing about not buying any masala mixes. Works out well in terms of results, but takes more work.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:00 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:yes. pork is best cooked continental style.

I think the Chinese know how to cook pork best. They can make something utterly delicious out of every part of that animal. Chinese-style roast pig is the ultimate delicacy.

right! i forgot chinese.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:03 am

Propagandhi711 wrote:when I eat indian, specifically andhra style chicken/goat curry, the taste of the meat is almost an after thought.

agreed 100%. when i eat indian non veg gravies, it's mostly the gravy and the meat is forgotten (except for fish). andhra non veg rocks! i had some great preparations in bengaluru not too long ago.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:31 am

ewwwwwww @ gen y taste. my younger's dinner was left over naan slathered with butter and ketchup and bhujia sprinkled on top.

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 3 Imag0114

this is the guy who thinks that the best thing about hyderabad is it's airport. it has three mcdonalds and three kfcs. he suspects there were more for he did not get to survey the entire airport. oh, it had a subway too. something's gone terribly wrong in our parenting. i will have to consult the great theoretician CroMagnon soon for tips.

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:07 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:ewwwwwww @ gen y taste. my younger's dinner was left over naan slathered with butter and ketchup and bhujia sprinkled on top.
I spy a potential disciple for the saamiyaar here.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:53 pm

charvaka wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:ewwwwwww @ gen y taste. my younger's dinner was left over naan slathered with butter and ketchup and bhujia sprinkled on top.

HK, you need to watch him closely and report his proclivities. if he has an opinion on ewwerrything under the sun and fetishizes cheapness, we have a replacement for uppili in our golden years. if anything I would make him uppili's understudy right now.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:01 pm

this is the guy who thinks that the best thing about hyderabad is it's airport. it has three mcdonalds and three kfcs. he suspects there were more for he did not get to survey the entire airport. oh, it had a subway too. something's gone terribly wrong in our parenting. i will have to consult the great theoretician CroMagnon soon for tips..

aaah the number of times I wanted to tap on the back of my 9-year-old nephew.. no matter where we went, he would spot a vending machine and cry for papa sprite, papa diet coke... arra yaar, disney mein aaya hai, mickey ko khoj, rides ko dekh, sprite ke peechhe laga hai... and rides too, omg... if he was not made to topple over himself in any ride, he would write it off as boring. Whatever happened to Disney and it's magic over kids? They don't enjoy a simpel Peter Pan or It's a small world ride any more? My bro waz zapped, but nephew - 'arre yaar bua kya bore bore rides mein ghuma rahi ho. Roller coaster mein le jao na.' Hershey parkm, six flag jaae mann nahi bhare.. .. aur roller coaster...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:39 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:
charvaka wrote:

HK, you need to watch him closely and report his proclivities. if he has an opinion on ewwerrything under the sun and fetishizes cheapness, we have a replacement for uppili in our golden years. if anything I would make him uppili's understudy right now.

yes, i will coax him to become uppili's understudy. lmao, we already have a delta, kappa understudy here. one more.

Tracy Whitney wrote:
aaah the number of times I wanted to tap on the back of my
9-year-old nephew.. no matter where we went, he would spot a vending
machine and cry for papa sprite, papa diet coke... arra yaar, disney
mein aaya hai, mickey ko khoj, rides ko dekh, sprite ke peechhe laga
hai... and rides too, omg... if he was not made to topple over himself
in any ride, he would write it off as boring. Whatever happened to
Disney and it's magic over kids? They don't enjoy a simpel Peter Pan or
It's a small world ride any more? My bro waz zapped, but nephew - 'arre
yaar bua kya bore bore rides mein ghuma rahi ho. Roller coaster mein le
jao na.' Hershey parkm, six flag jaae mann nahi bhare.. .. aur roller
coaster...

arre arre. i remember when my bhabhi had visited usa when i was in college (not sure though if this is relevant). we had gone to six flags (or 7/5 flags then...do they keep adding/subtracting flags?). i put my camera on the roof of the car to be free to lock it. i forgot to pick it up. when we returned, it was gone. and so were many pictures. but i totally know what it's like being a host to desi tourists in america.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:08 am

Tracy Whitney wrote:aaah the number of times I wanted to tap on the back of my 9-year-old nephew.. no matter where we went, he would spot a vending machine and cry for papa sprite, papa diet coke... arra yaar, disney mein aaya hai, mickey ko khoj, rides ko dekh, sprite ke peechhe laga hai... and rides too, omg... if he was not made to topple over himself in any ride, he would write it off as boring. Whatever happened to Disney and it's magic over kids? They don't enjoy a simpel Peter Pan or It's a small world ride any more? My bro waz zapped, but nephew - 'arre yaar bua kya bore bore rides mein ghuma rahi ho. Roller coaster mein le jao na.' Hershey parkm, six flag jaae mann nahi bhare.. .. aur roller coaster...

i read this again. as a kid, i had thoroughly enjoyed disney -- haunted house specially. and again as an adult. i suppose there are too many other channels for entertainment today (including sprite) that makes the disney rides lose their charm. disappointing.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:16 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

i read this again. as a kid, i had thoroughly enjoyed disney -- haunted house specially. and again as an adult. i suppose there are too many other channels for entertainment today (including sprite) that makes the disney rides lose their charm. disappointing.

I had also enjoyed haunted house the first time, and the second time... this time, to be honest, I did feel they should upgrade themselves a bit. The kids have seen much more in other venues.

While Magic Kingdom has done good in keeping the old charm, I did feel they can better some of the areas. Like tomorrow land totally feels like yesterday land (except space mountain which is still good). Epcot does upgrade itself, but telling you, nothing like Universal studios to see the latest in tehnology. Man, we were so zapped there.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:40 am

i agree with you. disney has not upgraded itself. i visited disneyworld again some time ago in tokyo and was surprised to see that it was exactly like the one i had seen in orlando and ca and that they had not upgraded the rides (i did not enjoy it as much). universal studios was more interesting from the technology point of view. i really liked epcot centre -- the fact that you could sample food from all great cities but there was only so much you could eat in a single day. it is no surprise that many of these theme parks have started filing for bankruptcy. otoh, even kennedy space centre, like universal studios, was interesting. but i had a great time in orlando once. my bhabhi, her kids, my sis. and i checked out all the smaller trick houses in the city including a house of mirrors that was a riot. we even went to meeaameee.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:39 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:i agree with you. disney has not upgraded itself. i visited disneyworld again some time ago in tokyo and was surprised to see that it was exactly like the one i had seen in orlando and ca and that they had not upgraded the rides (i did not enjoy it as much). universal studios was more interesting from the technology point of view. i really liked epcot centre -- the fact that you could sample food from all great cities but there was only so much you could eat in a single day. it is no surprise that many of these theme parks have started filing for bankruptcy. otoh, even kennedy space centre, like universal studios, was interesting. but i had a great time in orlando once. my bhabhi, her kids, my sis. and i checked out all the smaller trick houses in the city including a house of mirrors that was a riot. we even went to meeaameee.

>>>> Kennedy Space Center was the high point for me in Florida. Universal was next and Epcot, in that order. Disney does have to step up to the plate. Its almost as thought they are banking on their brand identity. On a personal level, I have also had amusement park fatigue for a long time. I lived within 15 minutes of Disneyland in So cal for years and anytime anyone came into town be it the east coast or india, someone somewhere would give them my contact details and I became a de facto tour guide. When the kids came, the obligatory visits to disneyland were almost a chore for me. Thankfully, they can go on their own now, but they are also getting interested in other things like music concerts now.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:06 am

Kris wrote:I lived within 15 minutes of Disneyland in So cal for years and anytime anyone came into town be it the east coast or india, someone somewhere would give them my contact details and I became a de facto tour guide.

LOL! *bummer*

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:54 am

Dinner was from God's own country:

Surmai fry
Prawns fry
Beef pepper fry
Mutton masala
Appams
Adaprathamam
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:29 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:Dinner was from God's own country:

Surmai fry
Prawns fry
Beef pepper fry
Mutton masala
Appams
Adaprathamam

never eaten any of this. question. why would anything keralite be called surmai? and what it is?

Also, I can am sure you think of us whenever you see a spread like that, don't you?

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:23 am

Tracy Whitney wrote:why would anything keralite be called surmai? and what it is?

It ideally would not. But had the menu said Neimeen fry (which is the name in Malayalam), the restaurant's Mumbaikar clientele would'nt know what to make of it.

Surmai is the highly popular king mackerel (aka seer fish). This is cut steak-style, coated in fiery masalas and pan-fried (see below).

PS: Much as I like CHers, I must admit they are the last thing on my mind when it comes to food. AFAIK, my eyes glaze over and the mind goes blank. I hate it if I have to talk business over a great meal.

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 3 Surmai_Fry.236110924_std
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:27 am

Does sea food make a big part of Kerala food?

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:35 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:you might like it. there wasn't any cello kebab platter. the chicken and rice had big chunks of chicken (tasted a bit like a risotto with a rich tomato flavour -- i savoured only the rice; the big chunks of chicken were a turn off). the stew was good. the sheek kebab had a kakori consistency but there was the overpowering flavour of a spice or something that i could not identify. i did not like it. i don't know what they had used. since we had ordered out, i didn't get to talk to the chef or the waitstaff. we also tried the prawn starter. on the whole, i didn't taste anything that we can't prepare better.

I am having drinks and dinner with master chef my-mamaji and wife. We discussed this issue. My-mamaji said, premptorily, that it was the taste of jaifal or nutmeg that was so overpowering in the taste. My wife laughed 'cos she had said the same thing then but I had not listened. We have decided to dine there collectively upon return.

Back to top Go down

Post by FreeStyle Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:45 am

sabji of radish leaves and potato with 5 slices of 12 grain bread
FreeStyle
FreeStyle

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:48 am

Radish leaves?? Good god, isn't that what they feed rabbits?
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by FreeStyle Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:47 am

maybe, not sure about that(i agree, not everyone likes the idea of radish leaves for sabji), however the leaves are edible too.
Leaves are eaten as salad or used in cooking.
Just for info sake : Radish leaves actually have more calcium, phosphorus, Vitamin C and protein than the radish itself.
google search yields a lot of radish leaves recipes
FreeStyle
FreeStyle

Back to top Go down

Post by Rekz Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:46 am

I love aloo mooli ke patte ki sabzi
Rekz
Rekz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:41 am

I bet you like mooli ke parathes too.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:41 am

sorshe bata bhapa ilish for lunch. ilish marinated in mustard paste and steamed in the microwave. gravy was prepared separately (to be had with rice) with the same mustard paste and a few pieces of fish cooked in it.

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 3 Imag0110

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:00 am

damn i want to eat fish curry today.

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:54 am

i made myself a smoothie: plain chobani yogurt, almonds (soaked in warm water for five minutes), 3 strawberries, 2 raspberries, a handful of blueberries, some vico coconut water. i blended it and now i've finished half of it.

also left-over chinese fried rice and to freshen it up i added some fresh bean sprouts that i had caused to germinate myself.

also like six entenmann chocolate chip cookies. i will probably finish the box today, they taste awesome with the fresh strawberries. it makes for awesome dessert. you will thank me for this tip later.

pravalika

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:01 am

chhokoed some leftover and [purposefully] dried bread in onion, tomato, etc for breakfast. This is one of my comfort foods.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:19 am

what is chhokoed? as in chokha?

edit. oh chhonkoed. ok ok.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:23 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:what is chhokoed? as in chokha?

edit. oh chhonkoed. ok ok.

yeah, I always mix up the na sounds when writing hindi, almost all the times...add them where not needed and not when needed.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:54 am

pravalika wrote:i made myself a smoothie: plain chobani yogurt, almonds (soaked in warm water for five minutes), 3 strawberries, 2 raspberries, a handful of blueberries, some vico coconut water. i blended it and now i've finished half of it.

also left-over chinese fried rice and to freshen it up i added some fresh bean sprouts that i had caused to germinate myself.

also like six entenmann chocolate chip cookies. i will probably finish the box today, they taste awesome with the fresh strawberries. it makes for awesome dessert. you will thank me for this tip later.

nanda, when will you stop torturing yourself for a more gleaming skin? ever tried toop-metkut-bhaat? it is vegetarian and brahmin!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:55 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
nanda, when will you stop torturing yourself for a more gleaming skin? ever tried toop-metkut-bhaat? it is vegetarian and brahmin!

lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:03 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
pravalika wrote:i made myself a smoothie: plain chobani yogurt, almonds (soaked in warm water for five minutes), 3 strawberries, 2 raspberries, a handful of blueberries, some vico coconut water. i blended it and now i've finished half of it.

well, i chinese food and i ate cookies, it's the equivalent of heresy, i could never tell my sis i did that. it was only last night that she reminded me not to eat any chocolate. i went to this party the other night, it was a graduation party and i was told a couple of times that i was the best dressed (by the same person though) and i think i had too much italian food, and only one martini but after that i had to attend a series of going-away parties and there i couldn't keep track of what i was being fed and anyhow i got four zits after that although i hadn't gotten zits for years now. oh man, i gotta watch what i eat. i'm in my thirties, i can't take these things lightly. hufe, it's not a toture. your body is a temple, you gotta take care of it and be as beautiful as you can. otherwise you'll end up looking like propa.

pravalika

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:13 pm

[quote="pravalika] i was told a couple of times that i was the best dressed (by the same person though) [/quote]
lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:29 pm

lol.

another lol @ end up looking like propa bawa.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:21 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:i also plan on having this/link made next week or shortly thereafter. will post savoury pics.

got made mutton rezala today using my mamaji's recipe (one that he learned from a bengali muslim lady):

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 3 Imag0210

had it with naan.

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 3 Imag0211

this is a ginger-garlic paste and curd marination dish. no masala. we used some cashews and badams too to thicken the gravy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:18 am

sorshe bata ilish again today cooked in an innovative* way. this is the BEST sorshe bata ilish i have ever had (are you listening agent?).

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 3 Imag0212

*this was an arnab's mom's recipe that involves the use of milk in the mustard paste. arnab is a bengali poster from another forum, anothersubcontinent.com. here's his recipe:

made shorshe-bata ilish for lunch today (along with lau and mushoor
dal). came out quite well--i usually use all dark mustard seeds (brown?
black?) but inspired by posts in this thread i went half and half with
the dark ones and the light ones (yellow?). as i noted above, following
my mother's practice when she visits me in the land of no shil-nora, i
ground the seeds in a coffee-grinder and then mixed them in about
1/2-3/4 cup of water--added salt, haldi and red chilli powders to this
and mixed it all up. heated mustard oil, added a pinch of panch-phoron;
fish had got a slight coating of salt and haldi earlier and went in
next. shook the pan around a little and added the spice paste. then
added 1 1/2 cups of a mixture of milk and water. mixed gently and boiled
for 7 minutes or so. added sliced green chillies, lowered heat to a
simmer and simmered for another 7-10 minutes.

i don't know if this addition of the milk is my mother's wrinkle or a common variation--anyone?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:41 am

masala dosa & idlis

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 3 Imag0213

dosa in the ci girdle:

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 3 Imag0214

the idlis did not come out soft. everything was made in a hurry. the batter was not diluted and whipped enough. did not also get a chance to try impy's mom's kutti vengaya sambar. will try it in a few days (to be had with rice and ghee). impy if you want to try it too, book a ticket by coromandel express, arriving in kolkata on saturday, the 16th. i don't think you will need a return ticket to anywhere.

Back to top Go down

Post by soul.peaceful Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:01 am

To get soft idli's add very little fenugreek while soaking rice and udaam daal for batter

soul.peaceful

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:25 am

thank you soul.peaceful. we have been using ready-made store batter of late. it seems to be ok for dosas but not so much idlis. i think next time we will make our own idli batter and be mindful of the methi (fenugreek) and urad.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:50 am

lunch was impy's kutti vengaya sambar with rice, a generic south indian curry (cabbage, beans, carrots in a mustard seed, curry leaves tadka and coconut shavings -- purists please pardon) and masala-free banana chips (txs. to agent for the idea --- kya idea sirjee!).

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 3 Imag0215

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 3 Imag0216

sambar was very good with rice. the one we make at home has tomatoes. this one was without tomatoes. very tangy. the shallots gave it a unique taste. this meal will be frequently repeated. impy's recipe is as belows (hope you don't mind impy):

Impedimenta wrote:
Kutti vengaya sambar

Cook 1 cup of toor dal with turmeric powder in the pressure cooker
Bag of small onions – I use shallots

Use sesame oil for the whole preparation

In two tablespoons of oil, roast the following:

a) dry red chilies – 8
b) Dania seeds/coriander seeds – 4 tables spoons
c) Kadala paruppu/ channa dal – 2 tables spoons
d) A few shallots
e) Vendhayam/methi seeds – ½ table spoon

Grind them and make a paste – let’s call this sambar masala

After roasting the above for a few minutes in low flame, add the shredded coconut and roast until the coconut turns color.

f) Coconut shredded – little

In a pan, heat more sesame oil and tadka with:
a) mustard seeds
b) ½ tbs of vendhayam/methi seeds
c) Curry leaves
d) Asafoetida powder

After the tadka, add the rest of the shallots and sauté until the onions lose their “raw” smell and are cooked. Add some fresh chopped coriander leaves as well. Add tamarind water to this along with a table spoon of MTR sambar powder. Let it boil until the “raw” smells of the spices disappear.

Make a slightly diluted paste out of the sambar masala and one cup of cooked toor dal. Add it to the above preparation. Add salt to taste. Add water depending on how “dilute” you want the sambar to be. Let it all boil for 10 minutes. Add more freshly chopped coriander leaves after you turn of the stove.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:10 am

Looks good. Cool you use banana leaves to eat SI food at home?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 20  Next