Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Any news about Maria?

+11
Propagandhi711
Maria S
Kris
garam_kuta
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
MaxEntropy_Man
Nila
Petrichor
Jeremiah Mburuburu
southindian
Seva Lamberdar
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Any news about Maria? - Page 2 Empty Re: Any news about Maria?

Post by goodcitizn Sat May 11, 2013 7:58 am

Maria S wrote:Oh, thank you GC! Your timing with a few words of encouragement is perfect:)

I'll take all the genuine wishes, blessings from anyone, anywhere!

Speaking of blessings, I thought about your Mom when I read your post..have not met you all..but, from what I have seen and read..can see that she is a special lady and you are a good son too:) It may be also because..I was thinking about my mother a lot today (spoke to her this morning)..and mothers from that generation! Smile

Thanks for the kind words, Maria. My mom is doing much better. Plan to visit India in a few months. Happy Mothers Day!

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Sat May 11, 2013 8:53 am

Thanks GC!

Good to know that your Mom is doing better.

Buzzfeed perspectives are always quite amusing:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/spenceralthouse/20-reasons-to-thank-your-mom-this-mothers-day-a078

have a good weekend everyone!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sat May 11, 2013 8:55 am

southindian wrote:
Captain Bhankas wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:great strike forest officer! the war on error must be subjguilated!

our very talented and gifted field agent has taken guerrilla warfare to the next level and we, at the headquarters, refer to his remarkable tactics as kuruvilla warfare. he is always there, crouching nearby, sharpening his weapons, eager to pounce on the unsuspecting, gullible errorists. CBS is doing a special on him this fall - philip's noble war on error.

This is good. lol!

Grandapa JM just changed his diapers, so he's good to post nonstop for another 3 hours. Let the war against error begin.

Right now achachan is just relieved that he doesn't have to buy any mothers' day gifts.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Sat May 11, 2013 1:14 pm

Kuru villa warfare and noble war of error...hahaha

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Mon May 20, 2013 6:57 pm

Watching the news about the tornadoes in Oklahoma.
Having been close to areas where they have struck/strike..the terrifying moments- feeling the mighty - ripping power of nature.. and fear are hard to describe..and can never forget it.

What can one say..just hope people survived.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Sat May 25, 2013 8:21 am

RIP- Thiru.TMS.

The range and voice modulation for every movie icon (who could not be more different)..was near perfect..no one in Tamil Cinema comes close! He elevated all of them- with his golden voice.

Ungal ganeerendra kural eppozhuthum olithu kondey irukkum!

Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:32 am

As Serena and Maria battle it out with Serena winning the first set..and up 2-1 in the second..came across this popular (!) Indian Marriage proposals video in Fb..

Ah..quite funny indeed:D.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10200400440588018
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:26 am

Maria S wrote:As Serena and Maria battle it out with Serena winning the first set..and up 2-1 in the second..came across this popular (!) Indian Marriage proposals video in Fb..

Ah..quite funny indeed:D.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10200400440588018

I feel so so outdated looking at the men. BTW, I need to send my own FB (color poto wonly) to those 2 girls - seems like I fit their criteria perfectly (Good that they did not mention anything about age requirement)

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:38 am

In case you missed it, this may be useful info for those in the US who send money to India for family related and other interests-business interests. If you are vacationing, a little extra something..to shop and spend (and tip well:)

http://www.nripulse.com/rupee-slips-below-58-against-dollar/

*Thank you for starting this thread dear Seva..makes it easy to post something of interest to me quickly, not starting new ones..and intruding in others threads, unless I really, really want to:)

It certainly makes it easier..for those who want to avoid reading my posts too!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:02 am

Maria S wrote:In case you missed it, this may be useful info for those in the US who send money to India for family related and other interests-business interests. If you are vacationing, a little extra something..to shop and spend (and tip well:)

http://www.nripulse.com/rupee-slips-below-58-against-dollar/

*Thank you for starting this thread dear Seva..makes it easy to post something of interest to me quickly, not starting new ones..and intruding in others threads, unless I really, really want to:)

It certainly makes it easier..for those who want to avoid reading my posts too!

Thanks, Maria. I'll transfer some good money to my mom's account pronto!

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:07 am

Nice to see you posting regularly on this thread dear Maria. It seems you had a splendid weekend watching the French Open finals and the NBA championship games (with series tied 1-1 now).
Seva
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:30 pm

Oh, you are welcome GC, and glad it was helpful.

Dear Seva,
Yes, will post in this thread when I can!

It was a splendid weekend, and was much more than watching sports:) Don't have any fav Tennis players these days, so no pressure, and even in the NBA this time..like both the Heat and the Spurs..just for the heck of it, am cheering for the Spurs..but,if LeBron and the Heat win..no pouting from me! And since it's tied..and the next three games will be in SA makes it more interesting.

*You can read people well and be so funny and mischevious in your own "very low key" way..am quite amused when folks completely miss it, try so hard to..well, never mind!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:47 am

*My - "just for the heck of it" cheering..seemed to work in the last game..as the Spurs just dominated the Heat. But, today as I still will keep cheering..not sure, it will work ..can see LeBron getting hot and ready to crush the Spurs..we'll see..and who knows what kind of game fixing goes on to make it interesting and push the price of tickets up, and who cares..it's all a "big show"..sports, business- the sports business:)

In other news..thought some of you may be interested in this movie:

'Ramanujan' - apparently an Indian-British collaboration.

http://www.newkerala.com/news/story/28374/ramanujan-to-release-in-english-tamil.html

*Anna GC (has nice ring to it, hope not to overdo it!),

If you read this..am sure you know that your friend (Gemini's grandson) Abhinay is making his debut.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:09 am

Maria S wrote:*My - "just for the heck of it" cheering..seemed to work in the last game..as the Spurs just dominated the Heat. But, today as I still will keep cheering..not sure, it will work ..can see LeBron getting hot and ready to crush the Spurs..we'll see..and who knows what kind of game fixing goes on to make it interesting and push the price of tickets up, and who cares..it's all a "big show"..sports, business- the sports business:)

http://www.newkerala.com/news/story/28374/ramanujan-to-release-in-english-tamil.html

If you read this..am sure you know that your friend (Gemini's grandson) Abhinay is making his debut.

i sincerely hope there are no item songs, running around trees, getting wet in the rain and bump and grind.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:12 am

Maria S wrote:________

Yes, Maria. The sad part is that Abhinay is also the grandson of Savitri that nobody seems to take notice of. I am looking forward to seeing this movie on Ramanujan, the mathematician, who was incredible and died very young. This director has made other bio movies on Bharathiyar and Periyar I think.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:26 am

Ah..I just read about this movie today GC!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:25 pm

goodcitizn wrote:
Maria S wrote:________

Yes, Maria. The sad part is that Abhinay is also the grandson of Savitri that nobody seems to take notice of.

Does that also make him a relative of Rekha, a nephew perhaps?
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:34 pm

Seva Lamberdar wrote:

Does that also make him a relative of Rekha, a nephew perhaps?

Sure..It makes him a relative..a half-nephew? (son of a half-sister, same Dad and different Moms!)  of Rekha:)
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:54 am

Thanks Maria for the Info.

About last night's NBA game, it looks like Miami is off the hook ... able to tie the series 2-2.  SA missed the golden opportunity to make it 3-1 and take a series lead.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:40 am

Seva Lamberdar wrote:Thanks Maria for the Info.

About last night's NBA game, it looks like Miami is off the hook ... able to tie the series 2-2.  SA missed the golden opportunity to make it 3-1 and take a series lead.

Good morning dear Seva!

Looks like you are a very early bird today:)

I was expecting this from the Heat..and the Spurs did let go too. I like the talented Dwayne Wade..just observing him..he seems like one of those big brothers who can't hide the envy for his little brother (LeBron) who he really likes and admires..but, feels too overshadowed, just can't pretend enough, like a Pippen- for example on court. He withdraws from playing.. nice to see him "shake the feelings and apathy off"..and playing to his potential.

Mind games are such a big part of everything!

Anyways..it's def. is going to be more thrilling to watch the 7th game!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:05 am

Via Facebook- for those who are interested, as many seem to be:

The Audio Book for Ponniyin Selvan written by Kalki, with apparently some great voices- is being released today at Naradagana Sabha in the presence of his family members, and well-known writers and artists.

The duration of the audio book seems quite long, but may be worth it.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:34 am

Maria S wrote:Via Facebook- for those who are interested, as many seem to be:

The Audio Book for Ponniyin Selvan written by Kalki, with apparently some great voices- is being released today at Naradagana Sabha in the presence of his family members, and well-known writers and artists.

The duration of the audio book seems quite long, but may be worth it.

Good morning dear Maria.  It surely is going to be a thrilling end to the NBA finals, in the 6th or 7th game.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:38 pm

Seva Lamberdar wrote:
Good morning dear Maria.  It surely is going to be a thrilling end to the NBA finals, in the 6th or 7th game.

In my excitement..I jumped ahead to game 7! 

Seva, nice to see your gentle reminder- to first get past game 6:)
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:20 pm

Maria S wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:
Good morning dear Maria. It surely is going to be a thrilling end to the NBA finals, in the 6th or 7th game.

In my excitement..I jumped ahead to game 7!

Seva, nice to see your gentle reminder- to first get past game 6:)

Not to worry Maria ... may be you have a premonition about the possibility of the 7th game.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:52 am

"யார் மனதையும் உங்கள் சொற்களால் புண்படுத்திவிடாதீர்கள்..ஒரு வேளை அதுவே உங்கள் கடைசி சந்திப்பாகவும் இருக்கலாம்” - 100% உண்மை.

("Don't hurt anyone's heart with your words..it may be the last time you see them"- 100% true).

Medical COD aside, apparently, Bharathiraja's words wounded him badly, was quite distraught taking them to heart as many say he did-understandably when friends and people you respect..cause pain, hurts more.

RIP - Manivannan.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:55 am

Off to game 6 with the SA lead 3-2..

I was cheering for SA..did become a bit subdued, since I do like the Heat too, almost felt sorry for them..I know they are just some BB games, and they will all be fine:)

On a different note..rivers are always kind of fascinating to me..came across this map of American rivers:

http://www.jonathancrowe.net/2013/06/american-rivers.php
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:39 am

Maria,
Miami Heat repeated as the NBA champions. SA Spurs came quite close but not successful in the end.
Seva
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:18 pm

I don't agree with everything in this article..but, was a nice and quick read:

The Happiness of Pursuit

http://nation.time.com/2013/06/27/the-happiness-of-pursuit/4/
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:47 am

Something interesting about Yale-Madras connections (*Mass Contributions from Tamil Nadu really!)..I just read about recently, thanks to a Sulekha friend who wondered..*Need Blind*. That magical phrase that makes college possible for anyone in the US and heard a presentation about how 120 million dollars is earmarked for student aid at Yale. So out of curiosity, she decided to "follow the money." Where did this money come from? How was this institution founded?  ..and not sure why this was not talked about more..

In case anyone is interested..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elihu_Yale

"For 20 years, Yale was part of the British East India Company, and he became the second governor of a settlement at Madras (now Chennai), India, in 1687, after Streynsham Master. He was instrumental in the development of the Government General Hospital, housed at Fort St. George.[3] Yale amassed a fortune in his lifetime, largely through secret contracts with Madras merchants, against the East India Company's directive. By 1692, Elihu Yale's repeated flouting of East India Company regulations and growing embarrassment at his illegal profiteering resulted in his being relieved of the post of governor.[4]Yale returned to London in 1699, and resided at Plas Grono, near Wrexham, a mansion bought by his father. Having amassed considerable wealth, Yale spent it liberally in England."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yale_university

"Yale University is a private Ivy League research university located in New Haven, Connecticut. Founded in 1701 in the Colony of Connecticut, the university is the third-oldest institution of higher education in the United States. Originally chartered as the "Collegiate School", the institution traces its roots to 17th-century clergymen who sought to establish a college to train clergy and political leaders for the colony. In 1718, the College was renamed "Yale College" to honor a gift from Elihu Yale, a governor of the British East India Company"
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:47 pm

Interesting connection Maria between the original Collegiate School for the clergy and the present world famous private Ivy-League Yale University, through the questionable money earned and donated by Mr. Yale.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2