Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I say this is correct and fair

5 posters

Go down

I say this is correct and fair Empty I say this is correct and fair

Post by Kayalvizhi Sat May 11, 2013 7:57 pm

Jeyasurya scored 1189 in school exam and was announced top ranker by TN gov. Kavya who scored 1192 was not considered for the award because she studied French as the language instead of Tamil. This custom goesa back to many years. Some people say it is unfair.

My answer to them, go to France and ask for an award. this is TN. Only people who study Tamil are qualified to awards grom TN gov

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

I say this is correct and fair Empty Re: I say this is correct and fair

Post by seven Sat May 11, 2013 8:03 pm

so basically you're saying you don't care if someone scored highest if they studied french and not tamil... and that they should go to france to ask for an award.

well my answer to you, go to tamiltribune.com and write about this, or some place similar...you know where people care about your news/story/watever

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sat May 11, 2013 9:40 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:Jeyasurya scored 1189 in school exam and was announced top ranker by TN gov. Kavya who scored 1192 was not considered for the award because she studied French as the language instead of Tamil. This custom goesa back to many years. Some people say it is unfair.

My answer to them, go to France and ask for an award. this is TN. Only people who study Tamil are qualified to awards grom TN gov

why offer french, in that case?

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Sat May 11, 2013 9:47 pm

nothing wrong as long as she studies tamil

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Sat May 11, 2013 9:51 pm

What TN government did is correct.

The course in Tamil language is far difficult and is at the correct grade level compared to French.

The level of French studied by students in the 12th grade in TN is equivalent to what a third grader studies in France. And the grading is also lenient.

A similar situation even in the undergraduate courses in TN where foreign languages like French and German are taught.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sat May 11, 2013 9:55 pm

in that case, they should not include language in determining "ranks".

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Sat May 11, 2013 10:13 pm

both tamil and foreign language grades could be normalized by a combination of mean, median and cov adjustments.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun May 12, 2013 11:33 am

bw wrote:in that case, they should not include language in determining "ranks".

Students intentionally take phoren languages as they are easier than Tamil - a FACTOID.

I agree with KV - normalize. After all, it is only about ranking. professional school admissions dont include language scores.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sun May 12, 2013 7:44 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
bw wrote:in that case, they should not include language in determining "ranks".

Students intentionally take phoren languages as they are easier than Tamil - a FACTOID.

I agree with KV - normalize. After all, it is only about ranking. professional school admissions dont include language scores.

if they are offered at a lower level, it is but natural that kids who aren't passionate about tamil may opt for those. penalizing them by eliminating them from the ranking system totally doesn't seem right.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Mon May 13, 2013 12:03 pm

bw wrote:
if they are offered at a lower level, it is but natural that kids who aren't passionate about tamil may opt for those. penalizing them by eliminating them from the ranking system totally doesn't seem right.

you want students to learn tamil. no need to make it compulsory. pass a law requiring that to get jobs in tn, you either stuidy tamil at highschool or pass a comparable eaxm before considered for job in tn.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down