Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Obama on Osama

+7
Admin
Merlot Daruwala
artood2
charvaka
Hellsangel
MaxEntropy_Man
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
11 posters

Go down

Obama on Osama Empty Obama on Osama

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun May 01, 2011 10:47 pm

Killed? Captured ?

Repercussions ?

For sure, Obama ratings will shoot up - at least temporarily.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Obama on Osama Empty Re: Obama on Osama

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun May 01, 2011 11:12 pm

is he really central to anything anymore? what is his relevance other than as a figurehead? good timing though; on a monday morning people will wake up to this. will boost the president's poll numbers for a while is all.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sun May 01, 2011 11:14 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:Repercussions ?

Near Islamabad in a mansion.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun May 01, 2011 11:17 pm

[quote="Hellsangel"][quote="Marathadi-Saamiyaar"]Repercussions ?

/

Near Islamabad in a mansion.

That is what I came to post here : from CNN: A senior U.S. official tells CNN Osama bin Laden was killed by the U.S. forces in a mansion outside the Pakistani capital of Islamabad.

So it only proves that the Pakistanis were hand in glove with him and also ISI also was cheating the world. Will the West take pakistanis to task at least now ?

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Mon May 02, 2011 12:30 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:Killed? Captured ?

Repercussions ?

For sure, Obama ratings will shoot up - at least temporarily.
It is entirely fitting that Osama was killed hardly 30 miles from Islamabad. For years the Pakis have been claiming that Osama is not on their territory. I am also glad that the Pakis have had to swallow their pride and allow American ground forces to operate on their soil; not just in some remote tribal region, mind you, but in a major city so close to their capital. All in all, great news!
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Mon May 02, 2011 12:35 am

It was around 80 miles from Islamabad
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Mon May 02, 2011 12:39 am

artood2 wrote:It was around 80 miles from Islamabad
Thanks for the correction. Wikipedia said it's 50 km from Islamabad... of course, Wikipedia is often wrong.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Mon May 02, 2011 12:42 am

charvaka wrote:
Thanks for the correction. Wikipedia said it's 50 km from Islamabad... of course, Wikipedia is often wrong.

The road route on google maps ia around 140km. Point to point distance may be smaller.

Last edited by artood2 on Mon May 02, 2011 12:42 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Mon May 02, 2011 1:10 am

This will have important ramifications for Pakistani domestic politics. Allowing American troops to operate in major cities means lots of popular outrage. Particularly after that recent CIA incident. Pakistani sovereignty became a joke in the '80s, and now it's a full-fledged circus. I can't imagine what the latest conspiracy theory on the street will be... perhaps, "Americans brought Osama to Abbottabad from Afghanistan and then killed him there."
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Mon May 02, 2011 1:13 am

charvaka wrote:This will have important ramifications for Pakistani domestic politics. Allowing American troops to operate in major cities means lots of popular outrage. Particularly after that recent CIA incident. Pakistani sovereignty became a joke in the '80s, and now it's a full-fledged circus. I can't imagine what the latest conspiracy theory on the street will be... perhaps, "Americans brought Osama to Abbottabad from Afghanistan and then killed him there."

This will be the end of Zardari in Pakistan. A coup attempt is not very far off.
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon May 02, 2011 1:27 am

Crowd in Washington - White house and mall at this late hour on Sunday is astonishing.

Obama rating will skyrocket over the next week. Obama will almost certainly win 2012.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Mon May 02, 2011 1:29 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:Obama rating will skyrocket over the next week. Obama will almost certainly win 2012.
A week is a long time in politics. Obama will win or lose depending on the unemployment rate the Fall of 2012. Unless the GOP executes its death wish by focusing on cutting medicare and giving the money to the super-rich.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Mon May 02, 2011 2:02 am

Osama bin Laden -- the longtime leader of al Qaeda -- was killed by U.S. forces in a mansion about 100 kilometers, or 62 miles, north of the Pakistani capital of Islamabad along with other family members, a senior U.S. official told CNN.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/05/02/bin.laden.raid/index.html?hpt=T1
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Mon May 02, 2011 2:04 am

artood2 wrote:Osama bin Laden -- the longtime leader of al Qaeda -- was killed by U.S. forces in a mansion about 100 kilometers, or 62 miles, north of the Pakistani capital of Islamabad along with other family members, a senior U.S. official told CNN.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/05/02/bin.laden.raid/index.html?hpt=T1
Haha... that clears it up. Any guesses who will replace Zardari? I guess Kayani will be the Chief Executive for a while, eh?
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon May 02, 2011 2:05 am

The Islamabad-Abotabad distance is like the Budget deficit.

Nobody is able to estimate it correctly.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Mon May 02, 2011 2:07 am

The U.S. team was at the compound for about 40 minutes, the officials said. There were no casualties on the American side, although a U.S. helicopter crashed during the raid due to mechanical problems. The helicopter was then destroyed for security reasons, senior administration officials said.

This has to be the weird portion of the news. Sounds like the press release from ironman.
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Mon May 02, 2011 2:09 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:good timing though; on a monday morning people will wake up to this. will boost the president's poll numbers for a while is all.

I bet the kill happened a while back, but the US waited for the royal wedding to get over so they could fully milk the next news cycle.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon May 02, 2011 2:10 am

artood2 wrote:The U.S. team was at the compound for about 40 minutes, the officials said. There were no casualties on the American side, although a U.S. helicopter crashed during the raid due to mechanical problems. The helicopter was then destroyed for security reasons, senior administration officials said.

This has to be the weird portion of the news. Sounds like the press release from ironman.
The chopper probably took some fatal fire. And if it went down early in the operation, they might have destroyed it to prevent the contents from falling into the hands of bin Laden and his crowd (because they hadn't yet established control of the mansion.)
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://such.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon May 02, 2011 2:12 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:good timing though; on a monday morning people will wake up to this. will boost the president's poll numbers for a while is all.

I bet the kill happened a while back, but the US waited for the royal wedding to get over so they could fully milk the next news cycle.

We will have to wait another 8 years for a tell-all book by some Obama insider for this to come out.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Mon May 02, 2011 2:13 am

Admin wrote:The chopper probably took some fatal fire. And if it went down early in the operation, they might have destroyed it to prevent the contents from falling into the hands of bin Laden and his crowd (because they hadn't yet established control of the mansion.)

Or someone in ISI just shot it... Why should an incident like this miss out on a few conspiracy theories?
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Mon May 02, 2011 2:15 am

artood2 wrote:
Admin wrote:The chopper probably took some fatal fire. And if it went down early in the operation, they might have destroyed it to prevent the contents from falling into the hands of bin Laden and his crowd (because they hadn't yet established control of the mansion.)

Or someone in ISI just shot it... Why should an incident like this miss out on a few conspiracy theories?
Talking of conspiracy theories, here's mine: the mansion probably belong to or was secured by the ISI. So, even as Bushy was paying Mushy to take out bin Laden, he was actually being protected by the ISI. That is my theory, and I am sticking to it.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Mon May 02, 2011 2:21 am

charvaka wrote:
artood2 wrote:

Talking of conspiracy theories, here's mine: the mansion probably belong to or was secured by the ISI. So, even as Bushy was paying Mushy to take out bin Laden, he was actually being protected by the ISI. That is my theory, and I am sticking to it.

They said ISI officers were present on the scene, it did not mention which side they were on. The story seems very weird for a glory run. Someone in Pak shot the helicopter but US does not want Pakistan look like an enemy.
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Mon May 02, 2011 2:32 am

artood2 wrote:Someone in Pak shot the helicopter but US does not want Pakistan look like an enemy.
Yup, that's the bottomline. This is the quid pro quo -- Pakis give the US access, and the US keeps the money coming. Admitting that a US helicopter was under fire in a major Paki city would be bad for appropriating money in Congress.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Mon May 02, 2011 5:17 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:

evvwrry von smells a rat in this news. buried at sea? before letting the news out? yes, laden must have been dead a few weeks, if not days, ago.

some conspiracy theorists are drawing a parallel between hitler's death and laden's death. some believe they both died on 30th apr but their deaths were announced on 1st may. i soon expect a fwd doing some crazy math concluding beyond doubt the end of the world in 2012.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 02, 2011 10:15 am

AB, thought hitler was BORN on 30th April or May 1st... LOL at the rest of your post.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mosquito Mon May 02, 2011 1:13 pm

charvaka wrote:
artood2 wrote:

It may not be really a conspiracy theory. He could not have lived there without Pakistan protecting him.
Mosquito
Mosquito

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Tue May 03, 2011 1:51 am

Tracy Whitney wrote:AB, thought hitler was BORN on 30th April or May 1st... LOL at the rest of your post.

wiKKi tells me that hitler unkil was born on 20th APR and died on 30th APR. i am waiting eagerly for a funny fwd.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Tue May 03, 2011 2:06 am

Another Brick wrote:
Tracy Whitney wrote:AB, thought hitler was BORN on 30th April or May 1st... LOL at the rest of your post.

wiKKi tells me that hitler unkil was born on 20th APR and died on 30th APR. i am waiting eagerly for a funny fwd.
Yeah, today is the anniversary of V-E Day.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 03, 2011 3:48 am

charvaka wrote:

hail wikipedia the great! my daily reported today that abbotabad is 50 kms from islamabad. http://www.telegraphindia.com/1110503/jsp/frontpage/story_13931924.jsp

wikipedia will have the last laugh. wikipedia can change its page to read 80 miles. can the telegraph, kolkata?

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue May 03, 2011 3:54 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
charvaka wrote:

hail wikipedia the great! my daily reported today that abbotabad is 50 kms from islamabad. http://www.telegraphindia.com/1110503/jsp/frontpage/story_13931924.jsp

wikipedia will have the last laugh. wikipedia can change its page to read 80 miles. can the telegraph, kolkata?
Hahaha. Time to create a Wikipedia page for this forum. And claim that it is the best desi forum on the interwebs. Very soon some lazy journalist will pick that up. And then we can use it as an authentic CH reference to be used in serious discussions.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://such.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Tue May 03, 2011 4:07 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
charvaka wrote:

I have read/heard at least 4 different distances. Earthshaking events like this cause tectonic shifts
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Tue May 03, 2011 4:15 am

Good in that it will give some closure to the victims' families. It may put a dent in the Al Queda apparatus for a very brief time, but jihadism is a multi-headed monster. From that standpoint, this is not going to change anything. As far as Pakistan's domestic politics goes, this is going to have a substantial impact. The battle lines are going to be drawn along who let the Americans in.

The US can still put this to good use by scaling down drastically in Afghanistan, declaring victory, and holding Pakistan's feet to the fire, in terms of clamping down on terrorists and its own ISI. The quid pro quo (aid for terrorism clampdown) can be really tightened up to produce some results, instead of the lame 'talks' with this "ally" on terrorism. I have a feeling this is the game plan. I am impressed with the way this whole maneuver was executed. Kudos to Obama and his admin. As for the next elections, the public has a very short memory and the whole thing is going to turn on the economy. This will be just a blip in the polls.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue May 03, 2011 5:05 am

Kris wrote:Good in that it will give some closure to the victims' families. It may put a dent in the Al Queda apparatus for a very brief time, but jihadism is a multi-headed monster. From that standpoint, this is not going to change anything. As far as Pakistan's domestic politics goes, this is going to have a substantial impact. The battle lines are going to be drawn along who let the Americans in.

The US can still put this to good use by scaling down drastically in Afghanistan, declaring victory, and holding Pakistan's feet to the fire, in terms of clamping down on terrorists and its own ISI. The quid pro quo (aid for terrorism clampdown) can be really tightened up to produce some results, instead of the lame 'talks' with this "ally" on terrorism. I have a feeling this is the game plan. I am impressed with the way this whole maneuver was executed. Kudos to Obama and his admin. As for the next elections, the public has a very short memory and the whole thing is going to turn on the economy. This will be just a blip in the polls.

He seems to be a cleaner version of Clinton. He is likely to use this sudden blip to score points on the economic front and reshape some of the domestic policies in his mould.This should slow down the many "candidates" and hold them down till the end of summer thus denying any of them the much needed flying start to defeat a sitting prez.

Right about the memory. Remember how bush, Sr - with all his wins in the Iraq War I still lost the elections?

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by muchocricket Tue May 03, 2011 11:17 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:is he really central to anything anymore? what is his relevance other than as a figurehead? good timing though; on a monday morning people will wake up to this. will boost the president's poll numbers for a while is all.

exactly, this is what I had said on the old CH

"hmm.. how stupid one can get. Osama became irrelevant the minute US decided to attack Iraq. Every kid from every nook knew Osama was hiding in Pakistan yet US kept pumping funds to pakistan. To me his death reminds me of the trillions wasted on a useless war which left economy in the dumps, hundreds of thousands of Americans that lost jobs and thousands of families sufferings. Stupid media trying to make it colorful by sweeping realities under the carpet, only fools will fall for it"

muchocricket

Back to top Go down

Post by muchocricket Tue May 03, 2011 11:26 pm

[quote="Marathadi-Saamiyaar"]
Kris wrote:this is not going to change anything.

bingo! still won't be able to get into the airplane without being groped by TSA personnel

muchocricket

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Wed May 04, 2011 12:51 am

It is a psychological blow as 9/11 was.
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down