Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The MARD initoative by Farhan Akhtar

+6
Impedimenta
bw
Captain Bhankas
Merlot Daruwala
Kris
iTEDx
10 posters

Go down

The MARD initoative by Farhan Akhtar Empty The MARD initoative by Farhan Akhtar

Post by iTEDx Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:41 pm

I just saw an interview of MARD initiative by Farhan Akhtar, and then also checked out his facebook page. What do you think of this initiative? Do you think we can change the mentality of men in India? I am not sure, but its nice to see a film personality (and perhaps the first film personality ever) to actually do something about this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvaGuviHQBc

iTEDx

Back to top Go down

The MARD initoative by Farhan Akhtar Empty Re: The MARD initoative by Farhan Akhtar

Post by Kris Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:09 pm

I listened to about 6 minutes of the clip. He seems very decent and well-meaning. I think changing attitudes is a tall order, but this guy and celebrities who take up these causes are to be commended in that they at least can get the ball rolling.

Kris

Back to top Go down

The MARD initoative by Farhan Akhtar Empty Re: The MARD initoative by Farhan Akhtar

Post by iTEDx Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:15 pm

do you still believe it is a tall order if celebrities endorse it? I feel that the film industry has a huge role, as important as a role that a police can play in bringing down crime against women

a short interview

http://tehelka.com/a-real-man-takes-no-for-an-answer/?singlepage=1

iTEDx

Back to top Go down

Post by iTEDx Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:57 am

anybody looked at his website?

iTEDx

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:09 am

The Interview wrote:Q: Since you’re in the thick of the cinema industry, how do you see Bollywood playing a role in changing how we view women

A: It is a problem as of now, and I think we should all introspect and see how we can make movies without objectifying women.....

That would wipe out 95% of Bollywood.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by iTEDx Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:55 am

true. But if you have noticed, his films dont objectify women (DCH, ZNMD, KcK etc) and yet they are successful. I think the real culprits of bollywood are Salman Khan and Akhay Kumar who treat women like crap in their films. I remember a dialogue in the film Tees Mar Khan where Akshay Kumar says - "ek tawayaf ki lootee hui izzat bachana bilkul bekar hai". I was shocked to hear such sick condoning of rape by a film hero. It is doalogues like -" I can also slap you and give you the money" (Salman Khan to Sonakshi Sinha in Dabanng) that need to stop. It is that type of mentality that we need to stop in bollywood.

iTEDx

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Bhankas Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:10 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
The Interview wrote:Q: Since you’re in the thick of the cinema industry, how do you see Bollywood playing a role in changing how we view women

A: It is a problem as of now, and I think we should all introspect and see how we can make movies without objectifying women.....

you are being too kind, agent. when a leading actress in bollywood married into a royal family shakes to the tune of "mai to tandoori murgi hoon yaar, gatka le mujhe alcohol se", you know the situation is utter hopeless.
Captain Bhankas
Captain Bhankas

Back to top Go down

Post by iTEDx Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:01 am

[quote="Captain Bhankas"][quote="Merlot Daruwala"]

you are being too kind, agent. when a leading actress in bollywood married into a royal family shakes to the tune of "mai to tandoori murgi hoon yaar, gatka le mujhe alcohol se", you know the situation is utter hopeless.

I think thats where the problem is in perception. Kareena can sing and dance to such lyrics and that is OK, as she is a woman, and not a women in distress! She is potraying a sexy siren, who is in control of her life. That can not be blamed for violence against women. What I object it condoning or endorsing bad behavior of men against women by male film heros (just like the 2 examples I gave above). There is a huge difference in bollywood actresses dancing to item songs willingly, and bollywood male actors stalking or treating women badly.

iTEDx

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:13 am

iTEDx wrote:do you still believe it is a tall order if celebrities endorse it? I feel that the film industry has a huge role, as important as a role that a police can play in bringing down crime against women

a short interview

[url=http://tehelka.com/a-real-man-takes-no-for-an-answer/?singlepage=1
http://tehelka.com/a-real-man-takes-no-for-an-answer/?singlepage=1[/quote[/url]]

>>>> The problem is much more deeply embedded. The thugs who raped the girl in Delhi didn't take their cues from movies on how to treat women. There is misogyny, envy, a need to assert power and a habit of violence toward women, among other things. It will be a tall order to effect a change in attitudes.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:15 am

[quote="iTEDx"][quote="Captain Bhankas"]
Merlot Daruwala wrote:

I think thats where the problem is in perception. Kareena can sing and dance to such lyrics and that is OK, as she is a woman, and not a women in distress! She is potraying a sexy siren, who is in control of her life. That can not be blamed for violence against women. What I object it condoning or endorsing bad behavior of men against women by male film heros (just like the 2 examples I gave above). There is a huge difference in bollywood actresses dancing to item songs willingly, and bollywood male actors stalking or treating women badly.

Yes, boorish leading men certainly set a very bad example, but a skimpily clad, bumping and grinding heroine is no better. The message that a woman is no more than the sum total of her body parts is equally demeaning and sets just as bad an example.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Bhankas Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:33 am

iTEDx wrote:I think thats where the problem is in perception. Kareena can sing and dance to such lyrics and that is OK, as she is a woman, and not a women in distress! She is potraying a **** siren, who is in control of her life. That can not be blamed for violence against women. What I object it condoning or endorsing bad behavior of men against women by male film heros (just like the 2 examples I gave above). There is a huge difference in bollywood actresses dancing to item songs willingly, and bollywood male actors stalking or treating women badly.

sure it is not a felony and i did not say that leads to crime against women. i was merely pointing out that nearly every movie made in india treats or portrays women as objects. there is rarely any substance to her role. she is supposed to reveal the only "talent" she has and she is A-OK as far as the director is concerned. and when a leading actress with impressive pedigree, immense wealth and even wealthier husband does it for a few bucks, it grinds my gears.
Captain Bhankas
Captain Bhankas

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:34 am

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:44 am

Oh, this is good but is it going to be forgotten like the show that Aamir khan started to discuss social issues? i even forgot the name. see, a lot of what these repressed creatures feel are picked up from movies. and i am not making a distinction between movies from various languages.

Again, i have always had this problem with the whole genre of "artsy" or "Realistic" movies made in the name of entertainment. what is the entertainment value in publicly showing rape in movies? i just don't get it.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by ashdoc Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:21 am

iTEDx wrote:true. But if you have noticed, his films dont objectify women (DCH, ZNMD, KcK etc) and yet they are successful. I think the real culprits of bollywood are Salman Khan and Akhay Kumar who treat women like crap in their films. I remember a dialogue in the film Tees Mar Khan where Akshay Kumar says - "ek tawayaf ki lootee hui izzat bachana bilkul bekar hai". I was shocked to hear such sick condoning of rape by a film hero. It is doalogues like -" I can also slap you and give you the money" (Salman Khan to Sonakshi Sinha in Dabanng) that need to stop. It is that type of mentality that we need to stop in bollywood.

generally i dont watch salman or akshay kumar films .

somebody was asking about my reviews---that how come my verdict in too many reviews is good . the reason is simple---i am not a professional movie reviewer who has to watch all films . i dont watch films which have a crappy feel from the promos and tend to watch only the better sounding films .

ashdoc

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:19 am

Didn't check out any of the videos yet. but in the movies until 70s/80s it was not that uncommon to show the hero slapping or rough-handling, even r@p!ing, his wife/gf if he felt justified in doing so. Remember too many such scenes from too many movies. All that has changed in the last decade. You don't see much of those. And if such a violence is shown, it's shown in a negative light. Not sure how or when this changed, but there is a change indeed. Dialogs remain, but not shown. This will change too, give another decade.

Back to top Go down

Post by ashdoc Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:22 am

Vidya Bagchi wrote:Didn't check out any of the videos yet. but in the movies until 70s/80s it was not that uncommon to show the hero slapping or rough-handling, even r@p!ing, his wife/gf if he felt justified in doing so. Remember too many such scenes from too many movies. All that has changed in the last decade. You don't see much of those. And if such a violence is shown, it's shown in a negative light. Not sure how or when this changed, but there is a change indeed. Dialogs remain, but not shown. This will change too, give another decade.

thats because more women watch films independently now and their choice counts . also the era of out and out action films is over---and in those films violence against women was maximum .

ashdoc

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:28 am

ashdoc wrote:
Vidya Bagchi wrote:Didn't check out any of the videos yet. but in the movies until 70s/80s it was not that uncommon to show the hero slapping or rough-handling, even r@p!ing, his wife/gf if he felt justified in doing so. Remember too many such scenes from too many movies. All that has changed in the last decade. You don't see much of those. And if such a violence is shown, it's shown in a negative light. Not sure how or when this changed, but there is a change indeed. Dialogs remain, but not shown. This will change too, give another decade.

thats because more women watch films independently now and their choice counts . also the era of out and out action films is over---and in those films violence against women was maximum .

Those were family dramas. Vinod Mehra slapping Rekha in many movies if she pissed him off. There was another movie in which, I think shashi kapoor or someone didn't like rakhi or someone's clothes (or maybe it was some other issue) so he violently strips her out of them and makes her wear something else. Also, the good FIL, usually Kadar Khan beating up the bad MIL, usually Shashikala, in the end. Raj Babbar r@p!ing Dimple Kapadia coz her someone had earlier r@p3d his someone. I can't fathom similar scenes now. And if I happen to watch those older movies, most scenes come as shockers.

Back to top Go down

Post by iTEDx Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:48 pm

Vidya Bagchi wrote:the hero slapping or rough-handling, even r@p!ing, his wife/gf if he felt justified in doing so. Remember too many such scenes from too many movies.

Shit that sounds horrible! I don't remember any such scenes though, unless the hero was playing a negative role perhaps? I don't agree though that things have become better in today's movies....I think they have worsened...I think the Khans and the Kumars are throwing the industry into toilet, and demeaning women like they have never been demeaned before in films.

iTEDx

Back to top Go down

Post by iTEDx Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:53 pm

Impedimenta wrote:
Again, i have always had this problem with the whole genre of "artsy" or "Realistic" movies made in the name of entertainment. what is the entertainment value in publicly showing rape in movies? i just don't get it.

Im not sure what you mean. I am not sure if rape has ever been shown as an "artsy" thing in hinidi cinema. In fact, i think it should be OK to show rape and the devastating effect it has on the victim and her family, as this would hopefully sensitize people, police etc against such crimes against women.

iTEDx

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:19 am

Captain Bhankas wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:

i had thought you had made this up. but i heard the lyrics of the song in the car yesterday. puke!

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Bhankas Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:21 am

yessirrr! those are the very lyrics.
Captain Bhankas
Captain Bhankas

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:55 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Captain Bhankas wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:

i had thought you had made this up. but i heard the lyrics of the song in the car yesterday. puke!

what does it mean? i am a tandoori chicken - that much i was able to make up. what does gatka le mujhe alcohol se mean? drink me with alcohol? how does one drink a tandoori chicken?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:22 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Captain Bhankas wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:

what does it mean? i am a tandoori chicken - that much i was able to make up. what does gatka le mujhe alcohol se mean? drink me with alcohol? how does one drink a tandoori chicken?

no doubt, bagchi, seven, and bittu singh fobby, the quintessential northindians here, and indeed, ewwwery northindian here, will know what it means. if they don't explain it, one should ask TMB, kinnamma, and the dyke, the "explainers" of the northindians.

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:31 am

Jeremiah Mburuburu wrote:
no doubt, bagchi, seven, and bittu singh fobby, the quintessential northindians here, and indeed, ewwwery northindian here, will know what it means. if they don't explain it, one should ask TMB, kinnamma, and the dyke, the "explainers" of the northindians.

Dear achachan, too bad you never learnt Hindi. Is that why you made "the daughter" learn it? BTW, why does "the daughter" have such a northindian name?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:12 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Captain Bhankas wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:

gatka means swallow. it also means gulp. these lyrics are very unimaginative (for lack of a better adjective) apart from being horribly "objectifying." i could have tolerated it as a dialogue but not as part of a song.

Back to top Go down

Post by iTEDx Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:37 am

well i maintain that its ok if women express their sexuality, and 'objectify' themselves, i take exception when men objectify women

iTEDx

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:32 pm

iTEDx wrote:well i maintain that its ok if women express their sexuality, and 'objectify' themselves, i take exception when men objectify women

An expression of sexuality is not the same as objectification. The latter is a unidimensional definition of a woman as no more than the sum total of her body parts. Sexuality on the other hand, is just one amongst many attributes that define the individual.

People perceive us based on what we portray, regardless of gender. When a woman objectifies herself, the men around will see her as a sex object. Period.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by iTEDx Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:28 pm

Ok may be, I somewhat agree, but then that's all the more reason its great that a bollywood star is starting such an initiative. Though what I disagree with it the fact that his website and status updates are all in English. Majority of the people who indulge in such crime against women are not English speakers, so all his cool messages and taglines are going waste, as men who understand and 'like' his status updates are not the men who molest women in the first place. So I think it is imperative that he translates his website into hindi or else his messages are going waste.

Secondly, as much as i like Farhan Akhtar, he is not the hero of the masses. So IMO, he must have an actor like Salman Khan endorse his website. At the risk of sounding crude, I have to say that, I can say that with almost certainty that majority of the men who molest women are  fans of 2 people - Salman Khan and Sachin Tendulkar. So Farhan Akhtar must get endoresemnt of these 2 guys if really wishes to see any change and reach the masses, or else   his website will only be known in elite social circles.

iTEDx

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down