Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

varanasi - shit hole of the gods

+13
southindian
Nila
Hellsangel
indophile
Propagandhi711
Rishi
Merlot Daruwala
Captain Bhankas
Vakavaka Pakapaka
confuzzled dude
nevada
goodcitizn
MaxEntropy_Man
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

varanasi - shit hole of the gods Empty varanasi - shit hole of the gods

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:48 pm

http://memestreamblog.wordpress.com/2007/02/04/varanasi-shit-hole-of-the-gods/
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

varanasi - shit hole of the gods Empty Re: varanasi - shit hole of the gods

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:52 pm

my orthodox maternal great grandparents who i had the privilege of knowing as a boy spoke with great reverence about this place, a pilgrimage they willingly made once in their lives. i was even moved to consider visiting it myself. my more pragmatic paternal grandfather advised me not to bother visiting this shit hole. i am glad i listened to him.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:42 pm

I visited Varanasi in 2010 as part of a business trip. Besides the filth, it was amazing to see the amount of drugs from bhong to grass readily available on and around the temple grounds, surreptitiously peddled by unkempt, long-bearded, saffron-clad, zombie-like holy men. Instead of taking a dip in the Ganges one could save the trip by immersing in the closest septic tank.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by nevada Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:30 pm

In school we had an English lesson which was Gandhi's recollection of his horrific trip to Benares. That did it for me. I swore that I would never visit that place.

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:33 pm

This has prompted me to write a blog on my various visits to Varanasi. Incidentally reading the posts on this thread reminds me of the saying: bandar kya jaane adrakh ka swaad.

Back to top Go down

Post by nevada Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:58 pm

Only a pig knows the joy of playing in a shit infested sewer.

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:13 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:http://memestreamblog.wordpress.com/2007/02/04/varanasi-shit-hole-of-the-gods/

I guess the author's issue is with Varanasi being a Holy city (the holiest city in Hinduism, in his own words) ; Had it been, say, New Delhi then he might have drawn parallels to the state inner-cities of LA or NY and might have found it acceptable. Not at all constructive criticism IMO.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:33 pm

goodcitizn wrote:I visited Varanasi in 2010 as part of a business trip. Besides the filth, it was amazing to see the amount of drugs from bhong to grass readily available on and around the temple grounds, surreptitiously peddled by unkempt, long-bearded, saffron-clad, zombie-like holy men. Instead of taking a dip in the Ganges one could save the trip by immersing in the closest septic tank.

When you say 'closest septic tank' are you referring to the Cooum river? Isn't it hypocritical for a TN resident to whine about the pollution in Varanasi when back home you have the Cooum river?

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:45 pm

Rashmun wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:I visited Varanasi in 2010 as part of a business trip. Besides the filth, it was amazing to see the amount of drugs from bhong to grass readily available on and around the temple grounds, surreptitiously peddled by unkempt, long-bearded, saffron-clad, zombie-like holy men. Instead of taking a dip in the Ganges one could save the trip by immersing in the closest septic tank.

When you say 'closest septic tank' are you referring to the Cooum river? Isn't it hypocritical for a TN resident to whine about the pollution in Varanasi when back home you have the Cooum river?
The Coovam river is not considered to be sacred like the Ganges. Why do you make everything into an NI/SI issue? Grow up and stop whining like someone is stepping on your big toe.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:00 am

I visited Varanasi. I agree, the place is dirty.

Two things I remember most about Varanasi: 

At Viswanatha temple, I was sitting and reciting Rudram. I couldn't go past one of the verses and was stuck (unusual for me because I know it by heart and recited since childhood). Then, I heard a voice that reminded me of the next verse! When I looked back, it was a sadhu who helped me. Then I went to Annapoorna devi's temple and recited Sankara's Annapoornashtakam. After some time, I heard someone else joining in the recital. When I looked back, it was the same sadhu. He advised me to do a gow daanam and told me where to go for that. I thought of giving him some money for his advice. When I looked back, I couldn't find him. He was gone!

The other episode was a sad one. Two kids, a boy and his younger sister were begging on the platform in Varanasi railway station. They were singing some song and the girl wasn't really interested in singing. The brother beat her up and forced her to sing. She did, but you could see how she swallowed her hurt and pain just to collect a few pennies.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Bhankas Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:10 am

why would anyone who does not want to contract deadly diseases go to these holy places is beyond me.
Captain Bhankas
Captain Bhankas

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:18 am

Rashmun wrote:

the cooum is a river that needs to be cleaned up no question about it. but it is utterly idiotic to compare the filth in chennai with varanasi. the difference is way too much. plus, varanasi is apparently the holiest place for hindus. by and large the temple towns of TN are reasonably clean compared to the shit hole that is varanasi. don't get defensive.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:21 am

Rashmun wrote:This has prompted me to write a blog on my various visits to Varanasi. Incidentally reading the posts on this thread reminds me of the saying: bandar kya jaane adrakh ka swaad.

the only swad that the bandars in varanasi can taste is that of poop and rotting corpses.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:35 am

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:I visited Varanasi. I agree, the place is dirty.

At Viswanatha temple, I was sitting and reciting Rudram. I couldn't go past one of the verses and was stuck (unusual for me because I know it by heart and recited since childhood). Then, I heard a voice that reminded me of the next verse! When I looked back, it was a sadhu who helped me. Then I went to Annapoorna devi's temple and recited Sankara's Annapoornashtakam. After some time, I heard someone else joining in the recital. When I looked back, it was the same sadhu. He advised me to do a gow daanam and told me where to go for that. I thought of giving him some money for his advice. When I looked back, I couldn't find him. He was gone!

The other episode was a sad one. Two kids, a boy and his younger sister were begging on the platform in Varanasi railway station. They were singing some song and the girl wasn't really interested in singing. The brother beat her up and forced her to sing. She did, but you could see how she swallowed her hurt and pain just to collect a few pennies.
'

1. It was no ordinary sadhu. That was the lord himself guiding you.

2. That was no younger sister. She was just another lost child, put on the job by the begging mafia. No lord was at hand for her, sadly.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:44 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:

'

2. That was no younger sister. She was just another lost child, put on the job by the begging mafia. No lord was at hand for her, sadly.

Hmm. That was Merlot, wasn't it?  Latest obsession of Tollywood script writers appears to be with Nagas, made me wonder if Sandilya was financing these movies.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:47 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

the cooum is a river that needs to be cleaned up no question about it. but it is utterly idiotic to compare the filth in chennai with varanasi. the difference is way too much. plus, varanasi is apparently the holiest place for hindus. by and large the temple towns of TN are reasonably clean compared to the shit hole that is varanasi. don't get defensive.

Max,

The Varnasi ganges business is no different than the Mahamam pond in Kumbakonam, TN. This temple pond becomes a dirty swamp every 12 years. When millions of people jump in, it becomes a mess.

There are at least three IIT graduates I know who think it is a great blessing to take a dip in that sewer at Varnasi. They are SI brahmins. Imagine the situation of illiterate people who do not have the intellect to question the stupid traditions and superstitions. 

Btw what prevents the Tamils from cleaning up the river Coovum? It looks like it will be stinking for the next two hundred years.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:50 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:

'

LOL

Touche!

How come prostitution is rampant in all the places of pilgrimage in India?

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:57 am

http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/chennai/more-good-news-for-cooum-and-adyar-rivers/article4570821.ece
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:08 am

Why are northindian holy place such shitholes? Go to any temple in NI and it'll invariably look run down...like a fetish almost

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:19 am

I visited Varanasi back in 2001. Stayed at Clarks Hotel and arrived at the temple at 4:00 AM the next morning. Took at a dip at the Rajendra Prasad Ghat (next to the famous Dasaaswamedh), the temple was not crowded. After breakfast back at the hotel we proceeded to Saranath, and in the afternoon took the flight back to delhi and on to Hyderabad. There were a few girls (8-10 year olds) on the Ghat selling diyas and other stuff to be offered to Ganga. Believe it or not, they spoke Telugu reasonably well (later I learned that those girls could speak about 15-16 languages including French, German, etc.).  Overall, I would say my experience was pleasant.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:21 am

indophile wrote:Took at a dip at the Rajendra Prasad Ghat (next to the famous Dasaaswamedh), the temple was not crowded.

i'd have recommended a visit to a dermatologist more than a visit to the temple after the dip.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:32 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
indophile wrote:Took at a dip at the Rajendra Prasad Ghat (next to the famous Dasaaswamedh), the temple was not crowded.

i'd have recommended a visit to a dermatologist more than a visit to the temple after the dip.

Well, I took a nice shower after I got bakc to the hotel. My nephew had a different experience. He went all the way from here with his dad's ashes to be immersed in Ganga, and when he was waiting on the Manikarnika Ghat with the priest (they cremate dead bodies nearby) he kind of dozed because of jet lag or something. A cow came by and peed on his head. The priest told him he should be happy because it was really a blessing! He too had a nice long shower after he got back to the hotel.  

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:45 am

indophile wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

Well, I took a nice shower after I got bakc to the hotel. My nephew had a different experience. He went all the way from here with his dad's ashes to be immersed in Ganga, and when he was waiting on the Manikarnika Ghat with the priest (they cremate dead bodies nearby) he kind of dozed because of jet lag or something. A cow came by and peed on his head. The priest told him he should be happy because it was really a blessing! He too had a nice long shower after he got back to the hotel.  

omg.

Anyway, I have played with cows as a kid... well buffaloes are easier to play with coz they don't move or run. Other kids would say that if you run a cow's tail over ur head u get good hair. I did do that, but I don't think it worked in my case. With buffaloes (and cows), our game would be to line up and do the dare of who can run under a cow or a buffalo how many times without touching anything. Like I said, Buffaloes were much easier. Cows were fidgety, and hence it took a bigger dare. You simply had to be extremely swift. And you had to wait enough to not make them nervous.

disclaimer: While I used to be a part of the group, I ran under a cow maybe just once, and under a buffalo maybe twice. I used to be sorta a 'guest' in that group (kids from the small houses lined up behind our house), and was the biggest phattu there. They used to coddle me most of the times, and push me sometimes to do big stunts, and I would do it, but by no means was I an 'expert'. Nevertheless, it was always fun to watch such sports.

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:24 am

Vidya Bagchi wrote:

omg.

Anyway, I have played with cows as a kid... well buffaloes are easier to play with coz they don't move or run. Other kids would say that if you run a cow's tail over ur head u get good hair. I did do that, but I don't think it worked in my case. With buffaloes (and cows), our game would be to line up and do the dare of who can run under a cow or a buffalo how many times without touching anything. Like I said, Buffaloes were much easier. Cows were fidgety, and hence it took a bigger dare. You simply had to be extremely swift. And you had to wait enough to not make them nervous.

disclaimer: While I used to be a part of the group, I ran under a cow maybe just once, and under a buffalo maybe twice. I used to be sorta a 'guest' in that group (kids from the small houses lined up behind our house), and was the biggest phattu there. They used to coddle me most of the times, and push me sometimes to do big stunts, and I would do it, but by no means was I an 'expert'. Nevertheless, it was always fun to watch such sports.

What omg! isn't cow urine supposed to be some sorta sarva roga nivarini.

going under huh! too bad you never rode a buffalo, you missed lotsa fun.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:30 am

indophile wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

I thought for Telugus U.S.A is the modern Kasi, why are guys paying visits to Archaic Kasi! It's like a trip from Kasi to Kasi Razz

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:37 am

my older's mundan (tonsure when the child is 2/3 yrs. old) was done in dakshinkali temple in kathmandu. mundan is preferably down near on a river bank:  a huge tank in the temple complex served the purpose. during the ceremony, the pundit made my cup my hands and poured some water in it. thinking it to be ganga jal, i instinctively drank it. later my mother told me it was cow-urine and that i was not supposed to drink it. i couldn't tell the difference but i suspect it was more hygienic than any ganga jal of varanasi.

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:45 am

Vidya Bagchi wrote:
omg.

VB: Your anecdotes are always so amusing! Keep 'em coming. I am sure I'll think of you the next time I accost a green polka dot outfit.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:26 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:my older's mundan (tonsure when the child is 2/3 yrs. old) was done in dakshinkali temple in kathmandu. mundan is preferably down near on a river bank:  a huge tank in the temple complex served the purpose. during the ceremony, the pundit made my cup my hands and poured some water in it. thinking it to be ganga jal, i instinctively drank it. later my mother told me it was cow-urine and that i was not supposed to drink it. i couldn't tell the difference but i suspect it was more hygienic than any ganga jal of varanasi.

The same friends that I talked about above, well, their houses had a big aangan types in the front, and they would keep it clean/sanitized using cow dung. This friend and her family (were marathi) would do a new polish quite frequently, or at least pretty frequently specially during diwali days, coz then they would draw elaborate rangolis on it, every evening. When you make rangoli on (I think still wet) cow dung, it sticks. Else, it doesn't. (Actually, while we lived in that house, I used to make rangolis on diwali too, and someone or the other would bring me some gobar for making a little patch in our front driveway, which was not a pakka road, it was made packing the mud). So ya I mean, while hanging out with them, I would do whatever they would do. So if they were running after the cows with buckets in their hands to collect a 'fresh' cow dung, I would run too (I still don't know why they preferred a fresh dropping), and I would pick it too, and then I would help them apply it on their aangan too, and I would make rangoli too. Well, since I was a bad artist, they would let me only fill in some insignificant portions with insignificant colors (Damn, they used me). In the evenings, their mom or older sisters (these were like 5 sisters), would wash hands, feet, and face of all the kids, so they would wash me too. And then they would apply pond's powder on their face, and red bindi on the forehead, and they would that to me too. (Yes, I have also eaten roti with raw onions or just salt with this other family that too had 5 sisters. Mom would be uber pissed the moment I came home smelling of onions,  and she would explode the days I came home smelling of garlic. I totally enjoyed pissing her off at that age Very Happy).

PS: Thanks GC! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:40 pm

A great citizens’ initiative in Varanasi is trying to awaken a sense of civic awareness among the residents and tourists, and taking steps to bring local issues to the notice of the authorities in charge. This is ‘Jago Banaras’ – and it would be so easy to implement it in your city or neighbourhood as well!

Varanasi (Banaras), popularly known as Kashi among Hindus, is considered as the most sacred and holiest of Indian cities. It is said that death at Varanasi brings salvation to the soul. Banaras is also one of the oldest inhabited cities in the world. The city is a major tourist attraction for both Indians and foreigners. Kashi is known for its rich cultural heritage, temples and ghats. It is the home to one of the most sacred Jyotirlinga (a shrine where Lord Shiva is worshipped in the form of a “Lingam (pillar) of light”) for Hindus, the Kashi Vishwanath temple and is often called as Lord Vishwanath’s home. Besides, it is also an important seat of learning. Varanasi is the site of the highly prestigious and one of the largest residential universities of Asia, Banaras Hindu University.

The city of Varanasi is a beautiful heritage city situated on the banks of the Ganges. But millions of tourists and pilgrims and an apathetic administration has led to a deterioration of living conditions. (Courtesy: http://www.india-goldentriangletours.com)
With the advent of modernism, the state of the city has witnessed tremendous change. The city is struggling amidst garbage and filth. The holy Ganges, which flows through the city’s ghats is also getting impacted by high filth and pollution levels. It appears that it has become a dumping ground both for the tourists who visit the city as well as the residents. In such a scenario, ‘Jago Banaras’ is doing its bit to keep the city clean and pollution-free.

The ‘Jago Banaras’ initiative is trying to instill a sense of civic responsibility among citizens and hold the government accountable for its work. (Courtesy: http://ithappensinvaranasi.wordpress.com)
‘Jago Banaras’ is an initiative started by the residents of Varanasi themselves. Hundreds of school children are part of the various campaigns under the initiative, which gives a greater visibility to the issues. The objective of the initiative is to draw the attention of the government authorities towards the pathetic condition of the roads with garbage scattered everywhere and other basic civic amenities including sanitation.

Jago Banaras engages with multiple stakeholders including schools, social and voluntary organizations and local residents to spread awareness about civic issues and find solutions together. (Photo Courtesy: http://ithappensinvaranasi.wordpress.com)
The initiative is a result of collaboration between Varanasi Vikas Samiti (VVS), a forum of local residents, and different schools and social and voluntary organisations in the city. The team at ‘Jago Banaras’ is using various social media channels to popularise the movement further. Local newspapers carry news on the initiative’s progress. Recently the team urged the residents of Varanasi to post/send images and videos of garbage and bad condition of the locality they live in or their surrounding areas. This was widely publicised through local and social media. The monitoring committee at ‘Jago Banaras’ planned to use these in the High Court as evidence. As a result, the team received a huge positive response from the people of the city as well as the frequent visitors. A large collection of photos, especially, video recordings of statements of citizens and affidavits of at least 40 different persons from different localities were put before the Hon’ble High Court with newspaper cuttings to show the reality that not much has been done by the local authorities to improve the state of the city.

In addition to legal means, the initiative is using various channels to spread the word including local and social media, student groups, etc. (Photo Courtesy: http://ithappensinvaranasi.wordpress.com)
As the fight for a cleaner Kashi still continues in the Court, the initiative is being received as a movement filled with hope and action for the residents of the city, who crave for fresh air and cleaner roads. By supporting ‘Jago Banaras’, we would be preserving the rich heritage as well as the environment that our ancestors passed on to us. In order to bring the desired change, the residents of the city and the tourists who visit this sacred place, should ensure to opt for more bio-degradable products and not to throw garbage such as plastic bottles and bags irresponsibly. The message is quite clear – It’s easy to go green- Reduce, Reuse and Recycle!

You could follow their activities on their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/JagoBanaras

http://www.thebetterindia.com/6825/jago-banaras-a-campaign-to-clean-indias-spiritual-capital/

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:54 pm

Just to needle Rashmun,

If you read the stories of Shiva temples in SI, one theme is common - Shiva was fed up with his abode in Kaasi and decided to look for a better place with genuine devotees...... So, he decided to move to the particular SI place! May be bhaiyyas kept Kaasi "famous" even in ancient times! Very Happy

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:59 pm

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:Just to needle Rashmun,

If you read the stories of Shiva temples in SI, one theme is common - Shiva was fed up with his abode in Kaasi and decided to look for a better place with genuine devotees...... So, he decided to move to the particular SI place! May be bhaiyyas kept Kaasi "famous" even in ancient times! Very Happy

Which SI place are you talking about? Even the Dikshitar priests at Chidambaram believe that Shiva's abode is in the Himalayas (Kailas).

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:02 pm

Vidya Bagchi wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:my older's mundan (tonsure when the child is 2/3 yrs. old) was done in dakshinkali temple in kathmandu. mundan is preferably down near on a river bank:  a huge tank in the temple complex served the purpose. during the ceremony, the pundit made my cup my hands and poured some water in it. thinking it to be ganga jal, i instinctively drank it. later my mother told me it was cow-urine and that i was not supposed to drink it. i couldn't tell the difference but i suspect it was more hygienic than any ganga jal of varanasi.

The same friends that I talked about above, well, their houses had a big aangan types in the front, and they would keep it clean/sanitized using cow dung. This friend and her family (were marathi) would do a new polish quite frequently, or at least pretty frequently specially during diwali days, coz then they would draw elaborate rangolis on it, every evening. When you make rangoli on (I think still wet) cow dung, it sticks. Else, it doesn't. (Actually, while we lived in that house, I used to make rangolis on diwali too, and someone or the other would bring me some gobar for making a little patch in our front driveway, which was not a pakka road, it was made packing the mud). So ya I mean, while hanging out with them, I would do whatever they would do. So if they were running after the cows with buckets in their hands to collect a 'fresh' cow dung, I would run too (I still don't know why they preferred a fresh dropping), and I would pick it too, and then I would help them apply it on their aangan too, and I would make rangoli too. Well, since I was a bad artist, they would let me only fill in some insignificant portions with insignificant colors (Damn, they used me). In the evenings, their mom or older sisters (these were like 5 sisters), would wash hands, feet, and face of all the kids, so they would wash me too. And then they would apply pond's powder on their face, and red bindi on the forehead, and they would that to me too. (Yes, I have also eaten roti with raw onions or just salt with this other family that too had 5 sisters. Mom would be uber pissed the moment I came home smelling of onions,  and she would explode the days I came home smelling of garlic. I totally enjoyed pissing her off at that age Very Happy).

PS: Thanks GC! Smile
LMAOOOOOOO! GC is right. your anecdotes are rich and interesting and i should read them. frankly i skip many of your posts (and  such posts to be honest) for tl;dr reasons. but this anecdote was A++

i recall helping spread gobar for the gobardhan puja when i wan 10/11 years old. and not just once but for a couple of years. the aunts had a strange ritual. they would make an effigy of gobardhan god on the ground using cow-gobar and place a cup of milk in the centre or some such bullshit.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:03 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
LMAOOOOOOO! GC is right. your anecdotes are rich and interesting and i should read them. frankly i skip many of your posts (and  such posts to be honest) for tl;dr reasons. but this anecdote was A++

i recall helping spread gobar for the gobardhan puja when i wan 10/11 years old. and not just once but for a couple of years. the aunts had a strange ritual. they would make an effigy of gobardhan god on the ground using cow-gobar and place a cup of milk in the centre or some such bullshit.

Sounds literal in this case.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:39 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

Sounds literal in this case.
LOL!

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:45 pm

Stupid article. Humans mess up a divine place and blame gods. I didn't like the title.

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:53 pm

Nila wrote:Stupid article. Humans mess up a divine place and blame gods. I didn't like the title.
+1

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:58 pm

Nila wrote:Stupid article. Humans mess up a divine place and blame gods. I didn't like the title.

What is a divine place?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:09 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:http://memestreamblog.wordpress.com/2007/02/04/varanasi-shit-hole-of-the-gods/

Senseless article.

It's monsoon time in India now. I can't name one city in India which is not a Shit-Hole.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:35 pm

Rashmun wrote:
Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:Just to needle Rashmun,

Which SI place are you talking about? Even the Dikshitar priests at Chidambaram believe that Shiva's abode is in the Himalayas (Kailas).

How come I can't quote and post? Carvaka has to look into this.

To answer Rashmun - read about the temples in Dakshina Kaasi (a place in TN), Sri Sailam (AP), etc.

Yes, there are stories about Shiva deciding to leave Kailash as well.

Re: Dikshitars - the answer that the Telugu old man gave you was correct. Shiva and Parvati are the parents of the whole humanity!

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:39 pm

Merlot:

"1. It was no ordinary sadhu. That was the lord himself guiding you.

2. That was no younger sister. She was just another lost child, put on the job by the begging mafia. No lord was at hand for her, sadly."

Yeah, not all of us live rationally every minute of our lives. :-) I didn't think that your Naaga God came to help me. I did however think that he was some mahatma.

That girl was probably 5 yr old! Very sad, indeed.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:57 pm

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:Merlot:

2. That was no younger sister. She was just another lost child, put on the job by the begging mafia. No lord was at hand for her, sadly."

Yeah, not all of us live rationally every minute of our lives. :-) I didn't think that your Naaga God came to help me. I did however think that he was some mahatma..

I am positive that it was PP aka Carvaka. He knew slokas and mantras, he always stalked you. so it must have been Carvaka - perhaps in his previous life.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:56 pm

Who are dikshitters? Are they custodians on this shithole of gods Varanasi?

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:18 am

Propa:  The Dikshitars of Chidambaram were famous for their devotion to Shiva. They were known to maintain tradition with impeccable integrity. Recently, they had a tussle with DKheads on Chidambaram temple.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:34 am

Vidya Bagchi wrote:The same friends that I talked about above, well, their houses had a big aangan types in the front, and they would keep it clean/sanitized using cow dung. ....So if they were running after the cows with buckets in their hands to collect a 'fresh' cow dung, I would run too (I still don't know why they preferred a fresh dropping), and I would pick it too, and then I would help them apply it on their aangan too

I've always wondered about this. Don't cows have worms and other intestinal parasites that could get transmitted to humans? I recall from high school biology of liver flukes which are transmitted from sheep....
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Bhankas Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:39 am

the paste-like solution that is prepared using cow dung fills the gaps and prevents ants/bugs from entering them. this is what was told to me by a neighbor whose family did this every week.
Captain Bhankas
Captain Bhankas

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:45 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:Merlot:

Yeah, not all of us live rationally every minute of our lives. :-) I didn't think that your Naaga God came to help me. I did however think that he was some mahatma..

I am positive that it was PP aka Carvaka.  He knew slokas and mantras, he always stalked you. so it must have been Carvaka - perhaps in his previous life.

rofl
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:01 am

Captain Bhankas wrote:the paste-like solution that is prepared using cow dung fills the gaps and prevents ants/bugs from entering them. this is what was told to me by a neighbor whose family did this every week.

Yeah, but what about parasitic eggs / larva that might get into our bodies? Worse still, there are people who eat it under the belief it is sacred. See: http://sakthifoundation.org/links_pancha%20kavya.htm

Aren't these jokers exposing themselvs to all kinds of pathogens / parasites?
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Bhankas Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:06 am

Propagandhi711 wrote:Why are northindian holy place such shtholes? Go to any temple in NI and it'll invariably look run down...like a fetish almost

i have not been to many holy places in india but have seen pictures of famous places. dirty ghats, sewage canals that were once a river, filthy animals feasting on the goodies left behind by the visitors, long lines and large unwashed mobs of devotees jostling together and overall gloom and doom about these places - ugghhh. iskcon temples are a welcome change though. their temples are clean and spacious. i have been to one in Juhu and one in B'lore and liked both of them.
Captain Bhankas
Captain Bhankas

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Bhankas Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:14 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:

Yeah, but what about parasitic eggs / larva that might get into our bodies? Worse still, there are people who eat it under the belief it is sacred. See: http://sakthifoundation.org/links_pancha%20kavya.htm

i think dr nutrajan is inspired by the lord shiva himself. shiva consumed halahal slowly and became immune to its effect. dr nutrajan wants to emulate him and become immune to all kinds of foreign bodies. what does not kill you makes you stronger.
Captain Bhankas
Captain Bhankas

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:24 am

Captain Bhankas wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:

i think dr nutrajan is inspired by the lord shiva himself. shiva consumed halahal slowly and became immune to its effect. dr nutrajan wants to emulate him and become immune to all kinds of foreign bodies. what does not kill you makes you stronger.

Haha..Shiva didn't exactly come away unharmed. He contracted thoat cancer from all those toxins, that got him the name Neela kantha. Nutrajan and his followers will probably get mad-cow disease - some may argue they are already victims.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next