Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is marriage a mere piece of paper?

Go down

Is marriage a mere piece of paper? Empty Is marriage a mere piece of paper?

Post by Rishi Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:39 am

WeAreNotAmused • 11 hours ago

Alliance Defending Freedom???? What a sick joke! How is trying to discriminate against your fellow humans remotely considered "defending freedom?" Freedom to what? Defend something that ends in divorce about 75% of the time? What a bunch of hypocrites! I'm so tired of hate groups masquerading as freedom fighters. My parents raised me to regard marriage as a mere piece of paper, as well as to respect everyone's rights. If we didn't keep people who are unmarried from participating fully in the rights granted to married couples, then none of this would be an issue. Either it's time to stop extending those protections to married couples only, or it's time to let all partners marry each other for the same protection; you can't have it both ways. People will always love the ones they love, with or without legal protection; the legal protection just levels the playing field.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/appeals-court-lifts-hold-calif-gay-marriages-19528404?page=2#.UdA-x8_ft0w

I think "We are not amused" is correct up to a point. It is a piece of paper in which a contract is written. As long as both parties respect the terms of the contract, the marriage will hold. All this tamasha of marriage rituals and lavish receptions should be done only people who have the time and money.

Rishi

Back to top Go down