Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

little known fact about Indira Gandhi emergency 38 years ago. This man the true hero of our people

Go down

little known fact about Indira Gandhi emergency 38 years ago. This man the true hero of our people Empty little known fact about Indira Gandhi emergency 38 years ago. This man the true hero of our people

Post by Kayalvizhi Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:09 am

Cable from US consulate in Chennai (tamilnadu_) to Washington,

I called on Tamil Nadu minister of labor and housing Rajaram at his residence last evening, and presented him a copy of the latest foreign service newsletter in which his picture with secretary Simon appears. The minister immediately asked what my reaction was to what had happened in India. I began to reply along the lines that a lot had happened since we last met. He interrupted and said: "I'm glad you came by because I was going to contact you. I want to ask you a leading question. Would the United States give assistance to us if Tamil Nadu decided to become independent?" ......

But a lot of the younger people in the party have been talking about it in the past few days. These younger people, he said, are saying that the USSR and other communist countries are backing Mrs. Gandhi in her efforts to kill democracy here; if this succeeds, communist influence will grow, and Tamil Nadu should secede and the question of whether the U.S. would help has been discussed. That was why, the minister said, he had wanted to raise the matter with me.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down