Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another case of honor killing in TN. Not different from NI.

+3
Hellsangel
pravalika nanda
Rishi
7 posters

Go down

Another case of honor killing in TN.  Not different from NI. Empty Another case of honor killing in TN. Not different from NI.

Post by Rishi Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:28 pm

Another case in Tamil Nadu

It was the sombre presence of 24-year old Abhirami and the tragic tale that she narrated, however, that brought out the barbarity that lurks very close to the surface of social life in our country. A barbarity that hundreds like her experience, a barbarity that threatened each of the happy couples that had gathered.

Abhirami belongs to the Kallar (OBC) caste and she had joined a Teacher’s Training College in Varothanadu, near her village, Surakotai in Thanjavur district, Tamil Nadu. On the bus to the college, she met and befriended a young Dalit boy, Marimuthu. This was reported to her family who confined her to the house and tried to force her to marry her 35-year-old alcoholic maternal uncle. Abhirami contacted Marimuthu and they eloped.

The hapless young couple went from place to place, and it was only after they met some Communist Party of India (Marxist) members that they could go to Kumbakonam and get married. That was on September 16, 2010. After a life of struggle in Chennai, and the birth of their daughter, Soundaraya, the couple returned to the village to live with Marimuthu’s family. However, just before Soundaraya’s first birthday, Marimuthu was contacted by Abhirami’s brother on the pretext of gifting the child a gold chain. On May 25, 2012, Marimuthu left home to meet his brother-in-law. He did not return.

The next morning, his body, hacked to pieces, was found near the river. Abhirami’s father and brother surrendered to the police confessing to the murder. They were arrested but were soon released because no witness came forward to give evidence against them. Since Abhirami herself belonged to an OBC caste, she was told by the District Collector that she could not claim the compensation payable in cases of Dalit deaths.
Fortunately, the case came up before the Chairman of the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) in the course of a public hearing. The NHRC ordered the District Collector to pay a compensation of Rs.5 lakh to the girl and her daughter besides asking him to arrange employment or a plot of land for her survival. Abhirami handed her share of the compensation to her in-laws but she is still to get the promised employment. Her in-laws, who face an economic boycott from the landowning Kallars because of Abhirami, have asked her to leave.

http://www.thehindu.com/opinion/op-ed/killing-love-with-violence-and-politics/article4881833.ece?homepage=true

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Another case of honor killing in TN.  Not different from NI. Empty Re: Another case of honor killing in TN. Not different from NI.

Post by Rishi Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:30 pm

I am just curious.

If a Brahmin boy falls in love with a Vanniar or Thevar girl, what will be the reaction from these communities?

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Another case of honor killing in TN.  Not different from NI. Empty Re: Another case of honor killing in TN. Not different from NI.

Post by pravalika nanda Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:34 pm

You're killing us with these inter-caste marriage problems, Rishi.  I don't know of a single-person in real life for whom this is a problem. In fact, I don't know anyone's caste unless it is explicitly stated in their name as in "reddy", "raju" etc. Why this rash of articles now, there's only so much we can handle. Give us some time to recover from Ilavarasan's suicide/homicide, just a weekend, to rough it out and then you can move on to the next story. Thanks in advance, Rishi.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:40 pm

pravalika nanda wrote:You're killing us with these inter-caste marriage problems, Rishi.  I don't know of a single-person in real life for whom this is a problem. In fact, I don't know anyone's caste unless it is explicitly stated in their name as in "reddy", "raju" etc. Why this rash of articles now, there's only so much we can handle. Give us some time to recover from Ilavarasan's suicide/homicide, just a weekend, to rough it out and then you can move on to the next story. Thanks in advance, Rishi.

Pravalika,

I will give it a rest. Just because you asked and my high regard for you.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:00 am

Rishi wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:You're killing us with these inter-caste marriage problems, Rishi.  I don't know of a single-person in real life for whom this is a problem. In fact, I don't know anyone's caste unless it is explicitly stated in their name as in "reddy", "raju" etc. Why this rash of articles now, there's only so much we can handle. Give us some time to recover from Ilavarasan's suicide/homicide, just a weekend, to rough it out and then you can move on to the next story. Thanks in advance, Rishi.

Pravalika,

oh, i don't like heights.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:11 am

pravalika nanda wrote:
liar. you dream of tall, swanky men.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:54 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:
liar. you dream of tall, swanky men.

Hey, hey hey! Fat women like Janice always dream of tall, swanky men.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:05 am

These must NorthIndians in Tamil Nadu.

SouthIndians do no such things. Max can confirm.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Bhankas Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:53 am

Rishi wrote:

Pravalika,

oye, security officer, wake up and deny the access!

Another case of honor killing in TN.  Not different from NI. 44367,xcitefun-secutiry-08
Captain Bhankas
Captain Bhankas

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:09 am

southindian wrote:These must NorthIndians in Tamil Nadu.

SouthIndians do no such things. Max can confirm.

MAX does not know much about TN other than Gangaikonda Cholapuram, Tanjore, Madurai, and Mylapore.

The rest of the areas I am in charge.

These Naarthies - Biharis and UPwalas have inundated all over TN - as you know TN is an advanced state and we welcome the poor, oppressed, and the unwanted from UP and Bihar (and Nepal and NE).

The Tamilians (in places like Dharmapuri and Krishnagiri, Gandhigiri and Dandagiri) are learning these bad things from UPwalas and booze and clubbing from Westernwalas.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:51 am

Captain Bhankas wrote:
Rishi wrote:

Pravalika,

oye, security officer, wake up and deny the access!

Another case of honor killing in TN.  Not different from NI. 44367,xcitefun-secutiry-08

ROFL. security officer gets tired easily these days and needs several naps. he's pushing 70 and ready to kick it anyday

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Bhankas Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:34 am

Propagandhi711 wrote:ROFL. security officer gets tired easily these days and needs several naps.

yes. working as a forest officer, security officer, grammar police, rapid spelling correction force sleuth, special apostrophe unit agent, elite comma unit head and a field agent in our noble war against error takes its toll. but this was such an audacious security breach that i had to wake him up to prevent it from happening. nobody enters DaThing caves without the security officer's oral permission.
Captain Bhankas
Captain Bhankas

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down