Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

do you even look at the RPM meter?

+5
Hellsangel
Seva Lamberdar
FluteHolder
Impedimenta
Captain Bhankas
9 posters

Go down

do you even look at the RPM meter? Empty do you even look at the RPM meter?

Post by Captain Bhankas Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:11 am

do you even look at the RPM meter while driving? especially a stick shift (i don't even recall if i had it in the automatic i drove for years in the USA)? i have never looked at this meter to decide whether to shift or not. not even while learning to drive. in the stick shift i use, i rely on my muscle memory and engine sound to shift gears but not the RPM meter. you?
Captain Bhankas
Captain Bhankas

Back to top Go down

do you even look at the RPM meter? Empty Re: do you even look at the RPM meter?

Post by Guest Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:59 am

Captain Bhankas wrote:do you even look at the RPM meter while driving? especially a stick shift (i don't even recall if i had it in the automatic i drove for years in the USA)? i have never looked at this meter to decide whether to shift or not. not even while learning to drive. in the stick shift i use, i rely on my muscle memory and engine sound to shift gears but not the RPM meter. you?

Oh that's what it's for. To know when to shift gear. I didn't even know that, lol. Always wondered why I had it in my car which is both automatic and stick shift.

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Bhankas Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:59 am

a total of two drivers taught me how to drive a stick shift but none of them ever told me to look at it. but that's what they are meant for, i think.
Captain Bhankas
Captain Bhankas

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:09 am

hello, i have worse issues here. i am not sure if i came into work with one earing on or i left home with two and one fell off. so, some empathy here, ok?  Rolling Eyes 

Also, i am only interested in your art work. is it ready?

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:26 am

Captain Bhankas wrote:a total of two drivers taught me how to drive a stick shift but none of them ever told me to look at it. but that's what they are meant for, i think.

Yes. When you drive stick shift in India, you have lot of time and might need another set of eyes to look at RPM while you also look at road for all possible dangers ahead/left/right/behind...

It amazes me how the drivers become mind readers of other vehicle users at intersections esp the round-abouts or traffic circles where everyone reads other's mind and adjust the speed and drive/ride. Now I understand the spiritual/mind reading power of Indians:)

I have still not mastered the gear shift but slowly able to feel/understand the ease of engine/ride at higher speeds with appropriate gear..Still Auto is the way to go. May be next trip Amaze or something better...

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:40 am

Captain Bhankas wrote:a total of two drivers taught me how to drive a stick shift but none of them ever told me to look at it. but that's what they are meant for, i think.

No, Captain Sahib, RPM meter / dial is not meant as an indicator for driver to change the gears in a car (especially with a manual shift).

The  gear shifting (in manual transmission)  is according to the car speed (linear or MPH for the car, not RPM for the engine).  Here is how it goes in terms of car starting, reversing and shifting gears during driving,
(1) Car (engine) start at 0 MPH and in Neutral,
(2) Reverse at 0 MPH,
(3) First gear .. drive from 0 to 10 MPH,
(4) Second gear ... drive frrom 10 to 20 MPH,
(5) Third gear ... drive from 20 to 35 MPH,
(6) Fourth gear ...  drive from 35 to 65 MPh,
(7) Fifth gear ... above 65 MPH

Note also that depending on the torque used by the car during driving at certain speed, if the gear selected by you (e.g. first, second, third, ...) is not right or matching according to the above Table (points 3 to 7), then engine will make a funny sound requiring you to shift the gear to match the car speed (according to the engine RPM which you get by pumping the fuel into the engine).

As for the engine RPM dial and RPM reading, that is a very good indicator for you to find out if your car needs tune up (by keeping track of RPM during idling etc.). Normally, a properly tuned car should idle at 900 RPM.... RPM reading is also helpful during / for timing adjustments etc.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:44 am

You (user)manual should tell you. If you ride a motorcycle (which I thought you did) you will see the speed ranges for different gears listed there too.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Bittu Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:56 am

The RPM gauge is useful for engines with non-synchronized transmissions to help the operator shift gears but even in these antiquated machines, an experienced operator will know by the sound of the engine.

For all modern vehicles, the RPM meter is just an informational tool for most people. If you are a super aggressive driver who likes to hit the RPM meter's red line, you'll probably keep an eye on the RPM meter because the rev limiter will protect the engine when you are shifting up but will not help you when shifting down. A mistimed downshift at high RPM will kill your engine.

Bittu

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:00 am

FluteHolder wrote:

Yes. When you drive stick shift in India, you have lot of time and might need another set of eyes to look at RPM while you also look at road for all possible dangers ahead/left/right/behind...

It amazes me how the drivers become mind readers of other vehicle users at intersections esp the round-abouts or traffic circles where everyone reads other's mind and adjust the speed and drive/ride. Now I understand the spiritual/mind reading power of IndiansSmile

I have still not mastered the gear shift but slowly able to feel/understand the ease of engine/ride at higher speeds with appropriate gear..Still Auto is the way to go. May be next trip Amaze or something better...

>>>LOL!

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:39 am

not if you're a "normal" driver but some ppl like to downshift for extra midrange power and such stupid maneuvers that could strip gears and blow the engine if it's not done in the proper rpm range. I reckon it's for those ppl. also selecting right gear enhances fuel efficiency greatly but most dont care abt that

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:43 pm

I don't really look at the RPM even when driving manual cars. I was surprised at the amount of attention paid to engine RPM when flying a plane -- you scan it just often as you scan your speed and altitude, which is every few seconds.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:44 pm

Idéfix wrote:I don't really look at the RPM even when driving manual cars. I was surprised at the amount of attention paid to engine RPM when flying a plane -- you scan it just often as you scan your speed and altitude, which is every few seconds.

How many more hours for your license?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:46 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
Idéfix wrote:I don't really look at the RPM even when driving manual cars. I was surprised at the amount of attention paid to engine RPM when flying a plane -- you scan it just often as you scan your speed and altitude, which is every few seconds.

How many more hours for your license?
Almost there, haven't flown in a few months because of lack of time, but have to go back and get it soon.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Bhankas Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:43 am

thanks for taking time to respond, VB, FH, Sevaji, HA, Bittu, PG711 and Idefix.

I'menta, the first captain is taking shape in my mind. a few more days.
Captain Bhankas
Captain Bhankas

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down