Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do you buy the frozen food sold in Indian stores?

+4
pravalika nanda
Bittu
Idéfix
Rishi
8 posters

Go down

Do you buy the frozen food sold in Indian stores? Empty Do you buy the frozen food sold in Indian stores?

Post by Rishi Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:55 pm

They sell this Udipi brand frozen Iddlis, Utthappam, Dosai, Channa Masala etc all made in India. Do you trust the quality?

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Do you buy the frozen food sold in Indian stores? Empty Re: Do you buy the frozen food sold in Indian stores?

Post by Idéfix Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:25 pm

No. I do buy frozen shredded coconut from Indian stores.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Do you buy the frozen food sold in Indian stores? Empty Re: Do you buy the frozen food sold in Indian stores?

Post by Bittu Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:28 pm

(exactly what Idefix wrote) + 1

Bittu

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:07 pm

hey, are you asking this question in the context of the recent mid-day school meal OP special or just randomly? I didn't realize they were made in India. I thought it was made by some company in the boondocks of NJ.

I've had plenty of these udipi frozen foods. Their masala dosa with potato curry is very tasty. I've never had the frozen idlis cuz my mom always sends me idlis. Their Oothappams are very nice but not as good as my mom's, she lets the batter ferment till it's quite smelly.

what else, I think they have porottas and idiyappams but I've not made a habit of eating those cuz i'm not sure what I should eat it with, they need an accompaniment.  anyhow, it's not something we make at home so I don't really care for them.

also, when I run out of them which is usually in a week, I end up eating the amy's frozen entrees: the kidney beans and spinach with cheese one and the chick peas with cheese and lentils one. And I like tandoori chefs samosas.

in my local grocery store, they carry bento boxes of indian entrees from the local indian restaurants but I've never had them.

overall, I prefer amy's indina entrees for lunch and udipi's masala dosas. oh btw, I order out much less now and instead walk it to the grocery store whenever I want something. I don't like to store things in the fridge cuz then I forget about it.

was this helpful?

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Bittu Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:19 pm

pravalika nanda wrote:
was this helpful?

Yes. Turned me on to the point of no return. Thanks.

Bittu

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:22 pm

Bittu wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:
was this helpful?

Yes. Turned me on to the point of no return. Thanks.

oh! but I know so very much more about frozen food. let me warn you, this is just the beginning, the tip of the iceberg. watch this space. you're very welcome.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Bittu Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:27 pm

you are sweet. Any chance I can watch this space on webcam?

xoxo, B

Bittu

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:11 pm

oh, there is always the chance, particularly if you promise not to bore me.

Last edited by pravalika nanda on Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:14 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ..)

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Bittu Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:18 pm

you can't write bittu and boredom in the same sentence.

vot iz ur yahoo ID?

Bittu

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:39 pm

Some months ago I was in toronto and went to a new South Asian grocery store. It opened a week ago. They were blaring Hindi songs. Learned it owned by Telugu. Went to the owner and scolded her for not proud of mother tongue and why not Telugu songs. She was ashamed and said said would get some Telugu songs and play.

Speak up, you will get result.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Bhankas Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:08 am

Kayalvizhi wrote:Some months ago I was in toronto and went to a new South Asian grocery store. It opened a week ago. They were blaring Hindi songs. Learned it owned by Telugu. Went to the owner and scolded her for not proud of mother tongue and why not Telugu songs. She was ashamed and said said would get some Telugu songs and play.

good job, shaktimaan.

Do you buy the frozen food sold in Indian stores? 22mp_shakt_iman1_j_1089693g
Captain Bhankas
Captain Bhankas

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:32 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:Some months ago I was in toronto and went to a new South Asian grocery store. It opened a week ago. They were blaring Hindi songs. Learned it owned by Telugu. Went to the owner and scolded her for not proud of mother tongue and why not Telugu songs. She was ashamed and said said would get some Telugu songs and play.

Many months ago I was at this Indian Restaurant run by a Tamil person - I ordered a to-go and was waiting for my order, this TP thought that I am a North Indian and started talking to me addressing me as "Beti!" I replied in Tamil since I over heard their conversing in Tamil. A few minutes back he was about to offer tea for the Beti, but after hearing me talking in Tamil - he pretended to be busy.

Since then I stopped talking in Tamil in public - the same rule which I used to follow in B'lore. Just saying KV. Yep, he closed his restaurant after a month or so.

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:40 pm

Yep the Udupi masala dosa is good. I used to buy them when my DD was an infant and when I was craving for some authentic masala dosa and I had no time to make it. Their masala dosa is good.

I tried only the masala dosa and the quality is good.

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:07 pm

Nila wrote:

Many months ago I was at this Indian Restaurant run by a Tamil person - I ordered a to-go and was waiting for my order, this TP thought that I am a North Indian and started talking to me addressing me as "Beti!" I replied in Tamil since I over heard their conversing in Tamil. A few minutes back he was about to offer tea for the Beti, but after hearing me talking in Tamil - he pretended to be busy.

Since then I stopped talking in Tamil in public - the same rule which I used to follow in B'lore. Just saying KV. Yep, he closed his restaurant after a month or so.

You are angry at this man and happy his store failed because he called you grandmother? How old are you?

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:28 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:
Nila wrote:

You are angry at this man and happy his store failed because he called you grandmother? How old are you?
Beti doesn't mean grandmother.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down