Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should national anthem be played in movie halls ??

+7
Idéfix
truthbetold
Merlot Daruwala
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
Kayalvizhi
Seva Lamberdar
ashdoc
11 posters

Go down

Should we have national anthem before start of movies in cinema halls??

Should national anthem be played in movie halls ?? Vote_lcap0%Should national anthem be played in movie halls ?? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Should national anthem be played in movie halls ?? Vote_lcap100%Should national anthem be played in movie halls ?? Vote_rcap 100% 
[ 4 ]

Total Votes : 4

Should national anthem be played in movie halls ?? Empty Should national anthem be played in movie halls ??

Post by ashdoc Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:35 am

Why do we have national anthem before the beginning of movies in theaters ??--when everyone has to stand up .

Is this done in other nations also ??

Or only in India ??

When we cant defend against terrorists , what is the point in such symbolic gestures ??

Dont we waste too much time in fighting over symbols anyway ??--like statues etc .

Cant we bother more about the real issues facing the nation ??

http://emasti.in/threads/puneet-issars-wife-whacks-a-young-man-who-did-not-get-up-during-national-anthem.1970/

ashdoc

Back to top Go down

Should national anthem be played in movie halls ?? Empty Re: Should national anthem be played in movie halls ??

Post by Seva Lamberdar Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:43 am

"When we cant defend against terrorists , what is the point in such symbolic gestures ??" Ashdoc

>>> The symbols help, at least emotionally, when you can't do or have the real thing.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Should national anthem be played in movie halls ?? Empty Re: Should national anthem be played in movie halls ??

Post by Kayalvizhi Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:40 am

I have not stood for Indian anthem after my highschool days.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:43 am

Where in India?

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:47 am

I am not Indian, althogh lived in India a few years

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:37 pm

ashdoc wrote:Why do we have national anthem before the beginning of movies in theaters ??--when everyone has to stand up .

Is this done in other nations also ??

Or only in India ??

http://emasti.in/threads/puneet-issars-wife-whacks-a-young-man-who-did-not-get-up-during-national-anthem.1970/

It is played in Indian theatres for a reason. This time is used for people to settle down in their seats, close the exit doors and get popcorn, masal vadai, etc. If you have any doubt, check with owners and see for yourself.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:25 pm

Just now read the news item:

"How come you don't understand what is required? Is this your respect for your country? I asked him," recalled Deepali. At which, the man responded, "But I am not an Indian." "Don't lie. You look Indian," Deepali shot back. It transpired that he was of Indian origin but an Australian citizen. Not to be outshone Puneet Issar jumped in and told the man that he ought to be handed over to the police.

....(Pakistani Butt Kisser) Film-maker Mahesh Bhatt speculated that Indian-Australian in all probability followed all the rules wherever he claimed to live. "It is a sad matter that many among the elite and the wealthy think they are cool if they remain seated when the anthem is being played. The sentiment of the nation should be respected in totality, be it a theatre or any public place."

Now to the facts and the laws: Law has this to say about the national anthem, "Whoever intentionally prevents the singing of the Indian National Anthem or causes disturbances to any assembly engaged in such singing shall be punished with imprisonment for a term, which may extend to three years, or with fine, or with both." It clearly seems to indicate that sitting silently through the anthem will not invite punishment. Rather, Deepali's tantrum during the anthem might qualify as a disturbance.

if this young man had been a musalman and had stated tht he would not recite the national anthem as Koran and Islam are supreme, this Bhatt Kisser and Deepali Issar would have praised that Musalman's rights to insult India/anthem.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:02 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:if this young man had been a musalman and had stated tht he would not recite the national anthem as Koran and Islam are supreme, this Bhatt Kisser and Deepali Issar would have praised that Musalman's rights to insult India/anthem.

In that event, your response would also have been different. We would have had the usual hysterical breastbeating you are known for.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:12 pm

If the word Islam, mussalman or itsvariants including terrorist appear in a post with upplisamy name, you can be sure to see the defender of all things Islamic responding. Night or day, in India or in Usa, you can be sure of response from merlot sipping jihadi apologists.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:17 pm

truthbetold wrote:If the word Islam,  mussalman or itsvariants including terrorist appear in a post with upplisamy name,  you can be sure to see the defender of all things Islamic responding. Night or day,  in India or in Usa, you can be sure of response from merlot sipping jihadi apologists.

lol! 

Followed quickly by a Thread on Akbar, a Spellchecking post, and attention diverting cut/paste vomit.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:20 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
truthbetold wrote:If the word Islam,  mussalman or itsvariants including terrorist appear in a post with upplisamy name,  you can be sure to see the defender of all things Islamic responding. Night or day,  in India or in Usa, you can be sure of response from merlot sipping jihadi apologists.

lol! 

Followed quickly by a Thread on Akbar, a Spellchecking post, and attention diverting cut/paste vomit.

he was talking about Merlot, not me. Are you really this dense?

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:39 pm

Is this still done in India? I never saw it happen, and I have watched movies in theaters in Hyderabad, Delhi, Bangalore, West Bengal, and Bihar. I thought this practice was common in the early years after independence, but has been discontinued since.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:46 pm

Idéfix wrote:Is this still done in India? I never saw it happen, and I have watched movies in theaters in Hyderabad, Delhi, Bangalore, West Bengal, and Bihar. I thought this practice was common in the early years after independence, but has been discontinued since.

>>>> I have some vague memory of this from the earliest movies I saw, but not after that. It may started out initially with the sense of wanting to make the people part of the new nation.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:43 pm

Idéfix wrote:Is this still done in India? I never saw it happen, and I have watched movies in theaters in Hyderabad, Delhi, Bangalore, West Bengal, and Bihar. I thought this practice was common in the early years after independence, but has been discontinued since.

The news item itself states that Maharashtra is the ONLY state which still maintains this old tradition.

The problem is In Indian theaters they play so many ads and trailers a foreign kid may not even have realized that a national anthem was being played - what with half the crowd not standing or walking in and out during the playing.

The lady's comment is apt for the NRIs "Don't lie. You look Indian." That is THE fact. An Indian is an Indian no matter what passport he holds. World wide he will be ASSUMED to be an Indian (and also a Hindu - no matter how differently MAX's acquintences think), unfortunately expected to know Hindi, until he shows his passport and/or opens his mouth.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:29 am

The playing of the anthem is mandated by law in more-patriotic-than-thou Maharashtra. Its a great opportunity for sanctimonious pricks to show their superiority over lesser people. It's truly disrespectful to the anthem and the nation when patriotism has to be forced down people's throat in this fashion.

That said, this particular version of the anthem, played in some of the multiplexes, never fails to make me teary-eyed.

Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:37 am

Wow, that was a fantastic video. I thought the kids brought out more of the meaning of the anthem than you get from most "normal" recitals. I also liked the one-liner at the end; very apt in the Indian context: patriotism knows no language.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:32 am

I remember movie theaters playing the anthem in the early 60's during the war with China. After the war, people started whistling and not standing up. There were fights breaking out over this behavior inside. Thankfully they did away with this practice because theater owners complained about disturbances and disrespect at the start of movies annoying most people who felt patriotic.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Bhankas Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:21 am

i like jana gana mana but i don't like to stand in the movie hall only minutes after i have settled into my seat, after moving awkwardly (and crushing a toe or four) in front of the frowning audience in the same row. so my vote is no.
Captain Bhankas
Captain Bhankas

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:26 am

i don't ever remember the national anthem being played in theatres in chennai. is this a bombay thing? wait, never mind. just saw merlot's post above.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down