Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tamil sign board in Korea

+5
garam_kuta
Hellsangel
bw
MaxEntropy_Man
Kayalvizhi
9 posters

Go down

Tamil sign board in Korea Empty Tamil sign board in Korea

Post by Kayalvizhi Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:50 pm

Tamil sign board in Korea 45731_10201527446246496_1089592464_n

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Tamil sign board in Korea Empty Re: Tamil sign board in Korea

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:52 pm

but this sort of thing is quite common. i was in ETH zurich a couple of years ago where they had a wall with some platitude in many languages including tamil.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:27 pm

KV, this is what i saw at mt.rainier national park. i immediately called a ranger and told him that by next year, i should see tamil on that board or else...minddddd it!

he had a quick meeting with the rest of his team and they all looked at me, gesticulating vigorously. i am sure i have put the fear in them. we shall overcome!

Tamil sign board in Korea Rainie15

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:36 pm

bw wrote:KV, this is what i saw at mt.rainier national park. i immediately called a ranger and told him that by next year, i should see tamil on that board or else...minddddd it!

he had a quick meeting with the rest of his team and they all looked at me, gesticulating vigorously. i am sure i have put the fear in them. we shall overcome!

I told you not to frighten that ranger. Poor guy. Sad
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:37 pm

bw,
thanks

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:40 pm

Personal Encounters with Hindi Arrogance in America

P. Menon, Jeya Parasuram and Malathi

OUTLINE
1. Hindi at the Faculty Lounge (by P. Menon)
2. Hindi at an American Electronic Store (by Jeya Parasuram)
3. India TV in USA: Hindi News or Indian News (by Malathi)

India TV in USA:  Hindi News or Indian News
Malathi
This happened in the late 1980s. Unlike today, there were no Indian satellite channels available in USA at that time. There was an over-the-air UHF channel that broadcast a one-hour Indian program on Saturday afternoons. The program consisted of Hindi movie video-clips and about 15 minutes of news. I just watch the news. There were 4 newsreaders; they rotated from week to week. From their names, I think that one was a Telugu, another a Malayali and two from Hindi states. The first two always read the news in English. In contrast, the other two from Hindi states would start reading the news in English and in the middle switch to Hindi and then back to English and then to Hindi... So people like me who do not know Hindi were left with holes in the news.
I wrote to the TV station about this. Nothing happened. After waiting for a couple of moths, I wrote to the Indian grocery store and an electronic store (selling TV, videocassette recorders (VCR)) that advertised regularly in the news segment. I complained that I and many others from non-Hindi regions do not understand parts of the news, and would stop watching it and the stores would be losing audience. They are likely to attract more audience if the news is read totally in English. I received a letter a few weeks later from the electronic store that they discussed the matter with the station and that the news would be in English in the future.
This incidence shows three things: (1) The arrogance of the two new readers from Hindi states expecting that all Indians should know Hindi. (2) If we take the initiative and act, things could change when private business is involved. (3) "If at first you don't succeed, try again."

Read all 3 incidents at
http://www.tamiltribune.com/11/0501.html

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:43 pm

bw wrote:KV, this is what i saw at mt.rainier national park. i immediately called a ranger and told him that by next year, i should see tamil on that board or else...minddddd it!

that's probably because most tamilians are fluent in english.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:46 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

Riiiight.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:49 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

Riiiight.

there's no bengali either although it's probably the second most common language in south asia. once again probably because most bengalis who travel internationally are fluent in english. the cowbelters of course will require some additional help.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:51 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

Riiiight.

there's no bengali either although it's probably the second most common language in south asia. once again probably because most bengalis who travel internationally are fluent in english. the cowbelters of course will require some additional help.

Maybe most Bengalis are fluent in Hindi. They love Bollywood movies in Bangladesh.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:54 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

Riiiight.

I don't think Forest and Parks department knows Tamils know English. They think India is Hindi land because Indian gov proects such false image..

20100801 Indian Government's Hindi Propagation in Foreign Countries (by Thanjai Nalankilli), TAMIL TRIBUNE, August 2010 (16 KB) (h)
Indian government projects the false picture abroad that Hindi is THE language of India understood and accepted by one billion people (lingua franca of a billion people). Details of Indian government actions.

http://www.tamiltribune.com/10/0801.html

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:58 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:but this sort of thing is quite common. i was in ETH zurich a couple of years ago where they had a wall with some platitude in many languages including tamil.

Shocked tamil ! you say tamil.. 'sonnadhu nee thAnaa?' Sad

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:09 am

Hellsangel wrote:

Maybe most Bengalis are fluent in Hindi. They love Bollywood movies in Bangladesh.

Hindi Cartoons, Television, Bangladesh and India (by K. Roy)
Bangladesh banned the Hindi-dubbed cartoon in 2013 because it was adversely affecting children learning their mother tongue Bengali. What about India?
http://www.tamiltribune.com/13/0701.html

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:23 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

they have equated india=hindi and i am disappointed that you are finding excuses for them. shame on you. you shall be reported too.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:27 am

bw wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

they have equated india=hindi and i am disappointed that you are finding excuses for them. shame on you. you shall be reported too.

Hindi is quite literally "Indian".
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:29 am

How many of the tamils in Tamil Nadu have thank you signs in Korean?! Sollu ma kannu.

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:47 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
bw wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

i will report you too.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:53 am

bw wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:
bw wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

i will report you too.
>>>To the House Un-Tamil Activities Committee? Tanji and KV will preside over the proceedings, no doubt?

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:54 am

Kris wrote:
bw wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:
bw wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

i will report you too.
>>>To the House Un-Tamil Activities Committee? Tanji and KV will preside over the proceedings, no doubt?
Aka Hunta. Vaguely appropriate, considering commander and all.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:59 am

aka Hunta - House Un-Tamil Activities Committee

Idefix,
You cheapened a good post by your second sentence.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down