Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should Rayalaseema get the new capital?

+6
smArtha
Idéfix
confuzzled dude
The Absolute Zero
Vakavaka Pakapaka
indophile
10 posters

Go down

Should Rayalaseema get the new capital? Empty Should Rayalaseema get the new capital?

Post by indophile Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:11 pm

Already there are demands that the new Andhra capital should be built in Rayalaseema (T.G. Venkatesh's speech). Is it possible given the Hyderabad and Telangana experience? There is no guarantee that Rayalaseemaites will never demand a state of their own in the future (they do have the area and the population, and a distinct culture). My vote still goes to Amaravati. It was the capital of one of the greatest Telugu empires (Satavahanas), right in the middle of the state, no water problem with Krishna flowing by, beautiful scenary with the mountains all around, and even the name is that of a the capital of heaven. All we need are - nandanavanam, ucchaiSravam, Airavatam, a few apsarasas, a little amritam, and a playboy for a leader.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Should Rayalaseema get the new capital? Empty Re: Should Rayalaseema get the new capital?

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:23 pm

I support building the capital in Seema as long as 4-5 different zones (Nellore, Kadapa/Anantapur, Vijayawada/Guntur, Kakinada/Rajahmundry, Vizag, ) are developed with world-class educational institutions, healthcare facilities, infrastructure, research institutes, industrial parks, etc., to compensate for the loss of Hyderabad. That would bring prosperity across the state and there won't be a demand to separate.

Guntur and Nellore are already known for quality education. In fact, many of the tutorial institutes in Hyd are copies of those in Guntur.

Last edited by Vakavaka Pakapaka on Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Should Rayalaseema get the new capital? Empty Re: Should Rayalaseema get the new capital?

Post by Guest Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:29 pm

My vote is for ongole. Capital in ongole, IT industry in Vizag, Film industry around Rajamandry/godavari, educational institutions in guntur and nellore, industries distributed all over.

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:33 pm

How is the water situation in Ongole?

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Absolute Zero Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:34 pm

Should we choose a city/town depending on a location or just becuase it is good enough? Indoji I disagree with Amaravathi becuase the political system will destroy the culture and everything there within a jiffy.  The apsarasas and amritam(Daroo) will flow like Krishna waters there in no time and it will become another no-need-to-go-there city/town/village.

The Absolute Zero

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:35 pm

indophile wrote:How is the water situation in Ongole?

Not great. But you won't be taking away prime agricultural land. Like Uppili suggested, not having water facilities may be good for a capital. Politicians will ensure that water will be brought to the area.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:35 pm

indophile wrote:How is the water situation in Ongole?

No idea, but must be better than in rayalaseema. Besides, there's too much factionism (and rougue politicians) in rayalaseema to have a capital anywhere there.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Absolute Zero Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:35 pm

Also what is going to happen if the motion is rejected in parliament? Can Telangana movement then die a permanent death?

The Absolute Zero

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:42 pm

The Absolute Zero wrote:Also what is going to happen if the motion is rejected in parliament? Can Telangana movement then die a permanent death?

That is wishful thinking. It will pass (BJP won't oppose it). More likely, the assembly may reject it but this is not binding.

If any political party is counting the number of parliament seats in SA (25), and is able to get a majority of those, then, it may vote against Telangana when the bill is introduced. At present, I don't see any party with enough seats in parliament, having any strength to get the majority of seats in SA in 2014.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:43 pm

The Absolute Zero wrote:Also what is going to happen if the motion is rejected in parliament? Can Telangana movement then die a permanent death?

Not happening. T is going to be separated and the new state of SA is going to be formed. In a way it's good. It's better to sever ties with the ones who accuse the other of 'taunts, insults' and also looting and all. Not good to continue with them, with all the negativity. India did good by breaking away from Pakistan (or rather, have pakistan break away from it). Same is going to happen to SA. Let's move on and built a new and prosperous state.

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:02 pm

indophile wrote:Already there are demands that the new Andhra capital should be built in Rayalaseema (T.G. Venkatesh's speech). Is it possible given the Hyderabad and Telangana experience? There is no guarantee that Rayalaseemaites will never demand a state of their own in the future (they do have the area and the population, and a distinct culture). My vote still goes to Amaravati. It was the capital of one of the greatest Telugu empires (Satavahanas), right in the middle of the state, no water problem with Krishna flowing by, beautiful scenary with the mountains all around, and even the name is that of a the capital of heaven. All we need are - nandanavanam, ucchaiSravam, Airavatam, a few apsarasas, a little amritam, and a playboy for a leader.

Having river close by doesn't mean surplus water supply. Hyd is built off of Musi river banks too. How close is NH9 to Amaravati?

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:07 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
indophile wrote:Already there are demands that the new Andhra capital should be built in Rayalaseema (T.G. Venkatesh's speech). Is it possible given the Hyderabad and Telangana experience? There is no guarantee that Rayalaseemaites will never demand a state of their own in the future (they do have the area and the population, and a distinct culture). My vote still goes to Amaravati. It was the capital of one of the greatest Telugu empires (Satavahanas), right in the middle of the state, no water problem with Krishna flowing by, beautiful scenary with the mountains all around, and even the name is that of a the capital of heaven. All we need are - nandanavanam, ucchaiSravam, Airavatam, a few apsarasas, a little amritam, and a playboy for a leader.

Having river close by doesn't mean surplus water supply. Hyd is built off of Musi river banks too. How close is NH9 to Amaravati?
Amaravati's real problem is remoteness and lack of a fast road connection to Guntur and Vijayawada. As for Musi, it hasn't been a river for a couple of generations now Smile. Amaravati should not have that problem.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:15 pm

I don't know about Musi, but Krishna is a much bigger river. Of course something has to be done with the river to draw the water, dams and canals, pipes and pumps (like they do for Washington, D.C, Maryland, and Virginia). But in order do that something there must be river nearby, and all I am saying is that it's there. Otherwise, it will be like Madras, always looking for water. We need not even be worried about NH9 and its proximity.When Bhubaneshwar was built, the highway between Cuttack and Bhubaneshwar. and the connection to Calcutta- Madras Highway was built along with the City's construction.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:25 pm

indophile wrote:I don't know about Musi, but Krishna is a much bigger river. Of course something has to be done with the river to draw the water, dams and canals, pipes and pumps (like they do for Washington, D.C, Maryland, and Virginia). But in order do that something there must be river nearby, and all I am saying is that it's there. Otherwise, it will be like Madras, always looking for water. We need not even be worried about NH9 and its proximity.When Bhubaneshwar was built, the highway between Cuttack and Bhubaneshwar. and the connection to Calcutta- Madras Highway was built along with the City's construction.

But it will further jeopardize livelihood of farmers down the stream. How about near Rajahmundry. Godavari is bigger than Krishna, farmers in Ubhaya-Godavari zillas won't be impacted as much, they always seem to have surplus waters.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:31 pm

With Godavari and Krishna districts, the problem is the prime agricultural land. The two Godavari districts and Krishna  produce enough to feed the whole state and a lot more. Buildings, roads, and other industries (even software industry) that follow a capital city could ruin that agriculture and food production. Those 3 districts should be off limits to capital building.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:44 pm

indophile wrote:With Godavari and Krishna districts, the problem is the prime agricultural land. The two Godavari districts and Krishna  produce enough to feed the whole state and a lot more. Buildings, roads, and other industries (even software industry) that follow a capital city could ruin that agriculture and food production. Those 3 districts should be off limits to capital building.
Without knowing too much of the politics of choosing a capital for the new state, if I had to put a small amount of my money on the matter, I would put it on Vijayawada. I have a feeling it will win the race. When the new state gets a new high court, that may be in Guntur, same as the old Andhra high court.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:53 pm

Idéfix wrote:
indophile wrote:With Godavari and Krishna districts, the problem is the prime agricultural land. The two Godavari districts and Krishna  produce enough to feed the whole state and a lot more. Buildings, roads, and other industries (even software industry) that follow a capital city could ruin that agriculture and food production. Those 3 districts should be off limits to capital building.
Without knowing too much of the politics of choosing a capital for the new state, if I had to put a small amount of my money on the matter, I would put it on Vijayawada. I have a feeling it will win the race. When the new state gets a new high court, that may be in Guntur, same as the old Andhra high court.

The other avenue would be to check with your guruvu-garu what would it take for him to adopt you. It may not take much, all you might need to do is entertain him with daily doses of Hyderabadi.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:58 pm

Real estate is already pretty high in Guntur and Vijayawada, so not a suitable place for the capital city. Capital shld be in an underdeveloped area with low real estate prices, vast stretches of land with a scope for development, non fertile lands so that valuable agricultural land is not wasted, maybe arid, but with a chance to bring in the water supply thru canals and all. 

Prakasam, the coastal district, may be a neutral place to have the capital for both the Andhra and Rayalaseema regions. Ongole may fulfill the above mentioned requirements to a large extent.

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:00 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
Idéfix wrote:

The other avenue would be to check with your guruvu-garu what would it take for him to adopt you. It may not take much, all you might need to do is entertain him with daily doses of Hyderabadi.
Hahaha, worth a shot. But problem with guruvu-gaaru is he may turn around any minute and ask for Hyderabad as guru-dakshina.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:11 pm

Idéfix wrote:

I am afraid that could very well happen. Long time ago there was a big push to establish the Andhra University in Vijayawada, but good sense prevailed and it went to Vizag. Vijayawada has good rail connections, road connections, and even constructing an airport may not be such a big deal. The whole problem is, it's too much of a commercial place, and not a place that Telugu people could be proud as their capital (folks around here may throw bricks at me for saying that). Furthermore, Andhra should squeeze the center and get a lot of money to build a new capital, and that provides lot of employment to the local people while adding to the infrastructure of the state.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:14 pm

kinnera wrote:Real estate is already pretty high in Guntur and Vijayawada, so not a suitable place for the capital city. Capital shld be in an underdeveloped area with low real estate prices, vast stretches of land with a scope for development, non fertile lands so that valuable agricultural land is not wasted, maybe arid, but with a chance to bring in the water supply thru canals and all. 

Prakasam, the coastal district, may be a neutral place to have the capital for both the Andhra and Rayalaseema regions. Ongole may fulfill the above mentioned requirements to a large extent.

Also, it's very important to choose a place where the locals have a good attitude. There will be an exodus of ppl from other parts of the state to the capital. The locals should be open to that and not go, 'the outsiders are moving in and looting us' and get unreasonably selfish to drive them out eventually. We don't want a telangana repeated after 50 yrs when the development is all done.

Back to top Go down

Post by smArtha Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:53 pm

Quoting from a website
"Ongole could be an ideal location but it does not have influential leaders lobbying for it. If the new state capital comes up near Ongole, the backward Prakasam district will get a fillip. The government already had acquired nearly 30,000 acres of land in Ongole. Virgin land mostly under government control is available there. The city is centrally located with a port, rail and good road connectivity."

Also, it seems CBN had demanded that AP(looks like SA gets to keep that name at the least :-)), be given some 200K to 400K crore rupees towards developing a new Capital City. What is the likely hood that the new central govt. that will be formed in 2014 (if it is not led by BJP or Cong) will honor that? May be AP residents and sympathizers stop paying various taxes to the centre for the next 10 years or so and contribute that towards developing their Capital City?

smArtha

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:59 pm

kinnera wrote:
 Also, it's very important to choose a place where the locals have a good attitude. There will be an exodus of ppl from other parts of the state to the capital. The locals should be open to that and not go, 'the outsiders are moving in and looting us' and get unreasonably selfish to drive them out eventually. We don't want a telangana repeated after 50 yrs when the development is all done.

I hear Kadapa guys are extremely nice to women and treat their women very well. That seems like a good attitude to me Smile

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:07 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
kinnera wrote:

I hear Kadapa guys are extremely nice to women and treat their women very well. That seems like a good attitude to me Smile

It is, but do you want the capital in jagan's home town? He is the reigning king there and the most corrupt one at that.

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:21 pm

kinnera wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
kinnera wrote:

It is, but do you want the capital in jagan's home town? He is the reigning king there and the most corrupt one at that.

Jagan is temporary, attitudes are permanent. Besides there are many Jagans all over the state.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:30 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
kinnera wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
kinnera wrote:

Jagan is temporary, attitudes are permanent. Besides there are many Jagans all over the state.

not temporary. It has been going on thru generations and will continue to do so in future too, thru generations. It's not a good area to have the capital city. Yeah, kadapa men are great. if you have a daughter, give her to a nice kadapa guy, but having kadapa as the capital...nah, not a good idea.

Back to top Go down

Post by b_A Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:06 pm

Vizag is the best choice with an infrastructure that is closest to H'bad among the andhra cities. And people are nice and peaceful too. Weather is also much better than the hot Vijayawada or Tirupati/Ongole etc. Only issue is the distance to Rayalaseema but that's not a big deal according to me. When H'bad was the capital, it was far for the uttarandhra people but they didn't complain.

b_A

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:28 pm

kinnera wrote: Yeah, kadapa men are great. if you have a daughter, give her to a nice kadapa guy, but having kadapa as the capital...nah, not a good idea.

So are the guys from Coimbatore... they are so so sweet, polite and speak respectfully.... So ???

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:57 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
kinnera wrote: Yeah, kadapa men are great. if you have a daughter, give her to a nice kadapa guy, but having kadapa as the capital...nah, not a good idea.

So are the guys from Coimbatore... they are so so sweet, polite and speak respectfully.... So ???

so we love Coimbatore guys Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:27 am

b_A wrote:Vizag is the best choice with an infrastructure that is closest to H'bad among the andhra cities. And people are nice and peaceful too. Weather is also much better than the hot Vijayawada or Tirupati/Ongole etc. Only issue is the distance to Rayalaseema but that's not a big deal according to me. When H'bad was the capital, it was far for the uttarandhra people but they didn't complain.

it's landlocked, real estate is hugely expensive and quite polluted. I doubt they'll go for it

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:30 am

confuzzled dude wrote:
kinnera wrote:

when they arent throwing bombs and hacking each other, they're well behaved

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:32 am

Propagandhi711 wrote:
b_A wrote:Vizag is the best choice with an infrastructure that is closest to H'bad among the andhra cities. And people are nice and peaceful too. Weather is also much better than the hot Vijayawada or Tirupati/Ongole etc. Only issue is the distance to Rayalaseema but that's not a big deal according to me. When H'bad was the capital, it was far for the uttarandhra people but they didn't complain.

it's landlocked, real estate is hugely expensive and quite polluted. I doubt they'll go for it

If Gults have an iota of intelligence (I am beginning to doubt that), they should ask for resources to build a whole new city. That will put another city on the map, bring in funds and create jobs - and money for mafia.

Converting an existing city into the new capital will not only ruin the present city but also the new city will look like bad areas of Patna.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:47 pm

indophile wrote:
Idéfix wrote:

I am afraid that could very well happen. Long time ago there was a big push to establish the Andhra University in Vijayawada, but good sense prevailed and it went to Vizag. Vijayawada has good rail connections, road connections, and even constructing an airport may not be such a big deal. The whole problem is, it's too much of a commercial place, and not a place that Telugu people could be proud as their capital (folks around here may throw bricks at me for saying that). Furthermore, Andhra should squeeze the center and get a lot of money to build a new capital, and that provides lot of employment to the local people while adding to the infrastructure of the state.

The main reason for choosing Vizag for AU was political. Originally, it was supposed to be in Vijayawada. The kammas were done injustice by the other politicians. However, Vizag was certainly an excellent place for both Andhra University and Medical College (both have been quality institutions). I proudly proclaim wherever I go that I am a student of Brahmaiah Sastry garu and Vyaghreswarudu. There are no caste and religion based issues there. Even Kapus don't dominate Vizag. Let us leave it there.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:59 pm

Uppili:

If Gults have an iota of intelligence (I am beginning to doubt that),....

Well, they never did.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:17 pm

Vp garu is deeply familiar with andhra politics. Vijayawada was thriving cultural center with early Telugu newspapers and significant cultural activities.
Caste politics create roadblocks to its growth. Land is expensive but a place rumored as possible capital land prices go nuts. Windfall is the phrase everyone is thinking of.
I suggested ongole as early 2004. Cheap land and other advantages are there.
The primary reason is that both power casste bocks in ap feel they belong to that place and is located central to seemaandhra districts.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:50 pm

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:Uppili:

Well, they never did.

I have a special affection for gults...bcz my mom was born in Andhra (KV/Rashmun...this does not add any info to your library) and my dad spent 3 yrs in Nellore and half my family spoke gulti....and sort of felt happy that the Pseudo Biharis were finally waking up to their potential (given by Tamizhans...Wink

But, what is happening now proves that it is hard to change genetic wiring of people.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:04 pm

Well, they never did.

I have a special affection for gults...bcz my mom was born in Andhra (KV/Rashmun...this does not add any info to your library) and my dad spent 3 yrs in Nellore and half my family spoke gulti....and sort of felt happy that the Pseudo Biharis were finally waking up to their potential (given by Tamizhans...Wink  

But, what is happening now proves that it is hard to change genetic wiring of people.

Looks like Telugu side of your family passed majority of the genes to you Razz

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:40 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:

Well, they never did.

Looks like Telugu side of your family passed majority of the genes to you Razz

LOL.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down