Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Intolerance

+13
Impedimenta
Vakavaka Pakapaka
Idéfix
smArtha
Propagandhi711
Captain Bhankas
Merlot Daruwala
Nila
FluteHolder
MaxEntropy_Man
goodcitizn
confuzzled dude
Bittu
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Intolerance Empty Intolerance

Post by Bittu Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:50 pm

I am intolerant of homeopathy. Last year I found a huge stash of homeopathy meds in my daughter's closet, in a big blue box. At the time, my wife was in India. I emptied the box into the garbage can. When she came back she was pissed. Her mother is a big believer in homeopathy and gets her own meds. She gives them to my kids when they are in bed, just before they fall asleep. Doesn't this stuff contain sugar and isn't that bad for teeth just before sleeping? Why are the kids brushing their teeth if they are going to get a dose of sugar after that? Why are they being given these meds? They are not sick. What are we trying to cure?

My wife says "no harm in it. If these meds don't do any good, they don't do any harm either". This type of "logic" doesn't go down well with me. A friend of ours is now in India and I saw that my wife has sent her email asking her to get some homeopathic meds. I am pissed. Don't know why I'm so pissed. I should probably just let it be and get on with other stuff but I can't seem to do that.

My intolerance for the following increases with each passing year: god, religion, superstition, rituals, astrology, numerology, palmistry, homeopathy, vastu, horoscopes, feng shui...the list is getting long.

Bittu

Back to top Go down

Intolerance Empty Re: Intolerance

Post by confuzzled dude Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:02 pm

Bittu wrote:I am intolerant of homeopathy. Last year I found a huge stash of homeopathy meds in my daughter's closet, in a big blue box. At the time, my wife was in India. I emptied the box into the garbage can. When she came back she was pissed. Her mother is a big believer in homeopathy and gets her own meds. She gives them to my kids when they are in bed, just before they fall asleep. Doesn't this stuff contain sugar and isn't that bad for teeth just before sleeping? Why are the kids brushing their teeth if they are going to get a dose of sugar after that? Why are they being given these meds? They are not sick. What are we trying to cure?

My wife says "no harm in it. If these meds don't do any good, they don't do any harm either". This type of "logic" doesn't go down well with me. A friend of ours is now in India and I saw that my wife has sent her email asking her to get some homeopathic meds. I am pissed. Don't know why I'm so pissed. I should probably just let it be and get on with other stuff but I can't seem to do that.

My intolerance for the following increases with each passing year: god, religion, superstition, rituals, astrology, numerology, palmistry, homeopathy, vastu, horoscopes, feng shui...the list is getting long.

Something is wrong man, shouldn't this be the other way around.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:31 pm

Bittu wrote: I should probably just let it be and get on with other stuff but I can't seem to do that.
Ever tried homeopathy on yourself?

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:45 pm

Bittu wrote:I am intolerant of homeopathy. Last year I found a huge stash of homeopathy meds in my daughter's closet, in a big blue box. At the time, my wife was in India. I emptied the box into the garbage can. When she came back she was pissed. Her mother is a big believer in homeopathy and gets her own meds. She gives them to my kids when they are in bed, just before they fall asleep. Doesn't this stuff contain sugar and isn't that bad for teeth just before sleeping? Why are the kids brushing their teeth if they are going to get a dose of sugar after that? Why are they being given these meds? They are not sick. What are we trying to cure?

tl;dr
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:53 pm

This reminds me of a quote by a Famous astrologer who doesnot take a dime for his consultations. We donot bash/blame Civil Engineering filed/study/science for collapse of bridges/buildings. We would/should blame the engineers who built them for wrong design/construction etc.

I guess homeopathy is somewhat in that category. My son's skin rash couldnot be treated  or identified by more than few Allopathic docs but identified correctly with explanations and reasons and few days of treatments, it is gone. I guess it is a combination of ancient Siddha/ayurvedic  concepts.

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:27 am

FluteHolder wrote:This reminds me of a quote by a Famous astrologer who doesnot take a dime for his consultations. We donot bash/blame Civil Engineering filed/study/science for collapse of bridges/buildings. We would/should blame the engineers who built them for wrong design/construction etc.

I guess homeopathy is somewhat in that category. My son's skin rash couldnot be treated  or identified by more than few Allopathic docs but identified correctly with explanations and reasons and few days of treatments, it is gone. I guess it is a combination of ancient Siddha/ayurvedic  concepts.
My grandfather used to give homeopathy medicines to villagers in Madanapalli. They used to come regularly even though he was a civil engineer by profession and studied homeopathy as a hobby.

Back in 1992, I contracted what seemed like athlete's foot from the gym. Soon the gap between my left big toe and the one adjacent was beginning to develop a corn-like growth causing me great discomfort while walking. I went to two different doctors here and the damn growth wouldn't subside. Surgery was recommended and, rats, I didn't want that. Coincidentally I had to visit India the following week. It was sheer torture having to wobble around with my sore foot. Once I got there, my uncle took me to a local homeopathy doctor. I didn't want to go but he was persuasive. And this doctor gave me a small jar containing little white pills asking me to take 3 at a time 3 times a day for a week. I had no faith but I tried nevertheless. To my amazement the growth began to subside. Within a week there was no trace of it. And I could walk with my shoes on with no pain whatsoever. The old adage, "Don't knock it unless you tried it", is absolutely true.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:34 am

To take homeopathy one should give up coffee...not for me. My sister's MIL used to faint often and even they (Narayan Hrudayala )couldn't diagnose her but homeopathy cured her. May be she is giving vitamins? My Mom used to give us some homeopathy proteins while growing up...sounds similar.

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:10 am

FluteHolder wrote:I guess it is a combination of ancient Siddha/ayurvedic  concepts.
You guess wrong. This is good, old-fashioned quackery masquerading as a science. Those sugar pills are just placebo. I suppose many psychosomatic ailments, including auto-immune issues, respond to homeopathic treatment.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Bhankas Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:14 am

my wife swears by these meds and is a loyal. i've witnessed these meds working very well for her. not me though. for me, it is our friendly neighborhood physician (whom i have chosen based on his last name).
Captain Bhankas
Captain Bhankas

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:21 am

Captain Bhankas wrote:my wife swears by these meds and is a loyal. i've witnessed these meds working very well for her. not me though. for me, it is our friendly neighborhood physician (whom i have chosen based on his last name).
You sir are a non-believer. Placebo (including God) doesn't work for non-believers.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Bhankas Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:27 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
Captain Bhankas wrote:my wife swears by these meds and is a loyal. i've witnessed these meds working very well for her. not me though. for me, it is our friendly neighborhood physician (whom i have chosen based on his last name).
You sir are a non-believer. Placebo (including God) doesn't work for non-believers.
haha, maybe, but i have seen these meds work for her. only two weeks ago she visited a homeopath for some skin rashes and irritation and it went away in a day with 5 globules 3 times a day. whatever pedals her bicycle.
Captain Bhankas
Captain Bhankas

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:56 am

It is tough luck persuading people who believe in homeopathy to believe otherwise. The belief is too strong. The least one can do is to draw the line when it comes to the kids. 

I have popped them indiscreetly as a kid when someone handed a few tiny bottles to my parents, just for trial. I don't even know what they were for. I ate them like candies and I ate them without any supervision whatsoever. Guess my parents had also concluded they are just sugar pills. Nothing good or bad came out of it. But then, I had them just for a week or two before they got chucked out. 

Question. If they treat variety of ailments, how come they all are same white color and size? Do they taste the same too? How do they manage to bring this uniformity?

Question 2. Is it practiced anywhere outside India? I mean by non Indians, coz there are some desi homeopathy prescibing people here as well.

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:32 am

Vidya Bagchi wrote:It is tough luck persuading people who believe in homeopathy to believe otherwise. The belief is too strong. The least one can do is to draw the line when it comes to the kids. 

I have popped them indiscreetly as a kid when someone handed a few tiny bottles to my parents, just for trial. I don't even know what they were for. I ate them like candies and I ate them without any supervision whatsoever. Guess my parents had also concluded they are just sugar pills. Nothing good or bad came out of it. But then, I had them just for a week or two before they got chucked out. 
So you think....

Vidya Bagchi wrote:Question. If they treat variety of ailments, how come they all are same white color and size? Do they taste the same too? How do they manage to bring this uniformity?
Homeopathy's big idea is that potency increases inversely with dilution. So the "stronger" a dosage, the less of the underlying compound in it. The extent of dilution in some cases means a single pill might have a few molecules of the key element, the rest of it being sugar. So no wonder all pills taste alike.

Vidya Bagchi wrote:Question 2. Is it practiced anywhere outside India? I mean by non Indians, coz there are some desi homeopathy prescibing people here as well.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeopathy#Regulation_and_prevalence
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:34 am

Vidya Bagchi wrote:It is tough luck persuading people who believe in homeopathy to believe otherwise. The belief is too strong. The least one can do is to draw the line when it comes to the kids. 

Question. If they treat variety of ailments, how come they all are same white color and size? Do they taste the same too? How do they manage to bring this uniformity?

Question 2. Is it practiced anywhere outside India? I mean by non Indians, coz there are some desi homeopathy prescibing people here as well.
Dear Bagchiji, Homeopathy origins are in Germany. Hahneman (fondly called as Hanuman by Indians), father of Homeopathy was born in Germany. In India several universities offer BHMS degree, they will have to go through the same rigors as  MBBS students.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:40 am

confuzzled dude wrote:

Dear Bagchiji, Homeopathy origins are in Germany. Hahneman (fondly called as Hanuman by Indians), father of Homeopathy was born in Germany. In India several universities offer BHMS degree, they will have to go through the same rigors as  MBBS students.
Oh ok. Wonder if it is still practiced by Germans.

Same rigors as MBBS students, really? Do they do anatomy the same way? Are they attached to hospitals? Do they have night or emergency shifts?

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:52 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
FluteHolder wrote:I guess it is a combination of ancient Siddha/ayurvedic  concepts.
You guess wrong. This is good, old-fashioned quackery masquerading as a science. Those sugar pills are just placebo. I suppose many psychosomatic ailments, including auto-immune issues, respond to homeopathic treatment.
Having been in the healthcare industry for decades, I have been extremely skeptical about any allopathic treatment, let alone homeopathy. Yet it was the homeopathy medicine that ultimately helped remedy the corn-like growth between my toes as I mentioned earlier. Does it work in treating cancer, heart attack or other serious ailments? Not sure at all. But I won't dismiss it altogether as a hoax or a placebo.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:58 am

GC if it was a wart, they shrink on their own too. Son had one under his finger nail bed, one doctor was like let's try giving him this antibiotic. I was like I am not giving him meds for 'trial'. Anyway, 1-2 more weeks and it was gone.

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:00 am

Vidya Bagchi wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

Same rigors as MBBS students, really? Do they do anatomy the same way? Are they attached to hospitals? Do they have night or emergency shifts?
Yes and Yes. In fact, in few places, BHMS & MBBS students attend anatomy practical classes together, in other words they are taught the same stuff.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:10 am

Amazing stuff. They take same entrance exams too?

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:10 am

Vidya Bagchi wrote:GC if it was a wart, they shrink on their own too. Son had one under his finger nail bed, one doctor was like let's try giving him this antibiotic. I was like I am not giving him meds for 'trial'. Anyway, 1-2 more weeks and it was gone.
It wasn't a wart. I had cultures taken and went to two different doctors. It started out like athlete's foot fungal infection but got worse. Antibiotics did diddly. It lasted over 4 months and I didn't want to go through a minor surgery because I was told it could grow back. I was amazed that the homeopathy treatment cured it. I haven't had any problem for years now. So there is some merit to it. My mother has arthritis and the only thing that works for her is a special ayurvedic oil she gets from a herbal medical store. And I don't think it is psychosomatic either.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:11 am

confuzzled dude wrote:
Vidya Bagchi wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

Yes and Yes. In fact, in few places, BHMS & MBBS students attend anatomy practical classes together, in other words they are taught the same stuff.
source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeopathy

Homeopathy Listeni/ˌhoʊmiˈɒpəθi/ (also spelled homoeopathy or homœopathy; from the Greek hómoios- ὅμοιος- "like-" + páthos πάθος "suffering") is a system of alternative medicine originated in 1796 by Samuel Hahnemann, based on his doctrine of similia similibus curentur ("like cures like"), according to which a substance that causes the symptoms of a disease in healthy people will cure similar symptoms in sick people.[1] It is widely considered a pseudoscience.[2][3][4][5][6]
Hahnemann believed that the underlying causes of disease were phenomena that he termed miasms, and that homeopathic remedies addressed these. The remedies are prepared by repeatedly diluting a chosen substance in alcohol or distilled water, followed by forceful striking on an elastic body, called succussion.[7] Each dilution followed by succussion is said to increase the remedy's potency. Dilution usually continues well past the point where none of the original substance remains.[8] Homeopaths select remedies by consulting reference books known as repertories, considering the totality of the patient's symptoms as well as the patient's personal traits, physical and psychological state, and life history.[9]
Scientific research has repeatedly found homeopathic remedies ineffective and their postulated mechanisms of action implausible.[10][11][12][13] The scientific community regards homeopathy as a sham;[14] the American Medical Association considers homeopathy to be quackery,[15][16] and homeopathic practice has been criticized as unethical.[17]
The low concentration of homeopathic remedies, which often lack even a single molecule of the diluted substance,[18] has been the basis of questions about the effects of the remedies since the 19th century. Modern advocates of homeopathy have suggested that "water has a memory" – that during mixing and succussion, the substance leaves an enduring effect on the water, perhaps a "vibration", and this produces an effect on the patient. This notion has no scientific support.[19][20] Pharmacological research has found instead that stronger effects of an active ingredient come from higher, not lower doses.
Homeopathic remedies have been the subject of numerous clinical trials. Taken together, these trials showed at best no effect beyond placebo, at worst that homeopathy could be actively harmful.[21] Although some trials produced positive results,[22][23] systematic reviews revealed that this was because of chance, flawed research methods, and reporting bias.[12][24][25][26] The proposed mechanisms for homeopathy are precluded by the laws of physics from having any effect.[27] Patients who choose to use homeopathy rather than evidence-based medicine risk missing timely diagnosis and effective treatment of serious conditions such as cancer.[28][29] The regulation and prevalence of homeopathy vary greatly from country to country.[30]
rofl rofl rofl this is the most HILARIOUS thing i have read in a long time. i'd be safer consulting deepak chopra.

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:22 am

Vidya Bagchi wrote:Amazing stuff. They take same entrance exams too?
Yes.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:04 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Vidya Bagchi wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeopathy

Homeopathy Listeni/ˌhoʊmiˈɒpəθi/ (also spelled homoeopathy or homœopathy; from the Greek hómoios- ὅμοιος- "like-" + páthos πάθος "suffering") is a system of alternative medicine originated in 1796 by Samuel Hahnemann, based on his doctrine of similia similibus curentur ("like cures like"), according to which a substance that causes the symptoms of a disease in healthy people will cure similar symptoms in sick people.[1] It is widely considered a pseudoscience.[2][3][4][5][6]
Hahnemann believed that the underlying causes of disease were phenomena that he termed miasms, and that homeopathic remedies addressed these. The remedies are prepared by repeatedly diluting a chosen substance in alcohol or distilled water, followed by forceful striking on an elastic body, called succussion.[7] Each dilution followed by succussion is said to increase the remedy's potency. Dilution usually continues well past the point where none of the original substance remains.[8] Homeopaths select remedies by consulting reference books known as repertories, considering the totality of the patient's symptoms as well as the patient's personal traits, physical and psychological state, and life history.[9]
Scientific research has repeatedly found homeopathic remedies ineffective and their postulated mechanisms of action implausible.[10][11][12][13] The scientific community regards homeopathy as a sham;[14] the American Medical Association considers homeopathy to be quackery,[15][16] and homeopathic practice has been criticized as unethical.[17]
The low concentration of homeopathic remedies, which often lack even a single molecule of the diluted substance,[18] has been the basis of questions about the effects of the remedies since the 19th century. Modern advocates of homeopathy have suggested that "water has a memory" – that during mixing and succussion, the substance leaves an enduring effect on the water, perhaps a "vibration", and this produces an effect on the patient. This notion has no scientific support.[19][20] Pharmacological research has found instead that stronger effects of an active ingredient come from higher, not lower doses.
Homeopathic remedies have been the subject of numerous clinical trials. Taken together, these trials showed at best no effect beyond placebo, at worst that homeopathy could be actively harmful.[21] Although some trials produced positive results,[22][23] systematic reviews revealed that this was because of chance, flawed research methods, and reporting bias.[12][24][25][26] The proposed mechanisms for homeopathy are precluded by the laws of physics from having any effect.[27] Patients who choose to use homeopathy rather than evidence-based medicine risk missing timely diagnosis and effective treatment of serious conditions such as cancer.[28][29] The regulation and prevalence of homeopathy vary greatly from country to country.[30]
rofl rofl rofl this is the most HILARIOUS thing i have read in a long time. i'd be safer consulting deepak chopra.

deepak chopra went through the same rigors as a regular doctor & wrote entrance exams too. he must be good, dont knock his quackery till you've tried it.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Bittu Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:04 am

There are two types of illnesses or afflictions. One that you will recover from and one that you won't. Homeopathy "works" for problems that will heal on their own. Kid runs a fever. Mom gets him some homeopathic meds. Fever goes away in a few days. Mom is convinced the homeopathic meds took out the fever.

It's amazing how supposedly educated people don't get this.

Bittu

Back to top Go down

Post by smArtha Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:07 pm

Bittu wrote:There are two types of illnesses or afflictions. One that you will recover from and one that you won't. Homeopathy "works" for problems that will heal on their own. Kid runs a fever. Mom gets him some homeopathic meds. Fever goes away in a few days. Mom is convinced the homeopathic meds took out the fever.

It's amazing how supposedly educated people don't get this.
Quoting "goodctzn' from above ..

"It started out like athlete's foot fungal infection but got worse. Antibiotics did diddly. It lasted over 4 months and I didn't want to go through a minor surgery because I was told it could grow back. I was amazed that the homeopathy treatment cured it. I haven't had any problem for years now. So there is some merit to it."

This doesn't seem to fit your 'works for problems that heal themselves category'. How do you explain that? 

Educated or not, never stop believing your own experience. I'm sure you are intelligent enough to trust your experience when it relates to your own hunger or pain and not depend on some FDA sanctioned methods of validating it. We call that common sense. If some people need degrees to acquire/retain that, better luck to them. 

smArtha

Back to top Go down

Post by Bittu Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:24 pm

smArtha wrote:
This doesn't seem to fit your 'works for problems that heal themselves category'. How do you explain that? 
That fungal foot infection was probably a couple of months old and yes, some ailments get worse before they get better. Homeopathic bytches like to exaggerate everything anyway. Why don't people run to homeopathic treatment for serious issues? If you google "homeopathic treatment for serious issues" you'll get hits for menstrual pain and anxiety LOL.

People who believe in homeopathy are the same people who believe in Santa Claus, Bhagwan Osho and Ganesha idols drinking milk.

Bittu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:38 pm

smArtha wrote:It started out like athlete's foot fungal infection but got worse. Antibiotics did diddly. It lasted over 4 months and I didn't want to go through a minor surgery because I was told it could grow back. I was amazed that the homeopathy treatment cured it. I haven't had any problem for years now. So there is some merit to it."
oh come on. all this proves is that this incident forged a causal relationship in GC's mind. this is all anecdotal. say i get a heart attack and i pop a homeo pill and it resolves -- that does not affirmatively prove that the homeo pill resolved it. all studies on large population (ref. wikipedia) have shown that homeopathic meds., at the best, have a placebo effect, and, at the worst, might be harmful. you don't want a diabetic popping scores of these pills everyday. GC is happy continuing to pop these pills for he knows they do him no harm AND he has no interest in REALLY studying IF the homeo meds cured it because it is history, past, and inconsequential today... until, wham, he gets another fungal infection and it doesn't heal with homeos. What a Face

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:12 pm

The human body is very complex, and there is much that is not yet known about its workings. So there is a lot uncertainty when it comes to matters of health. And matters of health rank high in importance to people. When you have a high level of uncertainty of outcome, and a high degree of importance of the outcome, it is human nature to crave the illusion of control. We feel better when we think we are doing something that can make a difference to the outcome, than when we stand helplessly by. This, for instance, is the reason sports fans have their superstitions about what to wear, eat, and say when their favorite team is playing. 

When someone has a health problem without a clear cause and a clear remedy, people tend to turn to anything that makes them feel that it might improve things. Homeopathy IMO is one of those things. In an earlier, less sophisticated time, going to the village temple, offering a sacrifice, or getting the shaman to perform an elaborate ritual to expel the bad spirit causing the fever, provided the same illusion of control. In these times, people crave a theory of change that goes with the intervention: homeopathy, with its pseudo-scientific theories offers people the illusion of a scientifically sound remedy that might help them after all. 

Like CB, I think homeopathy is good for people who believe it works. It is better than feeling helpless that there is nothing that can solve their problem. For those of us who don't believe it works, it is not effective. Most science-based medicines do not come with that caveat: you don't have to believe in paracetamol for it to reduce the symptoms of a fever, and you don't have to believe in antibiotics for it to cure a bacterial infection. Their efficacy is established using double-blind trials in which neither the individuals in the experimental group, nor their physicians, know whether they are getting the drug or a sugar pill. This distinction is obscured when homeopathy is treated as a legitimate medical discipline. IMO, other schools of traditional medicine, like Ayurveda, have a stronger claim as a scientifically sound medical discipline, and some of the remedies used in those systems are more likely to prove their efficacy in a double-blind test.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:16 pm

Idéfix wrote: IMO, other schools of traditional medicine, like Ayurveda, have a stronger claim as a scientifically sound medical discipline, and some of the remedies used in those systems are more likely to prove their efficacy in a double-blind test.
true.

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:31 pm

Idéfix wrote:The human body is very complex, and there is much that is not yet known about its workings. So there is a lot uncertainty when it comes to matters of health. And matters of health rank high in importance to people. When you have a high level of uncertainty of outcome, and a high degree of importance of the outcome, it is human nature to crave the illusion of control. We feel better when we think we are doing something that can make a difference to the outcome, than when we stand helplessly by. This, for instance, is the reason sports fans have their superstitions about what to wear, eat, and say when their favorite team is playing. 

When someone has a health problem without a clear cause and a clear remedy, people tend to turn to anything that makes them feel that it might improve things. Homeopathy IMO is one of those things. In an earlier, less sophisticated time, going to the village temple, offering a sacrifice, or getting the shaman to perform an elaborate ritual to expel the bad spirit causing the fever, provided the same illusion of control. In these times, people crave a theory of change that goes with the intervention: homeopathy, with its pseudo-scientific theories offers people the illusion of a scientifically sound remedy that might help them after all. 

Like CB, I think homeopathy is good for people who believe it works. It is better than feeling helpless that there is nothing that can solve their problem. For those of us who don't believe it works, it is not effective. Most science-based medicines do not come with that caveat: you don't have to believe in paracetamol for it to reduce the symptoms of a fever, and you don't have to believe in antibiotics for it to cure a bacterial infection. Their efficacy is established using double-blind trials in which neither the individuals in the experimental group, nor their physicians, know whether they are getting the drug or a sugar pill. This distinction is obscured when homeopathy is treated as a legitimate medical discipline. IMO, other schools of traditional medicine, like Ayurveda, have a stronger claim as a scientifically sound medical discipline, and some of the remedies used in those systems are more likely to prove their efficacy in a double-blind test.
I would like to believe your theory but I can't imagine several 1000s of folks found relief from joint pains caused by Chickungunya(sp?) fever. They very same argument can be made about allopathic medicine as well, that paracetamol is curing jack, is only providing temporary relief, your immune system is what doing the actual work/cure. More importantly, nobody is suggesting this is replacement for modern medicine, it could be effective in some cases that's precisely what GC was alluding to and I wouldn't dismiss GC as a nutcase Smile

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:33 pm

goodcitizn wrote:
FluteHolder wrote:This reminds me of a quote by a Famous astrologer who doesnot take a dime for his consultations. We donot bash/blame Civil Engineering filed/study/science for collapse of bridges/buildings. We would/should blame the engineers who built them for wrong design/construction etc.

My grandfather used to give homeopathy medicines to villagers in Madanapalli. They used to come regularly even though he was a civil engineer by profession and studied homeopathy as a hobby.

Back in 1992, I contracted what seemed like athlete's foot from the gym. Soon the gap between my left big toe and the one adjacent was beginning to develop a corn-like growth causing me great discomfort while walking. I went to two different doctors here and the damn growth wouldn't subside. Surgery was recommended and, rats, I didn't want that. Coincidentally I had to visit India the following week. It was sheer torture having to wobble around with my sore foot. Once I got there, my uncle took me to a local homeopathy doctor. I didn't want to go but he was persuasive. And this doctor gave me a small jar containing little white pills asking me to take 3 at a time 3 times a day for a week. I had no faith but I tried nevertheless. To my amazement the growth began to subside. Within a week there was no trace of it. And I could walk with my shoes on with no pain whatsoever. The old adage, "Don't knock it unless you tried it", is absolutely true.
My father used to give medicines to the villagers (for free, of course). One evening a farmer came in distress and explained that his wife was stung by a scorpion and was in deep pain. My father quickly gave him some medicine and advised that the medicine has to be taken every X minutes for X number of times and if it didn't improve her condition in X min after the fist dose, he should come back for further advice.

The fellow grabbed the medicine and ran to his home. After X min, he came back complaining that the medicine didn't do anything. My father asked him whether he followed the directions. He replied that he took the medicine exactly as advised. He thought that if he took the medicine himself, that would cure his Ardhaangi! Well, his sophisticated philosophy didn't work on his simpleton wife.

Here was another episode that happened to him. He wanted to write a letter to his relative in another village. He took an "inland letter" to a student, the pride of his community, and asked him to write for him. The fellow wrote the text and filled the outside Addressee and Sender information. A few days later, the scorpion-medicine philosopher receives a letter. Amazed at the speed at which the Indian postal system works, he asked me to read the letter. It turns out that he got his own letter back. The pride of his community wrote the addresses in the wrong places.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:37 pm

Idéfix wrote:The human body is very complex, and there is much that is not yet known about its workings. So there is a lot uncertainty when it comes to matters of health. And matters of health rank high in importance to people. When you have a high level of uncertainty of outcome, and a high degree of importance of the outcome, it is human nature to crave the illusion of control. We feel better when we think we are doing something that can make a difference to the outcome, than when we stand helplessly by. This, for instance, is the reason sports fans have their superstitions about what to wear, eat, and say when their favorite team is playing. 

Wonderful! Confucius lived vigorously for a few thousand years swallowing ginseng and panda bear balls! hmm.....

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:42 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:I would like to believe your theory but I can't imagine several 1000s of folks found relief from joint pains caused by Chickungunya(sp?) fever.
There are two possibilities here: (a) the joint pains tend to go away through natural causes after a few days in a subset of people, and (b) the particular homeopathic remedy is effective at curing those joint pains and will prove effective in a double-blind clinical trial. Neither of those possibilities proves that homeopathy is a scientific discipline.

confuzzled dude wrote:They very same argument can be made about allopathic medicine as well, that paracetamol is curing jack, is only providing temporary relief, your immune system is what doing the actual work/cure.
That is why studies won't claim that paracetamol by itself is curing something; it is proven to relieve symptoms and that proven efficacy is what is being claimed.

confuzzled dude wrote:More importantly, nobody is suggesting this is replacement for modern medicine, it could be effective in some cases that's precisely what GC was alluding to and I wouldn't dismiss GC as a nutcase Smile
I am not dismissing anyone as a nutcase. I don't understand Bittu's intolerance either. But the distinction between degree of proof of efficacy is a real one, and homeopaths and their advocates tend to blur that important distinction.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:44 pm

ayurveda and siddha medicine should not be put in the same category as homeopathy. there is a great deal of empirical soundness to ayurveda as well as siddha medicine which cannot be said of homeopathy.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:49 pm

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:Wonderful! Confucius lived vigorously for a few thousand years swallowing ginseng and panda bear balls! hmm.....
IMO, the difference between traditional herbal medicine (ginseng, turmeric, neem, etc.) and homeopathy is this. In herbal medicine, you take significant quantities of a substance that had an observed correlation with good outcomes in the past. In homeopathy, you take a sugar pill that is known to contain none of the substance that you think cures what ails you. It is easy to see that turmeric, neem, or ginseng might help alleviate some problems, but it is hard to see how "the water remembers what was in it" before it was too diluted to contain much of the active ingredient in any pill.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Bittu Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:49 pm

Idefix, nice write-up but all said and done, homeopathy is nothing but a placebo. You also can't convince me that there is a god.

As the man of the house, if I find these sugary pills anywhere, I throw them right away. This pisses off my follow-the-herd wife and I'd rather deal with her pissedoffness than just give in and let those sugar pills be. I know my MIL gets super enraged when she finds out I've thrown her precious meds. She can't get enraged *at* me though, so I guess she bottles it all in. That's good too because one day I hope all that bottled up rage causes sudden implosion of all her internal organs, so that she can finally meet her lords krishna and shiva.

Bittu

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:52 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:ayurveda and siddha medicine should not be put in the same category as homeopathy. there is a great deal of empirical soundness to ayurveda as well as siddha medicine which cannot be said of homeopathy.
I agree.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:57 pm

Idéfix wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:ayurveda and siddha medicine should not be put in the same category as homeopathy. there is a great deal of empirical soundness to ayurveda as well as siddha medicine which cannot be said of homeopathy.
I agree.
what's odd is that the very methodical and scientific germans are credited with creating homeopathy.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:02 pm

Bittu wrote:Idefix, nice write-up but all said and done, homeopathy is nothing but a placebo. You also can't convince me that there is a god.

As the man of the house, if I find these sugary pills anywhere, I throw them right away. This pisses off my follow-the-herd wife and I'd rather deal with her pissedoffness than just give in and let those sugar pills be. I know my MIL gets super enraged when she finds out I've thrown her precious meds. She can't get enraged *at* me though, so I guess she bottles it all in. That's good too because one day I hope all that bottled up rage causes sudden implosion of all her internal organs, so that she can finally meet her lords krishna and shiva.
Hahaha. I won't try to convince you that there is a god. There isn't.

My attitude to homeopathy is a little more tolerant. I won't try to convince my wife to not take them. She is an adult and can decide for herself. She is not a big believer in them, and turns to them rarely anyway after she has tried regular medicine. But her parents are big-time believers in homeopathy, and tend to resort to homeopathy as the first line of defense, and when that fails (as it often does) go see a doctor. I may be wrong, but I think homeopathy is big among Bengalis. They have an old dogeared copy of a book called Materia Medica in their home. It contains a long list of substances and their claimed medical uses. I tried to read it once. I was struck by the similarity of its approach to the traditional Indian approach to rote learning. Perhaps that is why the system took root in India.

I draw the line when it comes to me: I won't have that nonsense.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:08 pm

Perhaps the non-existing God with a non-working homeopathy medication cured my foot problem.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:11 pm

goodcitizn wrote:Perhaps the non-existing God with a non-working homeopathy medication cured my foot problem.
Or you cured yourself. This interpretation has the added benefit of being aligned with the highest concepts of Indian philosophy, expressed in statements like "I am Brahman!" Smile
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:14 pm

Idéfix wrote:
Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:Wonderful! Confucius lived vigorously for a few thousand years swallowing ginseng and panda bear balls! hmm.....
IMO, the difference between traditional herbal medicine (ginseng, turmeric, neem, etc.) and homeopathy is this. In herbal medicine, you take significant quantities of a substance that had an observed correlation with good outcomes in the past. In homeopathy, you take a sugar pill that is known to contain none of the substance that you think cures what ails you. It is easy to see that turmeric, neem, or ginseng might help alleviate some problems, but it is hard to see how "the water remembers what was in it" before it was too diluted to contain much of the active ingredient in any pill.
 True. Ginseng, turmeric and neem, aswagandha, etc., are now found to have chemicals that are therapeutically useful. But the claims in the old Chinese (and Indian) writings of people living for thousands of years and the magical herbs curing all sorts of ailments were an exaggeration.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:16 pm

my familiarity with ayurveda is when my father got very seriously sick with hep-b (probably because of his work as an anesthesiologist). leading gastroenterologists in TN told us he only had days or maybe months to live. we consulted an ayurvedist who recommended we treat him with a plant called kIzhAnelli (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phyllanthus_niruri).   i would go foraging in the hills and woods surrounding where we lived every single day to look for this plant. my mom would grind it into a pulp which he would ingest. he told us it tasted disgusting, but he recovered rather dramatically and completely after we started him on it.

i still have occasional dreams of wandering around looking for this plant. i'll never forget those distinctive green beads at the bottom of the compound leaves.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:21 pm

I too think ayurveda/herbs work in most cases, even when allopathy fails. Saw a villager type banda cure a newborn, relative of our nanny, of liver enlargement when the children's hospital sent them back home saying it's terminal, matter of a few days. Maybe the doctors erred there. dunno. Anyway, that's when our other help got this guy, who would put something hot on a big leaf, and press it tight on the baby's tummy everyday. She would yell and cry through it, but they let her do it coz it really was a choice between this and death... eventually it was cured. God knows what it was, if the herbs worked, if it was properly diagnosed in the first place or not, if it was to be cured on its own, whatever it was, the girl went back home healthy. Her 3 year old brother had open tear duct problem, i think this guy resolved that too. Did we call him for anything else later? No.

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:25 pm

Idéfix wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:Perhaps the non-existing God with a non-working homeopathy medication cured my foot problem.
Or you cured yourself. This interpretation has the added benefit of being aligned with the highest concepts of Indian philosophy, expressed in statements like "I am Brahman!" Smile
There is a proverb in Tamil: "Kaakkai utkaara panam pazham vizhundhadhu", i.e. "Just as the crow sat, the palm fruit fell" meaning that the palm fruit would have fallen anyway but the crow just happened to sit on the palm tree at that very moment.

It is possible that my body cured itself and the homeopathy pills went into my system just at the right time when it happened. Whatever it is, I am happy to be footloose and fancy free.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Bittu Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:25 pm

Idéfix wrote:
My attitude to homeopathy is a little more tolerant.
I used to be tolerant too but as the years go by, my level of tolerance keeps receding. I'm wondering if I'm going to turn into that classic cranky old man sitting by himself in the corner because he's forever bugged about something or the other. Why am I becoming so intolerant? Should I do something to curb this intolerance?

If I run into those sugar pills somewhere in the house, the "right" thing to do is to merely ignore them and go about my way. I CAN do that but don't WANT to do that. I want to throw them. My MIL leaves for India in a couple of weeks. That's when I usually go on a recce around the house, pulling out all kinds of crap that she stuffs into random corners and crevices. Plastic bags, old toys, clothes, little satchels of useless gunk. And vials of homeopathic meds.

Perhaps I should start drinking again. Because peene ke baad you think bhenchod maa chudao sab log who gives a shyt, CHEEYAARSSSS FUCKERS!

Bittu

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:28 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Idéfix wrote:
I agree.
what's odd is that the very methodical and scientific germans are credited with creating homeopathy.
Yeah, Hahnemann came up with his system when very little was known about the workings of the human body. It was more than half a century before the germ theory of disease and Gray's anatomy textbook.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:30 pm

btw, the neti pot of which i am a huge fan in winter, came out of ayurvedic medicine.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:31 pm

Bittu wrote:
Idéfix wrote:
My attitude to homeopathy is a little more tolerant.
I used to be tolerant too but as the years go by, my level of tolerance keeps receding. I'm wondering if I'm going to turn into that classic cranky old man sitting by himself in the corner because he's forever bugged about something or the other. Why am I becoming so intolerant? Should I do something to curb this intolerance?
yes and the answer is poop. poop more, poop often and then when you cant poop anymore, poop some more. read books on it, prepare for it daily like an athlete while playing "eye of the tiger" on the stereo and you go give that toilet bowl hell, soldier! semper fi

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:43 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:btw, the neti pot of which i am a huge fan in winter, came out of ayurvedic medicine.
I used to suffer from chronic allergies in Indian cities, because of the polluted air. I was fine after I moved here, but this spring the allergies came back. Perhaps it was my doing yard work for the first time, or perhaps it took my immune system a few years to ratchet up to a level where it reacts to even the lower level of irritants found here compared to India. Whatever it was, I needed antihistamines to get through the day for the first time in years. I hate those antihistamines because they make me drowsy and feel tired even after a full night's sleep, apart from messing with my digestion. I finally heeded my wife's advise and tried neti. I am really happy with the results. I still have the occasional bout of allergies, but I haven't popped antihistamines after the first few days of neti.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum