Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

American Exceptionalism?

2 posters

Go down

American Exceptionalism? Empty American Exceptionalism?

Post by Rishi Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:24 pm

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/09/16/20526061-russian-official-blames-dc-shooting-on-american-exceptionalism#comments

fyte 4 justice

Although I can't agree with Pushkov's premise that random shootings make us exceptional, I have to argue that we are not exceptional. As a country and a people we are subject to as many flaws as any one else living on this planet. An accident of birth does not make us exceptional. Any person, or politician who believes that Americans are exceptional is dangerously delusional. We are privileged, pampered, proud, and arrogant but hardly exceptional. We suffer from hypocrisy, ignorance, greed, stupidity, and an inflated sense of self importance just as much as any other group of human beings.

I believe we should stop proclaiming to the rest of the world that we are exceptional, and start behaving as members of a team of nations dedicated to principles of humanity, compassion, charity, and common sense.

5 votes

#1.16 - Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:28 PM EDT

Rishi

Back to top Go down

American Exceptionalism? Empty Re: American Exceptionalism?

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:31 pm

for whatever reason russians have decided that needling anericans is their new hobby.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down