Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bwahaha...spoilt bride-to-be gets a lecture

4 posters

Go down

Bwahaha...spoilt bride-to-be gets a lecture Empty Bwahaha...spoilt bride-to-be gets a lecture

Post by Merlot Daruwala Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:01 am

Mum-in-law-to-be Carolyn Bourne, pulled up bride-to-be Heidi Withers for “uncouthness” and “lack of manners” over email which quickly went viral.

Son Freddie took Heidi to meet the family at their home in Dawlish, Devon. The visit, it seems, did not go well.

Bourne branded her “an ideal candidate for the ‘Ladette to Lady’ television series” and suggested she, “take some guidance from experts with utmost haste” if she wanted to be included in the family.

“There are plenty of finishing schools around,” she said.

Bourne’s email then goes on to list examples of Wither’s poor etiquette during the visit. “It is high time someone explained to you about good manners. Yours are obvious by their absence and I feel sorry for you.”

[See also: What to do if your partner's a mummy's boy]

Her faux pas included:
“When you are a guest in another’s house, you do not declare what you will and will not eat - unless you are positively allergic to something. You do not remark that you do not have enough food. You do not start before everyone else. You do not take additional helpings without being invited to by your host.”

“When a guest in another’s house, you do not lie in bed until late morning in households that rise early - you fall in line with house norms.”

“You should never ever insult the family you are about to join at any time and most definitely not in public. I gather you passed this off as a joke but the reaction in the pub was one of shock, not laughter.”

“You should have hand-written a card to me. You have never written to thank me when you have stayed.”

“You regularly draw attention to yourself. Perhaps you should ask yourself why.”
Most insultingly of all, Miss Wither’s behavior left their pet dog Bomber “profoundly upset, depressed and anxious”.

Mrs. Bourne also slammed the couple’s wedding plans: “No one gets married in a castle unless they own it. It is brash, celebrity style behaviour.”

“I understand your parents are unable to contribute very much towards the cost of your wedding. (There is nothing wrong with that except that convention is such that one might presume they would have saved over the years for their daughters’ marriages.) If this is the case, it would be most ladylike and gracious to lower your sights and have a modest wedding as befits both your incomes.”

Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Bwahaha...spoilt bride-to-be gets a lecture Empty Re: Bwahaha...spoilt bride-to-be gets a lecture

Post by SomeProfile Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:11 am

Seven would be totally at home in the comments section of Yahoo news.

SomeProfile

Back to top Go down

Bwahaha...spoilt bride-to-be gets a lecture Empty Re: Bwahaha...spoilt bride-to-be gets a lecture

Post by Another Brick Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:40 am

“You should have hand-written a card to me. You have never written to thank me when you have stayed.”

sounds like benign behna.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:57 am

the mother-in-law is right. for the most part at least. we recently had a rather unpleasant experience with houseguests

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:10 pm

According to The Daily Mail, Carolyn Bourne is well known in Dawlish for
growing prize-winning flowers and manages a large plant nursery.

For some reasons, she (the m-i-l) reminds me of Mrs. Hyacinth Bucket (pronounced bouquet) of Keeping up Appearances.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:11 pm

if sm1 is visiting my house, I don't get offended if they don't rise early. i try to make them as comfortable as I can.

something is seriously wrong with this M in L. she says u shouldn't insult the family u r about to join and then she goes on to insult bride's parents by saying they didn't save for their daughter's wedding!

she cud really use an etiquette class herself. pointing out to-be-dil's mistakes is one thing but she cud ve done it in a much better way.

and SP watever u mean by that 8-|

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:16 pm

and like this other poster pointed out, maybe ( just maybe) Heidi is diabetic and that's why telling wat she can eat n wat not.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down