Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

the best dining in new york

4 posters

Go down

the best dining in new york Empty the best dining in new york

Post by pravalika nanda Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:13 pm

http://www.businessinsider.com/best-nyc-restaurants-by-cuisine-2013-10#american-per-se-1

** notice that a lot of the best dining is in queens and brooklyn. in terms of indina food, my favorite spots are madras mahal and the flushing temple canteen. i always pack two tubs of sambar to take home from dosa hutt. queens is also great for bubble tea. when i visit my cousin, she takes me to some back alley where the first bubble tea shop opened decades ago and we have taro bubble tea. fortunately both of us have outgrown it.  i also like curry in a hurry, that's in manhattan.

** pizza: I prefer the hole in the wall pizza joints where a slice costs about 2-5 bucks. you can never go wrong with those, always the same familiar flavors and very satisfying. coffee is always starbucks.

** for all other food, i generally go to park slope. they have organic juice stores at every corner. also, they have excellent Italian cuisine. love buccatini at fornino's, that place may have closed. but there is a fornino in manhattan as well.

** i like thai food in long island but overall thai is not a cuisine i enjoy, too oily and sweet. the best bakeries are all along the lirr stops, beautiful stuff: fruit tarts, strawberry shortcake, caramel custards, napoleons, black forest, etc. I've outgrown tiramisu.  in a twist on greek pastries, I've seen baklava with custard filling and melopita with ice cream.  only the French make good macaroons, and i know an excellent place that does it right next to my apt. however, i think le pain quotidian is severely over-rated and over-priced, it's mediocre by ny standards. the Syrians and the lebanese make sesame half-moons that i relish.

** this is not in new York but i don't know of any other place that makes faloodas. i like the rose falooda with vermicelli, basil seeds, and taro in Edison. been there just once, can't remember the name of the place off-hand.

** in all, i love visiting new york, you can't ever go wrong with dining in nyc. i can't say anything about the Chinese or Mexican fare though, not familiar with those. Had dim sum somewhere along N Michigan years ago and it was nice.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

the best dining in new york Empty Re: the best dining in new york

Post by Kris Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:14 am

** pizza: I prefer the hole in the wall pizza joints where a slice costs about 2-5 bucks. you can never go wrong with those, always the same familiar flavors and very satisfying.

>>>>Me too. Also, used to like the hot dog from street vendors, although it has been years since I have been brave enough on this front.

excellent Italian cuisine.

>>> Was at one in the village which was very decent  a few years ago but on the latest trip, tried one in Soho and found out it didn't live up to the hype. Can't remember the name now. 

** this is not in new York but i don't know of any other place that makes faloodas. i like the rose falooda with vermicelli, basil seeds, and taro in Edison. been there just once, can't remember the name of the place off-hand.

>>> I remember one in Edison where they had great faloodas but that was 10 years ago. I also got to taste the fare at the temple at a wedding recently. I can see why it is popular.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:40 am

pravalika nanda wrote:** this is not in new York but i don't know of any other place that makes faloodas. i like the rose falooda with vermicelli, basil seeds, and taro in Edison. been there just once, can't remember the name of the place off-hand.
the best dining in new york 292
I get these falooda mixes from the local supermarket and keep them for whenever I have the craving. It's not as good as say, Badshah's (@ Crawford Mkt in Mbai), but sure comes close. I'm sure desi stores in the US stock them as well.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:02 pm

the best dining in new york 12%20pcs%20Macaron%20boxes

the best dining in new york _NSP0267-2

Breakfast!

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content