Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What was wrong with the "No Muslims" ad?

+10
namo
southindian
truthbetold
Mauni
Kris
MaxEntropy_Man
rawemotions
confuzzled dude
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
Rishi
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

What was wrong with the "No Muslims" ad? - Page 2 Empty Re: What was wrong with the "No Muslims" ad?

Post by truthbetold Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:38 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
rawemotions wrote:The young mind is the most malleable, and their earliest opinions are formed in Madrassas. This is where the indoctrination happens, and none of this is regulated.
where in your opinion did the indoctrination of the minds that tore down the babri masjid happen?
The PiSS group have talked about a 1000 times on the demolition of a Babri Masjid, and if only they had recognized and acknowledged the destruction of a 1000 temples just a mere 100 times, your beloved barbari masjid might have still existed.
the only group of people to have destroyed a place of worship in free modern india are hindus.
Max,
Hindus did no such thing. Where is your proof?

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

What was wrong with the "No Muslims" ad? - Page 2 Empty Re: What was wrong with the "No Muslims" ad?

Post by goodcitizn Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:08 am

What if an apartment ad quotes ..."No North Indians Please"? How would that sit in this forum? Does the owner of the property have the right to place such an ad?

Rishi's concern can be addressed with an ad that says "vegetarians only". Why bring religion into it?

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:24 am

If its a private property, then there's nothing wrong in "No Muslim" ad.
There are apartment complexes in US for tenants with "No Children".

GC, "No North Indians Please" is perfectly fine, if they don't want North Indians.

"Vegetarians only" is fine too.

As long as its a private property, the owners can exclude/include anybody they want.

I have no problems with anyone, if they don't want me "in their house". Smile
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:27 am

southindian wrote:If its a private property, then there's nothing wrong in "No Muslim" ad.

GC, "No North Indians Please" is perfectly fine, if they don't want North Indians.

As long as its a private property, the owners can exclude/include anybody they want.

I thought we were discussing India. In any event, a "No Muslims" ad would be a huge legal issue in the U.S. if one were to be placed by a property owner.

P.S. What's with the signature? As usual, your signatures are always confusing.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:38 am

goodcitizn wrote:
southindian wrote:If its a private property, then there's nothing wrong in "No Muslim" ad.

I thought we were discussing India. In any event, a "No Muslims" ad would be a huge legal issue in the U.S. if one were to be placed by a property owner.

P.S. What's with the signature? As usual, your signatures are always confusing.
welcome back GC ! all well at home, i trust ...

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:46 am

garam_kuta wrote:
welcome back GC ! all well at home, i trust ...
Went vacationing in Europe. Nice to be back in Chicago. Naai innum sooda irukka?

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:04 am

goodcitizn wrote:What if an apartment ad quotes ..."No North Indians Please"? How would that sit in this forum? Does the owner of the property have the right to place such an ad?

Rishi's concern can be addressed with an ad that says "vegetarians only". Why bring religion into it?
>>>> Not really.

We did not care whether our tenant was a vegetarian or not. We had Tamil Christians, Anglo Indians , Punjabis, Keralites and Tamil Non-Brahmins as well. Btw one of the worst tenants was a Tamil brahmin family.  Did not pay rent for a long time. Would not move even when we had some guys come and removed the front door. Finally we found one rough looking and well built guy come and talk to them.  The next day the family vanished. Actually that man was one of the gentlest souls. But he had this tough exterior that scared the wits out of people.

Cooking and eating non-vegtarain food is fine. But slaughtering a goat with blood splashing around and the animal writhing in pain is a no-no.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:15 am

GC, discrimination in housing is also practiced the US, but very subtly.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:34 am

Rishi wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:What if an apartment ad quotes ..."No North Indians Please"? How would that sit in this forum? Does the owner of the property have the right to place such an ad?

>>>> Not really.

We did not care whether our tenant was a vegetarian or not. We had Tamil Christians, Anglo Indians , Punjabis, Keralites and Tamil Non-Brahmins as well. Btw one of the worst tenants was a Tamil brahmin family.  Did not pay rent for a long time. Would not move even when we had some guys come and removed the front door. Finally we found one rough looking and well built guy come and talk to them.  The next day the family vanished. Actually that man was one of the gentlest souls. But he had this tough exterior that scared the wits out of people.

Cooking and eating non-vegtarain food is fine. But slaughtering a goat with blood splashing around and the animal writhing in pain is a no-no.
I don't buy into your argument. Beheading of goats is not confined only to muslims. During Amman thiruvizha in TN villages, goats are beheaded in public as kadaa bali. If your objection is to beheading in your premises, you can post a sign that says, "Butchering animals in the premises is a violation to tenancy in this property. Violators will be evicted." That would include Christians as well who rear turkeys for slaughter during Christmas. Singling out muslims is prejudicial.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:34 am

truthbetold wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:the only group of people to have destroyed a place of worship in free modern india are hindus.
Max,
A small group of people demolished Babri Masjid. Hence all the hindus are responsible for it.

(When a FEW muslims bomb and kill people, you cannot blame all muslims, bcz the killers are not true muslims and if they are a small misguided individuals).

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:37 am

truthbetold wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:the only group of people to have destroyed a place of worship in free modern india are hindus.
Max,
A small group of people demolished Babri Masjid. Hence all the hindus are responsible for it.

(When a FEW muslims bomb and kill people, you cannot blame all muslims, bcz the killers are not true muslims and if they are  a small misguided individuals).
The poor Germans. They were burdened with collective guilt.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:39 am

Hellsangel wrote:GC, discrimination in housing is also practiced the US, but very subtly.
Discrimination is practiced in the U.S. not only in housing but in various other areas as well including hiring ... yes, very subtley.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:43 am

goodcitizn wrote:
Rishi wrote:

>>>> Not really.

I don't buy into your argument. Beheading of goats is not confined only to muslims. During Amman thiruvizha in TN villages, goats are beheaded in public as kadaa bali. If your objection is to beheading in your premises, you can post a sign that says, "Butchering animals in the premises is a violation to tenancy in this property. Violators will be evicted." That would include Christians as well who rear turkeys for slaughter during Christmas. Singling out muslims is prejudicial.
The problem in India is that it is very difficult to evict tenants. People prefer prevention to cure and that results in 'discrimination' against who they *won't* rent property out to.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:53 am

Hellsangel wrote:
The problem in India is that it is very difficult to evict tenants. People prefer prevention to cure and that results in 'discrimination' against who they *won't* rent property out to.
Good point. There are other ways of weeding out potential tenants ... subtley of course.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:01 am

goodcitizn wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
Good point. There are other ways of weeding out potential tenants ... subtley of course.
Why being subtle? If it is not against the law, just be blunt and honest. A group of returning muslims from middle east bought land and built a posh housing colony - ONLY muslims were sold plots and houses.

Hey if they can do it and the govt looks the other way, then why blame hindus if they did the same..

Oh wait...India is not a country with uniform laws....for everyone.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:43 am

goodcitizn wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
Why being subtle?  If it is not against the law, just be blunt and honest. A group of returning muslims from middle east bought land and built a posh housing colony - ONLY muslims were sold plots and houses.

Hey if they can do it and the govt looks the other way, then why blame hindus if they did the same..

Oh wait...India is not a country with uniform laws....for everyone.
There are different issues here. I don't support India having separate laws for muslims. It goes against the grain of a secular country. Yet I don't support discrimination based on religion.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:57 am

goodcitizn wrote:There are different issues here. I don't support India having separate laws for muslims. It goes against the grain of a secular country. Yet I don't support discrimination based on religion.
Yes..you don't and believe me - I don't either. But, the muslims - overwhelmingly do. Our views and philosophies change as per our life experiences. So either it is all uniform and one law for all or everyone will have to practice their separate laws.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:11 pm

goodcitizn wrote:... Naai innum sooda irukka?
surely, sugamAna soodu Cool

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:32 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
Rishi wrote:

>>>> Not really.

this is very true. the rent control acts of the states here are archaic and are totally in the favour of the tenants. this make renting out of a property a proposition fraught with the risk of losing possession of the asset permanently. i spent 7 years of my childhood in a flat for which my parents paid rs 500 as monthly rent. my employee used to stay in the flat till a few years ago and i continued to pay rs 500 per month (not to the landlord but to the rent control office for the successors of the landlord, spread over the globe, failed to produce a succession certificate to us tenants of that building -- the successors were just not interested in the asset). my brother "sold" the flat a few years ago for rs 20 lacs. in the last decade, "leave and license" has emerged as the panacea for renting out of properties (without risk of the agreement being treated under the rent control act by courts) and it has led to malls and complexes being rapidly rented out. BUT not enough litigation has occurred. it just needs one supreme court ruling to classify these agreements as in the nature of tenancy. as long as the rent control acts are not overhauled, no agreement is free of risks.

so, yes, one needs to be very discriminating when renting out property and since the law is not in your favour here, only vastu shastra, superstition, astrology or prejudice, borne out of personal experiences, can help you (if at all). in my case, i would never rent out property to a marwari (unless he represented a reputed corporate). i've had a few bad experiences with marwaris. ya, some of my best friends are marwaris but i would still not rent out a property to any of them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:33 pm

>>> What about a Muslim landlord who does not want to rent out his house to Dalits, Christians, Anglo Indians and parsis because they cook and eat pork at home? And that is haram for Muslims.

And worser situation could be: A Muslim owns a a house with a backyard. He ends up with a Dalit or an Anglo indian tenant and they raise pigs there and slaughter them later.

Does a Muslim have a right to not rent out his house to these types of people?

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:48 pm

Brigadier HK (Retd) wrote:
so, yes, one needs to be very discriminating when renting out property and since the law is not in your favour here, only vastu shastra, superstition, astrology or prejudice, borne out of personal experiences, can help you (if at all). in my case, i would never rent out property to a marwari (unless he represented a reputed corporate). i've had a few bad experiences with marwaris. ya, some of my best friends are marwaris but i would still not rent out a property to any of them.
Let me add to that...

It is risky to rent it out to anyone who has a group backing. Muslims tend to be together. So a muslim tenent will not leave unless you rent it out to another muslim he recommends. If you fight, he will drag his entire Ummah and worse can file a complaint that you made anti-religious comments - he will swear in the name of Allah that you did. YOU LOSE BIG TIME. Same goes for goundars, naickers, or other groups - but at least you dont have the added HA of religion. When I rented out my house last time, I rented out all but one room (on paper) and left my locked godrej in one of the rooms - technically occupied by me. My "imagination" was I could always simply move in and live with them if they refused to vacate. I also gave it to a guy in an insurance company. He turned out to be nice, deposited the rent every month and left when he transferred after 3 years.

The next tenant is an old couple that pays 1/10th the prevailing rent for the house for the last 15 years - there is NOTHING I could do bcz they are my in-laws.. But, I might have to rent it out in 1 or 2 years as they are planning on going to assisted living. So need to update on the renting out tricks.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:01 pm

Let me add to that...

It is risky to rent it out to anyone who has a group backing. Muslims tend to be together. So a muslim tenent will not leave unless you rent it out to another muslim he recommends. If you fight, he will drag his entire Ummah and worse can file a complaint that you made anti-religious comments - he will swear in the name of Allah that you did. YOU LOSE BIG TIME.  Same goes for goundars, naickers, or other groups - but at least you dont have the added HA of religion. When I rented out my house last time, I rented out all but one room (on paper) and left my locked godrej in one of the rooms - technically occupied by me. My "imagination" was I could always simply move in and live with them if they refused to vacate. I also gave it to a guy in an insurance company. He turned out to be nice, deposited the rent every month and left when he transferred after 3 years.

The next tenant is an old couple that pays 1/10th the prevailing rent for the house for the last 15 years - there is NOTHING I could do bcz they are my in-laws..  But, I might have to rent it out in 1 or 2 years as they are planning on going to assisted living. So need to update on the renting out tricks.
>>>Rent it to corporates, if you can. This has always been my preference, where your tenant is the company who in turn has an employee occupy the place. Even from the admittedly superficial knowledge I have of the Indian rental market, I can see HK's POV. There are all kinds of games played and kicking a tenant out is  not that easy. In one of the cases where I had a direct tenant (non corporate arrangement), the guy fell behind on his rent quite a bit. The guy incidentally was a muslim, but there was no religious issue, just financial. I had to get the services of a lawyer to get the guy out, but I ended up losing about 6 months rent and the rent was about 1/3rd of the going rate at the time he left.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:21 pm

Kris wrote:
Let me add to that...

It is risky to rent it out to anyone who has a group backing. Muslims tend to be together. So a muslim tenent will not leave unless you rent it out to another muslim he recommends. If you fight, he will drag his entire Ummah and worse can file a complaint that you made anti-religious comments - he will swear in the name of Allah that you did. YOU LOSE BIG TIME.  Same goes for goundars, naickers, or other groups - but at least you dont have the added HA of religion. When I rented out my house last time, I rented out all but one room (on paper) and left my locked godrej in one of the rooms - technically occupied by me. My "imagination" was I could always simply move in and live with them if they refused to vacate. I also gave it to a guy in an insurance company. He turned out to be nice, deposited the rent every month and left when he transferred after 3 years.

The next tenant is an old couple that pays 1/10th the prevailing rent for the house for the last 15 years - there is NOTHING I could do bcz they are my in-laws..  But, I might have to rent it out in 1 or 2 years as they are planning on going to assisted living. So need to update on the renting out tricks.
>>>Rent it to corporates, if you can. This has always been my preference, where your tenant is the company who in turn has an employee occupy the place. Even from the admittedly superficial knowledge I have of the Indian rental market, I can see HK's POV. There are all kinds of games played and kicking a tenant out is  not that easy. In one of the cases where I had a direct tenant (non corporate arrangement), the guy fell behind on his rent quite a bit. The guy incidentally was a muslim, but there was no religious issue, just financial. I had to get the services of a lawyer to get the guy out, but I ended up losing about 6 months rent and the rent was about 1/3rd of the going rate at the time he left.
>>>Incidentally, the religion angle was something my lawyer considered when he was advising me on it. The tenant himself, whom I met, was a problem in terms of digging his heels in, but did not talk bring up anything related to discrimination. He asked me for money to vacate (!).I told him no dice and after a couple of e  mails, i directed him to communicate with me through my lawyer. He left without incident within a month.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:25 pm

Kris wrote:>>>Incidentally, the religion angle was something my lawyer considered when he was advising me on it. The tenant himself, whom I met, was a problem in terms of digging his heels in, but did not talk bring up anything related to discrimination. He asked me for money to vacate (!).I told him no dice and after a couple of e  mails, i directed him to communicate with me through my lawyer. He left without incident within a month.
None from the PiSS group would ever rent their home/flat to a muslim.. Just all BS and hypocrites.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:14 pm

None from the PiSS group would ever rent their home/flat to a muslim.. Just all BS and hypocrites.

Huh! you make these statements with such conviction; am I the only one that thinks these statements are eerily similar to & as pretentious as BJP's promises like building a temple.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:04 pm

Kris wrote:
Kris: Back in the early 90's my parents used to visit us, their sons, here for long spells which made them rent our Bangalore house. The guy was a Kannadiga with political connections (we came to know later). The rent was about half of the going rate because my dad thought that he was a poor man with a very large family and deserved a break. Unfortunately the guy turned out to be a total jerk who never paid any rent and refused to vacate. Our parents had to stay in a rented house in taking him to court. After 8 long and agonizing years of legal battle with no help from the court system, my dad forgave all the back rent for over a decade and top of that paid 5 lakhs in cash just to get him out. Sad story but true. And he was no muslim either. Your advise to opt for a corporate tenant is a wise one.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:06 pm

Kris wrote:>>>Incidentally, the religion angle was something my lawyer considered when he was advising me on it. The tenant himself, whom I met, was a problem in terms of digging his heels in, but did not talk bring up anything related to discrimination. He asked me for money to vacate (!).I told him no dice and after a couple of e  mails, i directed him to communicate with me through my lawyer. He left without incident within a month.
who or what is a PiSS group?

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:21 pm

bw wrote:
who or what is a PiSS group?
Pseudo-iSlamic-Super-Secular (or something like that....forgot the original expansion...that is what happens when I coin one acronym a week).

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:50 am

goodcitizn wrote:
Kris wrote:
Kris: Back in the early 90's my parents used to visit us, their sons, here for long spells which made them rent our Bangalore house. The guy was a Kannadiga with political connections (we came to know later). The rent was about half of the going rate because my dad thought that he was a poor man with a very large family and deserved a break. Unfortunately the guy turned out to be a total jerk who never paid any rent and refused to vacate. Our parents had to stay in a rented house in taking him to court. After 8 long and agonizing years of legal battle with no help from the court system, my dad forgave all the back rent for over a decade and top of that paid 5 lakhs in cash just to get him out. Sad story but true. And he was no muslim either. Your advise to opt for a corporate tenant is a wise one.
>>>My overall experience with corporate tenants has been good. One of the companies was Indian and the rest foreign ( although one guy who was Spanish had trashed the place when he left) .  The tenant I mentioned was one of the few who was a private party. I did have another bad experience with a "buyer" who claimed to be an NRI who it turned out was looking to flip the property, but likely lost his buyer. In the process I had asked my tenant to vacate who was solid and by the time I re-rented it, the market was down and my rent dropped about $300. I have heard horror stories similar to your parents' experiences, but have been extra cautious in my dealings. The legal system is a nightmare.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:57 am

confuzzled dude wrote:

Huh! you make these statements with such conviction; am I the only one that thinks these statements are eerily similar to & as pretentious as BJP's promises like building a temple.

A man without conviction is a confused man...err....confuzzled dude.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:58 am

confuzzled dude wrote:

He is confuzzled all right. Keeps getting his question marks and exclamation marks mixed up.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:16 am

Hellsangel wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

He is confuzzled all right. Keeps getting his question marks and exclamation marks mixed up.

That's the best you could do?

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:29 am

confuzzled dude wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

That's the best you could do?
Congratulations! You got the question mark right this time. Now we can move to Level 2.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2