Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Things you always suspected about Sylvia Plath

+2
Silly Point
Petrichor
6 posters

Go down

Things you always suspected about Sylvia Plath Empty Things you always suspected about Sylvia Plath

Post by Petrichor Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:33 pm

http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Sylvia_Plath

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Things you always suspected about Sylvia Plath Empty Re: Things you always suspected about Sylvia Plath

Post by Silly Point Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:00 pm

She is my Fav Poet... she had a unique way with words..

Come on.. She penned

"Kiss me and see how important I am"

I need to put that on my dating business card Very Happy

Krithi

Silly Point

Back to top Go down

Things you always suspected about Sylvia Plath Empty Re: Things you always suspected about Sylvia Plath

Post by Guest Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:11 pm

so ok, she was a feminist. will pick up more quote from her.

Back to top Go down

Post by Silly Point Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:19 pm

Another one of my favorites:

"I shut my eyes and all the world drops dead;
I lift my lids and all is born again.
(I think I made you up inside my head.)"

Silly Point

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:55 pm

"There is nothing like puking with somebody to make you into old friends."

"When you give someone your whole heart and he doesn’t want it, you cannot take it back. It’s gone forever."

"If they substituted the word ‘Lust’ for ‘Love’ in the popular songs it would come nearer the truth."

"What horrifies me most is the idea of being useless: well-educated, brilliantly promising, and fading out into an indifferent middle age."

"Perhaps some day I’ll crawl back home, beaten, defeated. But not as long as I can make stories out of my heartbreak, beauty out of sorrow."

"And when at last you find someone to whom you feel you can pour out your soul, you stop in shock at the words you utter— they are so rusty, so ugly, so meaningless and feeble from being kept in the small cramped dark inside you so long."

Back to top Go down

Post by Silly Point Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:13 pm

" I would say Go to Hell, But I never want to see you again"

Silly Point

Back to top Go down

Post by smArtha Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:22 pm

Silly Point wrote:Another one of my favorites:

This reads so 'Advaitik'

smArtha

Back to top Go down

Post by smArtha Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:37 pm

Silly Point wrote:She is my Fav Poet... she had a unique way with words..

Come on.. She penned

"Kiss me and see how important I am"

I need to put that on my dating business card Very Happy

Krithi

Hope you are kidding about this quote getting on to your date-me card. 
The way it is phrased, only Frogs will show interest and not any Prince :-)

smArtha

Back to top Go down

Post by Silly Point Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:48 pm

I "am" Kidding.. but I have always wanted to say that to someone just see the look on their face Very Happy

I am looking for a prince.. so no frogs

Krithi

Silly Point

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:44 pm

smArtha wrote:
Silly Point wrote:Another one of my favorites:

This reads so 'Advaitik'

>>>LOL!

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Silly Point Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:37 am

what is Advaitik? *khonphused*

Krithi

Silly Point

Back to top Go down

Post by smArtha Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:00 pm

Silly Point wrote:what is Advaitik? *khonphused*

Krithi

Not intended to remove your *khonphusion* .. but you asked for it :-)

There are three main ways of understanding creation in the advaita tradition - namely, ajAti vAda (creation is not an absolute, real event), sRshTi-dRshTi vAda (what has been created is perceived) and dRshTi-sRshTi vAda (perception is simultaneous with creation). The ajAti view is held in the pAramArthika (transcendental) sense, while the other two views are held in the vyAvahArika (wordly) sense. 

sRshTi-dRshTi vAda - The universe that is seen has been created by ISvara(Creator). sRshTi (creation) is therefore prior to dRshTi (perception). In other words, a thing has to exist in order for it to be perceived. 

dRshTi-sRshTi vAda - The view that cognition and creation are simultaneous. It also seems to throw up the most interesting logical paradoxes that are familiar to those interested in interpretations of quantum mechanics, e.g. the act of observation itself causing a particular collapse of a wave function, thus creating its outcome in some sense, and the absolute necessity of the observer in any description of an event.

ajAti vAda - The notion that mAyA has no reality in itself, and that brahman is the only real, allows the sRshTi-dRshTi vAdin/dRshTi-sRshTi vAdin to "graduate", so to speak, to ajAtivAda, the view that no creation really occured ever. Although one initially starts looking for brahman as the ontological basis of the perceived universe, advaita also recognizes that this search for origins is ultimately futile, as far as mOksha is concerned. 

According to advaita, what is called the universe is in reality not other than brahman. Similarly, what is called the jIva is in reality, the Atman, which is also nothing other than brahman Itself. The real jIva is the Atman, which is unchanging, ever free, and identical with brahman. This is said on the basis of upanishadic passages where the Atman is explicitly equated with brahman. This equation of Atman with brahman is also explained by means of adhyAropa-apavAda. By sublating the superimposition of human shortcomings and attributes on the Atman, the pure Atman, the substratum, shines forth as brahman Itself. The mani-fold universe and the individual self, which considers itself bound, are both superimposed upon that Transcendental Reality which is brahman. Once the superimposition is understood for what it is, the individual is no more an individual, the universe is no more the universe - all is brahman.

smArtha

Back to top Go down

Post by Silly Point Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:11 pm

*head hurts*

I read the WHOLE thing yaar...

*looking for tylenol*

Krithi

PS thanks for the insight.. Very Happy

no longer *khonphused*

Silly Point

Back to top Go down

Post by smArtha Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:12 pm

Silly Point wrote:*head hurts*

I read the WHOLE thing yaar...

*looking for tylenol*

Krithi

PS thanks for the insight.. Very Happy

no longer *khonphused*

no longer *khonphused* & *head hurts*
Only one of them can be true :-)

smArtha

Back to top Go down

Post by Silly Point Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:16 pm

*head still hurts*

Very Happy

Silly Point

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:45 pm

MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Silly Point Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:55 am

simply amazing!!! 

Thanks Smile

Silly Point

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:21 pm

yes i loved her voice. i have liked the few poems i've read by her. it's good to know there is a sexy voice behind the poems. and it's also great to know that the cadence that she had intended is exactly how i read it out to myself.

it's the kind of cultured new england voice that i find a turn-on.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Silly Point Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:40 pm

she is the bees knees maan!!

Love love love her

*Krithi*

Silly Point

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:30 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:yes i loved her voice. i have liked the few poems i've read by her. it's good to know there is a sexy voice behind the poems. and it's also great to know that the cadence that she had intended is exactly how i read it out to myself.

it's the kind of cultured new england voice that i find a turn-on.

she sounds like a draconian school teacher. didn't like it one bit.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:29 am

Silly Point wrote:she is the bees knees maan!!

Love love love her

*Krithi*

>>>Krithi, WTH? You are a fan of Miss Sunshine? dayumn..

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Silly Point Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:13 am

Hey Kris,

Poets become your favorite when they speak to you. or when they echo your sentiments about the world around you..

Discovered Sylvia Plath during a very dark period of my life where she spoke to me and her poetry will always be special to me coz of that..

She makes pain seem sexy Very Happy

Krithi

Silly Point

Back to top Go down

Post by smArtha Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:18 am

Silly Point wrote:Hey Kris,

Poets become your favorite when they speak to you. or when they echo your sentiments about the world around you..

Discovered Sylvia Plath during a very dark period of my life where she spoke to me and her poetry will always be special to me coz of that..

Krithi

Isn't the general wisdom to get rid of all 'baggage and attachments' from the 'darker periods' of our life?!!

smArtha

Back to top Go down

Post by smArtha Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:19 am

Krithi

Isn't the general wisdom to get rid of all 'baggage and attachments' from the 'darker periods' of our life?!!

smArtha

Back to top Go down

Post by Silly Point Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:27 am

Yes that is the general wisdom, but that is easier said than done..
on the sliding scale of baggage, some can be easily gotten rid of and others take some more time and some are so entrenched in your soul it becomes a part of your identity.. these, i call demons that need to be exorcized..

*suddenly feels deep*
Krithi

Silly Point

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:49 am

Silly Point wrote:Yes that is the general wisdom, but that is easier said than done..
on the sliding scale of baggage, some can be easily gotten rid of and others take some more time and some are so entrenched in your soul it becomes a part of your identity.. these, i call demons that need to be exorcized..

*suddenly feels deep*
Krithi
do you have a job, krithi? cuz I've found that once one decides to get a job and do something useful with their time, these problems simply disappear, it's almost as if they never existed.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Silly Point Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:56 am

Dear pn,

Yes I do have a job, which I love btw.. I also believe that we don't live in Black and White world, there are shades of grey.. and i have learned that these demons tend to reside in the grey bits..

some problems can't disappear into non existence IMO

*keepin it real*
Krithi

Silly Point

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:04 am

Krithi
I discovered plath when I was 13 and my high school English teacher introduced us to her as if we were meeting someone who had changed the literary landscape.
what could a silly attention-seeking whiny manipulative white woman who had cooked herself to well done by the time she was 30 have to impart to young minds that hungry to learn? She was not worldly or intelligent or humorous. All I see is lunacy with the occasional mention of flowers bees and the sense that unfortunately the pollination did not occur in the way she expected it should....  I am afraid that is what is sexy here is that she is a new Englander and a wasp and whatever "prestige" that comes with it. And it appears that this genuflection to class is what brings you guys and so many English teachers to love and admire her. And how sorry for the younglings.

I discovered Laurel and Hardy as a kid and Voltaire as a teen, jeeves and Wooster and finally the master of life and comedy pg Wodehouse when I was 22. Pain is never sexy no matter what the americans tell you. Humor is.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:15 am

** I meant I watched jeevs and Wooster on tv but did not read PGW until I was 22

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Silly Point Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:28 am

Poetry, in my opinion, is not read for the sake of reading it.. it is read when it speaks to you.. I was introduced to Plath when i was 21, I didn't care if she was black white or whatever, it was her words that let me know in her own way that I was not Alone!

Also, it is not the genuflection to class that drew me to her, it was the pain which at that time seemed like my pain.. She is not for everyone I get that.. she was for me! Her Darkness was comforting and that was all that mattered at that time..

Humor is universal, it is for happy people.. you can't use humor to ease the pain, you can use humor to forget momentarily but i have found that once the laughter ends and the curtains close you are left with silence and how you deal with the silence is the essence of you..

In the end poetry for me is entirely selfish, it is something that keeps me company unlike anything with a heart beat. Poetry never tells me I am wrong, it allows be to dwell in the moment and stay as long as I like..

Just coz she isn't for you pravalika, doesn't mean she is insignificant..

Krithi

Silly Point

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:32 am

Wow! SP...that was an awesome post. Very true about humor being just commercial breaks of life.
Hope you find a tall, dark, and happy soulmate!

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Silly Point Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:39 am

Thanks Petri Very Happy

Silly Point

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:48 pm

I sometimes miss CB in discussions like these.

Back to top Go down

Post by Silly Point Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:35 pm

where is CB now anyways??

Silly Point

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down