Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cornell Professor flips out over student's overly loud YAWN in classroom

+3
pravalika nanda
b_A
nevada
7 posters

Go down

Cornell Professor flips out over student's overly loud YAWN in classroom Empty Cornell Professor flips out over student's overly loud YAWN in classroom

Post by Guest Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:35 pm

Back to top Go down

Cornell Professor flips out over student's overly loud YAWN in classroom Empty Re: Cornell Professor flips out over student's overly loud YAWN in classroom

Post by nevada Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:30 pm

Not going to watch that video at work but this reminds me of the time when I ended up yawning so loudly in a class that the lecturer got pissed off and left the class. He didn't know who it was, and vowed not to teach us for the rest of the year until he did. Everyone was just chitchatting happily, and I didn't know if someone had noticed that it was me who did it. After about 30 minutes I went to the lecturer's room and 'fessed up. He was like "why didn't you own up to it then and there?" I told him "you were too upset, I waited a while so that you would cool down".

nevada

Back to top Go down

Cornell Professor flips out over student's overly loud YAWN in classroom Empty Re: Cornell Professor flips out over student's overly loud YAWN in classroom

Post by b_A Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:47 pm

*Wide Yawn*

b_A

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:04 pm

nevada wrote:Not going to watch that video at work but this reminds me of the time when I ended up yawning so loudly in a class that the lecturer got pissed off and left the class. He didn't know who it was, and vowed not to teach us for the rest of the year until he did. Everyone was just chitchatting happily, and I didn't know if someone had noticed that it was me who did it. After about 30 minutes I went to the lecturer's room and 'fessed up. He was like "why didn't you own up to it then and there?" I told him "you were too upset, I waited a while so that you would cool down".

how did he react to your answer?

Back to top Go down

Post by nevada Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:24 pm

Rashmun wrote:
nevada wrote:Not going to watch that video at work but this reminds me of the time when I ended up yawning so loudly in a class that the lecturer got pissed off and left the class. He didn't know who it was, and vowed not to teach us for the rest of the year until he did. Everyone was just chitchatting happily, and I didn't know if someone had noticed that it was me who did it. After about 30 minutes I went to the lecturer's room and 'fessed up. He was like "why didn't you own up to it then and there?" I told him "you were too upset, I waited a while so that you would cool down".

how did he react to your answer?

He was upset because he felt someone had done it deliberately to insult him. I explained to him that it was an accident, I didn't mean to insult him or anything like that. He kinda reluctantly agreed that it made sense. Then he lectured me about the importance of conducting oneself with decorum in public all walks of life.

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:34 pm

Rashmun wrote:
now you might think he's a white guy but most tam brams look like that, and no doubt he is one.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:45 pm

pravalika nanda wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
now you might think he's a white guy but most tam brams look like that, and no doubt he is one.

Nope.

Mark Talbert at Cornell University - RateMyProfessors.com
http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/ShowRatings.jsp?tid=182131

Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:51 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

Nope.

ah, he's an Ashkenazi jew then.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:41 pm

pravalika nanda wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Is it PN's bash Tam Bram day?

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:44 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

Nope.

Hell,

You are remarkable. You come up with internet sites on varied topics so fast.  What is your secret?
You could easily match Charvaka on search speed.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:09 pm

His anger is justified. But at the end, his insistence on knowing who it is a bit too much. Is he going to get vengeful and take it out on the student?

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:41 pm

truthbetold wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

Nope.

Hell,

You are remarkable. You come up with internet sites on varied topics so fast.  What is your secret?
You could easily match Charvaka on search speed.

by typing the words "talbert" and "cornell" (both a part of the title or the description in the youtube video) into a google search. that gives you the identity of the person. then you go to ratemyprofessor a well known college teacher rating website. he is a senior lecturer in cornell's hotel administration program.

Last edited by MaxEntropy_Man on Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:46 pm

yawning is bad student behavior. but it is also a cue that one is not able to hold the students' interest.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:03 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:yawning is bad student behavior. but it is also a cue that one is not able to hold the students' interest.

no, think it is more involuntary than voluntary, and it's been my experience that after a nice big yawn I'm more attentive: more oxygen, stretching the jaw and facial muscles makes one more alert.

the prof shouldn't have flipped out. I mean 1 out of 230 students yawns and you're gonna take it personally? his wife will divorce him very soon.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:20 pm

Kinnera wrote:His anger is justified. But at the end, his insistence on knowing who it is a bit too much. Is he going to get vengeful and take it out on the student?
>>>Weird for a guy who teaching college.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down