Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Haha...Sulekha CH is dead

+11
CroMagnon
harharmahadev
Another Brick
.|Sublime|.
artood2
Admin
Impedimenta
charvaka
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
Hellsangel
Merlot Daruwala
15 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Haha...Sulekha CH is dead - Page 2 Empty Re: Haha...Sulekha CH is dead

Post by .|Sublime|. Tue May 03, 2011 1:43 am

charvaka wrote:CH is showing us all its various possible visual states. Right now, the main page is in a state I have never seen it in before. Sad.

Do you think that whole RHS area is being reserved for some mega advertising?

.|Sublime|.

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue May 03, 2011 1:44 am

.|Sublime|. wrote:
charvaka wrote:CH is showing us all its various possible visual states. Right now, the main page is in a state I have never seen it in before. Sad.

Do you think that whole RHS area is being reserved for some mega advertising?
lol!
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://such.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Tue May 03, 2011 3:06 am

There seem to be multiple thread killers on the prowl. It is dead for sure.
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 03, 2011 3:17 am

HA had done it a couple of days ago to show maria that CH could be "killed" too. he restored it after a few mins after maria conceded to merlot that yes it was possible. then yeetee did it a day or so later. i think artood2 rescued it. osamabinlavden did it again yesterday -- mods. rescued it. osamabinlavden did it again today -- no one to rescue it till now.

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Tue May 03, 2011 3:33 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

HA had done it a couple of days ago to show maria that CH could be "killed" too. he restored it after a few mins after maria conceded to merlot that yes it was possible. then yeetee did it a day or so later. i think artood2 rescued it. osamabinlavden did it again yesterday -- mods. rescued it. osamabinlavden did it again today -- no one to rescue it till now.
That index page is fucked up real good. Even new posts are not fixing it. Time for the admins to come in and render their janitorial services. Of course, they won't fix the bug -- that would be too easy.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Tue May 03, 2011 3:44 am

That index page is fucked up real good. Even new posts are not fixing it. Time for the admins to come in and render their janitorial services. Of course, they won't fix the bug -- that would be too easy.

evwwrRy von here says that sulekha does not think that CH is important for their business. i wonder if that is true. CH gives hundreds of hits to sulekha every hour and they even have google's adsense working for CH. won't they lose it if CH wasn't active?

all of a sudden, i have started thinking that CH will be fixed soon.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue May 03, 2011 3:47 am

Another Brick wrote:evwwrRy von here says that sulekha does not think that CH is important for their business. i wonder if that is true. CH gives hundreds of hits to sulekha every hour and they even have google's adsense working for CH. won't they lose it if CH wasn't active?
Two things there... first, not sure how many CHers were clicking those ads. No clicks on ads = no revenue for Sulekha. Second, they had more ads on the blogs, and the blogs generated perhaps a hundred times the pageviews (and a hundred times the ad-clicks) that CH generated.

Another Brick wrote:all of a sudden, i have started thinking that CH will be fixed soon.
Let's hope so.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Tue May 03, 2011 3:58 am

so, sites don't earn any money just for advertising? is it all based on ad-clicks? that's a little unfair to websites. in print and electronic media, advertisers don't know if the reader/viewer reads/views the ad yet they have to pay.

i have never visited sulekha's blogs so i did not know that they have more advertisements there. but i doubt if the click rate on their blogs page is any better than CH forum rate.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue May 03, 2011 4:04 am

Another Brick wrote:so, sites don't earn any money just for advertising? is it all based on ad-clicks? that's a little unfair to websites. in print and electronic media, advertisers don't know if the reader/viewer reads/views the ad yet they have to pay.
That's how adwords work. (I learnt this a few years ago, and things might have changed since then.)

Another Brick wrote:i have never visited sulekha's blogs so i did not know that they have more advertisements there. but i doubt if the click rate on their blogs page is any better than CH forum rate.
I don't think the blogs have more ads, or that the clicks-to-pageviews ratio is higher there. It's just that the number of pageviews on blogs is a lot more. And I know many CHers are savvy enough to use ABP and block out ads altogether, whereas fewer bloggers probably do that. (I may just be stereotyping bloggers though, based on the few times I stepped into that madhouse side of Sulekha.) Even if we assume similar level of tech-savviness, blogs likely generate a much higher fraction of Sulekha revenue than CH does.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Tue May 03, 2011 4:04 am

I fixed it for now. It will be screwed soon. WTF.
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue May 03, 2011 4:05 am

artood2 wrote:I fixed it for now. It will be screwed soon. WTF.
Haha I like the Broken Arrow reference.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Tue May 03, 2011 4:11 am

Admin wrote:
Haha I like the Broken Arrow reference.

If I find a poster of the movie, I will make that my profile pic!
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue May 03, 2011 4:15 am

Admin wrote:
Another Brick wrote:so, sites don't earn any money just for advertising? is it all based on ad-clicks? that's a little unfair to websites. in print and electronic media, advertisers don't know if the reader/viewer reads/views the ad yet they have to pay.
That's how adwords work. (I learnt this a few years ago, and things might have changed since then.)

Another Brick wrote:i have never visited sulekha's blogs so i did not know that they have more advertisements there. but i doubt if the click rate on their blogs page is any better than CH forum rate.
I don't think the blogs have more ads, or that the clicks-to-pageviews ratio is higher there. It's just that the number of pageviews on blogs is a lot more. And I know many CHers are savvy enough to use ABP and block out ads altogether, whereas fewer bloggers probably do that. (I may just be stereotyping bloggers though, based on the few times I stepped into that madhouse side of Sulekha.) Even if we assume similar level of tech-savviness, blogs likely generate a much higher fraction of Sulekha revenue than CH does.
Trusty Wikipedia to the rescue again: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adsense. In the case of AdSense, both per-click and per-impression models are possible.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 03, 2011 4:42 am

I still have no clue how CH died but I am sad to see it go. I don't even recognise a whole lot of handles- r2d2, etc.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue May 03, 2011 4:50 am

I went back. Looks like it started after I responded in Mustafaa's thread on "Are U prepared for death ..." A new handle (very likely, same Yeetee, luvden, etc..) went on a rampage killing all of TS threads. It appears like someone against TS (and by extension QB). OTOH, could well be QB, who does not like anyone talking seriously to TS - after all, she was the one who wanted only TS and herself to be talking peacefully -which started a pseudo-sexy Greco-Roman style sibling dialogue. Only the admin can figure and "guess" based on the IP address. But, if the handle is from Tri-state area of the Bay area, it will impossible to predict with certainty. Handle banning and temporary rescueing are useless. Not sure if they can "disallow" comment tags in the CH reply page. If they can disallow links to picture and youtube and outside types, they should be able to ban the comment tag use in the reply page. I am not sure as it has been so long since I designed webpages.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue May 03, 2011 4:56 am

nutmeg wrote:I still have no clue how CH died but I am sad to see it go. I don't even recognize a whole lot of handles- r2d2, etc.

r2d2 is another old handle of some long -timer. don't remember. The old-timers are re-using their long forgotten alternate handles. Notice some are missing for a very long time. Even I keep forgetting your old handles 3 or 4 of them (Star is the only one I remember).

I see even Muthukumarr has lost interest in CH. That is really troublesome.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Tue May 03, 2011 6:35 pm

It looks like Sulekha has abandoned CH with the front page broken. It has been this way all day, as far as I can tell.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by harharmahadev Tue May 03, 2011 6:43 pm

It's rather sad...

harharmahadev

http://www.desichatter.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 03, 2011 6:53 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:I see even Muthukumarr has lost interest in CH. That is really troublesome.

Finally, we found out a solution for muthukumarrr... Kris would be happy.

Back to top Go down

Post by CroMagnon Tue May 03, 2011 9:00 pm

charvaka wrote:It looks like Sulekha has abandoned CH with the front page broken. It has been this way all day, as far as I can tell.

I repeat what I said earlier. If CH isn't fixed, everyone will move to this forum - EVERYONE. Some will move here and claim they are here to sabotage it, some will claim they come here to fight the lies which are being said "behind their backs," and some will come because they couldn't refuse some nice, kind, sweet, blah, blah people's invitation.
CroMagnon
CroMagnon

Back to top Go down

Post by Rekz Tue May 03, 2011 9:14 pm

yes sad...
For the past few days the main page is completly out of order..
since im on a holiday at a remote location the net connection is bad too...
But i did try to keep S CH active...I can't digest change Crying or Very sad
MIss old CH

Rekz
Rekz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 03, 2011 9:48 pm

Sad indeed

https://i.servimg.com/u/f24/16/44/96/48/qb10.png

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Wed May 04, 2011 12:05 am

Tracy Whitney wrote:Sad indeed

Actually I find that funny. Considering that she used to say, "it's fine to kill threads," "go right ahead and kill them," "tell me how to kill threads," etc. What's that Hindi saying: how does, like that fills.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed May 04, 2011 12:10 am

charvaka wrote:

Actually I find that funny. Considering that she used to say, "it's fine to kill threads," "go right ahead and kill them," "tell me how to kill threads," etc. What's that Hindi saying: how does, like that fills.

It is fairly easy to fix it. Like Sasthi said. when u reply many you get a error message. How difficult for them to check for comment closure or give error page. Instead these Sulekha techies are not botehred or dont know what to do and how to fix it.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Wed May 04, 2011 12:12 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
charvaka wrote:

It is fairly easy to fix it. Like Sasthi said. when u reply many you get a error message. How difficult for them to check for comment closure or give error page. Instead these Sulekha techies are not botehred or dont know what to do and how to fix it.
It is actually good business practice. Don't throw good money after bad. It's not a priority for them. We CHers didn't realize it for a long time.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed May 04, 2011 2:30 pm

CH has improved.

QB posting on Hindu Wisdom

And citing TIrukural in English - yes, the one by the dark, ugly South Indian.

CH might become Chaddi Hindu site at this rate. Self realization is occurring fast there.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed May 04, 2011 2:36 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:CH has improved.

QB posting on Hindu Wisdom

And citing TIrukural in English - yes, the one by the dark, ugly South Indian.

CH might become Chaddi Hindu site at this rate. Self realization is occurring fast there.
Haha...Sulekha CH is dead - Page 2 Imag0312
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 04, 2011 2:42 pm

**yawn**

admit it, all of you miss sulekha CH big time. can't stop talking abt wats up there and make fun of people who are still there ( and not here ).

honestly i am getting bored of the green page n fonts here.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 04, 2011 2:45 pm

well, to me CH is about CH'ers... you don't miss some, and you want others to share your experience

and this is a totally personal feeling, nice to have post something there with QB NOT deleting it, but how long can she stop herself? The bug is still there.

I am slowly warming up to this site with all its features and lack of spam. You really want to downgrade yourself?

Back to top Go down

Post by SomeProfile Wed May 04, 2011 2:50 pm

@Hellsangel - I can't believe you took a photo of the screen (with your camera?) to share it, instead of taking a screenshot!

SomeProfile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed May 04, 2011 2:56 pm

SomeProfile wrote:@Hellsangel - I can't believe you took a photo of the screen (with your camera?) to share it, instead of taking a screenshot!
Stuff you can do from your phone now.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 04, 2011 2:57 pm

i really really hope they fix the bug. this is good and i like a lot of things abt this forum but the green is getting to me now. i dond likes it at all.

wat downgrade are u talkin abt Rolling Eyes
to me these two are just different sites...not better not worse.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed May 04, 2011 3:22 pm

SomeProfile wrote:@Hellsangel - I can't believe you took a photo of the screen (with your camera?) to share it, instead of taking a screenshot!
I also post the youtube videos here from my phone. I think that is a big plus for this site - that it supports mobile devices.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 04, 2011 3:24 pm

when I used the mobile version on iphone, I didn't see anything to post... so I switched to the classic version, and that's what it is.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed May 04, 2011 3:26 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote:when I used the mobile version on iphone, I didn't see anything to post... so I switched to the classic version, and that's what it is.
Yes. I use the classic version on my phone.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Wed May 04, 2011 3:29 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote:well, to me CH is about CH'ers...
Yup. To me it is not about the technical platform. It's about the people. Most of those people are here now.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Wed May 04, 2011 3:48 pm

Looks like they fixed the front page, but left the bug in there. I wonder why they won't fix the bug already!
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Wed May 04, 2011 3:52 pm

Since it is not an emergency they will take their own sweet time. The front page is like a reputation spoiler and the discussions are like...."It can wait!". You know the programmers right....they work at their own will....if you quesiton them....they have every right to delay.

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 04, 2011 3:52 pm

what happens if one puts <div> in the title?

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Wed May 04, 2011 3:55 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote:what happens if one puts <div> in the title?
No idea. It will probably divide the header into two lines? What is the div tag for anyway?
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Haha...Sulekha CH is dead - Page 2 Empty Testing div <div> Second part</div>

Post by Hellsangel Wed May 04, 2011 4:00 pm

Div test

Last edited by Hellsangel on Wed May 04, 2011 4:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 04, 2011 4:01 pm

it's one of the peskiest tags (for me) in HTML/JSP/CSS combined... part of the reason I worked overtime from October 2009-March 2010, specially since I am not too good with stylesheets.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Span_and_div

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 04, 2011 4:03 pm

Hellsangel wrote:Div test

I have tested this here alreay.. it was earlier breaking the 'quotes' section, but caru fixed that. I will NOT test it on sulekha, heh... maalum pada, t'row I am deleted.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Wed May 04, 2011 4:04 pm

basically the div tag is used to format...like I want certain content to be shown as bold...and the the others italic....it's like styling the contents or formatting. It won't do anything if you put it....it is useless without the css.

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 04, 2011 4:18 pm

Sasthi wrote:basically the div tag is used to format...like I want certain content to be shown as bold...and the the others italic....it's like styling the contents or formatting. It won't do anything if you put it....it is useless without the css.

Very Happy

<link rel="shortcut icon" href="http://common.sulekha.com//images/favicon.ico" />
<link rel="stylesheet" href="http://common.sulekha.com/css09/yuiglobal.css" type="text/css"/>

and

<div id="doc2" class="yui-t4">
<div id="hd">

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Wed May 04, 2011 4:22 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote:
Sasthi wrote:basically the div tag is used to format...like I want certain content to be shown as bold...and the the others italic....it's like styling the contents or formatting. It won't do anything if you put it....it is useless without the css.

Very Happy

<link rel="shortcut icon" href="http://common.sulekha.com//images/favicon.ico" />
<link rel="stylesheet" href="http://common.sulekha.com/css09/yuiglobal.css" type="text/css"/>

and

<div id="doc2" class="yui-t4">
<div id="hd">
Evil. QB was complaining about this thread here a few days ago. Now she sees this and she may go totally bonkers.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Wed May 04, 2011 4:41 pm

TW you are evil!

Can you pls edit the post and remove your brilliant ideas....before someone copies it. Shocked

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Wed May 04, 2011 4:44 pm

Sasthi wrote:TW you are evil!

Can you pls edit the post and remove your brilliant ideas....before someone copies it. Shocked
Now that we have replied to her, she cannot delete her post even if she wants to. Besides, the cat is out of the bag now. Anybody can download that CSS and then figure out how to exploit to crash the main page all over again. I think. I am not an HTML expert... you are. Razz
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 04, 2011 4:47 pm

I think someone just needs to open a div element with one of those id's.. if sulekha is not robust enough, it will crash..

alright.. who will write the 100th post on this thread?

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Wed May 04, 2011 4:49 pm

I am not an HTML expert....it was way way long long back. My skill set are way too different. I really need to spend some time to mess up - which I don't want to. Would rather kill my free time than do something like that. Coding for me is profession and I wouldn't do it unless I am paid for Razz

Respect your profession!

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next