Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Legacy of Indian PM Manmohan singh

3 posters

Go down

Legacy of Indian PM Manmohan singh Empty Legacy of Indian PM Manmohan singh

Post by truthbetold Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:00 pm

Whether you believe UPA will be reduced to a minority or not, the time for MMS regime is over as per his January statement.

Since May 15th is approaching fast, we can start commenting about his legacy. 

Is he a successful prime minister?  

Is he more successful as an economist and finance minister than prime minister? 

Is he free from corruption (as in enriching himself)?

Did he provide leadership as Prime Minister? 

Give us your opinion and supporting logic.

My opinion:

I see MMS career as two major parts.  First part as a technocrat and second as a politician.  As RBI governor, world bank economist and as Finance minister in PVN govt,  the technocrat MMS acquainted himself very well.  He made that one strategic shift to liberate Indian economy from license raj to individual enterprise. It allowed Indians a great opportunity to show their abilities and reduce poverty by significant percentage points. India has finally joined the  free market nations. 

It was the first step. There were lot low hanging fruit. But it also required the delicate handling of a nascent idea in hostile environment. MMS was successful in turning the ship around.

Then came 2004.  He became PM. He got a robust economy that is poised to grow leaps and bounds. Grow it did.  His early decisions inspired confidence and congress provided a much more inclusive atmosphere than NDA. In 2009 victory, his influence among urban middle class certainly helped UPA. But his second term turned out to be a nightmare that exposed all the scams that were going on in UPA. 2G, CWG, YSR, Adarsh and later Helicopters.  In each case, Govt response was slow.  MMS started with defending his colleagues but was later forced by courts and media expose to order CBI investigations. Markets lost confidence in his govt. Final two years were disastrous with price rise, high inflation, high deficits and lack of progress on any major policy. 

On political front, both his terms were in effective and disastrous. He lacks the ability and enthusiasm to communicate with people. He failed to grasp the need to get people behind a policy. His bureaucratic mentality did not allow him to grasp that fundamental of democracy - Communicate and win over people. He was more concerned about Sonia's approval and later Rahul's opinions. 

He presided over a govt which misused parliament on two major policy occasions. Nuclear deal with US and AP state bifurcation. Both were difficult decisions. Instead of communications, he went  into a shell on both occasions and opted for darker tactics like bribing MPs and literally pulling the plug on parliament to force AP bifurcation. Similar undemocratic policies were used in Bihar and Goa to stall pro BJP govt formation.

My conclusion: Technocrat MMS - A success.   Politician MMS failed the nations trust. 

P.S.: I forgot to include Coal scam. But I also did not include Petrol price deregulation. (that is another good move by MMS).

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Legacy of Indian PM Manmohan singh Empty Re: Legacy of Indian PM Manmohan singh

Post by pravalika nanda Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:06 pm

in upscale indian restaurants there's always a guy with a turban who holds the door open for you and another one inside who says "madam, do you want tea? coffee? what can I get for you?"

manmohan, I would like an espresso.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:42 pm

What has YSR got do with MMS's legacy? If you want to blame MMS (PM of India) for perceived robbing by YSR (CM of AP) then it is only fair to give credit to MMS for Modi's (CM of Gujarat) perceived economic model & success. Why are we mixing up state & national politics here, trying to spin it so you can blame Congress for everything under the sun.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:51 pm

Cd,

YSR represents the robbing of AP people. MMS turned a blind eye to those actions till courts forced CBI investigations.  Out came the skeletons.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down