Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hear me out, please!

+2
doofus_maximus
harharmahadev
6 posters

Go down

Hear me out, please! Empty Hear me out, please!

Post by harharmahadev Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:33 am

Hello ladies and gentlemen!

Glad to see that people are moving out of CH..I hated the forum UI on sulekha. I can't believe that the admins didn't bother updating it inspite of having a huuge traffic.

Let me propose this once and then I'll shut up. I opened up a site called www.desichatter.com 3 years ago. It worked fine...but then I got busy at work and personal stuff (baby, building new home, etc) and so I couldnt devote any time to the site. Members left and the site fell apart.

I am looking for an opportunity to rebuild it, if possible. I am willing to put in money to redesign the site. The site can be moderated by anyone (Carvaka, QB, anybody...I don't care. We could have elections, if that's what it takes). I'm only interested in building out the site.

The site is www.desichatter.com. It's a crummy site right now..but I can spruce it up and make it swanky in a months time.

Please let me know if there is any interest. Now I'll shut up!

harharmahadev

http://www.desichatter.com

Back to top Go down

Hear me out, please! Empty Re: Hear me out, please!

Post by doofus_maximus Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:39 am

problem is asking everyone to move again to a different site.

doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by harharmahadev Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:46 am

DM:

I understand...but it's best to do it before ppl settle down out here. Not to metion, that site is going to be AD-FREE!!

It's going to be a cleaner forum using the latest/greatest vbulletin license.

Users get their own skins, and you have chat options too...I mean, it has a lot more features.

It's not too late...IMHO. All it takes is 5 mins to register.

harharmahadev

Back to top Go down

Post by harharmahadev Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:49 am

Btw...some of you might be curious about what is in it for me.

Let me explain..I just want to setup and operate a site...and maybe later expand into 'social media'...where freelance writers become the 'journalists'.

I have little or no intention of 'moderating' the site. I'll be happy being just a member and 'technician'.

harharmahadev

Back to top Go down

Post by SomeProfile Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:28 am

doofus_maximus wrote:problem is asking everyone to move again to a different site.

We are still in the early stages. At this point, we should be open to testing all alternatives before choosing the best one. If not, we may end up stuck with a b-grade site like Sulekha for many years. I will check out desichatter.com.

SomeProfile

Back to top Go down

Post by CroMagnon Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:40 am

SomeProfile wrote:
doofus_maximus wrote:problem is asking everyone to move again to a different site.

We are still in the early stages. At this point, we should be open to testing all alternatives before choosing the best one.

A few folks publicized this site too quickly. Testing should have been restricted to 3-4 people. Your idea was great - send it via notes. I and C both posted it in main forums, which was a mistake.

Now resistance is futile. It will either be this or everyone goes back to the hellhole.
CroMagnon
CroMagnon

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:44 am

CroMagnon wrote:
SomeProfile wrote:

We are still in the early stages. At this point, we should be open to testing all alternatives before choosing the best one.

A few folks publicized this site too quickly. Testing should have been restricted to 3-4 people. Your idea was great - send it via notes. I and C both posted it in main forums, which was a mistake.

Now resistance is futile. It will either be this or everyone goes back to the hellhole.

I say let's keep testing the other ones too. I am not attached to this one. If at the end we can agree on a better alternative, I am happy to automatically redirect users to the agreed site.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://such.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:45 am

SomeProfile wrote:I will check out desichatter.com.

I will too. I am still working on ironing out a few kinks with this platform. Once I am satisfied, I can spend more time testing the other alternatives.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://such.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SomeProfile Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:45 am

CroMagnon wrote:

One way to ensure other forums get tested thoroughly is to rotate between sites on a daily basis for the next few sites. Test this site all day today. Then, test the other site all day tomorrow. Charvaka could lock down posting any new replies on this site for tomorrow and then we could ALL test out the other site. That way, we get a good sense of both sites. The two main problems I see with this site are. One, it is not conducive to long discussions, especially discussion that veer off on tangential topics. Keeping track of which reply is for what will be a major headache. Two, the profile pics appearing on each and every response. That will be a pain when browsing at work.

SomeProfile

Back to top Go down

Post by SomeProfile Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:47 am

Admin wrote:
I say let's keep testing the other ones too. I am not attached to this one. If at the end we can agree on a better alternative, I am happy to automatically redirect users to the agreed site.

Same here. Do you think you could lock down this forum for tomorrow and redirect everybody to a different forum for one day tomorrow? That way, we can work around the initial inertia and have people thoroughly check the other forum(s) also.

SomeProfile

Back to top Go down

Post by harharmahadev Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:47 am

Please send me an email at drao27@yahoo.com, if you would like to get in touch with me offline.

harharmahadev

Back to top Go down

Post by harharmahadev Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:00 pm

I have been planning to upgrade the site (desichatter.com) with the latest/greatest vbulletin tools.

- mobile capability
- tagging
- polls
- personal skins, dashboards
- A better logo (to start with)

If there is traction, I will put in the effort.

harharmahadev

Back to top Go down

Post by harharmahadev Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:21 pm

shameless self *bump*

harharmahadev

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:29 pm

We see your eagerness to grab the opportunity to be the next "Satya Prabhakar"

The issue is plainly one of image. You have polarised a few and the Indian psyche of preventing the antagonist the success will make your success a distant possibility.

Become a Saamiyaar - the best business today.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down