Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SL tamils in Denmark...

3 posters

Go down

SL tamils in Denmark... Empty SL tamils in Denmark...

Post by seven Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:26 pm

...worship indian tamils. treat north indians like royalty and try to speak in hindi even though they are not good at it. 

KV - i know you will open this thread, are you from india or SL? are indian tamils superior to SL tamils ? how? why ? etc.

seven

Back to top Go down

SL tamils in Denmark... Empty Re: SL tamils in Denmark...

Post by Kris Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:53 pm

seven wrote:...worship indian tamils. treat north indians like royalty and try to speak in hindi even though they are not good at it. 

KV - i know you will open this thread, are you from india or SL? are indian tamils superior to SL tamils ? how? why ? etc.

>>>Seven, the answer lies in your question Smile

Would you classify as 'superior' someone who is wasting energy in speaking Hindi which is essentially useless in their lives rather than learning Danish which would better their livelihood?

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by seven Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:10 pm

Kris wrote:
seven wrote:...worship indian tamils. treat north indians like royalty and try to speak in hindi even though they are not good at it. 

Would you classify as 'superior' someone who is wasting energy in speaking Hindi which is essentially useless in their lives rather than learning Danish which would better their livelihood?

I think they were trying to make my cousin more welcome and at home. He appreciated the effort and so the energy wasn't completely wasted i'd think. 
I can't decide what's more superior, trying to make someone new comfortable or being indian tamil. i mean all of them speak danish and make good living etc.

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:35 pm

seven wrote:
Kris wrote:

I think they were trying to make my cousin more welcome and at home. He appreciated the effort and so the energy wasn't completely wasted i'd think. 
I can't decide what's more superior, trying to make someone new comfortable or being indian tamil. i mean all of them speak danish and make good living etc.

>>> Many of the SL Tamils in European countries went as refugees. I have run into them in Switzerland and France. I visited Denmark quite a few years ago and don't recall seeing any then, but if there are some there now, it is quite likely that  they are not that different from those in other parts of Europe in terms of their socio-economic status. They are not making that good a living. Indians in general have gone as professionals, with a few having gone as early as the 60s (one of my Danish friends is married to a girl who has a Bengali father and a Danish mother). You can manage with English in Denmark in a professional capacity, but it gets tougher when you are in service industries like restaurants, parking lot attendants etc. since you are dealing with people from all walks of life. Denmark is a pretty tolerant country overall, but racism is definitely not unheard of and when you are dealing with the overall population, rather than professionals, this language thing could come into play. The hindi thing may be a one- off thing with your cousin, but it would be baffling if they are focusing on hindi that much. I don't know what the benefit to them would be.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:44 pm

i spent a short summer sabbatical at denmark many years ago. in an academic setting, knowing danish was certainly not required. none of the tamils i met spoke any hindi. stories of SL tamils speaking hindi sound very far fetched.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:52 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i spent a short summer sabbatical at denmark many years ago. in an academic setting, knowing danish was certainly not required. none of the tamils i met spoke any hindi. stories of SL tamils speaking hindi sound very far fetched.

>>No, not in a professional capacity as I said in my post. The SL Tamils that 7's cousin ran into may have conversed in Hindi to make him feel at home, as she says. I have run into SL Tamils who grew up in Columbo speak Sinhalese, but not Hindi.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down