Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Good news from Karnataka on the language issue

2 posters

Go down

Good news from Karnataka on the language issue Empty Good news from Karnataka on the language issue

Post by Ponniyin Selvan Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:09 pm

Deve Gowda has opposed the directive on Hindi usage in social media.

I have read reports that Hindi is now being removed from the Bengaluru Metro and it is only English and Kannada and announcements in Hindi have been stopped due to the efforts of Karnataka Rakshana Vedike.. Good job guys..

Ponniyin Selvan

Back to top Go down

Good news from Karnataka on the language issue Empty Re: Good news from Karnataka on the language issue

Post by Guest Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:22 pm

Ponniyin Selvan wrote:Deve Gowda has opposed the directive on Hindi usage in social media.

I have read reports that Hindi is now being removed from the Bengaluru Metro and it is only English and Kannada and announcements in Hindi have been stopped due to the efforts of Karnataka Rakshana Vedike.. Good job guys..

The Kannada Rakshana Vedike has ordered Tamils in Karnataka to leave the state, in preparation for Rajakumar's release by Veerappan and the Tamil militants. "We will not be responsible for their lives and belongings after Rajakumar is freed, if anti-Tamils riots break out in Karnataka," Vedike convenor Janakare Venkataramaiah told the Bangalore media.

Venkataramaiah has also allegedly told Tamils that they can walk the streets of Karnataka, their vehicles can ply on Karnataka's roads and Tamil films can be screened in Karnataka cinemas only till Rajakumar is released.

Trucks bearing Tamil Nadu registration numbers have stopped entering Karnataka and Tamil films are not being shown in the state, even though Kannada films have resumed screening from September 1.

http://www.rediff.com/news/2000/sep/14veer1.htm

Back to top Go down

Good news from Karnataka on the language issue Empty Re: Good news from Karnataka on the language issue

Post by goodcitizn Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:30 am

Rashmun, your spiel going back some 15 years, has nothing to do with the current reality in southern states, particularly in Karnataka. Hindi is bound to be in disfavor, at best behind Kannada and English, and at worst behind Kannada, English and Tamil. The local buses don't carry any Hindi signs or script. Most places only have Kannada only or Kannada and English signs. This has less to do with Rakshana Vedike and more to do with naarthie zealots trying to shove Hindi, by hook or crook, down the throat of non-Hindians.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:31 am

goodcitizn wrote:Rashmun, your spiel going back some 15 years, has nothing to do with the current reality in southern states, particularly in Karnataka. Hindi is bound to be in disfavor, at best behind Kannada and English, and at worst behind Kannada, English and Tamil. The local buses don't carry any Hindi signs or script. Most places only have Kannada only or Kannada and English signs. This has less to do with Rakshana Vedike and more to do with naarthie zealots trying to shove Hindi, by hook or crook, down the throat of non-Hindians.

It is true that local buses in Bangalore don't carry hindi signs or script and (leaving aside the Volvo buses) nor do they carry English signs or script. In my opinion this is a mistake.

I will point out though that many ( not all) of the Hindu temples in Bangalore have hindi inscriptions near the temple entrance. The Shiva temple in Marathahalli ( and possibly other temples) which is a locality in Bangalore has only hindi and English inscriptions.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:34 am

Rashmun wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:Rashmun, your spiel going back some 15 years, has nothing to do with the current reality in southern states, particularly in Karnataka. Hindi is bound to be in disfavor, at best behind Kannada and English, and at worst behind Kannada, English and Tamil. The local buses don't carry any Hindi signs or script. Most places only have Kannada only or Kannada and English signs. This has less to do with Rakshana Vedike and more to do with naarthie zealots trying to shove Hindi, by hook or crook, down the throat of non-Hindians.

It is true that local buses in Bangalore don't carry hindi signs or script and (leaving aside the Volvo buses) nor do they carry English signs or script. In my opinion this is a mistake.

I will point out though that many ( not all) of the Hindu temples in Bangalore have hindi inscriptions near the temple entrance. The Shiva temple in Marathahalli ( and possibly other temples) which is a locality in Bangalore has only hindi and English inscriptions.

Meanwhile, some more news about the hoodlums who constitute the Kannada Rakshana Vedike:

http://churumuri.wordpress.com/2007/06/06/ms-sathyu-vs-karnataka-rakshana-vedike/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:37 am

From a 2008 article:

“Anti-Tamil Nadu” slogans painted on 12

T.N.-owned ultra-deluxe buses and an AC bus

More security provided at residence of Karunanidhi’s daughter, Selvi

BANGALORE: The ongoing protests against Tamil Nadu’s decision to take up the drinking water project at Hogenakkal took a new turn on Wednesday with the Karnataka Rakshana Vedike activists attempting to storm the Bangalore office of a leading Tamil daily and pressuring the staff to stop printing their newspaper in Karnataka.

The police said that around 11.45 a.m. about 100 activists belonging to the T.A. Narayana Gowda faction of the vedike staged a demonstration in front of the Dina Thanthi office on Dr. Rajkumar Road in 6th Block, Rajajinagar, and daubed black paint on the Tamil signboard.

When the protesters tried to barge into the office, the police barred them, but permitted a delegation of their leaders to meet the staff at the newspaper office. The vedike leaders urged the staff to stop printing the newspaper in Karnataka until the Hogenakkal issue was sorted out.

The protesters dispersed after a senior journalist, who was alone at the office, told them that he would bring the matter to the notice of the management. Deputy Commissioner of Police (West) P. Harisekharan said no violent incidents were reported during the demonstration.

In another incident, a group of Kannada activists barged into the inter-State bus terminus at the Kempe Gowda bus station and daubed black paint on windscreens and number plates of a dozen buses belonging to Tamil Nadu State Express Transport Corporation (TNSETC).

A TNSETC official said the protestors painted “anti-Tamil Nadu” slogans on 12 ultra-deluxe buses and an air-conditioned bus. However, no damage was done to the buses, he said.

Increasing protests

In view of the increasing protests, the police have heightened security at the Bangalore residence of Selvi, daughter of Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M. Karunanidhi.

http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-national/tp-karnataka/vedike-targets-dina-thanthi/article1232034.ece

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:38 am

A 2012 article:

http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-in-school/cauvery-protest-hits-bangalore/article3970114.ece

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:21 am

Rashmun, don't mix apples and oranges. The dispute between Karnataka and TN is over Kauveri water. That animosity will continue to go on until an agreeable solution is arrived at.

I have traveled across Karnataka recently all the way west to Mangalore from Bangalore. Most of the signs are in Kannada, some with Kannada and English. Hindi is only seen in central govt buildings or its services, nowhere else.

Why bring temples, mosques or churches into this? The fact is that Kannadigas are proud of their language heritage and their signs reflect that. Understand one thing. People will only learn languages that benefit them. Merely forcing them to learn a language because it is convenient for a north indian will only cause resentment.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:02 am

goodcitizn wrote:Rashmun, don't mix apples and oranges. The dispute between Karnataka and TN is over Kauveri water. That animosity will continue to go on until an agreeable solution is arrived at.

I have traveled across Karnataka recently all the way west to Mangalore from Bangalore. Most of the signs are in Kannada, some with Kannada and English. Hindi is only seen in central govt buildings or its services, nowhere else.

Why bring temples, mosques or churches into this? The fact is that Kannadigas are proud of their language heritage and their signs reflect that. Understand one thing. People will only learn languages that benefit them. Merely forcing them to learn a language because it is convenient for a north indian will only cause resentment.

One fairly common complaint of Kannadigas which I have heard is that if a Kannadiga is conversing with a Tamilian in Karnataka, the tamil person will always try to have the conversation in tamil even if they know Kannada. Also, many Tamilians born and brought up in Karnataka do not learn Kannada according to them. Even in Bangalore there are localities like Ulsoor with large tamil populations and many of these Tamilians are ignorant of Kannada.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ponniyin Selvan Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:11 am

goodcitizn wrote:Rashmun, don't mix apples and oranges. The dispute between Karnataka and TN is over Kauveri water. That animosity will continue to go on until an agreeable solution is arrived at.

I don't know what he has written since he is in my banned list. It is a waste of time to respond to the same queries over many years. I think we can do something constructive by engaging with others.. Facebook is good in that aspect, even many Hindians and fellow non-Hindians have come to realise the truths and facts about our diversity and why it should be compared with European Union.. Unless you have a lot of free time to engage with trolls I suggest you put him on the banned list..

Ponniyin Selvan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:25 am

Ponniyin Selvan wrote:

I don't know what he has written since he is in my banned list. It is a waste of time to respond to the same queries over many years. I think we can do something constructive by engaging with others.. Facebook is good in that aspect, even many Hindians and fellow non-Hindians have come to realise the truths and facts about our diversity and why it should be compared with European Union.. Unless you have a lot of free time to engage with trolls I suggest you put him on the banned list..

Yes. Ban those whose ideas do not tally with your views. Good thinking.

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:27 am

Ponniyin Selvan wrote:

You're probably right. It is futile to discuss with a person bent on naan pidicha muyalukku moone kaal.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:31 am

goodcitizn wrote:
Ponniyin Selvan wrote:

You're probably right. It is futile to discuss with a person bent on naan pidicha muyalukku moone kaal.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghetto

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:32 am

Rashmun wrote:

One fairly common complaint of Kannadigas which I have heard is that if a Kannadiga is conversing with a Tamilian in Karnataka, the tamil person will always try to have the conversation in tamil even if they know Kannada. Also, many Tamilians born and brought up in Karnataka do not learn Kannada according to them. Even in Bangalore there are localities like Ulsoor with large tamil populations and many of these Tamilians are ignorant of Kannada.

One fairly common complaint I have heard is that you live in your own world of reality like Dachni is spoken all over Tamil Nadu or Bharatha Natyam came from the north. Given your writing skills, you should really ply your trade on fiction writing.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:36 am

goodcitizn wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

One fairly common complaint I have heard is that you live in your own world of reality like Dachni is spoken all over Tamil Nadu or Bharatha Natyam came from the north. Given your writing skills, you should really ply your trade on fiction writing.

Even Tamils say that Bharata Muni who composed the Naatya Shastra was a Kashmiri. The Kashmiri scholar and aesthete Abhinavagupta has written the earliest known commentary on the Naatya Shastra. Tamil scholars like Govindaraja travelled all the way to Kashmir from their native TN to learn from Abhinavagupta. Surely these facts deserve greater reflection and study.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:06 am

Rashmun wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

Even Tamils say that Bharata Muni who composed the Naatya Shastra was a Kashmiri. The Kashmiri scholar and aesthete Abhinavagupta has written the earliest known commentary on the Naatya Shastra. Tamil scholars like Govindaraja travelled all the way to Kashmir from their native TN to learn from Abhinavagupta. Surely these facts deserve greater reflection and study.

The Naatya Shastra is of course the theoretical manual (written in Sanskrit) on which BN is based. Postures described in BN are depicted as carvings on the walls of many old tamil temples like the Nataraja temple at Chidambaram.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:36 am

Rashmun wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

The Naatya Shastra is of course the theoretical manual (written in Sanskrit) on which BN is based. Postures described in BN Naatya Shastra are depicted as carvings on the walls of many old tamil temples like the Nataraja temple at Chidambaram.

*Corrected*

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down