Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

highest railway bridge

4 posters

Go down

highest railway bridge Empty highest railway bridge

Post by Guest Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:54 pm

Indian engineers are toiling in the Himalayas to build the world's highest railway bridge which is expected to be 35 metres taller than the Eiffel Tower when completed by 2016.

http://www.younews.in/news/indian-engineers-are-building-the-worlds-highest-railway-birdge/

Back to top Go down

highest railway bridge Empty Re: highest railway bridge

Post by Maria S Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:19 am

Wow! I am sure it will be amazing! 

Good Sat morning Tracy!

I enjoyed the experiences of traveling in the Indian Railways for the most part..whether it was enormously crowded, not crowded...ladies compartment..general compartment..3rd class, 1st class, AC Class and all the others! 

Speaking of great train rides..we used to travel by trains and visit the southern most areas in Tamil Nadu..visit relatives and friends..and great tourist places like Kanyakumari, Kuttralam and others..at least every two years..among the most exciting and amazing train rides as a child was traveling over the Pamban sea bridge to Rameshwaram..just way the train used to carefully move over the sea waters..and the scenic beauty was something!

Thank you Youtube..Have not been there in a long time..brings back memories..am sure a lot has changed now with luxury cars and buses and flights!

Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:53 am

good morning M Smile

I *think* have taken this train to Rameshwaram. Was it up and functioning in 1982, the same way as it is now? Have very vague memories of it, as I was 8.5 years old then.

While my dad and his friend were busy with stuff in Kodaikanal, mom, friend's wife, and we kids went on our own to Rameshwaram. I will ask the details again on how they managed the trip, but I think we took a bus down to somewhere and got on this train. I think we didn't have adequate reservations, so we ended up in those 3rd class or women compartments (memory failing me - had wooden berths, and we had to sit all through it), but we were stuck with dozens of fisher women carrying loads of fish. Oh the smell of it, absolute torture, took all sorts of strength to not cry. But all through the trip my mom assured me it would get better as we will get to go over the bridge - which is a marvel of architecture, she explained. And went over the bridge we did. Was great!

We were put in a decent motel type place (will ask again if we had booked it or trusted the rickshaw/taxi wala to take us there), and had a decent sleep. Mom woke us up 6 or 7 am to marvel at the sunrise, and we walked to the beach. No concept of swim/beach wear back then. Sis wore her regular chudidaar kurta, bro wore his t-shirt and shorts, and I paraded around in my shameez - the thick white frock type underwear to wear under frocks. Had loads of fun swimming in the water, obviously mom didn't enter, just took our pics. When I go back to India next, will fetch those pics and make a digital copy of them. 

I have lesser memories of the rest of that trip except we visited the big crowded temple. I only remember the train and the sea part. Was beautiful indeed! Our return train trip was much better.

Later someone told us that married people should visit Rameshwaram as a couple, and never single, or else it brings bad luck. They somehow managed to link it to how I almost cut my legs by almost going under that same train on a platform, and later thankfully escaped the 'wrath' by merely breaking my legs by falling off a hill in kodai kanal. But anyway, that's yet another lore...

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:09 am

It looks like a misleading headline. Perhaps it should have been called the tallest railway bridge instead of the highest railway bridge, since the news is about the height of the bridge from its base and not about its height above the sea-level.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:13 am

Seva Lamberdar wrote:It looks like a misleading headline. Perhaps it should have been called the tallest railway bridge instead of the highest railway bridge, since the news is about the height of the bridge from its base and not about its height above the sea-level.

good point! Also, easy to mix up the terms since it's gonna be in one of those high altitude places.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:37 pm

Maria S wrote:Wow! I am sure it will be amazing! 

Good Sat morning Tracy!

I enjoyed the experiences of traveling in the Indian Railways for the most part..whether it was enormously crowded, not crowded...ladies compartment..general compartment..3rd class, 1st class, AC Class and all the others! 

Speaking of great train rides..we used to travel by trains and visit the southern most areas in Tamil Nadu..visit relatives and friends..and great tourist places like Kanyakumari, Kuttralam and others..at least every two years..among the most exciting and amazing train rides as a child was traveling over the Pamban sea bridge to Rameshwaram..just way the train used to carefully move over the sea waters..and the scenic beauty was something!

Did you go to Dhanushkodi?

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:03 pm

I once drove on the Solomon Island bridge on Rte 4 in Maryland. That's about the place where the Patuxent river empties into the Bay, and that area is also the deepest part of the Bay. It's a two-lane bridge, and from the start it rises about as high as a 20-storey building with a real steep gradient. You get goose bumps as you go up and when you reach the apex. As you go up the gradient you see only the sky and the clouds (no land), and at the top you see only water (land is a distant feature). I will not go on that bridge again, if I can help it, especially not in heavy traffic when the going is slow. The apex is favorite point for suicide jumpers.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down