Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

telugu-kansan in insular california

+10
b_A
Kris
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
Seva Lamberdar
nevada
confuzzled dude
indophile
swapna
Propagandhi711
MaxEntropy_Man
14 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

telugu-kansan in insular california Empty telugu-kansan in insular california

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:13 am

http://www.8asians.com/2013/06/25/double-minority-south-indian-in-a-predominantly-north-indian-minority-community/
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

telugu-kansan in insular california Empty Re: telugu-kansan in insular california

Post by Propagandhi711 Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:17 am

coca isnt any telugu lastname I'm familiar with or heard of before, could be kannadiga. this douche is excessively sentimental & over sensitive..also probably lactates and has monthly mood swings

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

telugu-kansan in insular california Empty Re: telugu-kansan in insular california

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:31 am

how about koka subba rao the former chief justice of india?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:05 am

Propagandhi711 wrote:coca isnt any telugu lastname I'm familiar with or heard of before, could be kannadiga. this douche is excessively sentimental & over sensitive..also probably lactates and has monthly mood swings.

you're not familiar with much except Cleveland Steamers and Fleshlights.

btw, "lastname" is not a word; that's only the variable you used to hold the string of characters representing a last name, in a computer program you were writing.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:12 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:how about koka subba rao the former chief justice of india?
Yeah he was (is?) a Telugu guy. He was a brother-in-law of P.V. Rajamannar (also a Telugu), a former Chief Justice of the Madras High Court (the first India CJ of the Madras High Court).

Last edited by indophile on Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:20 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I said SIL. It's actually BIL.)

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:13 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:http://www.8asians.com/2013/06/25/double-minority-south-indian-in-a-predominantly-north-indian-minority-community/
I'd say majority of Telugus brought up in residual A.P would've felt similarly (about Naan, Garba); at least was the case 10-15 years ago,

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:15 am

koka and coca are not the same. no native anything would alter two letters of their last name like they do with first names routinely. coming to my point, I read the rest of his articles on that website and my opinion is based on everything he expressed. he seems like he wanders around looking for oppressors, hindian, asians or whites

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:15 am

'Boo hoo hooo! I grew up in a telugu ghetto, was never exposed to anything outside of that ghetto, I know nothing about the rest of India and hence feel like an alien in an indian club. So I whine, whine and whine and whine some more'
Tell this kid to append this article to a college application. His application is going to be dumped in trash without a second thought.

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:25 am

confuzzled dude wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:http://www.8asians.com/2013/06/25/double-minority-south-indian-in-a-predominantly-north-indian-minority-community/
I'd say majority of Telugus brought up in residual A.P would've felt similarly (about Naan, Garba); at least was the case 10-15 years ago,

majority of telugus brought up in residual A.P would feel even more disconnected to the culture of hyd with the language, food and customs even though it's supposed to be filled with majority telugu speakers. that would be true even now. so?

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:48 am

Propagandhi711 wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

majority of telugus brought up in residual A.P would feel even more disconnected to the culture of hyd with the language, food and customs even though it's supposed to be filled with majority telugu speakers. that would be true even now. so?
Would it be fair to ask those errabassu guys to prove their teluguness to Hyderabadis? I guess that was the author's point. Whatever happened to bhinnatvam lo ekatvam?

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:57 am

confuzzled dude wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

Would it be fair to ask those errabassu guys to prove their teluguness to Hyderabadis? I guess that was the author's point. Whatever happened to bhinnatvam lo ekatvam?
Most errabassu ppl are smart and savvy. They learn and adapt, not whine and whine. If they keep whining they remain the erranassu guys forever and whine forever. Btw, this kid is an ABC(yeah C)D kid from Kansas, not from some remote region in AP

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:02 am

confuzzled dude wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

bhinna - fraction, division etc. eka - one, unity etc. so bhinnatvam lo ekatvam is 'unity in diversity'?

it's interesting that a fellow whose parents have grounded him well in their culture is being called a ghetto resident, but similar standards and terms are never applied to northindians who can't even figure out the difference between various southern indian languages when they are spoken around them.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:05 am

Kinnera wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

Most errabassu ppl are smart and savvy. They learn and adapt, not whine and whine. If they keep whining they remain the erranassu guys forever and whine forever. Btw, this kid is an ABC(yeah C)D kid from Kansas, not from some remote region in AP

why would a kansan-telugu be expected to know about bhangra and garba? he is a telugu from kansas. he says he knows more about carnatic music and telugu cuisine (expected), and i am sure he knows a lot about kansas.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:06 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

bhinna - fraction, division etc. eka - one, unity etc. so bhinnatvam lo ekatvam is 'unity in diversity'?

it's interesting that a fellow whose parents have grounded him well in their culture is being called a ghetto resident, but similar standards and terms are never applied to northindians who can't even figure out the difference between various southern indian languages when they are spoken around them.
Whiners and negative ppl remain whiners and negative forever. I hope these qualities don't get passed on to their children. If so, that is sad!

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:07 am

Kinnera wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

Your post pretty much proves who is the confused soul. The point is not about adapting oneself rather having to prove his Indianness or roots in his case; Not sure why you keep referring it as whining, if anything this proves that the other party is as ignorant (or has as limited exposure) as this person on Indian cultural diversity.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:10 am

confuzzled dude wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

Your post pretty much proves who is the confused soul. The point is not about adapting oneself rather having to prove his Indianness or roots in his case; Not sure why you keep referring it as whining, if anything this proves that the other party is as ignorant (or has as limited exposure) as this person on Indian cultural diversity.
I was talking about your errabassu ppl from remote andhra who move to hyderabad.

Of course, the kid was whining.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:12 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

why would a kansan-telugu be expected to know about bhangra and garba? he is a telugu from kansas. he says he knows more about carnatic music and telugu cuisine (expected), and i am sure he knows a lot about kansas.
Knowing more about carnatic music and telugu cuisine doesn't mean that he shouldn't know about or learn about bhangra and garba.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:15 am

he is a thinker. writes thoughtfully about things that matter to him:

http://www.8asians.com/2013/06/03/freedom-of-assimilation/
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:16 am

Kinnera wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:

Knowing more about carnatic music and telugu cuisine doesn't mean that he shouldn't know about or learn about bhangra and garba.

he says he has lived in 44 countries. based on his writings, he doesn't seem particularly confused or insular. the problem is elsewhere.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:18 am

confuzzled dude wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

I dont know what your point is and how it's tied to what this guy wrote, but I was responding to your comment that "residual andhra telugus" find naan garba etc as foreign like it were a huge revelation. those people find hyderabad as foreign as anything else from the north.

without commenting on other ABCD kids looking at him strangely that he doesnt know what bhangra is, this kid seems to be a hypersensitive whiner in general that didnt want to stay in touch with his indianness**. his whine is a way of justifying that tendency out of a sense of guilt which our professore jumped on to prove some tangential point of his. I guess after interacting with douchemun, some of that method is bound to rub off.

** read the following paras carefully.
"Then, at the end of the row, a pair of eyes came looking right for me. An Indian from the table with a sign, in English but with horizontal lines above the letters mimicking Hindi script, “Indian Sub-Continental Club.”
“Hey there, come to our first meeting this Wednesday,” he said, thrusting a yellow flyer into my hand.
Intially I didn’t want to go, but after seeing that all my fellow dormmates were attending their ethnic clubs first meetings, I succumbed to pressure and went. It was in the same lecture hall that my Humanities course was. Over 300 Indian-American students showed up. I found an empty seat, already feeling out of place."
I never went to an Indian club meeting ever again, and didn’t make any Indian friends at UCI.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:19 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:he is a thinker. writes thoughtfully about things that matter to him:

Even Unabomber was a thinker, but the guy couldn't assimilate.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:23 am

Kinnera wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:he is a thinker. writes thoughtfully about things that matter to him:

Even Unabomber was a thinker, but the guy couldn't assimilate.

speechless!
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:26 am

Kinnera wrote:'Boo hoo hooo! I grew up in a telugu ghetto, was never exposed to anything outside of that ghetto, I know nothing about the rest of India and hence feel like an alien in an indian club. So I whine, whine and whine and whine some more'
Tell this kid to append this article to a college application. His application is going to be dumped in trash without a second thought.
apparently, what shocked that student was that "the rest of india" -- indeed, all of india -- was represented by bhangra, garish lehngas, inane bollywood movies, and tandoori chicken.

he would be even more shocked to learn that your loftiest aspiration is to get a northindian to consider you worthy of some social interaction, even if that is aimed at finding out if you're as "dark and ugly" as the "typical" telugu he has in mind.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:28 am

PS: I find northindians or anyone that expects others to know the particulars of their culture to be generally uncultured nosebreathers themselves. if someone speaks to me in hindi I respond in english or telugu, that goes for some of my telugu friends from hyderabad and northindians. presumption pisses me off

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:53 am

swapna wrote:
Kinnera wrote:'Boo hoo hooo! I grew up in a telugu ghetto, was never exposed to anything outside of that ghetto, I know nothing about the rest of India and hence feel like an alien in an indian club. So I whine, whine and whine and whine some more'
apparently, what shocked that student was that "the rest of india" -- indeed, all of india -- was represented by bhangra, garish lehngas, inane bollywood movies, and tandoori chicken.

he would be even more shocked to learn that your loftiest aspiration is to get a northindian to consider you worthy of some social interaction, even if that is aimed at finding out if you're as "dark and ugly" as the "typical" telugu he has in mind.
Do you even know anything about Indian clubs in universities? Bhangras are as popular as Bharatanatyams (and bharatanatyam fusions) and dandiyas and garbas (both from gujarat).

The second part is your figment of imagination. Not everyone is as twisted as you are.

Edit: oh btw, lehengas are out of fashion now. The south indian half sarees (oni) are the current trend. Fashions keep changing and get recycled.

https://www.google.com/search?q=half+saree&client=firefox-a&hs=D7o&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=sb&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=a3PWU_myAcypyATN3ILYCg&ved=0CD0QsAQ&biw=1920&bih=943

Back to top Go down

Post by nevada Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:44 pm

He does make some valid points but some of his claims seem unbelievable. In small towns in the US, motel owners, gas station owners, etc are big sponsors of "desi" cultural events. Given that they are mostly Gujarati and Punjabi respectively, desi cultural events are Bhangra, Dandia, etc. I can't believe he never attended even one such event in his life.

Secondly, his claim of not knowing "chana". The first time I heard "chana" was from my Andhra friend who called what we call "chole" as "kabuli chana". So it is surprising his parents never fed him any "chana" in his life. 

And then he finds the greeting "Namaskar" not to his liking? How different is it from Namaskaram or Namaste? 

But those details aside, I agree with the essence of what he says. He doesn't seem to like being categorized as something he is not. Some of us are more tolerant of others' ignorance of Indian sub cultures and he is not. That is his choice as much as it is our choice to "blend" in.

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:03 pm

nevada wrote:He does make some valid points but some of his claims seem unbelievable. In small towns in the US, motel owners, gas station owners, etc are big sponsors of "desi" cultural events. Given that they are mostly Gujarati and Punjabi respectively, desi cultural events are Bhangra, Dandia, etc. I can't believe he never attended even one such event in his life.

there is only so much time in a child's schedule between academics, sports, and other extra curricular activities. when it comes to choosing to spend time and money on cultural activities -- the choices are pretty clear, one has to pick some combination of bharathanatyam/kuchipudi, carnatic music, religious instruction and language classes and the bollywood thingamajig.  many parents i know give the bollywood thing a complete miss. OTOH many parents i know also give all the rest except bollywood a complete miss too. it completely depends on what the parents consider elements of their culture, that is worth passing on to their kids.  

having said all that, i do understand a certain pressure for kids to fit in and identify with the majority. after all they are children.  growing up is all about resisting that when it's in their better interest and to grow internally. looks like this guy's parents did a fine job in raising a wonderful young man.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:06 pm

nevada wrote:He does make some valid points but some of his claims seem unbelievable. In small towns in the US, motel owners, gas station owners, etc are big sponsors of "desi" cultural events. Given that they are mostly Gujarati and Punjabi respectively, desi cultural events are Bhangra, Dandia, etc. I can't believe he never attended even one such event in his life.

Secondly, his claim of not knowing "chana". The first time I heard "chana" was from my Andhra friend who called what we call "chole" as "kabuli chana". So it is surprising his parents never fed him any "chana" in his life. 

And then he finds the greeting "Namaskar" not to his liking? How different is it from Namaskaram or Namaste? 

But those details aside, I agree with the essence of what he says. He doesn't seem to like being categorized as something he is not. Some of us are more tolerant of others' ignorance of Indian sub cultures and he is not. That is his choice as much as it is our choice to "blend" in.
In my language (Pahadi), there is a saying for this type of guys who go out of their village or attend a good school in English medium etc. and then they start criticising and putting down unnecessarily their own culture, language and customs etc.,
"desi khota thane jayee aaya" ... "the local ass has been to the police station (to deliver goods for the police chief)."
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by nevada Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:45 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

there is only so much time in a child's schedule between academics, sports, and other extra curricular activities. when it comes to choosing to spend time and money on cultural activities -- the choices are pretty clear, one has to pick some combination of bharathanatyam/kuchipudi, carnatic music, religious instruction and language classes and the bollywood thingamajig.  many parents i know give the bollywood thing a complete miss. OTOH many parents i know also give all the rest except bollywood a complete miss too. it completely depends on what the parents consider elements of their culture, that is worth passing on to their kids.  

having said all that, i do understand a certain pressure for kids to fit in and identify with the majority. after all they are children.  growing up is all about resisting that when it's in their better interest and to grow internally. looks like this guy's parents did a fine job in raising a wonderful young man.

If he never attended a bhangra/dandia that is fine but atleast he would have seen fliers for such events at his local desi grocery store? It must have been remarkable circumstances the young man grew up in that he never came across the word bhangra until he attended that desi gathering at the university.

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:57 pm

in many ways this guy sounds like a male version of PN. she used to have similar opinions.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:03 pm

Seva Lamberdar wrote:

In my language (Pahadi), there is a saying for this type of guys who go out of their village or attend a good school in English medium etc. and then they start criticising and putting down unnecessarily their own culture, language and customs etc.,
"desi khota thane jayee aaya" ... "the local ass has been to the police station (to deliver goods for the police chief)."
It's one thing to blend in or not blend in, but another to whine, criticize and be sore about the ones they can't fit in with. Attitude matters.

Edit: I went through some secondary essays for med school admissions. One of the common questions for most colleges was the diversity question. Students need to convince that they can adapt to any kind of situation, are interested in learning new things and can get along fine with any type of diverse group. That's a huge thing! Seems like no whiners are encouraged or appreciated.

Last edited by Kinnera on Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:07 pm

nevada wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

If he never attended a bhangra/dandia that is fine but atleast he would have seen fliers for such events at his local desi grocery store? It must have been remarkable circumstances the young man grew up in that he never came across the word bhangra until he attended that desi gathering at the university.
Well.. he grew up in Kansas not in New York Smile It would've been perfectly OKAY if he didn't hear about Kuchipudi either, after all he was raised in the US.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:13 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
nevada wrote:
Well.. he grew up in Kansas not in New York Smile It would've been perfectly OKAY if he didn't hear about Kuchipudi either, after all he was raised in the US.
It's perfectly fine if he didn't hear about Kuchipudi or Bhangra. But when he is exposed to those, he can at least show some interest and learn about them. If he is not interested in doing so, he can at least not whine and complain.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:16 pm

Kinnera wrote:

Edit: I went through some secondary essays for med school admissions. One of the common questions for most colleges was the diversity question. Students need to convince that they can adapt to any kind of situation, are interested in learning new things and can get along fine with any type of diverse group. That's a huge thing! Seems like no whiners are encouraged or appreciated.

Ohhh...you still doing it?... so are you applying for this year? Did you write the essays?

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:18 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
Kinnera wrote:

Ohhh...you still doing it?... so are you applying for this year? Did you write the essays?
Nopes, that was in sep-oct last yr. Why will i write his essays? I went through the questions and gave feedback to his essays.

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:23 pm

Kinnera wrote:
swapna wrote:

Do you even know anything about Indian clubs in universities? Bhangras are as popular as Bharatanatyams (and bharatanatyam fusions) and dandiyas and garbas (both from gujarat).

The second part is your figment of imagination. Not everyone is as twisted as you are.

Edit: oh btw, lehengas are out of fashion now. The south indian half sarees (oni) are the current trend. Fashions keep changing and get recycled.

https://www.google.com/search?q=half+saree&client=firefox-a&hs=D7o&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=sb&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=a3PWU_myAcypyATN3ILYCg&ved=0CD0QsAQ&biw=1920&bih=943
duh! that's precisely what he blogged about.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:26 pm

Kinnera wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
nevada wrote:
It's perfectly fine if he didn't hear about Kuchipudi or Bhangra. But when he is exposed to those, he can at least show some interest and learn about them. If he is not interested in doing so, he can at least not whine and complain.

You think this guy is whining too?
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/education/traversing-two-dcs-from-dunbar-high-to-georgetown-university/2014/07/27/1409875a-1376-11e4-9285-4243a40ddc97_story.html

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:32 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
swapna wrote:

duh! that's precisely what he blogged about.
So why is it such a problem? Students like what's enjoyable and what's easy to learn to do it themselves. Bhangras are popular because they are so energizing and fun. Bharatanatyam fusions are more popular than the classical numbers because they find fusions more enjoyable than classical. Dandias and garbas are popular because the steps are easy and anyone can learn them and dance. It's a group thing too and so all the more fun. Students growing up here don't have the north indian-south indian differences or biases unless they learn it at home from their parents.

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:33 pm

Kinnera wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:

It's one thing to blend in or not blend in, but another to whine, criticize and be sore about the ones they can't fit in with. Attitude matters.

You think he got into UC Irvine without going through similar rigmarole? This routine starts as early as in the 8th grade, isn't it?

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:37 pm

Kinnera wrote:Students growing up here don't have the north indian-south indian differences or biases unless they learn it at home from their parents.

are students growing up here blind, deaf, devoid of taste buds, and so totally brainless as to be unable to discern differences between languages, accents, differences between musical styles, clothes etc?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:38 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
nevada wrote:

You think this guy is whining too?
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/education/traversing-two-dcs-from-dunbar-high-to-georgetown-university/2014/07/27/1409875a-1376-11e4-9285-4243a40ddc97_story.html
Of course not! He is not whining. Colleges love such guys. He is positive, he is taking up the challenges on his stride and trying to face them bravely. He's working hard and putting in the effort instead of whining and complaining. He's is going to survive and succeed.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:46 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Kinnera wrote:Students growing up here don't have the north indian-south indian differences or biases unless they learn it at home from their parents.

are students growing up here blind, deaf, devoid of taste buds, and so totally brainless as to be unable to discern differences between languages, accents, differences between musical styles, clothes etc?
differences=intolerance. the ni vs si feeling like we see here on such. i don't think they even know or care what constitutes north indian states and what constitutes south indian states and then polarize themselves and start hating each other. Unless the elders pollute their minds, they'll be fine.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:50 pm

Kinnera wrote:
So why is it such a problem? Students like what's enjoyable and what's easy to learn to do it themselves. Bhangras are popular because they are so energizing and fun. Bharatanatyam fusions are more popular than the classical numbers because they find fusions more enjoyable than classical. Dandias and garbas are popular because the steps are easy and anyone can learn them and dance. It's a group thing too and so all the more fun. Students growing up here don't have the north indian-south indian differences or biases unless they learn it at home from their parents.

They all know the broad differences. However, they dont argue and argue and recycle and recycle nor do they try to claim superiority over one another.

The parents tell their daughter the differences and who they should "associate with", with built-in hidden message of racial/linguistic differences. They are worried their daughter might bring home a UP Naarthie or a dark Tamilian.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:52 pm

Kinnera wrote:

They all know the broad differences. However, they dont argue and argue and recycle and recycle nor do they try to claim superiority over one another.

The parents tell their daughter the differences and who they should "associate with", with built-in hidden message of racial/linguistic differences. They are worried their daughter might bring home a UP Naarthie or a dark Tamilian.
Yeah, it's the parents who do it. else, kids don't know and don't care about the north indian-south indian crap.

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:01 pm

Kinnera wrote:

I once had a Sardarji neighbor who had a big argument with other Sardarjis at a local gurdwara. A week later my neighbor received a long small font letter accusing him of everything under the Sun, with a few choice Punjabi abuses perfectly transliterated thrown in. They made room for a few inventive abuses too, and one of them was -- your daughter goes out with Madarasies. The guy was laughing his head off and he showed me those parts of that letter. The letter was anonymously mailed from Denever, CO.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:41 pm

ofcourse its everyone's choice to decide what offends them and what doesnt. however, going through life looking at every turn to find something that offends their delicate sensibilities belies a certain type of personality. this kid seems to that hypersensitive type.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:42 pm

Kinnera wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

differences=intolerance. the ni vs si feeling like we see here on such. i don't think they even know or care what constitutes north indian states and what constitutes south indian states and then polarize themselves and start hating each other. Unless the elders pollute their minds, they'll be fine.
>>> +1.  I would add that if these are kids raised here and are looking at narrower and narrower prejudicial parameters to define themselves, they are missing out on the broad identity this country gives. The parents do play a major role in this from what I  have seen locally.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:48 pm

Kris wrote:
>>> +1.  I would add that if these are kids raised here and are looking at narrower and narrower prejudicial parameters to define themselves, they are missing out on the broad identity this country gives. The parents do play a major role in this from what I  have seen locally.

the two are not necessarily at odds with each other. here in the east coast, the jewish people are an excellent example of navigating an american identity while steadfastly maintaining a strong jewish cultural identity.

that apart, i am not sure what you mean by narrower and narrower prejudicial parameters. it's very easy to argue that the very notion of an indian identity is diversity at its core. there is no reason to accept bhangra, garba, and bollywood as the defining attributes of the indian part of the indian-american identity. the kid was just objecting to that.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:52 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:

ofcourse its everyone's choice to decide what offends them and what doesnt. however, going through life looking at every turn to find something that offends their delicate sensibilities belies a certain type of personality. this kid seems to that hypersensitive type.

Kansas City is fairly bog with the richer, technological corporations and most Desis living on the 25% of Kansas City that falls on the Kansas Side - Shawnee Mission, Overland Park, Olathe. The temple has been there for 20+ years and is fairly good sized and decently supported. There is that Univ of Kansas - Desi crowd of some 1000 students not too far.

Any clue if this kid is biracial and dad married a superior whitie chick ? That could explain his lack of knowledge of BASIC Desi cultural vocab.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by nevada Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:02 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:

Kansas City is fairly bog with the richer, technological corporations and most Desis living on the 25% of Kansas City that falls on the Kansas Side - Shawnee Mission, Overland Park, Olathe. The temple has been there for 20+ years and is fairly good sized and decently supported. There is that Univ of Kansas - Desi crowd of some 1000 students not too far.

Any clue if this kid is biracial and dad married a superior whitie chick ? That could explain his lack of knowledge of BASIC Desi cultural vocab.

Nope. His mom is Telugu, dad is from Bangalore.

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next