Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Did Brown really provide yeoman service to Telugu? (Telugu content)

2 posters

Go down

Did Brown really provide yeoman service to Telugu?  (Telugu content) Empty Did Brown really provide yeoman service to Telugu? (Telugu content)

Post by indophile Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:19 am

Contrary to popular thinking, the answer is a definite NO. See the highly convincing article by Prof. Velcheru Narayanarao and Parachuri Srinivas at the link below. Dr. Narayanarao has been a Professor and Chairman of Telugu at the University of Wisconsin in Madison, WI for the last 30+ years.

http://eemaata.com/em/issues/201405/3785.html

indophile

Back to top Go down

Did Brown really provide yeoman service to Telugu?  (Telugu content) Empty Re: Did Brown really provide yeoman service to Telugu? (Telugu content)

Post by nevada Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:39 pm

Good article though a bit long. In my intermediate Telugu there was a lesson about Brown. His depth of Telugu knowledge(a dictionary exists in his name afterall!), his love of Telugu, etc seemed a bit fairy-tale like to me even back then. So it seems that a fair bit of exaggeration was involved propelling him to an exalted status that he was perhaps undeserving of. This speaks volumes of his own hunt for glory as well as Indians' tendency to bow before people in power. 
Nevertheless, I still have a positive opinion of him overall. He is way better than those other Sahibs who looted and plundered without doing anything positive for India.

nevada

Back to top Go down