Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

for rashmun: t-h-e fusion and synthesis in penn masala's a cappella music

3 posters

Go down

for rashmun: t-h-e fusion and synthesis in penn masala's a cappella music  Empty for rashmun: t-h-e fusion and synthesis in penn masala's a cappella music

Post by michelle2 Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:44 am

this is a fusion of thamizh, hindi, and english in penn masala's a cappella music. it's not my favourite penn masala piece by far, and i don't care for the group's performance style in this one; still, it's notable for the snatch of semi-classical (?) thamizh music at 1:44. 

the thamizh phrase "alai pAyudhae" means "the waves flow swiftly by-ae" or something similar, most likely, a metaphor. (thamizhars, correct or amend that.)

michelle2

Back to top Go down

for rashmun: t-h-e fusion and synthesis in penn masala's a cappella music  Empty Re: for rashmun: t-h-e fusion and synthesis in penn masala's a cappella music

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:16 am

alai payudhe is originally a krithi composed in the raga kAnadA by UtthukkAdu venkata subbaier, a composer who lived about fifty years prior to the famous musical trinity of thyagaraja, dikshitar, and shyama shastri, but in the same geographical area as the trinity. he composed in tamil, telugu, and sanskrit.

here is a clean canonical carnatic version by mahArAjapuram santhAnam:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKAVDdL3E_I

you can also find many movie adaptations. these kids probably first learned of it from the version in the movie morning raga.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

for rashmun: t-h-e fusion and synthesis in penn masala's a cappella music  Empty Re: for rashmun: t-h-e fusion and synthesis in penn masala's a cappella music

Post by smArtha Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:30 am

pAyudhe => flow or overflow?!!

smArtha

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:34 am

pAyudhal is to leap forward or to flow. it can be used to describe the movement of a leopard, but also a river or ocean waves.

in this song, the composer, subbaier is confessing to lord krishnA (kaNNA) that his mind is constantly wandering and flowing like ocean waves, but thinking about Him is helping him to concentrate and rein it in.

amended: that's probably the hidden meaning, but the literal meaning is that his mind if aflutter because of krishnA's beautiful form and his mellifluous flute.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:49 am

michelle2 wrote:this is a fusion of thamizh, hindi, and english in penn masala's a cappella music. it's not my favourite penn masala piece by far, and i don't care for the group's performance style in this one; still, it's notable for the snatch of semi-classical (?) thamizh music at 1:44. 

the thamizh phrase "alai pAyudhae" means "the waves flow swiftly by-ae" or something similar, most likely, a metaphor. (thamizhars, correct or amend that.)

Very interesting.thanks for the link.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down