Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"16 Mahatma Gandhi quotes that will make you want to change the world"

2 posters

Go down

"16 Mahatma Gandhi quotes that will make you want to change the world" Empty "16 Mahatma Gandhi quotes that will make you want to change the world"

Post by Seva Lamberdar Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:02 am

Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi was born in Porbandar, India, in 1869.

Though in school he was rated as only "good at English, fair in Arithmetic and weak in Geography," he would go on to become a lawyer and spend twenty years in South Africa before returning to a still-colonial India.

There he led the Indian independence movement, which culminated to the Indian Independence Act of 1947. He was assassinated in 1948.

His philosophy of satyagraha — or mass non-violent protest — would become a tool of oppressed people around the world, inspiring the likes of Nelson Mandela and Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

For this we call him Mahatma, or great soul.

On nonviolence:
"Victory attained by violence is tantamount to a defeat, for it is momentary."

On religion:
"In reality there are as many religions as there are individuals."

On practicing law:
"I had learnt the true practice of law. I had learnt to find out the better side of human nature and to enter men's hearts. I realized the true function of a lawyer was to unite parties riven asunder."

On the role of the press:
"One of the objects of a newspaper is to understand popular feeling and to give expression to it; another is to arouse among the people certain desirable sentiments; and the third is fearlessly to expose popular defects."

On violence:
"I came in contact with every known Indian anarchist in London. Their bravery impressed me, but I felt that their zeal was misguided. I felt that violence was no remedy for India's ills, and that her civilisation required the use of a different and higher weapon for self-protection."

On his conscience:
"The only tyrant I accept in this world is the 'still small voice' within me. And even though I have to face the prospect of being a minority of one, I humbly believe I have the courage to be in such a hopeless minority."

On his reputation:
"I have been known as a crank, faddist, madman. Evidently the reputation is well deserved. For wherever I go, I draw to myself cranks, faddists, and madmen."

On his attitude:
"A man of truth must also be a man of care."

On hatred:
"'Hate the sin and not the sinner' is a precept which, though easy enough to understand, is rarely practiced, and that is why the poison of hatred spreads in the world."

On his religious practice:
"I worship God as Truth only. I have not yet found Him, but I am seeking after Him."

On certainty:
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err."

On religious violence:
"Religions are different roads converging to the same point. What does it matter that we take different road, so long as we reach the same goal. Wherein is the cause for quarreling?"

On resistance:
"An unjust law is itself a species of violence. Arrest for its breach is more so. Now the law of nonviolence says that violence should be resisted not by counter-violence but by nonviolence. This I do by breaking the law and by peacefully submitting to arrest and imprisonment."

On truth:
"Truth never damages a cause that is just."

On faith:
"You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty."

On what he left:
"My life is my message."

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/16-Mahatma-Gandhi-quotes-that-will-make-you-want-to-change-the-world/articleshow/40573170.cms
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

"16 Mahatma Gandhi quotes that will make you want to change the world" Empty Re: "16 Mahatma Gandhi quotes that will make you want to change the world"

Post by Maria S Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:57 am

Good Morning dear Seva!

Nice to read the quotes. This is my fav Gandhiji quote:
What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or in the holy name of liberty or democracy?” 
~ Mahatma Gandhi

And on a much lighter note..came across this funny pun recently (think, it’s  been around!) It’s really Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!

“Mahatma Gandhi, as you know, walked barefoot most of the time, which produced an impressive set of calluses on his feet. He also ate very little, which made him rather frail and with his odd diet, he suffered from bad breath. This made him ...(Oh, man, this is so bad, it's good).. A super calloused fragile mystic hexed by halitosis!”

In case there are any kids here..who have no idea, what I am talking about:

Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

"16 Mahatma Gandhi quotes that will make you want to change the world" Empty Re: "16 Mahatma Gandhi quotes that will make you want to change the world"

Post by Seva Lamberdar Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:43 pm

Maria S wrote:Good Morning dear Seva!

Nice to read the quotes. This is my fav Gandhiji quote:
What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or in the holy name of liberty or democracy?” 
~ Mahatma Gandhi

And on a much lighter note..came across this funny pun recently (think, it’s  been around!) It’s really Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!

“Mahatma Gandhi, as you know, walked barefoot most of the time, which produced an impressive set of calluses on his feet. He also ate very little, which made him rather frail and with his odd diet, he suffered from bad breath. This made him ...(Oh, man, this is so bad, it's good).. A super calloused fragile mystic hexed by halitosis!”

In case there are any kids here..who have no idea, what I am talking about:

Good afternoon dear Maria.

Nice quote you posted from Gandhi. He truly was an amazing man and kept on going in his mission to uplift the Indians socially and politically against astronomical odds, even while having poor health (including bad breath and sore feet etc. probably) due to his choice to live under bad / poor conditions like most of his countrymen.  

Interesting observation also about the  "A super calloused fragile mystic hexed by halitosis!”  ... I do remember the movie scene involving
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious! Thanks for posting the Youtube link.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down