Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

States that pay lowest Doc salaries

4 posters

Go down

States that pay lowest Doc salaries Empty States that pay lowest Doc salaries

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:03 am

1. District of Columbia – $135,990
2. Oklahoma – $139,800
3. Nebraska – $147,820
4. Vermont – $154,910
5. Massachusetts – $156,010
6. Michigan – $165,310
7. Rhode Island – $167,310
8. Maryland – $167,670
9. North Carolina – $168,670
10. Arkansas – $168,850

National average is around 191K. Better to be a Street Looter than a Doctor when it comes to making money (or even a code coolie).

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

States that pay lowest Doc salaries Empty Re: States that pay lowest Doc salaries

Post by Kris Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:56 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
1.    District of Columbia – $135,990
2.    Oklahoma – $139,800
3.    Nebraska – $147,820
4.    Vermont – $154,910
5.    Massachusetts – $156,010
6.    Michigan – $165,310
7.    Rhode Island – $167,310
8.    Maryland – $167,670
9.    North Carolina – $168,670
10.    Arkansas – $168,850

National average is around 191K. Better to be a Street Looter than a Doctor when it comes to making money (or even a code coolie).

>>>They will pay on their student loans forever. Someone needs to show this to the indian parents who are obsessive about pushing their kids into medicine.

Kris

Back to top Go down

States that pay lowest Doc salaries Empty Re: States that pay lowest Doc salaries

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:06 pm

4.    Vermont – $154,910

surprised to find MA on that list which makes me think this survey is phoney.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:07 pm

where is this data from?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:08 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
4.    Vermont – $154,910

surprised to find MA on that list which makes me think this survey is phoney.

MA seems rather low. Wonder if the overall averaging includes salaries during their residencies which would pull it down. Overall though,  my understanding is that the gap between this industry and other industries seem to narrowed considerably. Even at 250K, given the amount of student loans these guys have by the time they become full fledged doctors, the bloom is off the rose economically speaking.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:13 pm

1. A passion for the profession rather than the lure of the money could be a forceful reason to study medicine.

2. Thanks to the philanthropists and businesses, there are excellent scholarships out there. If the student is lucky enough, he/she can come out of med school with minimal loans.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:52 pm

Kinnera wrote:1. A passion for the profession rather than the lure of the money could be a forceful reason to study medicine.

2. Thanks to the philanthropists and businesses, there are excellent scholarships out there. If the student is lucky enough, he/she can come out of med school with minimal loans.

#1 may be the silver lining in the cloud. You will end up with dedicated professionals.

#2: To some extent, the numbers in the study may be skewed because of the wages during the residency stage. I understand they get paid peanuts during that period. Also, there is a squeeze now from what I am hearing from friends in the industry. The guys who had it good were the ones who went to schools in india. I don't know if this is till continuing.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:08 pm

Kris wrote:
Kinnera wrote:1. A passion for the profession rather than the lure of the money could be a forceful reason to study medicine.

#1 may be the silver lining in the cloud. You will end up with dedicated professionals.

#2: To some extent, the numbers in the study may be skewed because of the wages during the residency stage. I understand they get paid peanuts during that period. Also, there is a squeeze now from what I am hearing from friends in the industry. The guys who had it good were the ones who went to schools in india. I don't know if this is till continuing.
I think it's continuing. I see Manipal med college students doing their residencies here. I also see a lot of abcd kids going to Caribbean to do medicine there for 2 yrs and come back to do clinicals here. I hope things will be made tougher.

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:11 pm

Kris

Medical graduates from US are doing very well financially.   As in any profession, people complain.  Professionally doctors are on top of the heap.  

Small groups of other professions (ex: silicon valley programmers) may do better than doctors but if you look at a whole profession, they are it.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:28 pm

truthbetold wrote:Kris

Medical graduates from US are doing very well financially.   As in any profession, people complain.  Professionally doctors are on top of the heap.  

Small groups of other professions (ex: silicon valley programmers) may do better than doctors but if you look at a whole profession, they are it.

>>> There are certain skill sets that get bigger bucks in the market, but I meant the gap is narrowing with many other professions as well.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:36 pm

medicine seems like a default career for indian american kids. not sure why.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:54 pm

"Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value."
— Albert Einstein

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:20 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:"Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value."
— Albert Einstein
 TW, stop buying into all this. There is no need for you to go thru a sex operation at this stage. You are fine as is. Einstein was wrong about many things.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:26 pm

Kris wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:"Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value."
— Albert Einstein
 TW, stop buying into all this. There is no need for you to go thru a sex operation at this stage. You are fine as is. Einstein was wrong about many things.

lol, i know right. all quotes are about men.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:05 pm

The survey is from a medical news report/publication.

Yes.. these sneaky Gods include resident salaries in averaging. There are about 75,000 residents at any given time.

Kinny is still in the KG mode in medicine. Manipal and Carribean students to do "rotations" here - and that is another gimmick money is buying. Notice where they do their "rotations."  They dont do residencies automatically. a handful of MBBS guys do end up in top residencies - VERY FEW among the 6000 foreign residents are picked for these (annually).  The first and preferred positions in preferred teaching hospitals still go to US graduates. A number of med schools have come up in recent years - most of them state supported. That means the fewer phoren graduates will end up in residencies, and they are likely to end up in places that no americans would go.

BTW, most MBBS are "great and high status" only among the Indians. They are second class "foreign med grads" among their peers. If only the AMA stops the practice of giving MBBS folks "automatic" MD, the ego of these MBBS will come crashing down. why not give them an DNP or a DO degree or just let them be M B B S. who gives a free degree without education. This is like "passing out" courses for credit at Colorado technical Institute.

Oh...Kinny talks about idealism and "service minded"  all those idealism evaporates by the time they reach the 3rd year...when they go through rotations and see how nasty, arrogant, entitled most patients feel.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:02 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:The survey is from a medical news report/publication.

Yes.. these sneaky Gods include resident salaries in averaging. There are about 75,000 residents at any given time.

Kinny is still in the KG mode in medicine. Manipal and Carribean students to do "rotations" here - and that is another gimmick money is buying. Notice where they do their "rotations."  They dont do residencies automatically. a handful of MBBS guys do end up in top residencies - VERY FEW among the 6000 foreign residents are picked for these (annually).  The first and preferred positions in preferred teaching hospitals still go to US graduates. A number of med schools have come up in recent years - most of them state supported. That means the fewer phoren graduates will end up in residencies, and they are likely to end up in places that no americans would go.

BTW, most MBBS are "great and high status" only among the Indians. They are second class "foreign med grads" among their peers. If only the AMA stops the practice of giving MBBS folks "automatic" MD, the ego of these MBBS will come crashing down. why not give them an DNP or a DO degree or just let them be M B B S. who gives a free degree without education. This is like "passing out" courses for credit at Colorado technical Institute.

Oh...Kinny talks about idealism and "service minded"  all those idealism evaporates by the time they reach the 3rd year...when they go through rotations and see how nasty, arrogant, entitled most patients feel.

I think Kinnera was responding to my statement about indian medical grads coming here. Apparently, there is a trend of indian American students going to Manipal and West Indies, but I don't think she was necessarily saying that is a good thing. I was referring to the guys who came here back in the day. I have friends who went to jipmer. Hey, now that I think about it, one family was trying to set me up with their daughter who had gone to med school. I could have retired at 40. Damn, this is always the case with me..

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:28 am

Kris wrote:
Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:The survey is from a medical news report/publication.

I think Kinnera was responding to my statement about indian medical grads coming here. Apparently, there is a trend of indian American students going to Manipal and West Indies, but I don't think she was necessarily saying that is a good thing. I was referring to the guys who came here back in the day. I have friends who went to jipmer. Hey, now that I think about it, one family was trying to set me up with their daughter who had gone to med school. I could have retired at 40. Damn, this is always the case with me..

I was offered either of his two daughters by an Army maj general. he had 2 houses in Vizag. Whichever one I married, I would have got one of the houses...Now...was he a visionary or what...he foresaw telengana separation.

Of course, I could have offered to marry both...But then I have never been a good stock picker.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down