Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Curry leaves

+11
Propagandhi711
b_A
truthbetold
Kris
Maria S
confuzzled dude
MaxEntropy_Man
Merlot Daruwala
FluteHolder
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
seven
15 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Curry leaves Empty Curry leaves

Post by seven Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:46 pm

And South Indians. What's with them? Why do they add curry leaves in everything?
Kadhai paneer and even chicken curry Surprised

Disclaimer: I like meethi neem ki patti aka curry leaf.

seven

Back to top Go down

Curry leaves Empty Re: Curry leaves

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:48 am

seven wrote:And South Indians. What's with them? Why do they add curry leaves in everything?

it has a lot of iron, smells great and also good for hair growth...

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:13 am

http://www.thehealthsite.com/diseases-conditions/10-health-benefits-of-kadi-patta-or-curry-leaves-p214/

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:34 am

seven wrote:And South Indians. What's with them? Why do they add curry leaves in everything?

To avenge the paneer masala dosa.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:40 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:

i don't think indians need more hair.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:51 am

karivepaku podi is my favorite.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:20 am

Hello Babe!

A few nutrition benefits aside, I add curry leaves just for the aroma and flavor! It does enhance the smell and taste of any Indian prep.

I do think the "freshness" of curry leaves makes a difference. Have curry leaf plants (karivepillai)in our home, they are easy to take care, except in the winter, have to bring them indoors.

Hope all is well with you. Take care.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:42 am

i like kadhi patta aka meetha neem aka curry leaves too.

I add it in kadhi, kaddu ki sabzi, and upma.

Back to top Go down

Post by seven Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:57 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:i like kadhi patta aka meetha neem aka curry leaves too.

Kaddu ka sabzi nahi? :p

Is that an MP thing- khatta dahi meetha neem.

I like it in kadhi too.

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by seven Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:58 pm

Merlot Daruwala wrote:

To avenge the paneer masala dosa.

Lol touchè Smile)

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by seven Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:00 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:

i don't think indians need more hair.

Lol

I watched a show about the real beauty n beast. Some French king Henry II experimented with this monster man who had hair on his face.
They also showed this guy from Mexico who is born with that condition. Thick dark black hair all over his face.
It's scary really.

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by seven Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:08 pm

Maria S wrote:Hello Babe!

A few nutrition benefits aside, I add curry leaves just for the aroma and flavor! It does enhance the smell and taste of any Indian prep.

I do think the "freshness" of curry leaves makes a difference. Have curry leaf plants (karivepillai)in our home, they are easy to take care, except in the winter, have to bring them indoors.

I have one too in a pot. Agree with you on the aroma n freshness. I was going start 'what did PN have for dinner' thread. Instead I wrote about Sth I ate.

All is well. Moved into our new house, new job. Life's good. My fav time if the year is here. Almost. Loving it. Hru Smile
I saw your tribute to your DH. so inspiring Smile

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:07 pm

seven wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:i like kadhi patta aka meetha neem aka curry leaves too.

Kaddu ka sabzi nahi? :p

Is that an MP thing- khatta dahi meetha neem.

I like it in kadhi too.

well, the locals called it kadhi patta, guess that's the marathi influence. so meetha neem must come from my mom. so could be UP or rajasthani influence. Friends called it meetha neem as well, so am leaning towards rajasthani. don't tell me u call it meethi neem. never heard that usage.

regarding dahi, indo explained it the other day. punjus call it khatti, while the rest call it khatta. Are you from Noida?

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:07 pm

You referring the yogurt? We call it 'dheim' or 'dhehim'.

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by seven Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:32 pm

FluteHolder wrote:You referring the yogurt? We call it 'dheim' or 'dhehim'.
in which language ?
it's mosaru, tayir or perugu. no?

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:45 pm

In our language (Sourashtra), it comes from 'dhahi/dahi' I guess. (More Marathi Influence).

In Tamizh it is called 'Thayir'  - Yogurt, and 'More' - 'Buttermilk' 

In Telugu it is called 'Perugu' (yogurt).

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:50 pm

FluteHolder wrote:In our language (Sourashtra), it comes from 'dhahi/dahi' I guess. (More Marathi Influence).

In Tamizh it is called 'Thayir'  - Yogurt, and 'More' - 'Buttermilk' 

In Telugu it is called 'Perugu' (yogurt).

Ohhhh....nee avanaa nee.....Wink

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:48 am

seven wrote:

I have one too in a pot. Agree with you on the aroma n freshness. I was going start 'what did PN have for dinner' thread. Instead I wrote about Sth I ate.

All is well. Moved into our new house, new job. Life's good. My fav time if the year is here. Almost. Loving it. Hru Smile

>>>Congratulations on the new house and job. Let s know how the curry plant turns out. My cousin in LA has a couple of trees going, but the sapling he gave us didn't work out for us. I thought maybe even the Bay area's weather was on the cold side. The one thing we didn't do is to move the plant (pot) indoors during the winter months. I like it in certain dishes but is not a must have. I do like the aroma of lemon grass in thai food.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:32 pm

i really like curry leaves. but that's because i am a madrasi idiot (i think -- which i seldom do). but my acquaintance with curry leaves goes back to the time i had had hyderabadi biryani in hotal nagarjuna (brigade road) in bangalore. the curry leaves and the tenderest mutton in the biryani (best goat meat you get in india, i am convinced, for i tried in swati again, is in karnataka) blew me totally over. not to mention the thin onion raita with curry leaves to pour into your biryani -- oooh. i don't want awadhi ghee in my biryani -- awadhi biryani is rottten ghee shit (i am now convinced). but i say that because i am a madrasi idiot, he he. HK taught me how to make curry leaves chutney (that, again, i had tasted in nagarjuna). that chutney is repeated in my house but only after coriander chutney, he he. coriander chutney rocks! to be honest we made curry leaves chutney twice and then forget about it, he he. HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:56 pm

vod happy new year, MI?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:02 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:vod happy new year, MI?

happy new year 2014. what is MI?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:04 pm

madrasi_idiot wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:vod happy new year, MI?

happy new year 2014. what is MI?

MI = Madrasi Idiot.

Back to top Go down

Post by seven Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:10 pm

madrasi_idiot wrote:i really like curry leaves. but that's because i am a madrasi idiot (i think -- which i seldom do). but my acquaintance with curry leaves goes back to the time i had had hyderabadi biryani in hotal nagarjuna (brigade road) in bangalore. the curry leaves and the tenderest mutton in the biryani (best goat meat you get in india, i am convinced, for i tried in swati again, is in karnataka) blew me totally over. not to mention the thin onion raita with curry leaves to pour into your biryani -- oooh. i don't want awadhi ghee in my biryani -- awadhi biryani is rottten ghee shit (i am now convinced). but i say that because i am a madrasi idiot, he he. HK taught me how to make curry leaves chutney (that, again, i had tasted in nagarjuna). that chutney is repeated in my house but only after coriander chutney, he he. coriander chutney rocks! to be honest we made curry leaves chutney twice and then forget about it, he he. HAPPY NEW YEAR!

A very happy birthday to you too, madrasi!
It is customary to eat neem flower on New Year's Day. Maybe they serve chutneys at Nagarjuna.
This reminds me, Saif Ali Khan came in my dream last night. We were at CCD having coffee as he admitted to a murder he committed.
Biryani has curry leaves in it so you can digest the big animal with all the iron you get from the leaves.
Once again, happy pongal!

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by seven Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:19 pm

Kris wrote:
seven wrote:

>>>Congratulations on the new house and job. Let s know how the curry plant turns out. My cousin in LA has a couple of trees going, but the sapling he gave us didn't work out for us. I thought maybe even the Bay area's weather was on the cold side. The one thing we didn't do is to move the plant (pot) indoors during the winter months. I like it in certain dishes but is not a must have. I do like the aroma of lemon grass in thai food.

I put mine on the patio which got very little morning sun. I don't think it requires a lot of sunlight. I love basil leaves in Thai curries. Maybe I'll cook red Thai curry for dinner tonight. Been a while I cooked sth good.
We had a curry leaf tree in our backyard along with cilantro, green chillies, tomatoes, cauliflower, cabbage, brinjal, corn, okra.
We have a very small yard in our new house and I plan to do some kitchen gardening. Or flowers maybe. I can't do all this by myself.

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:25 pm

kris

You have to bring it in by early winter.  I live in much colder area than you but we never had problems. So try it again .

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:57 pm

madrasi_idiot wrote:i really like curry leaves. but that's because i am a madrasi idiot (i think -- which i seldom do). but my acquaintance with curry leaves goes back to the time i had had hyderabadi biryani in hotal nagarjuna (brigade road) in bangalore.

No saar, you're mistaken. No curry leaves are added in Nagarjuna's biryani. It's added to most South Indian mutton curries - spl if the gravy is coconut based - though.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:58 pm

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
madrasi_idiot wrote:i really like curry leaves. but that's because i am a madrasi idiot (i think -- which i seldom do). but my acquaintance with curry leaves goes back to the time i had had hyderabadi biryani in hotal nagarjuna (brigade road) in bangalore.

No saar, you're mistaken. No curry leaves are added in Nagarjuna's biryani. It's added to most South Indian mutton curries - spl if the gravy is coconut based - though.

what continent are you in, daruwala ji?

Back to top Go down

Post by b_A Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:17 pm

madrasi_idiot wrote:i really like curry leaves. but that's because i am a madrasi idiot (i think -- which i seldom do). but my acquaintance with curry leaves goes back to the time i had had hyderabadi biryani in hotal nagarjuna (brigade road) in bangalore. the curry leaves and the tenderest mutton in the biryani (best goat meat you get in india, i am convinced, for i tried in swati again, is in karnataka) blew me totally over. not to mention the thin onion raita with curry leaves to pour into your biryani -- oooh. i don't want awadhi ghee in my biryani -- awadhi biryani is rottten ghee shit (i am now convinced). but i say that because i am a madrasi idiot, he he. HK taught me how to make curry leaves chutney (that, again, i had tasted in nagarjuna). that chutney is repeated in my house but only after coriander chutney, he he. coriander chutney rocks! to be honest we made curry leaves chutney twice and then forget about it, he he. HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Is that a typo ?

b_A

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:18 pm

oops. i meant to post it in my normal US-time handle, but slipped up.

AS
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:24 pm

Merlot Daruwala wrote:oops. i meant to post it in my normal US-time handle, but slipped up.

AS

caught ya!!! bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:37 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:oops. i meant to post it in my normal US-time handle, but slipped up.

AS

caught ya!!! bounce

oh and i thought i could fool all the people all the time. didn't account for sharp-eyed holmesian you.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by b_A Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:42 pm

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:

AS

caught ya!!! bounce

oh and i thought i could fool all the people all the time. didn't account for sharp-eyed holmesian you.

haha ! Stay tuned for the next update.

b_A

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:50 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:

no, there were curry leaves in it for i just double checked with the missus. same for swati. observe it next time you eat at nagarjuna.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:05 am

truthbetold wrote:kris

You have to bring it in by early winter.  I live in much colder area than you but we never had problems. So try it again .

>>>TBT,

It isn't the weather then, if you are able to grow it.  I will have to check with my wife as to what she did. I know she likes to use it at least occasionally since she asks me to pick it from the Indian store every so often.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:08 am

b_A wrote:

Is that a typo ?
no it is not a typo. it is obvious i am HK. i was being flippant. but i am not that killikilli. i recall you mentioning somewhere that it was me. you are right only half the time i'd reckon.

also nagarjuna is on residency road (not brigade road). that was a typo.

also, the highly rated paradise biryani of hyderabad royally (royally as in royally nizam) SUCKS! i had it last april. the haleem of pista house, hyd., is awesome! they deliver to mumbai, delhi, middle east in vacuum packed containers.

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:23 am

madrasi_idiot wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:

no, there were curry leaves in it for i just double checked with the missus. same for swati. observe it next time you eat at nagarjuna.

Impossible. Could it be a case of mistaken identity? Surrounded by curry leaves in everything else, maybe the mind mistook a bay leaf in the biryani for a curry leaf?? Alternatively, you might have been served some kind of a masala-bhath which does have a mustard+chana dal+curry leaf seasoning.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:40 am

madrasi_idiot wrote: the haleem of pista house, hyd., is awesome! they deliver to mumbai, delhi, middle east in vacuum packed containers.

Ya, it's absolutely delicious. Thanks for this reminder. I'll place an order this weekend.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:41 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
madrasi_idiot wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:

Impossible. Could it be a case of mistaken identity? Surrounded by curry leaves in everything else, maybe the mind mistook a bay leaf in the biryani for a curry leaf?? Alternatively, you might have been served some kind of a masala-bhath which does have a mustard+chana dal+curry leaf seasoning.

This needs to be resolved, like today. HK, you need to send older to have nagarjuna biryani and come back with picture proof, like today!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:17 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
madrasi_idiot wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:

bay leaf for a curry leaf? listen, i may be an idiot but i am not crazy, ok? tw is right. i'll have older do a recce this weekend. if you lose ill send you the benbe masala dose bill (in my next trip) to you.

Last edited by madrasi_idiot on Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:27 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:20 am

you lost agent. read this: http://thekavicliving.weebly.com/cooking/chicken-biriyani-its-finger-licking-good

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:12 am

just called nagajuna. they confirmed they don't use curry leaves in their biryani. i must be recalling the flavour from the raita (which i customarily mix with the biryani). case closed.

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:29 am

shoot the guy that said biryani has curry leaves. shoot him dead in the head and leave him by the side of the road. leave the gun, take the canoli

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:37 am

curry leaf is one of those great ingredients....last wednesday before my "trip" I made some miriyala rasam which calls for lots of curry leaves added to the rasam while it's boiling. I made the first batch without the leaves and it tasted good but not great. next batch I made with 18-20 leaves and it elevated to greatness normally reserved for andhra chicken curry. even my kid wanted it as soup which is high praise indeed. 

also made some chicken liver fry with tons of curry leaves and it was a major hit.

you dont diss curry leaves

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:08 am

madrasi_idiot wrote:just called nagajuna. they confirmed they don't use curry leaves in their biryani. i must be recalling the flavour from the raita (which i customarily mix with the biryani). case closed.

lol, trust you to do that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:17 am

Babe,

Thanks and best wishes! 

Mr. HK,

Nice to see you again in this thread..the nice aroma of curry leaves - heralding your return! 

Mr. DUT,

You are right..as much as creativity in cooking is cool..some things just don't work well..the curry leaves can turn "royal" biriyani into ordinary masala gravy mix-rice!

In "its right place" (!) curry leaves enhance everything..veg dishes *(without curry leaves, rasam is just too bland) and non veg dishes (esp. chicken and mutton).

When Dad can impress a young child with cooking..now that rating is golden-quite high:)
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:41 am

Propagandhi711 wrote:shoot the guy that said biryani has curry leaves. shoot him dead in the head and leave him by the side of the road. leave the gun, take the canoli
dude, don't behave like a tamilian purist who will insist that dosa be spelled dosai. i have learnt, late in life, that biryani is one of the most grossly overrated indian dishes. let me share my opinion. the first key to a good biryani is to clean the mutton (preferably with scissors). very few restaurants do this. second, your mutton must be soft (notwithstanding the fact that fatty pieces you need to make flavourful biryani). you should be able to break the mutton with your fingers into morsels and be able to mix it with rice. if you are eating the rice separately and the mutton separately then stop right there for you are wasting money and time. i like the chello kebab (indianized iranian dish that i speak of) more now. it's rice with melted butter, a fried egg on the rice and kebabs by the side. mix and eat -- lovely. now in a biryani you have to spice up the rice or else it is just fried mutton and rice. it should absorb flavours of the mutton (which it will) AND the marinade AND the ghee. adding curry leaves to the masala is par for the course. i stopped enjoying biryani the day i realized that i was always eating it with raita poured into the rice. i know you won't like this but halved potatoes help! if you can't break the mutton into morsels, break the spiced up potatoes. my last few trysts with biryani sourced from top end eateries in kolkata was a disaster -- i avoided raita and i felt like i was eating mutton with rice.  nagarjuna and swati serve, unlike in the north, a red curry as an accompaniment to their biryanis. i avoid it but it has a curry leaf tadka (i know because the guy at nagarjuna told me today -- sir, we add curry leaves only to the dals, curries, kebabs and other dishes but not biryanis). how do you eat your biryani? *curious* with raita, red gravy, or nothing?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:42 am

Maria S wrote:Babe,

Thanks and best wishes! 

Mr. HK,

Nice to see you again in this thread..the nice aroma of curry leaves - heralding your return! 

Mr. DUT,

You are right..as much as creativity in cooking is cool..some things just don't work well..the curry leaves can turn "royal" biriyani into ordinary masala gravy mix-rice!

In "its right place" (!) curry leaves enhance everything..veg dishes *(without curry leaves, rasam is just too bland) and non veg dishes (esp. chicken and mutton).

When Dad can impress a young child with cooking..now that rating is golden-quite high:)

Hi maria! trust all is well. no, i am a big fan of curry leaves flavour in a biryani. that may be because i am not so exposed to curry leaves in daily food. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:49 am

madrasi_idiot wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:shoot the guy that said biryani has curry leaves. shoot him dead in the head and leave him by the side of the road. leave the gun, take the canoli
dude, don't behave like a tamilian purist who will insist that dosa be spelled dosai. i have learnt, late in life, that biryani is one of the most grossly overrated indian dishes. let me share my opinion. the first key to a good biryani is to clean the mutton (preferably with scissors). very few restaurants do this. second, your mutton must be soft (notwithstanding the fact that fatty pieces you need to make flavourful biryani). you should be able to break the mutton with your fingers into morsels and be able to mix it with rice. if you are eating the rice separately and the mutton separately then stop right there for you are wasting money and time. i like the chello kebab (indianized iranian dish that i speak of) more now. it's rice with melted butter, a fried egg on the rice and kebabs by the side. mix and eat -- lovely. now in a biryani you have to spice up the rice or else it is just fried mutton and rice. it should absorb flavours of the mutton (which it will) AND the marinade AND the ghee. adding curry leaves to the masala is par for the course. i stopped enjoying biryani the day i realized that i was always eating it with raita poured into the rice. i know you won't like this but halved potatoes help! if you can't break the mutton into morsels, break the spiced up potatoes. my last few trysts with biryani sourced from top end eateries in kolkata was a disaster -- i avoided raita and i felt like i was eating mutton with rice.  nagarjuna and swati serve, unlike in the north, a red curry as an accompaniment to their biryanis. i avoid it but it has a curry leaf tadka (i know because the guy at nagarjuna told me today -- sir, we add curry leaves only to the dals, curries, kebabs and other dishes but not biryanis). how do you eat your biryani? *curious* with raita, red gravy, or nothing?

here in amrika they serve it with a chutney like thing, goddamn spicy, and spiced up yogurt.

Back to top Go down

Post by b_A Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:50 am

madrasi_idiot wrote:
b_A wrote:

Is that a typo ?
no it is not a typo. it is obvious i am HK. i was being flippant. but i am not that killikilli. i recall you mentioning somewhere that it was me. you are right only half the time i'd reckon.
actually I am right all the time. Only the validation takes some time sometimes. Some people like you who have nothing to hide, admit right away. Others will go down kicking and screaming, but go down they will.
A question to you as you are a friend of the talented "AS". What do you think prompted him to confess in Sulekha? Boredom? A taunt to people who were not able to figure out? It is not repentance because he continued to do his thing after the confession.

b_A

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:51 am

b_A wrote:
madrasi_idiot wrote:
b_A wrote:

Is that a typo ?
actually I am right all the time. Only the validation takes some time sometimes. Some people like you who have nothing to hide, admit right away. Others will go down kicking and screaming, but go down they will.
A question to you as you are a friend of the talented "AS". What do you think prompted him to confess in Sulekha? Boredom? A taunt to people who were not able to figure out? It is not repentance because he continued to do his thing after the confession.

which confession? was it from my time?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next