Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Looking 3 or 4 generations down the road...

3 posters

Go down

Looking 3 or 4 generations down the road... Empty Looking 3 or 4 generations down the road...

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:29 am

..Immigrants Chinese, Indians, Paksitanis, Koreans come to the West to improve their lives and hopefully, their kids and grand kids...How and what would they feel when they see their grand kids in a 3rd rate menial job or worse..join Jehadi groups?

This may be no different than how desis might feel in India, but immigrants sacrifice a few things like people and culture to achieve better things in their lives. Hence, the pain is likely to be worse.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Looking 3 or 4 generations down the road... Empty Re: Looking 3 or 4 generations down the road...

Post by Guest Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:34 am

I think immigrants' kids feel a stronger need to have an identity, hence they become more fanatic.

Have seen a couple of such characters in close family/friends here. When I just came here, I was sorta shocked to see such fanatics, hindu ones at that. I was like wth I am from india and I don't think like that.

edit: also when in India, didn't think twice about movie scenes where they all celebrated x-mas like it was a national holiday, or hindu characters wearing white gowns for wedding scenes (I mean even Keralite x-ians I know now wear sari for church weddings). Felt normal. After coming here, began questioning all this. Guess religious influences/identities are much stronger here.

Back to top Go down

Looking 3 or 4 generations down the road... Empty Re: Looking 3 or 4 generations down the road...

Post by michelle2 Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:48 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:I mean even Keralite x-ians I know now wear sari for church weddings

the implications of your statement are quite incorrect.

i have never known a syrian christian woman to wear anything other than a sari at her wedding. note: all kerala christians' ancestors were once syrian christians

personal experience: my sister-in-law (my brother's wife), my sister, my wife, my wife's sister, my niece (my sister's daughter) who recently got married in the u.k., all my aunts, and all my female cousins (daughters of my father's and mother's siblings), wore saris at their weddings.

the sari has been the kerala christian woman's standard, everyday clothing since about the mid-1940s; before that, it was the more traditional "chaTTa and muNDu," which covered all of her body except the ankles, arms, and the neck, face, and head, and was always white; unlike the sari, it didn't reveal even a bit of her midriff, nor was it form-fitting. in addition, in church, especially at her wedding, she covered her head also with the free end of her sari.

since the mid-1940s, the kerala christian woman, has nearly always worn an off-white sari made of rich silk at her wedding; the western wedding dress is uncommon, and i've never seen any kerala christian woman in one. i realize that there will be recent cases in which she has worn a western wedding gown, but such cases are uncommon; and she is likely to be relatively less educated and of a family that made its money recently in the middle east.

what you've said above strengthens what i've said here: even today, the kerala christian woman wears a sari at her wedding. in earlier times (before about 1985), that was even more, and nearly always true.

michelle2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:55 pm

michelle2 wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:I mean even Keralite x-ians I know now wear sari for church weddings

i have never known a syrian christian woman to wear anything other than a sari at her wedding. note: all kerala christians' ancestors were once syrian christians

personal experience: my sister-in-law (my brother's wife), my sister, my wife, my wife's sister, my niece (my sister's daughter) who recently got married in the u.k., all my aunts, and all my female cousins (daughters of my father's and mother's siblings), wore saris at their weddings.

the sari has been the kerala christian woman's standard, everyday clothing since about the mid-1940s; before that, it was the more traditional "chaTTa and muNDu," which covered all of her body except the ankles, arms, and the neck, face, and head, and was always white; unlike the sari, it didn't reveal even a bit of her midriff, nor was it form-fitting. in addition, in church, especially at her wedding, she covered her head also with the free end of her sari.

since the mid-1940s, the kerala christian woman, has nearly always worn an off-white sari made of rich silk at her wedding; the western wedding dress is uncommon, and i've never seen any kerala christian woman in one. i realize that there will be recent cases in which she has worn a western wedding gown, but such cases are uncommon; and she is likely to be relatively less educated and of a family that made its money recently in the middle east.

what you've said above strengthens what i've said here: even today, the kerala christian woman wears a sari at her wedding. in earlier times (before about 1985), that was even more, and nearly always true.

*head spins* will read your post later.

Sorry, that was me speaking without proper pauses. I meant

"also when in India, didn't think twice about movie scenes where they all celebrated x-mas like it was a national holiday, or hindu characters wearing white gowns for wedding scenes (I mean even Keralite x-ians, I know now, wear sari for church weddings). Felt normal".

'I know now' = as I learnt later.

Meaning, when I was in india, I thought x-tian brides wore dresses in their weddings. but now I know they wore saris especially keralite ones. I should have guessed it earlier coz all keralites x-ians I knew back in india wore saris pretty traditionally, and not salwar suits like NIs. But in my school, the sisters wore tunics. They later changed it to saris, but I thought that was from the pressure of living in my city, and also coz all other teachers were required to wear saris.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:27 pm

michelle2 wrote:

Now, I have a question. Did the Syrian Christians originally Arabs immigrate to Kerala or convert from the Kerala Brahmins - like the many Goa Christians?

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:34 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
michelle2 wrote:

Now, I have a question. Did the Syrian Christians originally Arabs immigrate to Kerala or convert from the Kerala Brahmins - like the many Goa Christians?
No, they came and then wore sarees for aeration and keeping cool!

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down