Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Obama’s crisis of confidence

2 posters

Go down

Obama’s crisis of confidence Empty Obama’s crisis of confidence

Post by confuzzled dude Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:44 pm

Americans approved of President Obama's decision to launch airstrikes in Iraq and now strongly approve of his plan to expand into Syria the effort to combat the Islamic State.

And yet, Obama's approval rating on foreign policy remains a dismal 34 percent in a new NBC/Wall Street Journal/Annenberg poll released Sunday. That's even as the survey shows Americans approve of Obama's Middle East plan by an overwhelming margin, 66 percent to 22 percent.

So why can't Obama catch a break? Put plainly: People just don't think he'll succeed.

The poll shows a striking lack of confidence when it comes to the situation in the Middle East. About two-thirds of people (68 percent) have "very little" or "just some" confidence in Obama's stated goal of "degrading" and "destroying" the Islamic State. An additional 28 percent say they have "a great deal" or "quite a bit" of confidence in Obama.

This vote of no/little confidence, without a doubt, owes in part to the tough situations in the two Middle Eastern counties the United States has attempted to stabilize over the past decade: Afghanistan and Iraq. Given those experiences, it's not surprising that Americans would be pessimistic about succeeding against the Islamic State.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2014/09/15/obamas-crisis-of-foreign-policy-confidence/?tid=hpModule_f8335a3c-868c-11e2-9d71-f0feafdd1394&hpid=z9

Amazing.. Majority of Americans think we won't succeed in ME yet they overwhelmingly approve of President's plan.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Obama’s crisis of confidence Empty Re: Obama’s crisis of confidence

Post by Hellsangel Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:56 pm

I think you are missing the point of the story, Comrade.

Obama's persistently low approval rating on foreign policy suggests that it's also in large part because people doubt he's up to the task. Polls have repeatedly shown that people don't think Obama is tough enough.This is an extension of that.

Obama has never really struggled with giving good speeches; he has struggled with getting people to believe in him.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:32 pm

Hellsangel wrote:I think you are missing the point of the story, Comrade.
I think you missed this
This vote of no/little confidence, without a doubt, owes in part to the tough situations in the two Middle Eastern counties the United States has attempted to stabilize over the past decade: Afghanistan and Iraq. Given those experiences, it's not surprising that Americans would be pessimistic about succeeding against the Islamic State.
Not quite sure why do they want us get into a war knowing we will fail.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:19 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
I think you missed this
1. Afghanistan is  not in the Middle East.

2. The article is about Obama's foreign policy. Not about ISIS in particular. Try reading this as "Why would an Obama who inspires no confidence succeed where others have struggled?"
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:25 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
I think you missed this
1. Afghanistan is  not in the Middle East.

2. The article is about Obama's foreign policy. Not about ISIS in particular. Try reading this as "Why would an Obama who inspires no confidence succeed where others have struggled?"
Then why do they want him to start a war if they've no confidence in his capabilities? they want to see another 4000 americans dead, their logic baffles me.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down