Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Narendra Modi to Xi Jinping: India, China need to resolve border issue soon

Go down

Narendra Modi to Xi Jinping: India, China need to resolve border issue soon Empty Narendra Modi to Xi Jinping: India, China need to resolve border issue soon

Post by Seva Lamberdar Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:04 am

NEW DELHI: Prime Minister Narendra Modi candidly said on Thursday that solving the boundary issue between India and China is needed for growing economic cooperation between two countries.

"We need to resolve our boundary issue soon," Modi said on Thursday, addressing a joint press conference with visiting Chinese President Xi Jinping after official talks at Hyderabad House here.

"A clarification on the LAC (Line of Actual Control) is very important. It has been pending for years, it is time to start it again," he said.

The Prime Minister said he raised the issue of Chinese incursions in the border with India.

"The incidents that took place at the border, I expressed my concern over them. Peace and stability at the border is the foundation of economic possibilities," he said.

Modi said mutual trust and respect for each other's sensitivities and concerns, and peace and stability in our relations and along our borders are essential.

"If there is peace and stability, friendship and cooperation on the border, we can utilise the possibilities and contribute in each other's growth, and give a new direction to the world economy," he added.

Describing China as India's biggest neighbour and that it has a role in nation-building and foreign policy, Modi said he attched "importance and priority to relations with China".

Chinese President Xi Jinping Thursday said that both countries are capable of effectively managing the border situation.

"Both sides are capable of effectively managing the border situation and to settle the border disputes at the earliest," Xi said after holding talks with Prime Minister Narendra Modi here.

Xi said that we have the sincerity to work with India on the border issue.

He added that this issue should be dealt in a manner that it does not have an impact on ties.

China to open Nathu La route to Kailash Mansarovar

China will be opening an additional route to Kailash Mansarovar via Nathu La, Prime Minister Narendra Modi said on Thursday.

"I would like to thank (Chinese president) Xi Jinping on behalf of all Indians for a new route to Kailash Mansarovar. This new route, which will be opened through Nathu La, will be in addition to the existing route via Uttarakhand," Modi said during a joint press interaction with Xi at Hyderabad House here.

Modi said this decision will help more and more Indians reach Kailash Mansarovar, in particular the old, as transportation on motorcycles would be available on the new route.

"The pilgrims will be benefitted in a big way. Besides that, this road will remain safe during the rainy season, too," Modi added

Chinese President Xi Jinping shakes hands with Prime Minister Narendra Modi as his wife Peng Liyuan looks on during a ceremonial reception at Rashtrapati Bhawan)

China assures market access to Indian goods

Prime Minister Narendra Modi said he has been assured of greater access to Indian goods and investments by Chinese President Xi Jinping in a bid to bridge the yawning trade deficit between the two countries.

"I raised the issue of trade imbalance between the two countries. I urged President Xi to give our companies better market access and investment opportunities in China," Modi said.

"The Chinese president assured that he will take concrete steps in this regard."

India-China bilateral merchandise trade stood at $65.88 billion in 2013. While India's exports to China was valued at $14.50 billion, its imports were much larger at $51.37 billion, resulting in a large trade deficit.

Modi, while delivering his statement before the media after the talks at Hyderabad House here, India and China have much scope to increase economic cooperation, as it was way below the potential.

The Prime Minister said he was pleased with the inking of agreements between the two sides for two Chinese industrial parks in India and Beijing's commitment to invest around $20 billion in India over the next five years.

"I invited Chinese investments in infrastructure and manufacturing sectors. I am glad that two Chinese industrial parks will be built in India."

India, China ink a dozen agreements

India and China exchanged 12 documents on Thursday following talks between Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Chinese President Xi Jinping.

The first agreement was on a new route to Kailash Mansarovar, while two pacts were on trade development. There were also agreements on audio video co-production, on cooperation in railways and on exchanges between cultural institutions.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Narendra-Modi-to-Xi-Jinping-India-China-need-to-resolve-border-issue-soon/articleshow/42804686.cms
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down