Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland referendum - lessons for others

4 posters

Go down

Scotland referendum - lessons for others  Empty Scotland referendum - lessons for others

Post by truthbetold Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:02 pm

What is impressive about this Scottish referendum is that ,  it is done in a civilized way.

The governance dispute between Westminster and Scottish people was acknowledged by both sides. 
Then agreed to hold a referendum.  Both sides agreed to abide by the result of referendum. 

No violence but more importantly no hint or fear or an expectation of violence.

I wish Indian people and politicians learn to solve their differences through negotiations, compromise, give and take , and abiding by democratic principles.  To their credit Indian people stuck to democratic process despite some serious diversions. However Indian politicians of all shades are a known danger to civilized way of resolving problems. 

India's neighbors have a poor record on democratic credentials.  

There seems some desire in Pakistan to improve civilized way of problem resolution.  But jihadi extremism and army manipulation checks any progress towards democracy. 

Middle east is so entrenched in medieval thinking and religious strife, it may not have time for niceties such as civilization. 

But one can always hope.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Scotland referendum - lessons for others  Empty Re: Scotland referendum - lessons for others

Post by Kris Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:08 pm

truthbetold wrote:What is impressive about this Scottish referendum is that ,  it is done in a civilized way.

The governance dispute between Westminster and Scottish people was acknowledged by both sides. 
Then agreed to hold a referendum.  Both sides agreed to abide by the result of referendum. 

No violence but more importantly no hint or fear or an expectation of violence.

I wish Indian people and politicians learn to solve their differences through negotiations, compromise, give and take , and abiding by democratic principles.  To their credit Indian people stuck to democratic process despite some serious diversions. However Indian politicians of all shades are a known danger to civilized way of resolving problems. 

Not all is lost TBT. Our political leaders already know the taking part. We are halfway there.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Scotland referendum - lessons for others  Empty Re: Scotland referendum - lessons for others

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:11 pm

it hasn't always been this civilized in the UK. there was a lot of blood letting with the irish.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:31 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:it hasn't always been this civilized in the UK.  there was a lot of blood letting with the irish.
 I know.  I remember the movie Ryan's daughter.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:39 pm

truthbetold wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:it hasn't always been this civilized in the UK.  there was a lot of blood letting with the irish.
 I know.  I remember the movie Ryan's daughter.

have you watched ken loach's movies? the wind that shakes the barley, hidden agenda etc.?

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down