Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Karadaiyan Nonbu

2 posters

Go down

Karadaiyan Nonbu Empty Karadaiyan Nonbu

Post by Guest Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:04 am

A tambram friend of mine told me the other day that they have something almost exactly similar to the north indian Karva Chauth. It's Karadaiyan Nonbu, a very important festival in Tamilnadu. Women fast the whole day without any food or water for the welfare of their husbands. The only difference she said is that instead of seeing the moon before breaking the fast (as in karvachauth), they break the fast according to the time of some particular star, which sometimes could be even waaay past midnight.

PS: just fyi!

Back to top Go down

Karadaiyan Nonbu Empty Re: Karadaiyan Nonbu

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:14 pm

Kinnera wrote:A tambram friend of mine told me the other day that they have something almost exactly similar to the north indian Karva Chauth. It's Karadaiyan Nonbu, a very important festival in Tamilnadu. Women fast the whole day without any food or water for the welfare of their husbands. The only difference she said is that instead of seeing the moon before breaking the fast (as in karvachauth), they break the fast according to the time of some particular star, which sometimes could be even waaay past midnight.

PS: just fyi!

It is ONLY for Iyers.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by smArtha Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:20 am

This is the Vata Savitri Vrata observed in different parts of India to commemorate Savitri's immense devotion to her husband Satyavan who gets a fresh lease of life from Lord Yama who was impressed by Savitri's devotion to her husband. Observed as Vata Savitri Pournima or Vata Savitri Amavasya in the Soli-Lunar month of Jyesta.

smArtha

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum