Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nawab of Pataudi Saif Ali Khan: In defense of inter-religious marriages

+3
Kris
confuzzled dude
Vakavaka Pakapaka
7 posters

Go down

Nawab of Pataudi Saif Ali Khan: In defense of inter-religious marriages Empty Nawab of Pataudi Saif Ali Khan: In defense of inter-religious marriages

Post by Guest Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:52 am

http://indianexpress.com/article/opinion/columns/intermarriage-is-not-jihad-it-is-india/

Back to top Go down

Nawab of Pataudi Saif Ali Khan: In defense of inter-religious marriages Empty Re: Nawab of Pataudi Saif Ali Khan: In defense of inter-religious marriages

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:21 am

Muslim girls need education and jobs. If the country can achieve that, that will go a long way in integrating the Muslim community into mainstream India. 

Just imagining Hindu men marrying Muslim girls and mullahs burning in hatred! Hmm.......  I can see why sikular Mullahs are opposed to educating their girls.

Your H-M synthesis model will burn UP and Bihar into ashes unless bhaiyyas and miens pull themselves out of BIMARU.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Nawab of Pataudi Saif Ali Khan: In defense of inter-religious marriages Empty Re: Nawab of Pataudi Saif Ali Khan: In defense of inter-religious marriages

Post by confuzzled dude Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:27 am

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:Muslim girls need education and jobs. If the country can achieve that, that will go a long way in integrating the Muslim community into mainstream India. 

Just imagining Hindu men marrying Muslim girls and mullahs burning in hatred! Hmm.......  I can see why sikular Mullahs are opposed to educating their girls.

Your H-M synthesis model will burn UP and Bihar into ashes unless bhaiyyas and miens pull themselves out of BIMARU.
Hindu girls don't?! My bad! I forgot not many of them left..

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:07 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:Muslim girls need education and jobs. If the country can achieve that, that will go a long way in integrating the Muslim community into mainstream India. 

Hindu girls are already attending schools and outperforming boys (although more progress is certainly needed to empower them).

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:20 am

Rashmun wrote:http://indianexpress.com/article/opinion/columns/intermarriage-is-not-jihad-it-is-india/

>>>Khan's article reflects a balanced mind and reflective nature. I have heard some interviews with him and it is not difficult to see western sensibilities in him. The problem though is the love jihadi issue cropping up in the UK, Australia and India pertains to people who are zealots and have an explicit goal of converting women. Khan's article is almost of a diametrically opposite experience which involves a guy who seems to have healthy doubts about religion and borders on being an agnostic. The one question that I have always had about this guy is how he has made his peace with Bollywood. I hope he writes an article on it someday soon.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:29 am

Kris wrote:
Rashmun wrote:http://indianexpress.com/article/opinion/columns/intermarriage-is-not-jihad-it-is-india/

>>>Khan's article reflects a balanced mind and reflective nature. I have heard some interviews with him and it is not difficult to see western sensibilities in him. The problem though is the love jihadi issue cropping up in the UK, Australia and India pertains to people who are zealots and have an explicit goal of converting women. Khan's article is almost of a diametrically opposite experience which involves a guy who seems to have healthy doubts about religion and borders on being an agnostic. The one question that I have always had about this guy is how he has made his peace with Bollywood. I hope he writes an article on it someday soon.

One view is that this love jehad business is about converting Hindu women. Another view is that it is an artificial term coined and defined by Hindutva extremists with the objective being to pillory and excoriate M people so as to create a religious-communal divide and continue to reap the bounty of electoral victories through religious fundamentalism and communal polarization of the voters.

Back to top Go down

Post by michelle2 Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:01 am

i saw - not "watched" - a part of a movie in which he acted. he shouldn't have, and he shouldn't. no matter how he plays cricket, i suspect that he can play cricket better than he can act. i'll believe that non-hindu indians, especially muslims, enjoy religious freedom in india when they no longer feel obliged to announce that they have pooja rooms in their homes, and "kishTiangirls" don't feel that they're required to apply the vacuum to hindus.

michelle2

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:13 am

Rashmun wrote:
Kris wrote:

One view is that this love jehad business is about converting Hindu women. Another view is that it is an artificial term coined and defined by Hindutva extremists with the objective being to pillory and excoriate M people so as to create a religious-communal divide and continue to reap the bounty of electoral victories through religious fundamentalism and communal polarization of the voters.

>>>There are some nutcases in the UK and Australia who have been running around with this agenda. I have heard of this in Kerala as well. I agree there is a danger of conflating this with legitimate intermarriage. Khan's particular story is not that much different from Indian guys who have married girls they met in the US, in terms of compromises worked out  on religion (if that is important).  I am not sure why he threw his personal example into this mix.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:37 am

michelle2 wrote:i saw - not "watched" - a part of a movie in which he acted. he shouldn't have, and he shouldn't. no matter how he plays cricket, i suspect that he can play cricket better than he can act. i'll believe that non-hindu indians, especially muslims, enjoy religious freedom in india when they no longer feel obliged to announce that they have pooja rooms in their homes, and "kishTiangirls" don't feel that they're required to apply the vacuum to hindus.

There is a critical mistake that you are making in your analysis. Islam has been in India for more than a thousand years and it has very effectively become "hinduized". What I mean by hinduization of Islam is Muslims worshipping and doing pooja before tombs and shrines of Sufi saints. This act would be considered unacceptable and even blasphemous in the Middle East. It is not permitted to worship or show reference in any way to the tomb of Prophet Mohammad ( the rationale being that by doing so you are holding him on par with God). The vast majority of Indian Muslims follow Sufi Islam to the extent that they are happy to worship and do pooja before shrines and tombs of Sufi saints. It is the puritanical Indian Muslims who claim that doing this is blasphemous and refuse to offer any pooja before shrines and tombs of Sufi saints. Further the puritanical Indian Muslims, being fanatics, do not like it when they see any Muslim offering prayers before a tomb or shrine and there have been occasions when they have resorted to physical attack to prevent other Muslims from indulging in blasphemy. Fortunately these puritanical Muslims are in a clear minority. I suspect the strain of puritanical Islam followed by a clear minority of Muslims in India is a recent import into India and that traditional Indian Islam always involved respect and worship for the Sufi saints. ( One remembers in this connection that the ultra orthodox wahabi sect of Islam practiced in Saudi Arabia is of relatively recent origin.)

Now one peculiar feature of the Sufi saints is that they sing songs in praise of Allah but they also sing in their songs praise for Hindu gods like Rama, Krishna, Shiva, etc. So if a muslim respects and worships Sufi saints he will be naturally inclined to also respect the Hindu gods who were shown respect by the Sufi saints.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:33 am

Rashmun wrote:
michelle2 wrote:i saw - not "watched" - a part of a movie in which he acted. he shouldn't have, and he shouldn't. no matter how he plays cricket, i suspect that he can play cricket better than he can act. i'll believe that non-hindu indians, especially muslims, enjoy religious freedom in india when they no longer feel obliged to announce that they have pooja rooms in their homes, and "kishTiangirls" don't feel that they're required to apply the vacuum to hindus.

There is a critical mistake that you are making in your analysis. Islam has been in India for more than a thousand years and it has very effectively become "hinduized". What I mean by hinduization of Islam is Muslims worshipping and doing pooja before tombs and shrines of Sufi saints. This act would be considered unacceptable and even blasphemous in the Middle East. It is not permitted to worship or show reference reverence in any way to the tomb of Prophet Mohammad ( the rationale being that by doing so you are holding him on par with God). The vast majority of Indian Muslims follow Sufi Islam to the extent that they are happy to worship and do pooja before shrines and tombs of Sufi saints. It is the puritanical Indian Muslims who claim that doing this is blasphemous and refuse to offer any pooja before shrines and tombs of Sufi saints. Further the puritanical Indian Muslims, being fanatics, do not like it when they see any Muslim offering prayers before a tomb or shrine and there have been occasions when they have resorted to physical attack to prevent other Muslims from indulging in blasphemy. Fortunately these puritanical Muslims are in a clear minority. I suspect the strain of puritanical Islam followed by a clear minority of Muslims in India is a recent import into India and that traditional Indian Islam always involved respect and worship for the Sufi saints. ( One remembers in this connection that the ultra orthodox wahabi sect of Islam practiced in Saudi Arabia is of relatively recent origin.)

Now one peculiar feature of the Sufi saints is that they sing songs in praise of Allah but they also sing in their songs praise for Hindu gods like Rama, Krishna, Shiva, etc. So if a muslim respects and worships Sufi saints he will be naturally inclined to also respect the Hindu gods who were shown respect by the Sufi saints.

*corrected*

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:25 pm

Rashmun wrote:

There is a critical mistake that you are making in your analysis. Islam has been in India for more than a thousand years and it has very effectively become "hinduized". What I mean by hinduization of Islam is Muslims worshipping and doing pooja before tombs and shrines of Sufi saints. This act would be considered unacceptable and even blasphemous in the Middle East. It is not permitted to worship or show reference in any way to the tomb of Prophet Mohammad ( the rationale being that by doing so you are holding him on par with God). The vast majority of Indian Muslims follow Sufi Islam to the extent that they are happy to worship and do pooja before shrines and tombs of Sufi saints. It is the puritanical Indian Muslims who claim that doing this is blasphemous and refuse to offer any pooja before shrines and tombs of Sufi saints. Further the puritanical Indian Muslims, being fanatics, do not like it when they see any Muslim offering prayers before a tomb or shrine and there have been occasions when they have resorted to physical attack to prevent other Muslims from indulging in blasphemy. Fortunately these puritanical Muslims are in a clear minority. I suspect the strain of puritanical Islam followed by a clear minority of Muslims in India is a recent import into India and that traditional Indian Islam always involved respect and worship for the Sufi saints. ( One remembers in this connection that the ultra orthodox wahabi sect of Islam practiced in Saudi Arabia is of relatively recent origin.)

[size=60]my views about religious freedom, especially in india, are well represented by the following excerpt from my previous post:[/size]

[size=60]"i'll believe that non-hindu indians, especially muslims, enjoy religious freedom in india when they no longer feel obliged to announce that they have pooja rooms in their homes, and "kishTiangirls" don't feel that they're required to apply the vacuum to hindus."[/size]

[size=59]and that's true regardless of the religious philosophy of the sufis.[/size]

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:10 pm

swapna wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

[size=60]my views about religious freedom, especially in india, are well represented by the following excerpt from my previous post:[/size]

[size=60]"i'll believe that non-hindu indians, especially muslims, enjoy religious freedom in india when they no longer feel obliged to announce that they have pooja rooms in their homes, and "kishTiangirls" don't feel that they're required to apply the vacuum to hindus."[/size]

[size=59]and that's true regardless of the religious philosophy of the sufis.[/size]

but muslims with pooja rooms are doing synthu with enthu, don't you know!
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:16 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
swapna wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

but muslims with pooja rooms are doing synthu with enthu, don't you know!

Max shouldn't you be hanging your head in shame after Kannadigas thrashed a Manipuri man in Bangalore because he did not know kannada? Or is this what you were hoping for all along ? Your message of intolerance through language based chauvinism has a natural culmination in physical violence.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:36 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:

Did some hindu swamy issue any fatwa against hindu girls going to school or any hindu terrorist behead hindu girl?

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down