Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

another ted talk

3 posters

Go down

another ted talk Empty another ted talk

Post by pravalika nanda Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:48 pm

http://www.ted.com/talks/joy_sun_should_you_donate_differently#t-439395

this lady has interesting thoughts on delivering pure cash directly to families (through mobile banking). i'm not sure what to think of it.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

another ted talk Empty Re: another ted talk

Post by pravalika nanda Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:58 pm

http://www.ted.com/talks/janette_sadik_khan_new_york_s_streets_not_so_mean_any_more#t-5024

this is a nyc transportation commissioner and I really enjoyed her talk about how the city streets were made people-friendly and became more safer for pedestrians. she also talks about the new bike lanes and the citibike.

I like how the idea starts off and is quickly and efficiently implemented with no major logistical issues, except that one she mentions at prospect park in Brooklyn, but those are just idiots living there and they like to complain about everything.

Anythow this idea can be implemented in different parts of the world.

My only grouse is, all that stuff they did in times square doesn't really benefit your average new Yorker - the person who lives there or works there.
most of those people who're sitting in those lawn chairs are people who're on vacation. And those people in the bike lanes, other than the messenger boys are also visitors, mostly Europeans and a sprinkling of local students. Actual new Yorkers do not benefit from this. They're usually taking cabs or they walk it. In most of parts of New York ( I know, cuz I spent a lot of vacation time there as a kid, visiting my cousins) my generation was not even allowed to ride bicycles because that's how unsafe the streets were. People in upstate and maybe queens could but everywhere else there was so much crime and the streets were so unsafe that I literally did not see any children in bicycles.

So I think they really need to expand this program to benefit new Yorkers who live there. And your average new Yorker does not live in times square. If you're a new Yorker and it's your tax money, you deserve to have it work for you, not some Brazilian on a vacation.

Second, the city has become impossible to live in. Rents in the main city areas used to be about 1700 for a studio, so people started to move out to Brooklyn, and now rents there are like 1900 for a studio and now people are moving to new jersey, a place that is full of huts, a truly forested area cuz life in the city is simply unaffordable. What's happening is now 0.1%- type foreigners are living in nyc, not real New Yorkers, I'm sorry to say. And they don't know how to dress in that edgy way either.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:06 pm

give more tips to poor food delivery ppl

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:23 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:give more tips to poor food delivery ppl
no, I'm going to do what rama did to the squirrel: i'll just stroke their back and leave some fingerprints behind. why tip when you can stroke?

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:27 pm

Props, tipping is only reserved for people who don't look Mexican enough to automatically be mistaken for an illegal, tax-evading alien from Tihuana so underseving of a tip who should be merely thanked for not dripping into the foyer while delivering in the pouring rain.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:07 pm

pravalika nanda wrote:
no, I'm going to do what rama did to the squirrel: i'll just stroke their back and leave some fingerprints behind. why tip when you can stroke?

hand jobs in lieu of an extra dollar...there must be recession where you live

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down