Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OS Arun -Thumbam Nergayil- Desh - Aadhi - Bharathidhasan

3 posters

Go down

OS Arun -Thumbam Nergayil- Desh - Aadhi - Bharathidhasan Empty OS Arun -Thumbam Nergayil- Desh - Aadhi - Bharathidhasan

Post by FluteHolder Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:47 pm

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

OS Arun -Thumbam Nergayil- Desh - Aadhi - Bharathidhasan Empty Re: OS Arun -Thumbam Nergayil- Desh - Aadhi - Bharathidhasan

Post by goodcitizn Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:27 pm

Beautiful lyrics, beautiful raga and beautiful accompaniment.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

OS Arun -Thumbam Nergayil- Desh - Aadhi - Bharathidhasan Empty Re: OS Arun -Thumbam Nergayil- Desh - Aadhi - Bharathidhasan

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:38 pm

this is a nice version. there is also my favorite version by sanjay subramaniam. here is a pedestrian cinematic version by unni, but that's not why i am posting it.  it is preceded for the first three minutes by a commentary by dhandapANi desikar who set bharathidasan's song to music and he explains very humorously why he chose desh. in fact desikar's version is the one sung by most musicians today. desikar's explanation is a real treat:

MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:52 pm

Desikar's commentary was witty. Pan enbathu pannappaduvadhu is a great line. Twenty years ago Unni had just finished a late night kacheri and still made it to the studio to sing for my music album. Next to PBS his voice has that youthful, melodious quality which is the reason I had elected him to sing a sad love song.

Thunbam nergayil fills me with the same emotion as Rajaji's Kurai ondrum illai.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:50 pm

There is one version by Seerkazhi. I am unable to find that, and the one by Sanjay. Both are good.

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:13 pm

here is an entire program of sanjay subrahmaniam and music critic v.sriram talking about dhandapANi desikar's padhathi. the song in question is discussed around the 24 min mark.

http://hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/1/8/3/1833098c8fd28d46/SSS_Episode_010.mp3?c_id=2709792&expiration=1415332518&hwt=6e78c056a0f77517a998f79e2f83a128
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down