Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dalit writer and author of famous book "Oorar Varaintha Oviyam" attacked for writing against atrocities on dalits

Go down

Dalit writer and author of famous book "Oorar Varaintha Oviyam" attacked for writing against atrocities on dalits Empty Dalit writer and author of famous book "Oorar Varaintha Oviyam" attacked for writing against atrocities on dalits

Post by Guest Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:24 pm

http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/tamil-nadu/dalit-writer-attacked/article6795780.ece

Back to top Go down

Dalit writer and author of famous book "Oorar Varaintha Oviyam" attacked for writing against atrocities on dalits Empty Re: Dalit writer and author of famous book "Oorar Varaintha Oviyam" attacked for writing against atrocities on dalits

Post by Guest Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:29 pm

Durai Guna, a native of Kulathiranpattu, belonging to Dalit community submitted a petition to the authorities. Speaking to Express, Durai said, “I wrote a story in the book titled Oorar Varaindha Oviyam (Art painted by villagers), which was released on July 12 at Gandhi park in Karambakudi. In the book, I narrated various atrocities perpetrated by caste Hindus of the area on Dalits. Since then, several persons have made threat calls to me and my family members, including my father, Duraisamy, and my wife, Gokila.”
On August 5, a section of Dalit residents, including Thangaraj village panchayat president, P Ganeshan, Pilakurichi village panchayat vice president, Manickam son of Malaiyappan, Sasikumar son of Kaliyaperumal, Sankaran son of Mongan, came and asked me to leave the village. According to them, the caste Hindus were unhappy with their depiction in my book and they wanted me to leave the village along with my family,” he claimed.

The author said that the group claimed that 10 Dalits had been terminated from their jobs by the caste Hindus to drive home the point. They also prevented the Dalits from grazing their cattle on their farm lands, besides asserting that no Dalit should come to the village bazaar. The caste Hindu shop keepers also refused to do business with Dalits,” he elaborated.

http://www.newindianexpress.com/states/tamil_nadu/Dalit-Writers-Father-Attacked-in-Pudukkottai/2014/10/28/article2496755.ece

Back to top Go down