Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ramanujan: letters from an indian clerk

5 posters

Go down

ramanujan: letters from an indian clerk Empty ramanujan: letters from an indian clerk

Post by bw Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:20 am

features mrs.ramanujan on and off - starting from 9:52 or so

bw

Back to top Go down

ramanujan: letters from an indian clerk Empty Re: ramanujan: letters from an indian clerk

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:49 am

I saw this a few years ago. But watched it again. Truly inspirational, and of course, humbling.

His lady was also amazing...

(And then we have THIS movie).

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

ramanujan: letters from an indian clerk Empty Re: ramanujan: letters from an indian clerk

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:27 am

i've watched this before. may have even posted this clip before. i loved listening to chandra talking to her in tamil. wish i could watch the original conversation in tamil. understandably they recorded over it with the english translation.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:33 am

i am sure all these poor mathematicians like bruce berndt and others who have spent their lifetimes working on the notebooks will now heed sadhguruji's conclusion that nobody understands his work to this day. i say unto them, give up and give yourself to the service of sadhguruji. better start researching water memory.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:28 pm

He probably should have agreed to his wife's plea to let her accompany him to England. Her love and care, including the proper home cooked veg. meals by her (in England), might have kept him in good health and not let him die prematurely.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:57 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i am sure all these poor mathematicians like bruce berndt and others who have spent their lifetimes working on the notebooks will now heed sadhguruji's conclusion that nobody understands his work to this day. i say unto them, give up and give yourself to the service of sadhguruji. better start researching water memory.

sadhguru said that? if he did, he, and more importantly, his followers, are even bigger idiots than i think they are.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:48 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:I saw this a few years ago. But watched it again. Truly inspirational, and of course, humbling.

Has anyone looked into the possibility that he might have been poisoned or deliberately infected due to professional jealousy (as a great mathematician). Note, from his early photographs he appears to be in quite good / robust health. Moreover, as the above video shows, such as his wife / widow living a very long life, the TB probably was not a disease in their family. It seems he caught the whole thing / bug after going abroad and his being a vegetarian or eating only the certain foods (vegetarian) might not be the real cause behind his sickness and death.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:25 pm

Seva Lamberdar wrote:
Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:I saw this a few years ago. But watched it again. Truly inspirational, and of course, humbling.

Has anyone looked into the possibility that he might have been poisoned or deliberately infected due to professional jealousy (as a great mathematician). Note, from his early photographs he appears to be in quite good / robust health. Moreover, as the above video shows, such as his wife / widow living a very long life, the TB probably was not a disease in their family. It seems he caught the whole thing / bug after going abroad and his being a vegetarian or eating only the certain foods (vegetarian) might not be the real cause behind his sickness and death.
oh wow, i think i like this line of thinking. he's so much more interesting now. oh boy, what a great story that would be.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:09 pm

pravalika nanda wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:

oh wow, i think i like this line of thinking. he's so much more interesting now. oh boy, what a great story that would be.
That's right P.N.

Anyway, there is more circumstantial evidence about the possibility of foul play leading to the untimely sickness  and death of this great mathematician. There was a mention in the video about his writing home from the English Univ. (or telling people, his wife etc., after returning to India) that his health situation would become worse whenever he visited a doctor / physician  (and supposedly took the prescribed medicine) while he was living abroad.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:22 am

Seva Lamberdar wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:

That's right P.N.

Anyway, there is more circumstantial evidence about the possibility of foul play leading to the untimely sickness  and death of this great mathematician. There was a mention in the video about his writing home from the English Univ. (or telling people, his wife etc., after returning to India) that his health situation would become worse whenever he visited a doctor / physician  (and supposedly took the prescribed medicine) while he was living abroad.
It was not just the disease (whatever, not necessarily the TB) which Ramanujan picked up and made him sick after arriving at the university in England for higher studies and work in mathematics, in spite of starting in the beginning in relatively good health, living and working in the clean English university environment and probably being a non-smoker and non-drinker (all the conditions not conducive to getting inflicted with the TB suddenly and quickly, in just a few years), but the cure / treatment he received to alleviate his condition also seemed to make him worse (sicker), which clearly indicates that he had picked up, accidentally or otherwise, something more serious and quickly spreading than usually would in the case of TB.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:49 am

Seva Lamberdar wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:

That's right P.N.

It was not just the disease (whatever, not necessarily the TB) which Ramanujan picked up and made him sick after arriving at the university in England for higher studies and work in mathematics, in spite of starting in the beginning in relatively good health, living and working in the clean English university environment and probably being a non-smoker and non-drinker (all the conditions not conducive to getting inflicted with the TB suddenly and quickly, in just a few years), but the cure / treatment he received to alleviate his condition also seemed to make him worse (sicker), which clearly indicates that he had picked up, accidentally or otherwise, something more serious and quickly spreading than usually would in the case of TB.
I heard that every time he goes to see a doctor, he's hopeful. But after that, he goes into despair because the doctors can't figure out what's wrong with him. If it's TB, how hard is it to diagnose TB? It's a bacterial infection. Should be so easy to detect. Maybe he was slow poisoned.

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:11 am

Kinnera wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:
That's right P.N.

I heard that every time he goes to see a doctor, he's hopeful. But after that, he goes into despair because the doctors can't figure out what's wrong with him. If it's TB, how hard is it to diagnose TB? It's a bacterial infection. Should be so easy to detect. Maybe he was slow poisoned.
Interesting observation, Kinnera ... thanks.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:52 pm

The above comments blogged on Sulekha, as "Interesting Youtube-Video About The Great Indian Mathematician Ramanujan" .. 
http://creative.sulekha.com/interesting-youtube-video-about-the-great-indian-mathematician-ramanujan_622401_blog
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down