Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Girl Punished for Sporting a Tilak for her birthday

+10
MaxEntropy_Man
Seva Lamberdar
truthbetold
Merlot Daruwala
Hellsangel
seven
southindian
Propagandhi711
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
rawemotions
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Girl Punished for Sporting a Tilak for her birthday - Page 2 Empty Re: Girl Punished for Sporting a Tilak for her birthday

Post by Seva Lamberdar Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:58 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:tl;dr. what's the conclusion. is it established if brahmins are evil or not...if so, which sects and how do you recognise them. need the cliffs
LOL.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Girl Punished for Sporting a Tilak for her birthday - Page 2 Empty Re: Girl Punished for Sporting a Tilak for her birthday

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:51 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:tl;dr. what's the conclusion. is it established if brahmins are evil or not...if so, which sects and how do you recognise them. need the cliffs

Only Carvaka can answer this! Looks like he is depressed that Kraziwallah is behaving like a Telangana Karanam.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:54 pm

Rashmun wrote:
Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:
swapna wrote:
Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:
What history and Brahmins suppressing non-Brahmins as a historical fact? More than 90% of my teachers in Govt. schools in H.P. were non-Brahmins (form farming castes etc.). If there was a history of Brahmins exploiting / suppressing non-Brahmins in the past, I am sure some of them (at least one or two) would have talked about it in and out of class, but that never happened.  The first time I learnt / heard about it in our area, i.e. "Brahmins had exploited other castes people in the past", was when a young girl (in grade 6 or so) returned home from her Convent school and talked about the lesson on "moral" education that day by a Keralite nun (teacher).

Remember that in TN, you have Iyers, Iyengars and DKheads who entertain everyone..........

When I lived in India, I went on a SI tour with an Iyengar friend of mine. His grand-father was the main priest of a very famous Vaishnavite temple. His father and mother lived in Madras. When my friend and I visited his parents' house, his mother and father were keeping an eye on me. When his mother served food, she was checking to see if I knew the traditional way of eating. I ended up following all the rituals there are in my family (we are not Vaishnavites). They didn't say anything to me and I didn't let them know that I detected their scrutiny. The food was good! :-)

what is "the traditional way of eating," other than using one's fingers?
There is no point in explaining it to you. Consider yourself lucky that your fingers and mouth do all the thinking. :-)

Being an Advaitin, it is likely that Vakavaka worships (offers prayers to) food before he consumes it. After all everything is Brahman(God) according to Advaita, including food.
It is very much an Advaita philosophy to worship food before consuming it. Food is Brahman too. God everywhere and in everything.

“Brahmarpanam Brahma Havir Brahmagnau Brahmana Hutam Brahmaiva Tena Ghantavyam Brahmakarma Samadhina” 

(Translation: The act of offering is Brahman. The offering itself is Brahman. The offering is done by Brahman in the sacred fire which is Brahman. He alone attains Brahman who, in all actions, is fully absorbed in Brahman.)

Blessing Our Food As Part of God

Before I eat, I bless my food. For many people, saying grace in childhood was a time of impatience when adults were controlling the situation, but I’ve discovered that it can become a moment to reawaken a living truth. When I get food, I hold the food up or sit with my hands beside my plate, and I say a blessing. And then I just think about it for a moment and I realize that this whole ritual of praying over food is part of all form, it’s part of law, it’s part of the universe. The food I’m praying over, the bowl of oatmeal or whatever I’m eating, is part of God and I, who am making this prayer, offering up this food, am part of God. And the hunger that I’m using the oatmeal to quiet, the pangs in my stomach, the desires, the fire which will consume this food, that’s also part of God. And I begin to sense the oneness of everything; I start to experience a quietness and then I understand that the deeper I appreciate that it is all one, the deeper I become one with it all, and sense that all separateness is over. I use this prayer all the time to remind me of this, to bring me home. I’ve gotten so that now I really can’t sit down to a meal without doing this. Sometimes in a restaurant I just quietly go inward; I don’t have to make a production out of it, I don’t have to stop other people from eating.
“Brahmarpanam Brahma Havir Brahmagnau Brahmana Hutam Brahmaiva Tena Ghantavyam Brahmakarma Samadhina”   (Translation: The act of offering is Brahman. The offering itself is Brahman. The offering is done by Brahman in the sacred fire which is Brahman. He alone attains Brahman who, in all actions, is fully absorbed in Brahman.)
So I suggest that the next time you are waiting for food to be served, feeling impatient or hungry, that you use it as a chance to think of God. And then when you receive the food, say a blessing and let the food remind you that all is one. Then eat. And slowly, as you just watch, rituals can become rigid things or they can become loose things. And slowly over time this ritual becomes a living statement of our connection to the divine; of our at-oneness with everything manifest in the universe.

https://www.ramdass.org/blessing-our-food-part-of-god/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:03 pm

The strong anti-brahmin movement is seen only in TN, nowhere else in India.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:08 pm

Kinnera wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Being an Advaitin, it is likely that Vakavaka worships (offers prayers to) food before he consumes it. After all everything is Brahman(God) according to Advaita, including food.
It is very much an Advaita philosophy to worship food before consuming it. Food is Brahman too. God everywhere and in everything.

“Brahmarpanam Brahma Havir Brahmagnau Brahmana Hutam Brahmaiva Tena Ghantavyam Brahmakarma Samadhina” 

(Translation: The act of offering is Brahman. The offering itself is Brahman. The offering is done by Brahman in the sacred fire which is Brahman. He alone attains Brahman who, in all actions, is fully absorbed in Brahman.)
btw...that verse is from the Bhagavad Gita, Chapter 4, verse 24

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:32 pm

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:
swapna wrote:
Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:Remember that in TN, you have Iyers, Iyengars and DKheads who entertain everyone..........

When I lived in India, I went on a SI tour with an Iyengar friend of mine. His grand-father was the main priest of a very famous Vaishnavite temple. His father and mother lived in Madras. When my friend and I visited his parents' house, his mother and father were keeping an eye on me. When his mother served food, she was checking to see if I knew the traditional way of eating. I ended up following all the rituals there are in my family (we are not Vaishnavites). They didn't say anything to me and I didn't let them know that I detected their scrutiny. The food was good! :-)

There is no point in explaining it to you. Consider yourself lucky that your fingers and mouth do all the thinking. :-)

he does talk out of the ass a lot so it's likely there's a thinking brain in there somewhere

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:35 pm

Kinnera wrote:

Indeed!
:-)

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:36 pm

Kinnera wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

if all food is Brahman (God) then what is the difference between eating beef and eating bread? Particularly so, since beef eating is described and endorsed in the Vedas by people like the famous Yajnavalkya who figures in many of the philosophical discourses in the Upanisads.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:47 pm

Rashmun wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

if all food is Brahman (God) then what is the difference between eating beef and eating bread? Particularly so, since beef eating is described and endorsed in the Vedas by people like the famous Yajnavalkya who figures in many of the philosophical discourses in the Upanisads.
Why can't you go and eat frogs and snakes and octopuses like the chinese?  They are food too. Why do you just stop at beef and chicken?

I think VP and I talked abt your constant blabbering that some vedic sages ate beef and hence hindus shld be eating beef. I have no interest to get into a stupid and worthless conversation with you.

Go preach to the muslims to eat pigs and see how many parts of your body will be left intact.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:24 pm

Kinnera wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

Why can't you go and eat frogs and snakes and octopuses like the chinese?  They are food too. Why do you just stop at beef and chicken?

I think VP and I talked abt your constant blabbering that some vedic sages ate beef and hence hindus shld be eating beef. I have no interest to get into a stupid and worthless conversation with you.

Go preach to the muslims to eat pigs and see how many parts of your body will be left intact.

my point is that since hindu vedic sages were eating beef what is the problem if some non-hindus wish to eat beef in india? why ban beef eating--as the BJP govts in Maharashtra and Haryana have done?

my further point is that there is no difference between beef, bread, or pork according to Advaita. They are all Brahman(God). This being so Advaitins should be ok with eating beef, pork, frogs, snakes, etc. After all these are no different from sambar and idli according to Advaita--they are all Brahman(God).

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:31 pm

Kinnera wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

Yeah - Dr. PBUH and the Afghan gentleman are the most enlightened Advaitins. From a DIL to a donkey, they are all Brahman.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:36 pm

Rashmun wrote:
Kinnera wrote:Why can't you go and eat frogs and snakes and octopuses like the chinese?  They are food too. Why do you just stop at beef and chicken?

my point is that since hindu vedic sages were eating beef what is the problem if some non-hindus wish to eat beef in india? why ban beef eating--as the BJP govts in Maharashtra and Haryana have done?

my further point is that there is no difference between beef, bread, or pork according to Advaita. They are all Brahman(God). This being so Advaitins should be ok with eating beef, pork, frogs, snakes, etc. After all these are no different from sambar and idli according to Advaita--they are all Brahman(God).
You were blabbering abt hindus eating beef for years, even before it was banned in maharashtra. The logic to opposing the ban is not to bring in what ppl ate or didn't eat during the vedic period, but a simple logic that no one has a right to control the food choices of others. 

Oh well, dogs and cats and wolves and elephants and crows and eagles and monkeys, etc are Bhahman too. so you want the Advaitins to eat them all too. Oh wait...there's Brahman in fellow humans too. You want the advaitins to turn into cannibals? What kind of stupid are you?
Seeing divinity everywhere helps one to be respectful, appreciative, humble and all. It doesn't mean go eat everything up. jeez!

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:25 pm

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:
swapna wrote:
Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:
What history and Brahmins suppressing non-Brahmins as a historical fact? More than 90% of my teachers in Govt. schools in H.P. were non-Brahmins (form farming castes etc.). If there was a history of Brahmins exploiting / suppressing non-Brahmins in the past, I am sure some of them (at least one or two) would have talked about it in and out of class, but that never happened.  The first time I learnt / heard about it in our area, i.e. "Brahmins had exploited other castes people in the past", was when a young girl (in grade 6 or so) returned home from her Convent school and talked about the lesson on "moral" education that day by a Keralite nun (teacher).

Remember that in TN, you have Iyers, Iyengars and DKheads who entertain everyone..........

(They have rituals to prepare themselves for the meal; recite some verses that suggest that the food is God and the one eating is God, etc., they don't talk when they eat, they have another ritual after completing the meal and they don't get up until the elderly complete their meal......).

that's a valid question: you mean you sit down and say a brief 10s prayer, put water in your hand and encircle the plate and put aside the first grains of rice for god, and at the completion of the meal the elders at the meal say sukhibhava - may you live long.

Last edited by pravalika nanda on Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:27 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ...)

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:29 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
swapna wrote:
Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:

there are elaborate rituals involving water and rice. one of my grandfathers was a stickler about this sort of thing.

http://www.tamilbrahmins.com/rituals-ceremonies-pujas/3642-before-after-food-mantram.html

lol

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:18 am

swapna wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:
swapna wrote:
Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:

thanks for the information, rashmun.

Since Rashmun misled you, I think I should clarify (with some detail).

I come from an area on the east coast called Velanadu. This area was ruled by Satavahanas (around 250 BC) who established the local traditions following Baudhayana's (comes from Godavari area, around 800 BC) and Apasthamba's (also comes from Godavari area) sutras. Both these sages worked on Taittareeya Upanishad and the traditions established by Satavahanas depended on their works. (Incidentally, Baudhayana was also a mathematician - he wrote Sulba sutras). While Satavahanas were an Andhra dynasty, their empire extended into Maharashtra, Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh, etc. So, their cultural imprint was extended to those areas as well. In Kerala, Namboodris follow Baudhayana. Sankara, for example, comes from such a family. When he was a kid doing his sandhya vandanam, he probably did it like we do in our house.

The "eating method" that Max posted is a watered down version of Baudhayana's method. Satavahana's cultural aspects filtered down to TN through Pallavas (who originally were from Andhra). Along with Pallavas, Vedic scholars from Andhra migrated to parts of TN. During Krishnadevaraya's time also, there was a significant migration into TN. Tanjavur area, for example, benefited from this migration during the Nayaka era. So, similarities in customs between TN Iyers and Andhra Brahmins is not surprising. In our house, Taittareeyam is recited as part of our rituals. Perhaps, Iyers don't (I don't know this for sure).

During the Satavahana period, several yagas and yajnas were performed. Velanadu area was famous for "nityagnihotris" and "agraharas".  If you know a little bit about how traditional Namboodris in Kerala live, you can guess how the people in Velanadu lived.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:13 pm

thanks for teaching me about the satavahanas, vvpp.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by rawemotions Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:24 pm

Kinnera wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

Good counter, and well said!

rawemotions

Back to top Go down

Post by rawemotions Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:29 pm

Kinnera wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Kinnera wrote:Why can't you go and eat frogs and snakes and octopuses like the chinese?  They are food too. Why do you just stop at beef and chicken?

You were blabbering abt hindus eating beef for years, even before it was banned in maharashtra. The logic to opposing the ban is not to bring in what ppl ate or didn't eat during the vedic period, but a simple logic that no one has a right to control the food choices of others. 

Oh well, dogs and cats and wolves and elephants and crows and eagles and monkeys, etc are Bhahman too. so you want the Advaitins to eat them all too. Oh wait...there's Brahman in fellow humans too. You want the advaitins to turn into cannibals? What kind of stupid are you?
Seeing divinity everywhere helps one to be respectful, appreciative, humble and all. It doesn't mean go eat everything up. jeez!
You are on a Roll!

rawemotions

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2